Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UNC-or-BUST said:
wow, thank you Q, thats awesome of you!!! Cool how you can do that, haha. No I'm not in yet, that was a pretent experience. I'm on hold, like all CCLCM applicant, not accepted. This waiting is getting ridiculous... I know April 15th, but dam I feel cutting it down to one spot and being done with it... still, all those high MCATers are likely to start dropping CCLCM acceptances for top 10s soon and then the rest of us can start getting excited. Stupid MCAT, I can't pay attention to a test for 8 hours, hey look a paper clip shaped like the StarShip Enterprise, I can barely pay attention while I type this.... mmmmm paper clip..... Oh, well I'll have to be a nobel person at another institution, hey look NO BELL PEpeRS ON my sandwich, HAHAHA dam what was I talking about, oh its there on the screen, {reading to self}, ahh! Yes, I can't pay attention, dam the simpsons are on
Bust, you are a total freak. We gotta get you in at CC. :thumbup: gcomplex, Bust here is volunteering for your clinical trial. :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Saluki said:
This thread gets confusing because so many people post on it regardless of whether they're accepted or planning on going there. So, let's have roll call. Who is actually planning on being at second look? How sure are you that you're going to school there?
I'll start:

Saluki : 75% sure I'll be going- I would give it up for an acceptance at Mayo or possibly for an acceptance at Wash U....

Next?
According to khalad, I'm already a current student. According to Bust, I've already withdrawn. Will the real Q please stand up?

QofQuimica said:
Mine is actually a Case faculty, and yes, very nice/welcoming. I can't imagine any prof NOT being welcoming to a med student worker, considering that we are free labor. In my case particularly, b/c I'm essentially going to be a free post doc. :smuggrin:

It's ok if you haven't made a final commitment to the school; I haven't, either. You're just meeting with the person to make a contact and find out what kinds of projects will be available to you in that lab, make sure you like the PI, etc. I've met with researchers at several schools, as a matter of fact. Many admissions offices will even set up meetings with PIs for you during interview or second look visits. Or, if they won't, you can set up the meetings yourself. I've done it both ways at various schools. If you know that you definitely want to do research while you're in med school, it's smart to find a PI you like at each place so that you'll be all set with a lab no matter where you end up.

Oh, you are planning on doing research not only during july/august but also during the school year as well at CCLCM if you go there?

Hmm, well I did approach a PI about doing research during the medical school year in one of my earlier interviews but he was like he thinks I'll be too busy with studying, and so after that I wasn't sure if I should approach anybody. I wasn't sure if he just didn't want anybody or he really thought that Med1 was too busy for research. Obviously I have no clue so I was like okay. I guess I'll do that for CCLCM this time.

Did you approach one of the PIs on their list of Basic Science Research Advisers??

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow interviewee at CCLCM: So...what are your reasearch interests?
Daichi Katase: Salma Hayek

I am so tired of that question.

As long as I am annonymous, i would like to confess that the only reason I chose CCLCM is because I look better in business casual than in scrubs and a t-shirt. I have a very very short attention span and a very eccentric personality. However, I don't feel so bad admitting to that anymore because we all seem pretty crazy here.

Also, to answer Khalad's question. I approached one of the PIs on the Basic Science Reasearch Advisors. Although I am not one of those proactive types, I was thinking maybe it will help me avoid being stuck with some research project i have no interest in over the summer. The PI i contacted also has a profound interest in Salma Hayek.

khalad said:
Oh, you are planning on doing research not only during july/august but also during the school year as well at CCLCM if you go there?

Hmm, well I did approach a PI about doing research during the medical school year in one of my earlier interviews but he was like he thinks I'll be too busy with studying, and so after that I wasn't sure if I should approach anybody. I wasn't sure if he just didn't want anybody or he really thought that Med1 was too busy for research. Obviously I have no clue so I was like okay. I guess I'll do that for CCLCM this time.

