Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GasGuy2010 said:
Okay since I see two ppl currently online. Is it okay to email the withdrawal?

I'd call and ask if that's OK before you email it... Some schools like to have something w/ your signature..

Members don't see this ad.

TGF-beta_2 said:
I love being right
Yeah, I missed this too?
Maybe I'll miss some people more than others....

I think TGF-beta2 is talking about how GasGuy withdrew for similiar reasons to TGF (uncertainty about the school b/c it's a new program, not willing to risk his/her other offers for the early commitment to CCLCM).

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, never had a problem.

geekOCD said:
Me too, never had a problem.

Only one of my schools made me send in a real letter.... Maybe they don't know how to use email :rolleyes:

QofQuimica said:
I bet I can guess which one. :smuggrin: :p

'dem Arkansas people; they don't like those new fangled contraptions like compeeters.... :laugh:

A big smile to the person who can tell me:
What medical school Micheal DeBakey went to?
The year he was on the cover of Time?
What did he use to make the first artifical vascular graft?

Visit the Michael DeBakey trend on the pre-allo page.

QofQuimica said:
Yes, it is ok. I've done all of my withdrawals by email.

Did you withdraw from ****?

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC-or-BUST said:
Wow... no one responses to my posts....
:(
whatever I'm out
Is that another withdraw,
wow... this thread may actually be the single worst, or maybe the weather, for CCLCM :laugh:

TGF-beta_2 said:
Is that another withdraw,
wow... this thread may actually be the single worst, or maybe the weather, for CCLCM :laugh:

Hon, I think you'll find the weather isn't any more pleasant in Pittsburgh...

lol, man y'all are somethin'. First of all, I'd think Q would let y'all know if she withdrew - she has plenty of other offers to withdraw from, so her post makes sense. Secondly, UNC is waitlisted for the clinic - he/she can't withdraw, and in fact wants more people to withdraw so he/she can get a spot.

If this thread is representative of the general accepted pool then there will be lots of waitlist movement! I can't believe how many people are dropping those acceptances, well I guess if you know then you know.

*crosses fingers* for UNC or Bust and bsteves

lol, it's only three people. :) I know that CCLCM accepts something very close to their class size, but I'm sure even they expect more than three people to drop.

geekOCD said:
lol, it's only three people. :) I know that CCLCM accepts something very close to their class size, but I'm sure even they expect more than three people to drop.

oops :) I haven't been on here in a while and all I saw on the last page were withdrawals, I guess I got a bit carried away.

Don't worry about it, I wasn't really responding to you, just to the general halo of anxiety/fear that was starting to ramp up on this thread. =)

hi saluki
i saw a few of your posts and i guess im in a very similar boat to you...
ive been accepted at cclcm along with uva and emory
i really liked the cclcm program, and to tell you the truth the board score thing doesnt scare me.. in fact a few of the things that drive me away from cleveland seem maybe even childish.. but nonetheless still play on my mind
1) im from the south, and while everyone in my family has heard of (and respects highly) uva and emory, very few of them know about the cleveland clinic at all, much less revere it like some of the southern schools..vandy duke emory etc.
2) i went to undergrad up north, in a place with weather very similar to cleveland, and i promised myself that if i had the chance id choose the southern weather again over the north.
3) though the small class size seems awesome for academics and getting to know students and faculty, it seems like it would be a strain on social life. i think a class size of 100-150 kids is a perfect amount when it comes to social life. you pretty much know everyone, but not so intimately that every single person is in your buisness. and i know this may seem like a minor issue, but if for some reason you do in fact have relations or something with a fellow student, and then things dont work out, i feel like 5 years is a hell of a long time to have to be in the same small group of 30 people with them.

so yea, i guess my issues do seem very petty. but i just wanted to share those with you, and see if any of those thoughts maybe crossed your mind. it seems from your posts that you are leaning to cclcm, and that vandy is 2nd. in all honesty i really dont think you can go wrong with either (as cliche as that statement just was).. myself, i like the idea of a city lifestyle, and i also like the "safe choice" which is why i think ill go with emory, and in your position, probably go with vandy. but God made people different for a reason! ;)

whattodowithmys said:
hi saluki
i saw a few of your posts and i guess im in a very similar boat to you...
ive been accepted at cclcm along with uva and emory
i really liked the cclcm program, and to tell you the truth the board score thing doesnt scare me.. in fact a few of the things that drive me away from cleveland seem maybe even childish.. but nonetheless still play on my mind
1) im from the south, and while everyone in my family has heard of (and respects highly) uva and emory, very few of them know about the cleveland clinic at all, much less revere it like some of the southern schools..vandy duke emory etc.

