Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
QofQuimica said:
One of the current students told me that 18 people from her second look are students there now, so 14 were from the waitlist.

You know, it doesn't matter what school you're talking about. These odds are meaningless because applicants aren't all interchangeable. Some people don't have a prayer in hell of getting into school X, while others are going to have the red carpet rolled out for them, regardless of whether there are one thousand applicants or one million. That is why my outcome at a school is not going to have much predictive value for yours; this process is extremely subjective. Consider an extreme example: if you apply to School X, and you don't get in, it's not going to turn your rejection into an acceptance if you find out that every other f***ing person who applied got accepted except for you, is it??? But the "odds" of getting accepted in that case would be 99.9%! :p Most schools reject some people post-interview. That's not because they don't have room for these people; they'd waitlist them if that were the case. It's because they don't want them.

You're so smart.... The purple coloring must give you special powers... :p

Members don't see this ad.

14 from the hold...aka WAITLIST
they accepted ~70... so about 30 off the hold list were accepted for the 14 spots.
All I know is their class is mainly north eastern US... they could use some NC love :thumbup:

UNC-or-BUST said:
All I know is their class is mainly north eastern US... they could use some NC love :thumbup:

If I remember correctly, there were students from all over the country and some internationals too. So hang in there. You probably know this already, but definitely e-mail Dr. Franco to express your strong desire to matriculate. There will be movement from the wait list FOR SURE. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
autoimmunity said:
If I remember correctly, there were students from all over the country and some internationals too. So hang in there. You probably know this already, but definitely e-mail Dr. Franco to express your strong desire to matriculate. There will be movement from the wait list FOR SURE. :)

Elizabeth Myers handled my interview day (Dr. Franco wasn't present) so I sent my thank you/strong desire to matriculate to her afterwards (which she never acknowledged). I sent an update letter generally addressed to the admissions committee last week (by email directly to the secretary in charge of placing that paperwork in our files). Would it be overkill to email Dr. Franco as well?

I have the sinking feel that I sent my beautifully crafted "Why CCLCM is perfect for me!" email to the wrong person. Poop.

Help?

nefarious said:
Elizabeth Myers handled my interview day (Dr. Franco wasn't present) so I sent my thank you/strong desire to matriculate to her afterwards (which she never acknowledged). I sent an update letter generally addressed to the admissions committee last week (by email directly to the secretary in charge of placing that paperwork in our files). Would it be overkill to email Dr. Franco as well?

I have the sinking feel that I sent my beautifully crafted "Why CCLCM is perfect for me!" email to the wrong person. Poop.

Help?
I think I'd follow up with Elizabeth Myers first; make sure that she received your last letter. She is the director of admissions, so I don't think you were wrong to send your LOI to her.

I am getting very tired of school. I want a month long vacation and then just start medical school. Who is with me?

Daichi Katase said:
I am getting very tired of school. I want a month long vacation and then just start medical school. Who is with me?

Right there is the reason I'm taking a year off :laugh:

6 more days left . . . who's going for sure?

when do you think us hold people will hear anything

bsteves4 said:
when do you think us hold people will hear anything

I'd say within a week or two after April 15, but that's guess work....

Saluki said:
Right there is the reason I'm taking a year off :laugh:

So, are you taking this current year off, or are you defering and starting in '07? As a hold lister, i'm just curious.

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
So, are you taking this current year off, or are you defering and starting in '07? As a hold lister, i'm just curious.

Jim

I'm deferring and starting in '07, assuming my health clearance for the Fulbright goes through...

tree_monkey said:

Is anyone going to answer treemonkey's question? Or is she going to be the only student in the freshman class?

Members don't see this ad :)
tree_monkey said:

Saluki admonished me to let fellow class mates know I'm coming so.... :laugh:

Saluki said:
Is anyone going to answer treemonkey's question? Or is she going to be the only student in the freshman class?

Thanks Saluki!

Since we aren't getting a great response to this one, who is still considering it, at least?

Yay CCLCM!

Saluki said:

She's going to be the only one. j/k. Count me in. So what does that make? 2 or 3? We're going to have an insane faculty-to-student ratio tree monkey! Yeeeahh.

autoimmunity said:
She's going to be the only one. j/k. Count me in. So what does that make? 2 or 3? We're going to have an insane faculty-to-student ratio tree monkey! Yeeeahh.

Gotta love the individual attention! :laugh:

Well, here's one for Class of 2012.... I'm sorry I won't have you guys as my classmates, but I'm sure you'll survive w/o me :laugh:

I'm 80% coming. 20% going to south america and never coming back.

Daichi Katase said:
I'm 80% coming. 20% going to south america and never coming back.

Door #2 sounds great!

Saluki said:
Well, here's one for Class of 2012.... I'm sorry I won't have you guys as my classmates, but I'm sure you'll survive w/o me :laugh:

wait, saluki i guess i missed this, but where are you going next year?

bsteves4 said:
wait, saluki i guess i missed this, but where are you going next year?

Pending health clearance, I'm taking a Fulbright grant to Indonesia! But, don't feel sad, I bet Cleveland is even cooler than traveling to a tropical island... :laugh:

Saluki said:
Pending health clearance, I'm taking a Fulbright grant to Indonesia! But, don't feel sad, I bet Cleveland is even cooler than traveling to a tropical island... :laugh:

wow, that sounds really cool. good luck!!
what are you doing there?

OK, everybody. I just withdrew my last other acceptance. It was heart wrenching, but I think I'm making the right choice. Who else has the courage to follow my example? :p

Saluki said:
OK, everybody. I just withdrew my last other acceptance. It was heart wrenching, but I think I'm making the right choice. Who else has the courage to follow my example? :p

has anyone thought about housing yet?

I've thought a bunch about housing...they gave us good info, I think, on housing during 2nd look (university prog.). Got any questions? (I'm by no means an expert, nor am I from cleveland, but I have thought about & researched housing *grin*) Some folks on the university prog. thread have been talking about finding roommates on sdn.

geekOCD said:
I've thought a bunch about housing...they gave us good info, I think, on housing during 2nd look (university prog.). Got any questions? (I'm by no means an expert, nor am I from cleveland, but I have thought about & researched housing *grin*) Some folks on the university prog. thread have been talking about finding roommates on sdn.

I found my 1st year roomie on SDN

geekOCD said:

I've thought about it and looked at the brochures they gave us, but I know so little about apartment shopping... Besides, I don't have a car, so I need to be close to campus, but some of the apartments I thought were the cutest in the brochures mentioned that they were close to the University Hospitals but didn't say anything about distance from CC... Since UHs aren't that far from CC I don't see how they wouldn't be close to both but some of them actually mentioned being close to CC.... I probably sound like I'm talking in circles.... I guess I'll worry about it more when I get home and can talk with my family about it...

so how soon after this weekend do you think hold people will start to hear thier status

case also said that a "final decision" will be made for thier hold list by april15

Well, April 15 has arrived.... Who's still holding onto their acceptance at CC?

I'll start the list! :D Let's each use a different color!

Saluki

whattodowithmys said:
so how soon after this weekend do you think hold people will start to hear thier status

case also said that a "final decision" will be made for thier hold list by april15

If you look at last year’s threads, acceptances to hold people were made on the 15th (though it was a weekday). They then had a week to decide whether or not to matriculate. Two weeks after the 15th, the class was full. So perhaps it takes them “2 rounds” of offering acceptances to hold people to fill the class. At this point, our fates are pretty much sealed.

Saluki said:
Well, April 15 has arrived.... Who's still holding onto their acceptance at CC?

I'll hold onto an acceptance if they would be so kind as to extend one ;)

Please, please, CCLCM?

Let's see...so far I know of 14 people from the second look who are coming for sure. Fortunately, all those 14 people were likeable ;)

Daichi Katase said:
Let's see...so far I know of 14 people from the second look who are coming for sure. Fortunately, all those 14 people were likeable ;)

Are you serious? Have you kept in touch with that many people by email?

PS Was I likeable? :D

Saluki
Daichi Katase
tree_monkey
blkprl

So i guess a burning question is, did Q decide to join you? Q?

Just curious as a hold lister :D

I also interviewed at Case, and one of the other interviewees asked our tour guide about whether the Case students hung out that much with the Clinic kids... He kind of hemmed and hawed and was like "not that much--- the kids at the clinic are 'different'"..... I don't know whether that was just his experience, but I think we should have lots of bonding with the Case University program students.... And if we could hang out with the dental students as well, that would be really cool- I've always wanted to marry a dentist :laugh:

Indeed...after reading both this forum and the university prog. forum, I think it'd be a pity if I didn't get to meet y'all even though we're sort of at the same school =)

Saluki said:
I also interviewed at Case, and one of the other interviewees asked our tour guide about whether the Case students hung out that much with the Clinic kids... He kind of hemmed and hawed and was like "not that much--- the kids at the clinic are 'different'"..... I don't know whether that was just his experience, but I think we should have lots of bonding with the Case University program students.... And if we could hang out with the dental students as well, that would be really cool- I've always wanted to marry a dentist :laugh:

The dental students are always invading the case SOM student lounge, you're sure to find one there :thumbup:

exmike said:
The dental students are always invading the case SOM student lounge, you're sure to find one there :thumbup:

Thanks, exmike! I now know where I'll be hanging out ;)

To the rest of you, our thread has been too quiet and I can't believe only four SDNers are coming... Has anyone heard about how many kids withdrew and how many are staying in? (I'm curious, and I'm sure that the holdees would also be extremely interested...)

Saluki said:

To the rest of you, our thread has been too quiet and I can't believe only four SDNers are coming... Has anyone heard about how many kids withdrew and how many are staying in? (I'm curious, and I'm sure that the holdees would also be extremely interested...)

so word on the street is that despite the apr. 15 deadline, alot of people still didnt get theier decisions to the office? isnt that wierd?

on a side note i just got rejected by case, which makes my cclcm hopes feel even slimmer :(

bsteves4 said:
so word on the street is that despite the apr. 15 deadline, alot of people still didnt get theier decisions to the office? isnt that wierd?

This may not be a popular opinion, but those undecideds should have become automatic rejections on the deadline. Given both the opportunity for a second look weekend and generous financial aid awards, they had plenty of time to formulate an opinion.

For those compulsively checking your snailmail: Word from the CCLCM office is that rejection letters will not be going out for at least another two weeks.

Saluki said:

I think the 4 or 5 of us that have committed to CCLCM are perhaps the only ones in our class that frequent SDN. Otherwise, our classmates are lurkers and should come out of the closet! :)

nefarious said:
This may not be a popular opinion, but those undecideds should have become automatic rejections on the deadline. Given both the opportunity for a second look weekend and generous financial aid awards, they had plenty of time to formulate an opinion.

For those compulsively checking your snailmail: Word from the CCLCM office is that rejection letters will not be going out for at least another two weeks.

I got the impression from Liz Myers that some of the people who had not withdrawn had received permission to wait a little longer... And it's a tricky situation for them to set an earlier date than the one mandated by AAMC trafficking rules...

Saluki said:
I got the impression from Liz Myers that some of the people who had not withdrawn had received permission to wait a little longer... And it's a tricky situation for them to set an earlier date than the one mandated by AAMC trafficking rules...

May 15th is recommended, not required. Given that CCLCM starts a month earlier than the vast majority of the medical schools, it makes perfect sense to push the deadline up. Everyone knew going in about the April 15th deadline (or should have). Wavering at this point means they are likely 1) using their CCLCM acceptance to push for an acceptance, more money, etc. elsewhere or 2) sitting on a couple of waitlists they hope will turn over soon. Either way, CCLCM is obviously not their outright choice and it's rather disappointing that the school would cater to these individuals when there are literally hundreds of others for whom CCLCM is their dream school.

Eh, ignore me, I'm just cranky and tired of waiting. Asshats hording multiple acceptances are just easy targets.

nefarious said:
May 15th is recommended, not required. Given that CCLCM starts a month earlier than the vast majority of the medical schools, it makes perfect sense to push the deadline up. Everyone knew going in about the April 15th deadline (or should have). Wavering at this point means they are likely 1) using their CCLCM acceptance to push for an acceptance, more money, etc. elsewhere or 2) sitting on a couple of waitlists they hope will turn over soon. Either way, CCLCM is obviously not their outright choice and it's rather disappointing that the school would cater to these individuals when there are literally hundreds of others for whom CCLCM is their dream school.

Eh, ignore me, I'm just cranky and tired of waiting. Asshats hording multiple acceptances are just easy targets.

i feel ya nefarious..
i consider myself a very happy and laid back person but i must say that waiting on schools into april/may (and this whole damn process for that matter) has made me cranky as all hell
and the "harvard vs. ucsf vs. hopkins vs. full ride from most normal peoples dream school" threads kinda get on my nerves too
sorry i had to vent too