Did you approach one of the PIs on their list of Basic Science Research Advisers??
Yes, I would want to keep doing research throughout the year. I think that whether you have time depends on what other ECs (or outside responsibilities like family, S.O., etc.) you have, as well as on the type of research. Probably wet-lab biology research won't lend itself well to such a part-time schedule, but analytical or theoretical research could work, assuming that the hours are flexible. Several students at various schools told me that they do literature reviews or work on clinical trials where there are long periods with no data being collected, then they have to work for a day or two, and they can analyze the data whenever they have time. One very interesting guy I met was doing medical economics research and managed to get two or three papers published while he was an MSI. His work was completely theoretical, and he did it on weekends and vacations after he was done studying for his classes. So it can be done, but you'll need to manage your time well, and you probably won't be able to do experimental labwork because the schedule isn't flexible enough.

No, I picked my own. You aren't limited to their compendium; you can pick any Case or CC research faculty who is doing basic science research, and they will get the person added. Think about what field you'd like to do research in, and go to the departmental website and look at that department's faculty. They will list each PI's research interests and some of their published papers. You can often get the papers on pubmed or maybe even google scholar.

Daichi Katase said:
Fellow interviewee at CCLCM: So...what are your reasearch interests?
Daichi Katase: Salma Hayek

I am so tired of that question.

As long as I am annonymous, i would like to confess that the only reason I chose CCLCM is because I look better in business casual than in scrubs and a t-shirt. I have a very very short attention span and a very eccentric personality. However, I don't feel so bad admitting to that anymore because we all seem pretty crazy here.

Also, to answer Khalad's question. I approached one of the PIs on the Basic Science Reasearch Advisors. Although I am not one of those proactive types, I was thinking maybe it will help me avoid being stuck with some research project i have no interest in over the summer. The PI i contacted also has a profound interest in Salma Hayek.
Salma Hayek is gorgeous. I'm not normally into girls, but I might make an exception for her. :p

QofQuimica said:
No, I picked my own. You aren't limited to their compendium; you can pick any Case or CC research faculty who is doing basic science research, and they will get the person added. Think about what field you'd like to do research in, and go to the departmental website and look at that department's faculty. They will list each PI's research interests and some of their published papers. You can often get the papers on pubmed or maybe even google scholar.

Wow, that opens up a lot of cool possibilites.

Are financial aid awards supposed to go out tomorrow? I'm rather anxious about what my package will look like...

Ok, so I got very excited few minutes ago and did exactly what Q did. I found a PI who is working on something i am very very interested in. I will probably contact him soon but I want to know exactly how this summer basic research thing works first. Maybe I will wait till after the revisit...

Also, are the financial aid things supposed to go out tommorow? I thought it was anytime before April 15th? Didn't know there was a specific date?

Saluki said:
Are financial aid awards supposed to go out tomorrow? I'm rather anxious about what my package will look like...

How do you know that they go out tomorrow? Just wondering

btw, thx all for your responses

khalad said:
How do you know that they go out tomorrow? Just wondering

btw, thx all for your responses

Look at my post... I didn't say they were going out tomorrow; I just asked if they were because the financial aid lady said that it could be anytime after Mar. 15 and that they'd try to get it to us before 2nd look weekend...

hello,
all of your inpatient work will be on the main campus of all the cleveland hospitals. the only time you will be heading out to a satalite hospital is if you are doing OB/GYN a ccf( a few visits), family medicine(of your choosing) or psychiatry at the brecksville va. 90% or more of your time will be spent at the main hospital for all the instituitons you mentioned. during fourth year you will have more time to do cush electives outside of the main hospitals. with that beind said ..you still need a car for that occasional day when you will be at a sattelite hospital or clinic(usually during your outpatient weeks, medicine,peds). if you have more questions let me know. IM A CASE CCF VET. I KNOW IT ALL! see ya

NEIGUY said:
hello,
all of your inpatient work will be on the main campus of all the cleveland hospitals. the only time you will be heading out to a satalite hospital is if you are doing OB/GYN a ccf( a few visits), family medicine(of your choosing) or psychiatry at the brecksville va. 90% or more of your time will be spent at the main hospital for all the instituitons you mentioned. during fourth year you will have more time to do cush electives outside of the main hospitals. with that beind said ..you still need a car for that occasional day when you will be at a sattelite hospital or clinic(usually during your outpatient weeks, medicine,peds). if you have more questions let me know. IM A CASE CCF VET. I KNOW IT ALL! see ya

Thanks for the response.