I responded to your concern about this on my MDapplicants as well, but I'm going to post here again for your benefit and my own:) I feel the exact same way about the name thing. Vandy and Case may be about the same in US news, and the Cleveland Clinic hospital is much higer ranked. But no one in the South has heard of it... Whereas Vandy is pretty much right after Yale and Harvard where I come from... However, I'm trying to look past that. In medical circles, Cleveland Clinic is very well respected; the program looks awesome; and those are the important things.

2) i went to undergrad up north, in a place with weather very similar to cleveland, and i promised myself that if i had the chance id choose the southern weather again over the north.

Ha- I guess I do find that concern a little bit shallow, though I won't say it hasn't crossed my mind. However, thanks to global warming, Cleveland's weather is getting better every year...

3) though the small class size seems awesome for academics and getting to know students and faculty, it seems like it would be a strain on social life. i think a class size of 100-150 kids is a perfect amount when it comes to social life. you pretty much know everyone, but not so intimately that every single person is in your buisness. and i know this may seem like a minor issue, but if for some reason you do in fact have relations or something with a fellow student, and then things dont work out, i feel like 5 years is a hell of a long time to have to be in the same small group of 30 people with them.

I've thought about this as well, but I don't think it's going to be bad.... First of all, you have Case Western med school, dental school, law school, grad school- all right down the street. The first two years you're with the same group of 32, but you're only with them a few hours a day, and honestly most people even at larger schools tend to study with the same people again and again. I wouldn't suggest getting into a relationship with a fellow student, unless you're a good looking guy, because in that case I'm available:) But once you're in the third year we'll be in rotations with Case students and there are always the 700 residents at the Clinic... Plenty of social options:)

so yea, i guess my issues do seem very petty. but i just wanted to share those with you, and see if any of those thoughts maybe crossed your mind. it seems from your posts that you are leaning to cclcm, and that vandy is 2nd. in all honesty i really dont think you can go wrong with either (as cliche as that statement just was).. myself, i like the idea of a city lifestyle, and i also like the "safe choice" which is why i think ill go with emory, and in your position, probably go with vandy. but God made people different for a reason! ;)

My mind isn't for sure made up. I tend not to be a risk taker, and Vandy is the safe bet. However, Mayo was my top choice, and Cleveland has a similar program. If I would turn down Cleveland, but I would have Mayo in a second, what does that say about my reasons for choosing? It means that in my heart, regardless of what I say, the prestige is guiding my decision rather than the excellence of the program... I really hope you'll go to Cleveland Clinic, because the program's reputation will build faster if great applicants choose to go there over other schools. However, as a fellow Southerner averse to risks, I'll definitely understand why if you choose to go to Emory.... :p

I'm not sure whether people thought that my post asking for Dr. Franco's email was indication that I was withdrawing from CCLCM, but for clarification I am not. I think the clinic is a great progam, and I am 90% sure that I will be there come July 10. So maybe that means only 2 withdrawals so far? . . . I hope so, because I really liked all the people at second look. :)

tree_monkey said:
I'm not sure whether people thought that my post asking for Dr. Franco's email was indication that I was withdrawing from CCLCM, but for clarification I am not. I think the clinic is a great progam, and I am 90% sure that I will be there come July 10. So maybe that means only 2 withdrawals so far? . . . I hope so, because I really liked all the people at second look. :)

Treemonkey- Where else are you deciding between? (you can pm me if you're one of those weird people that doesn't like advertising their whole life plan on the internet :p )

hey saluki,

are you hitting on me?.. cause if you are, its working :D haha..

thanks for your input. it seems to me like cclcm is where you really want to go.. if thats the case, congrats, it really does sound like what you are looking for. ill let yall know how my decision pans out..
take care!

Saluki said:
Treemonkey- Where else are you deciding between? (you can pm me if you're one of those weird people that doesn't like advertising their whole life plan on the internet :p )

Hey Saluki,

I am deciding between CCLCM and Wash U - like you said you are, I am stuggling with the prestige vs. fit-of-program thing.

How sure are you that you will be coming to the clinic? And did you come to second look . . . I wonder if we met?

tree_monkey said:
Hey Saluki,

I am deciding between CCLCM and Wash U - like you said you are, I am stuggling with the prestige vs. fit-of-program thing.

How sure are you that you will be coming to the clinic? And did you come to second look . . . I wonder if we met?

I'm about 95% sure I'm coming to the clinic, but the wave of withdrawals is making me nervous... The fact that you're seriously considering it against Wash U helps... Actually I met a 2nd year student who had come there over UMich, because of the fit and because she felt confident they'd do well in residency matching- it was really nice to hear.... I doubt I met you- I came late and left early (plane flights in and out of Arkansas are limited...) I had dirty blonde hair pulled back, and I'm a tall white girl, if that helps...

hi everyone,

i did not get to attend second look becasue of prior engagements. how many people were there? what did you guys think of the other people, and the weekend itself?

whattodowithmys said:
hi everyone,

i did not get to attend second look becasue of prior engagements. how many people were there? what did you guys think of the other people, and the weekend itself?

There were 34. I met 32. All 32 were awesome and the weekend was very very well planned out. It is a new medical school and the people running it seem very ambitious. The students seem the same way.

CWRUSOM on the other hand is a total party school. :laugh:

whattodowithmys said:
hi everyone,

I was there, and I'm super cool :laugh: Seriously, I only met a few people because I left early, but I really liked all the kids that I met... All of them seemed like a lot of fun, but definitely ambitious and serious about the schoolwork... The current students also seemed really nice... a couple nerdy ones, but that's to be expected in med school.... Altogether, I was really surprised by how normal and fun the other kids were- I guess I was expecting a whole bunch of lab rats... :p

Daichi Katase said:
There were 34. I met 32. All 32 were awesome and the weekend was very very well planned out. It is a new medical school and the people running it seem very ambitious. The students seem the same way.

CWRUSOM on the other hand is a total party school. :laugh:

that sounds like a nice weekend... so how many people do they/you think will be taken of the hold list.. and how many people are actually on the hold list.. does anybody know this?

I'd really like people with better info to help me, but I thought they put everyone on hold who interviewed but wasn't given an acceptance.... I'm not sure about the numbers... Anyone know that or how many people they expect to withdraw?

Saluki said:
I'd really like people with better info to help me, but I thought they put everyone on hold who interviewed but wasn't given an acceptance.... I'm not sure about the numbers... Anyone know that or how many people they expect to withdraw?

This is what I know:

Over 1,000 applied...

350 interviewed...

so I wouldnt be surprised if 280-300 kids are on hold.

WorkHrd PlayHrd said:
This is what I know:

Over 1,000 applied...

350 interviewed...

so I wouldnt be surprised if 280-300 kids are on hold.

i didnt know that many were interviewed..
wow, i really dont feel all that good about my chances anymore :(
out of curiosity, where did you find out those numbers?

Sooo.... they doubled the interview list from last year?
Well... atleast plenty of people are dropping!

bsteves4 said:
i didnt know that many were interviewed..
wow, i really dont feel all that good about my chances anymore :(
out of curiosity, where did you find out those numbers?

I called the school.

Yea its freakin competitive.

WorkHrd PlayHrd said:
I called the school.

Yea its freakin competitive.

Well after hearing those numbers, i guess im not really holding out hope for cclcm
for some reason i thought the hold list would be like 50 people, not 250

bsteves4 said:
Well after hearing those numbers, i guess im not really holding out hope for cclcm
Dude don't sweat it. There will be a lot of movement and even some of the holdees will turn CCLCM down. If you want it just update them.
:luck:
as long as your in somewhere... if not good luck with CCLCM

bsteves4 said:

Just to clarify.....I do not know how many people are actually on hold. I am only guessing that up to 300 people may be on hold.

however, the 350 interviewed is a fact.

I know, this waiting process sucks, so best of luck to everyone :luck:

WorkHrd PlayHrd said:
Just to clarify.....I do not know how many people are actually on hold. I am only guessing that up to 300 people may be on hold.

however, the 350 interviewed is a fact.

I know, this waiting process sucks, so best of luck to everyone :luck:
They have likely made a waitlist and rejection list by now.
We'll see a couple weeks....
300 on hold, maybe today but rejections should fly soon.
WOW... an extra 150 interviews... that can't be productive :confused:
QUESTION? where would you rank CCLCM on the USNRW list
I'd put it tied at #22, good but not in the top yet. Certainly not better than Mayo, at #22...

UNC-or-BUST said:
They have likely made a waitlist and rejection list by now.
We'll see a couple weeks....
300 on hold, maybe today but rejections should fly soon.
WOW... an extra 150 interviews... that can't be productive :confused:
QUESTION? where would you rank CCLCM on the USNRW list
I'd put it tied at #22, good but not in the top yet. Certainly not better than Mayo, at #22...

If they had to stand on their own which they don't for quite a while, they'd most likely be in the high 30's. They only have 83 million in NIH research grants per year (less than half of Mayo). Tufts gets about the same and they're 42 but I'd bump CCLCM up for reputation.

I really don't believe in the ranking for the most part though. I don't think that there is a big difference between a #20 school and a #40 school.

bee3 said:
If they had to stand on their own which they don't for quite a while, they'd most likely be in the high 30's. They only have 83 million in NIH research grants per year (less than half of Mayo). Tufts gets about the same and they're 42 but I'd bump CCLCM up for reputation.

I really don't believe in the ranking for the most part though. I don't think that there is a big difference between a #20 school and a #40 school.

Yea, but both Mayo and Cleveland Clinic emphasize that they the lower amount of NIH money is compensated by the huge amount of private research funding... (or at leas that's what they emphasized at the Mayo interview...) If not for that, I think Mayo, for sure, would be ranked higher... It's obviously hard to tell for Cleveland since it's brand new... In any case, I doubt it matters that much.... Mayo may be ranked #22, but a lot of people would pick it over the majority of the top twenty schools...

Also, I have this little pet theory... Every top ten hospital has a really great medical school... Even Mayo's, which isn't top ranked, has a ton of prestige... So, if you give CCLCM a couple years, it will be able to hold its own with the Dukes and Mayos of the world.... And then all of the people who withdrew (perhaps including me if I can't get my courage up:)) will sit and cry :laugh:

1200 + applied for 32 spots. It was competitive.

OK- let's play the math game..
If 1200 people applied for 32 spots, and let's say they had to fill the whole class from the hold list because all 32 withdrew (the doomsday scenario)... So, we have 64 accepted from 1200... An acceptance rate of 5.3%... The acceptance rate of Hopkins is 5.9%...
So, my calculations prove either that Cleveland Clinic is more competitive than Hopkins :laugh:

GWU and GT get about 9000 apps.... so statistically are those more competitive?
CCLCM is a great school, I would love to go there.
Lets just remember to keep atleast one foot on the ground... :thumbup:

UNC-or-BUST said:
GWU and GT get about 9000 apps.... so statistically are those more competitive?
CCLCM is a great school, I would love to go there.
Lets just remember to keep atleast one foot on the ground... :thumbup:

I was joking around... Don't take anything with a smiley face next to it too seriously..

Saluki said:
I was joking around... Don't take anything with a smiley face next to it too seriously..
oh this is serious... very very serious... :mad:

Saluki said:
OK- let's play the math game..
If 1200 people applied for 32 spots, and let's say they had to fill the whole class from the hold list because all 32 withdrew (the doomsday scenario)... So, we have 64 accepted from 1200... An acceptance rate of 5.3%... The acceptance rate of Hopkins is 5.9%...
So, my calculations prove either that Cleveland Clinic is more competitive than Hopkins :laugh:
One of the current students told me that 18 people from her second look are students there now, so 14 were from the waitlist.

You know, it doesn't matter what school you're talking about. These odds are meaningless because applicants aren't all interchangeable. Some people don't have a prayer in hell of getting into school X, while others are going to have the red carpet rolled out for them, regardless of whether there are one thousand applicants or one million. That is why my outcome at a school is not going to have much predictive value for yours; this process is extremely subjective. Consider an extreme example: if you apply to School X, and you don't get in, it's not going to turn your rejection into an acceptance if you find out that every other f***ing person who applied got accepted except for you, is it??? But the "odds" of getting accepted in that case would be 99.9%! :p Most schools reject some people post-interview. That's not because they don't have room for these people; they'd waitlist them if that were the case. It's because they don't want them.

QofQuimica said:
One of the current students told me that 18 people from her second look are students there now, so 14 were from the waitlist.

You know, it doesn't matter what school you're talking about. These odds are meaningless because applicants aren't all interchangeable. Some people don't have a prayer in hell of getting into school X, while others are going to have the red carpet rolled out for them, regardless of whether there are one thousand applicants or one million. That is why my outcome at a school is not going to have much predictive value for yours; this process is extremely subjective. Consider an extreme example: if you apply to School X, and you don't get in, it's not going to turn your rejection into an acceptance if you find out that every other f***ing person who applied got accepted except for you, is it??? But the "odds" of getting accepted in that case would be 99.9%! :p Most schools reject some people post-interview. That's not because they don't have room for these people; they'd waitlist them if that were the case. It's because they don't want them.

you go girl!!!