I have lots more questions but I think I'll save them for 2nd look.

Anything happending on thursday night after the dinner reception??

Members don't see this ad :)
khalad said:
Thanks for the response.

I have lots more questions but I think I'll save them for 2nd look.

Anything happending on thursday night after the dinner reception??

One more week! wheeeeeee

Saluki said:
I talked to Elizabeth Myers, and she said that we could pick them up at the second look. Maybe they were running behind and figured they'd just wait to give them to us since we were coming anyway?

QofQuimica said:
I talked to Elizabeth Myers, and she said that we could pick them up at the second look. Maybe they were running behind and figured they'd just wait to give them to us since we were coming anyway?
I better get in, this class needs a headliner to keep everyone awake and communicating...
And your comments are so boring, is all you ever talk about school, what about the NCAA tourney??? COME ON GUYS THE BASKETBALL the basketball.....

UNC-or-BUST said:
I better get in, this class needs a headliner to keep everyone awake and communicating...
And your comments are so boring, is all you ever talk about school, what about the NCAA tourney??? COME ON GUYS THE BASKETBALL the basketball.....
What is the NCAA tourney? :smuggrin: :p

Talking of other topics...when it comes to protesting, the French kick ass!

I like their style.

So does anyone have any idea how many people will be coming to Second Look? Are we looking at a big group?

UNC-or-BUST said:

Speaking of basketball, who actually plays basketball here? Curious to see if we'll be able to muster up a CCLCM team to take on the regular Case kids
:D

Posted this in the University Program forum, but figured it's equally applicable/helpful for y'all: I randomly stumbled upon "The Unofficial CWRU-SOM Survival Guide" website tonight. Made by Case Med students, it looks awesome - details apartment hunting, furniture stores, restaurants, case facilities, festivals, churches, etc. Basically, all the important details about being new in Cleveland (and to Case) =)

http://home.cwru.edu/~bdc11/index.html

geekOCD said:
Posted this in the University Program forum, but figured it's equally applicable/helpful for y'all: I randomly stumbled upon "The Unofficial CWRU-SOM Survival Guide" website tonight. Made by Case Med students, it looks awesome - details apartment hunting, furniture stores, restaurants, case facilities, festivals, churches, etc. Basically, all the important details about being new in Cleveland (and to Case) =)

http://home.cwru.edu/~bdc11/index.html

I don't see anything in there about nuclear powered jackets, socks, or pants....
mmmm....80 degree weather in NC..... :p

when are you guys flying in tommorow? does anyone have a meeting with a research advisor?

Daichi Katase said:
when are you guys flying in tommorow? does anyone have a meeting with a research advisor?

I'm driving in from Chicago and I have a meeting before our event starts at 3. So I have to wake up EXTRA early for my drive (just in case i get lost). But it's all good :thumbup:

autoimmunity said:
I'm driving in from Chicago and I have a meeting before our event starts at 3. So I have to wake up EXTRA early for my drive (just in case i get lost). But it's all good :thumbup:

Oh, I need everyone's Hotel and room number information for the hitman, I mean call girl.... ;)
Have funny everyone, if it helps I am very^(6.23*10^23) jealous...... I guess if I show up and pretend... no won't work... :rolleyes:

I will get to the airport about 6 in the morning (was the only reasonably priced flight) and then i have a meeting at 1:30. Looking forward to seeing everyone tommorow!

See y'all tomorrow. I don't know how chipper I'll be -- taking the redeye starting tonight, arriving in Cleveland almost 12 hours and 3 flights later... :eek:

Is everyone here accepted at Baylor...? Well either way I'll see you some you next year

Be sure to give the lowdown to us hold people.

I suppose since they are having second look that CCLCM ended up accepting a full class. Didn't the hold letter say otherwise?

Q, are you still contemplating the 5-year program even though you have a PhD? You must really love school!

TheMightyAngus said:
I suppose since they are having second look that CCLCM ended up accepting a full class. Didn't the hold letter say otherwise?

Q, are you still contemplating the 5-year program even though you have a PhD? You must really love school!
They definitely did accept a full class, but unlike many schools, they do not overaccept. So there should be some waitlist movement soon I think. Good luck to everyone waiting. :)

YES...I love HOLD MOVEMENT!!! thanks Q....mmmm... coffee at 5:15.... feeling over zealous....
Hey tomorrow is the official Kick George W in the sweet spot day!!!
since he took official I'm a sad little republican... :(
atleast its not Hiliary :D

QofQuimica said:
They definitely did accept a full class, but unlike many schools, they do not overaccept. So there should be some waitlist movement soon I think. Good luck to everyone waiting. :)

Hey Q, thanks for letting us know! Do you know how many people they did accept this year?

Hey guys, I will likely be dropping my CCLCM acceptance soon. I loved the school, but now have options that fit my (and my wife's) goals better. Hopefully this will help one of you out!

dajimmers said:
Hey guys, I will likely be dropping my CCLCM acceptance soon. I loved the school, but now have options that fit my (and my wife's) goals better. Hopefully this will help one of you out!

I'm glad to hear you have decisions, CCLCM is my top choice so I will have my fingers crossed. Good luck to your wife and yourself. :luck:

WorkHrd PlayHrd said:
Hey Q, thanks for letting us know! Do you know how many people they did accept this year?

They told us that there were 34 ppl going to the 2nd look. So looks like they over accepted by 2 ppl???

UNC-or-BUST said:
I'm glad to hear you have decisions, CCLCM is my top choice so I will have my fingers crossed. Good luck to your wife and yourself. :luck:

Goood luck to you too. I don't think I talked to all 34 ppl but there were some ppl that I talked to (like 10) that wasn't sure about coming to CCLCM, so there will definitely be hold-list movement. Wish you all the best.

khalad said:
Goood luck to you too. I don't think I talked to all 34 ppl but there were some ppl that I talked to (like 10) that wasn't sure about coming to CCLCM, so there will definitely be hold-list movement. Wish you all the best.
mmmm..... information.....
I have 6 papers going out over the next two months, think that will help? Too bad they didn't go out on time, Docs are too busy.... :)

WorkHrd PlayHrd said:
Not sure exactly, but I'm guessing approximately 35-40 people total were accepted for a class of 32. They said a few of the acceptees did not come to the second look, and there were about 32 people there.

Just to clarify, when I said before that they do not overaccept, I meant that they did not accept twice the class size like many schools do. They do accept a few extra people though, like maybe half a dozen. Again, the list should start to move soon, b/c they have an April 15 decision deadline, not May 15 like most schools. :luck: to everyone. :)

QofQuimica said:
Not sure exactly, but I'm guessing approximately 35-40 people total were accepted for a class of 32. They said a few of the acceptees did not come to the second look, and there were about 32 people there.

Just to clarify, when I said before that they do not overaccept, I meant that they did not accept twice the class size like many schools do. They do accept a few extra people though, like maybe half a dozen. Again, the list should start to move soon, b/c they have an April 15 decision deadline, not May 15 like most schools. :luck: to everyone. :)
whats your 'general' opinion of what the waitlist movement might look like?

UNC-or-BUST said:
whats your 'general' opinion of what the waitlist movement might look like?
Hard to predict. Most people seemed to really like the school, the program, and the other students, but financial aid is a major consideration for many of us. Case is a very expensive school, unfortunately. :(

QofQuimica said:
Hard to predict. Most people seemed to really like the school, the program, and the other students, but financial aid is a major consideration for many of us. Case is a very expensive school, unfortunately. :(
I love info, even if it is just peace of mind. I wish I could have been there, or you could go to Baylor, I picture you as you avatar.... :eek:

Just wanna give a big thanks to those second-lookers who gave us info, specifically Khalad and Q!

Anyone know how many people are actually on hold? I know almost everyone is, but what’s an actual number?

Best of luck to everyone going through this pain-in-the-a$$ process…..
:luck: :mad: :smuggrin:

hey Workhard, I'll wrestle your for a spot... :thumbup:

UNC-or-BUST said:
hey Workhard, I'll wrestle your for a spot... :thumbup:

That seems like a more objective method than what some committees use….ur on :thumbup:

WorkHrd PlayHrd said:
That seems like a more objective method than what some committees use….ur on :thumbup:
Meet at the Adcom office April 15th, Roman style only, three two min rounds. Anyone else in?
:smuggrin: