Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
khalad said:
If I go to CCLCM, would I have a better chance of getting residencies at the Cleveland Clinic??

Sorry I don't know much about how residency works.
Considering that the first CC students have yet to even take Step 1 let alone apply for the match, there's no way to know.

Members don't see this ad.

At the end, it will come down to class ranking and how well u do on the boards. If you are ranked high and do very well on all the standardized exams, you will have many options for residency....regardless of where u went to medical school.

Case in point: If an undergrad has a 3.7 and a 36, s/he will most likely have many medical school acceptances....regardless of where they go to undergrad.

WorkHrd PlayHrd said:
At the end, it will come down to class ranking and how well u do on the boards. If you are ranked high and do very well on all the standardized exams, you will have many options for residency....regardless of where u went to medical school.
All well and good....but CC doesn't have any class ranking either. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
WorkHrd PlayHrd said:

Case in point: If an undergrad has a 3.7 and a 36, s/he will most likely have many medical school acceptances....regardless of where they go to undergrad.

I see. But I was just wondering if residency programs will favor their own students at their medical school?

ie cleveland clinic favoring cclcm students b/c they've taught them in class or during clerkship/electives etc....

khalad said:
I see. But I was just wondering if residency programs will favor their own students at their medical school?

ie cleveland clinic favoring cclcm students b/c they've taught them in class or during clerkship/electives etc....

It makes no sense for Cleveland Clinic residency people to not look favourably on cclcm students. With that said, going to CCLCM gives you the opportunity to get to know CCF doctors very well. i was looking through the "research mentors" available for basic and clinical reserach blocks and some of them are department chairs at CCF.

Supposing you do research with the chair of the department of urology from your first year and then that same person writes you a letter of rec...i think you have a fairly good chance of matching at CCF. So yes...the answer is probably.

Daichi Katase said:
It makes no sense for Cleveland Clinic residency people to not look favourably on cclcm students. With that said, going to CCLCM gives you the opportunity to get to know CCF doctors very well. i was looking through the "research mentors" available for basic and clinical reserach blocks and some of them are department chairs at CCF.

Supposing you do research with the chair of the department of urology from your first year and then that same person writes you a letter of rec...i think you have a fairly good chance of matching at CCF. So yes...the answer is probably.

I agree. They will look at it favourably. My point was that in the long run, good scores will get u a good residency, so that u dont need the "favor" advantage

How does everybody feel about starting school so early?

Saluki said:
How does everybody feel about starting school so early?

I saw that as a con at first. i mean, this is my last summer, I should enjoy it?

My school ends in May and I plan on enjoying the May-June break. Furthermore, I don't think the basic science research block should be too stressful and that should allow the students to adjust to medical school a little more smoothly.

Also, it seems like most med students do research between MS1 and MS2 anyway. Since CCLCM gives dedidated time for research, any breaks can truly be treated as breaks.

WorkHrd PlayHrd said:
I agree. They will look at it favourably. My point was that in the long run, good scores will get u a good residency, so that u dont need the "favor" advantage

agreed 100%ly. Connections are good and they make life less stressful but good numbers are absolutely needed anywhere to back you up.

How nervous is everyone about the fact that they've never graduated a class and won't have grades? If you were accepted at another school equally or higher ranked would you take that in order to avoid the uncertainty of going to a school that doesn't have a track record yet? Just curious and trying to figure out what I think myself...

So, anyone know more definitely if they're going to 2nd look?

Oh, and what are the rest of you bringing to wear? ;)

Saluki said:
So, anyone know more definitely if they're going to 2nd look?

Oh, and what are the rest of you bringing to wear? ;)

Hey Saluki,

I'm definitely going to there for second look, already have my ticket booked and everything.

Not quite sure what I'll be wearing yet.

As for your other post, I have also thought about that and honestly they are valid arguments as to why someone would turn down Cleveland Clinic. Ultimately if you feel that this is the right place, then I guess you just go with it. I'm still deciding so we'll see.

Ashanti

I think we need at least one formal wear and the others, business casual. I am not bringing any jeans for the CCLCM revist.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you guys are going to second look?

I’m not so sure about this program. For starters, it’s a whole year extra. While my medical student buddies at other schools are out drinking, im going to be stuck in a lab doing research. Not only that, you have to do a masters level thesis, and you don’t have anything to show for it. That is, you get an M.D. like everyone else even though you did more work than all the other med students out there. Not to mention all the other negatives that people have already mentioned.

For me, the program is slowly descending below other schools. The best part about cclcm seems to be the new facility.

Any thoughts????

QMJfox said:
How many of you guys are going to second look?

I’m not so sure about this program. For starters, it’s a whole year extra. While my medical student buddies at other schools are out drinking, im going to be stuck in a lab doing research. Not only that, you have to do a masters level thesis, and you don’t have anything to show for it. That is, you get an M.D. like everyone else even though you did more work than all the other med students out there. Not to mention all the other negatives that people have already mentioned.

For me, the program is slowly descending below other schools. The best part about cclcm seems to be the new facility.

Any thoughts????

I think a lot of people who go to CCLCM put in the extra coursework and get a master's degree from Case.... Anyways, a lot of kids at schools across the country take a year off to do research to increase competitiveness for residency- but this way you're guaranteed funding and research with well known people. The financial aid is supposedly great... Also with a small class size you're more likely to get to know your professors well and get a recc letter that will set you apart...

Saluki said:
I think a lot of people who go to CCLCM put in the extra coursework and get a master's degree from Case.... Anyways, a lot of kids at schools across the country take a year off to do research to increase competitiveness for residency- but this way you're guaranteed funding and research with well known people. The financial aid is supposedly great... Also with a small class size you're more likely to get to know your professors well and get a recc letter that will set you apart...

True, but at other schools you have the option to do research, here you have to do research.....just some food for thought. Plus i agree with workhrd.....do well on boards and you will get a good residency. I also heard that getting a residency is not too difficult, that is, easier than getting into med school.

The school does have its positive values, im just having trouble deciding if its better than schools like hopkins or even a top public school.

QMJfox, if you are not feeling it, it's not for you ;)

Seriously, that is what it comes down to.

gcomplex7 said:
I think we need at least one formal wear and the others, business casual. I am not bringing any jeans for the CCLCM revist.

We need a formal wear for what? The dinner?

Sorry Khalad, I can't find my revisit info but I could have swore we needed a formal wear from one event. Does anyone know which one?

gcomplex7 said:
Sorry Khalad, I can't find my revisit info but I could have swore we needed a formal wear from one event. Does anyone know which one?
SOOO.... no new scare the crap out of the CCLCM accepted posts??? DAM!!!

Blah.... well heres to the WL movement coming in 34 days..... :luck:
Atleast I have Duke... mmmmm... blue devils... coach K... warm climate.... ehhh? no one taking the bait? :rolleyes:

UNC-or-BUST said:
SOOO.... no new scare the crap out of the CCLCM accepted posts??? DAM!!!

Blah.... well heres to the WL movement coming in 34 days..... :luck:
Atleast I have Duke... mmmmm... blue devils... coach K... warm climate.... ehhh? no one taking the bait? :rolleyes:

You've been accepted to Duke?

gcomplex7 said:
I don't know what y'all are smoking, but can I have some please? It must be good stuff. ;)

Seriously, I don't think you need to worry this much about your clothes. Interviews are over, and this isn't the prom. The instructions say that business attire is appropriate. (Bolding is in the original instructions.) I interpret this to mean that you should not wear jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and running shoes. You should look professional, but a suit is probably overkill. Here's some career service advice on the topic:

Business casual guidelines for men and women
Business casual is crisp, neat, and should look appropriate even for a chance meeting with a CEO. It should not look like cocktail or party or picnic attire. Avoid tight or baggy clothing; business casual is classic rather than trendy.
Basics:
Khaki pants, neatly pressed, and a pressed long-sleeved, buttoned solid shirt are safe for both men and women. Polo/golf shirts, unwrinkled, are an appropriate choice if you know the environment will be quite casual, outdoors or in a very hot location. This may not seem like terribly exciting attire, but you are not trying to stand out for your cutting edge look, but for your good judgment in a business environment.
Shoes / belt:
Wear a leather belt and leather shoes. Athletic shoes are inappropriate.
Cost / quality:
You are not expected to be able to afford the same clothing as a corporate CEO. However, do invest in quality that will look appropriate during your first two or three years on the job for a business casual environment or occasions.
Details:
Everything should be clean, well pressed, and not show wear. Even the nicest khakis after 100 washings may not be your best choice for a reception. Carefully inspect new clothes for tags, and all clothes for dangling threads, etc. (as with interview attire).
Use common sense.
If there are six inches of snow on the ground and/or you are rushing to get to an information session between classes and you left home 12 hours earlier, no one will expect you to show up looking ready for a photo shoot — they'll just be happy you made it. Just avoid wearing your worst gym clothes and jeans. If you show up at an event and realize you're not as well dressed as you should be, make a quick, pleasant apology and make a good impression with your interpersonal skills and intelligent questions.

Specifics for men's business casual
Ties:
Ties are generally not necessary for business casual, but if you are in doubt, you can wear a tie. It never hurts to slightly overdress; by dressing nicely, you pay a compliment to your host. You can always wear the tie and discreetly walk by the room where the function is held; if no one else is wearing a tie, you can discreetly remove yours.
Shirts:
Long-sleeved shirts are considered dressier than short-sleeved and are appropriate even in summer. Choosing white or light blue solid, or conservative stripes is your safest bet. Polo shirts (tucked in, of course) are acceptable in more casual situations.
Socks:
Wear dark socks, mid-calf length so no skin is visible when you sit down.
Shoes:
Leather shoes should be worn. No sandals, athletic shoes or hiking boots.
Facial hair:
Just as with interviews: Facial hair, if worn, should be well-groomed. Know your industry and how conservative it is; observe men in your industry if you are unsure what's appropriate or are considering changing your look.
Jewelry:
Wear a conservative watch. If you choose to wear other jewelry, be conservative. Removing earrings is safest. For conservative industries, don't wear earrings. Observe other men in your industry to see what is acceptable.

Specifics for women's business casual
Don't confuse club attire with business attire. If you would wear it to a club, you probably shouldn't wear it in a business environment. Also, most attire worn on televison is not appropriate for business environments. Don't be deluded.
Pants / skirts:
Women can wear casual pants or skirts. Neither should be tight. Fabrics should be crisp; colors should generally be solid; navy, black, gray, brown and khaki are always safe bets. For the most business-like appearance, pants should be creased and tailored; neither extreme of tight or flowing. If you are pursuing a conservative industry and are in doubt, observe well-dressed women in your industry on the job, at career fairs, at information sessions, etc.
Skirt length and slits:
Your skirt should come at least to your knees while you are standing. While you are seated, your thighs should be covered. If your skirt comes to just below the knee, a slit to just above the knee might be acceptable. A very long skirt should not be slit to above the knee. Generally slits in the center back of a skirt — to facilitate walking a stair climbing — are acceptable. Slits to facilitate a view of your legs are not appropriate for business purposes. Slips should not be visible.
Shirt / sweaters:
In addition to tailored shirts or blouses, tailored knit sweaters and sweater sets are appropriate business casual choices for women. Cotton, silk, and blends are appropriate. Velvets and shimmery fabrics suitable for parties are not appropriate. Fit should not be tight. Cleavage is not appropriate to business and job search occasions.
Jewelry / accessories:
Wear a conservative watch. Jewelry and scarf styles come and go. Keep your choices simple and leaning toward conservative. Avoid extremes of style and color. If your industry is creative, you may have more flexibility than someone pursuing a conservative industry.
Cosmetics:
Keep makeup conservative and natural looking. A little is usually better than none for a polished look. Nails should be clean and well groomed. Avoid extremes of nail length and polish color, especially in conservative industries.
Shoes:
Should be leather or fabric / microfiber. Appropriate colors are black, navy and brown (to coordinate with your other attire and accessories); white and pastels are not appropriate. For the most conservative look, toes should be covered. Sandals which are neither extremely dressy or extremely casual might be appropriate. Thin straps and high heels are not appropriate. Chunky heels and platforms are not apropriate. Make certain you can walk comfortably in your shoes; hobbling around a job fair in shoes that are pinching your feet does not convey a professional image.
Hose:
Not essential for business casual, but are recommended if your skirt is knee length (rather than calf length) and in more formal environments such as hotels.
Purse / bag:
If you carry a purse, keep it small and simple, or carry a small briefcase or business-like tote bag in place of a purse. A structured bag tends to look more professional that something soft or floppy. Purse/bag color should coordinate with your shoes. A briefcase is certainly not necessary for most business casual events. Leather, microfiber and fine wovens are appropriate. Canvas and straw are not appropriate.

Grooming tips for men and women
Hair:
Should be clean and neat.
Shoes:
Should be in polished condition. Make sure heels are not worn.
Details:
No missing buttons, no lint; and don’t forget to remove external tags and tacking stitches from new clothes.
Hands:
Clean fingernails.
Fit:
Clothes should be clean, neatly pressed, and fit properly, neither tight nor baggy.
Smell:
Perfume or cologne should be used sparingly or not at all.
No odors on clothes.
Don't smell like smoke.
Padfolios:
Preferred over a bulky briefcase. A small briefcase is also appropriate, but if you have no reason to carry a briefcase, don't; you risk looking silly.
Bookbags:
Appropriate to carry to an information session held on campus (after all, you are a student). For career fairs and job fairs, bookbags are generally checked at the door, and you should carry a padfolio only.
Don't carry a bookbag to an event held at a hotel.

QofQuimica said:
I don't know what y'all are smoking, but can I have some please? It must be good stuff. ;)

haha, I realized I was wrong and raced on here to correct myself, but you beat me to it. So many functions here, I got confused.

Dude, i will totally let you try my concoction but you aren't allowed to keep any. I am till working on my underground patent.
Look for the red eyed kid during the revisit. :D

gcomplex7 said:
haha, I realized I was wrong and raced on here to correct myself, but you beat me to it. So many functions here, I got confused.

Dude, i will totally let you try my concoction but you aren't allowed to keep any. I am till working on my underground patent.
Look for the red eyed kid during the revisit. :D
I'm a pharmaceutical chemist....I can probably help you. ;) :smuggrin:

Do you guys know if they reject anyone post interview, or are those not accepted just put on hold?

QofQuimica said:

Seriously, I don't think you need to worry this much about your clothes. Interviews are over, and this isn't the prom. The instructions say that business attire is appropriate. (Bolding is in the original instructions.) I interpret this to mean that you should not wear jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and running shoes. You should look professional, but a suit is probably overkill. Here's some career service advice on the topic:

Business casual guidelines for men and women
Business casual is crisp, neat, and should look appropriate even for a chance meeting with a CEO. It should not look like cocktail or party or picnic attire. Avoid tight or baggy clothing; business casual is classic rather than trendy.
Basics:
Khaki pants, neatly pressed, and a pressed long-sleeved, buttoned solid shirt are safe for both men and women. Polo/golf shirts, unwrinkled, are an appropriate choice if you know the environment will be quite casual, outdoors or in a very hot location. This may not seem like terribly exciting attire, but you are not trying to stand out for your cutting edge look, but for your good judgment in a business environment.
Shoes / belt:
Wear a leather belt and leather shoes. Athletic shoes are inappropriate.
Cost / quality:
You are not expected to be able to afford the same clothing as a corporate CEO. However, do invest in quality that will look appropriate during your first two or three years on the job for a business casual environment or occasions.
Details:
Everything should be clean, well pressed, and not show wear. Even the nicest khakis after 100 washings may not be your best choice for a reception. Carefully inspect new clothes for tags, and all clothes for dangling threads, etc. (as with interview attire).
Use common sense.
If there are six inches of snow on the ground and/or you are rushing to get to an information session between classes and you left home 12 hours earlier, no one will expect you to show up looking ready for a photo shoot — they'll just be happy you made it. Just avoid wearing your worst gym clothes and jeans. If you show up at an event and realize you're not as well dressed as you should be, make a quick, pleasant apology and make a good impression with your interpersonal skills and intelligent questions.

Specifics for men's business casual
Ties:
Ties are generally not necessary for business casual, but if you are in doubt, you can wear a tie. It never hurts to slightly overdress; by dressing nicely, you pay a compliment to your host. You can always wear the tie and discreetly walk by the room where the function is held; if no one else is wearing a tie, you can discreetly remove yours.
Shirts:
Long-sleeved shirts are considered dressier than short-sleeved and are appropriate even in summer. Choosing white or light blue solid, or conservative stripes is your safest bet. Polo shirts (tucked in, of course) are acceptable in more casual situations.
Socks:
Wear dark socks, mid-calf length so no skin is visible when you sit down.
Shoes:
Leather shoes should be worn. No sandals, athletic shoes or hiking boots.
Facial hair:
Just as with interviews: Facial hair, if worn, should be well-groomed. Know your industry and how conservative it is; observe men in your industry if you are unsure what's appropriate or are considering changing your look.
Jewelry:
Wear a conservative watch. If you choose to wear other jewelry, be conservative. Removing earrings is safest. For conservative industries, don't wear earrings. Observe other men in your industry to see what is acceptable.

Specifics for women's business casual
Don't confuse club attire with business attire. If you would wear it to a club, you probably shouldn't wear it in a business environment. Also, most attire worn on televison is not appropriate for business environments. Don't be deluded.
Pants / skirts:
Women can wear casual pants or skirts. Neither should be tight. Fabrics should be crisp; colors should generally be solid; navy, black, gray, brown and khaki are always safe bets. For the most business-like appearance, pants should be creased and tailored; neither extreme of tight or flowing. If you are pursuing a conservative industry and are in doubt, observe well-dressed women in your industry on the job, at career fairs, at information sessions, etc.
Skirt length and slits:
Your skirt should come at least to your knees while you are standing. While you are seated, your thighs should be covered. If your skirt comes to just below the knee, a slit to just above the knee might be acceptable. A very long skirt should not be slit to above the knee. Generally slits in the center back of a skirt — to facilitate walking a stair climbing — are acceptable. Slits to facilitate a view of your legs are not appropriate for business purposes. Slips should not be visible.
Shirt / sweaters:
In addition to tailored shirts or blouses, tailored knit sweaters and sweater sets are appropriate business casual choices for women. Cotton, silk, and blends are appropriate. Velvets and shimmery fabrics suitable for parties are not appropriate. Fit should not be tight. Cleavage is not appropriate to business and job search occasions.
Jewelry / accessories:
Wear a conservative watch. Jewelry and scarf styles come and go. Keep your choices simple and leaning toward conservative. Avoid extremes of style and color. If your industry is creative, you may have more flexibility than someone pursuing a conservative industry.
Cosmetics:
Keep makeup conservative and natural looking. A little is usually better than none for a polished look. Nails should be clean and well groomed. Avoid extremes of nail length and polish color, especially in conservative industries.
Shoes:
Should be leather or fabric / microfiber. Appropriate colors are black, navy and brown (to coordinate with your other attire and accessories); white and pastels are not appropriate. For the most conservative look, toes should be covered. Sandals which are neither extremely dressy or extremely casual might be appropriate. Thin straps and high heels are not appropriate. Chunky heels and platforms are not apropriate. Make certain you can walk comfortably in your shoes; hobbling around a job fair in shoes that are pinching your feet does not convey a professional image.
Hose:
Not essential for business casual, but are recommended if your skirt is knee length (rather than calf length) and in more formal environments such as hotels.
Purse / bag:
If you carry a purse, keep it small and simple, or carry a small briefcase or business-like tote bag in place of a purse. A structured bag tends to look more professional that something soft or floppy. Purse/bag color should coordinate with your shoes. A briefcase is certainly not necessary for most business casual events. Leather, microfiber and fine wovens are appropriate. Canvas and straw are not appropriate.

Grooming tips for men and women
Hair:
Should be clean and neat.
Shoes:
Should be in polished condition. Make sure heels are not worn.
Details:
No missing buttons, no lint; and don’t forget to remove external tags and tacking stitches from new clothes.
Hands:
Clean fingernails.
Fit:
Clothes should be clean, neatly pressed, and fit properly, neither tight nor baggy.
Smell:
Perfume or cologne should be used sparingly or not at all.
No odors on clothes.
Don't smell like smoke.
Padfolios:
Preferred over a bulky briefcase. A small briefcase is also appropriate, but if you have no reason to carry a briefcase, don't; you risk looking silly.
Bookbags:
Appropriate to carry to an information session held on campus (after all, you are a student). For career fairs and job fairs, bookbags are generally checked at the door, and you should carry a padfolio only.
Don't carry a bookbag to an event held at a hotel.

Excuse me.... where are the references. Jeez... this is ridiculous no references. And you got into CCLCM??? They must have been smoking...haha just screwing around. Hey lets pretend that I just got my call!!!

OH my God, I just got the call from Dean Franco!!!! aaaahhhhhhhhh
I'm in!!!!!!

YES, screw warm beautiful North Carolina, home of college basketball and beautiful women and happiness and the birth place of awesome. I'm going to Cleveland. yes, Drew Carey ain't got nothing on me!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH

Dam, reviewing what I just typed made me realize that I am officially nuts... like salted planter nuts... like smash me and spread on bread with my good friend JELLLYYY

Gabriella said:
Do you guys know if they reject anyone post interview, or are those not accepted just put on hold?

I believe that everyone is on hold...

UNC-or-BUST said:
Excuse me.... where are the references. Jeez... this is ridiculous no references. And you got into CCLCM??? They must have been smoking...haha just screwing around. Hey lets pretend that I just got my call!!!

OH my God, I just got the call from Dean Franco!!!! aaaahhhhhhhhh
I'm in!!!!!!

YES, screw warm beautiful North Carolina, home of college basketball and beautiful women and happiness and the birth place of awesome. I'm going to Cleveland. yes, Drew Carey ain't got nothing on me!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH

Dam, reviewing what I just typed made me realize that I am officially nuts... like salted planter nuts... like smash me and spread on bread with my good friend JELLLYYY
lmao, I dunno, sounds like they were smoking when they let YOU in. :smuggrin: ;) Assuming you're serious, congrats, man. :cool: Please don't start freaking out about what to wear for the second look though. :p

judging from the people on this thread...I am looking forward to very entertaining 5 years of my life.

Furthermore, did anyone send in the research interest form?

I forgot to send in the research interest form... I guess I'll just have to talk to researchers later....

Daichi Katase said:
judging from the people on this thread...I am looking forward to very entertaining 5 years of my life.

Furthermore, did anyone send in the research interest form?
There was a research interest form??? Did it say what we should wear??? :smuggrin:

Seriously, no, I didn't, but I had already gotten in touch with the PI on my own. So I just told them the name and they said they'd set up the appointment for me.

QofQuimica said:
There was a research interest form??? Did it say what we should wear??? :smuggrin:

Seriously, no, I didn't, but I had already gotten in touch with the PI on my own. So I just told them the name and they said they'd set up the appointment for me.

I thought ur a current student??

How did you contact the PI ? e-mail?

khalad said:
I thought ur a current student??

How did you contact the PI ? e-mail?
lol, no. I'm getting ready to start med school this summer. Hence why I've been posting on about a dozen different schools' threads. ;)

Yes, I emailed the PI and asked for a meeting. If you go to the website, you can find a bunch of them. You aren't limited to CC either; you can work with any Case faculty also.

That rocks Q. I am not sure where I am going for med. sch. but I will be there, come revisit.
I am working on the ultimate joint, so you expertise as a pharm chemist may be called upon.

ooh btw, I need some test subjects.

QofQuimica said:
lol, no. I'm getting ready to start med school this summer. Hence why I've been posting on about a dozen different schools' threads. ;)

Yes, I emailed the PI and asked for a meeting. If you go to the website, you can find a bunch of them. You aren't limited to CC either; you can work with any Case faculty also.

LOL somehow I thought you were a current student...don't know what I was smoking

Did you contact a CC or case faculty? And were they welcoming/happy you were interested?? I'm not sure if I should contact them directly yet since obviously I haven't made a final decision yet to attend - haven't gotten my financial aid package

khalad said:
LOL somehow I thought you were a current student...don't know what I was smoking

Did you contact a CC or case faculty? And were they welcoming/happy you were interested?? I'm not sure if I should contact them directly yet since obviously I haven't made a final decision yet to attend - haven't gotten my financial aid package
Mine is actually a Case faculty, and yes, very nice/welcoming. I can't imagine any prof NOT being welcoming to a med student worker, considering that we are free labor. In my case particularly, b/c I'm essentially going to be a free post doc. :smuggrin:

It's ok if you haven't made a final commitment to the school; I haven't, either. You're just meeting with the person to make a contact and find out what kinds of projects will be available to you in that lab, make sure you like the PI, etc. I've met with researchers at several schools, as a matter of fact. Many admissions offices will even set up meetings with PIs for you during interview or second look visits. Or, if they won't, you can set up the meetings yourself. I've done it both ways at various schools. If you know that you definitely want to do research while you're in med school, it's smart to find a PI you like at each place so that you'll be all set with a lab no matter where you end up.

gcomplex, my professional opinion is that you must conduct an open-label (unblinded) study on your potential future classmates. We will dispense with all control subjects. This experiment will not be terribly useful to science, but it will build class camaraderie. :thumbup:

QofQuimica said:
Thats ok Bust you can have my spot at CCLCM, I'll call today and withdraw
wow, thank you Q, thats awesome of you!!! Cool how you can do that, haha. No I'm not in yet, that was a pretent experience. I'm on hold, like all CCLCM applicant, not accepted. This waiting is getting ridiculous... I know April 15th, but dam I feel cutting it down to one spot and being done with it... still, all those high MCATers are likely to start dropping CCLCM acceptances for top 10s soon and then the rest of us can start getting excited. Stupid MCAT, I can't pay attention to a test for 8 hours, hey look a paper clip shaped like the StarShip Enterprise, I can barely pay attention while I type this.... mmmmm paper clip..... Oh, well I'll have to be a nobel person at another institution, hey look NO BELL PEpeRS ON my sandwich, HAHAHA dam what was I talking about, oh its there on the screen, {reading to self}, ahh! Yes, I can't pay attention, dam the simpsons are on

UNC-or-BUST said:
wow, thank you Q, thats awesome of you!!! Cool how you can do that, haha. No I'm not in yet, that was a pretent experience. I'm on hold, like all CCLCM applicant, not accepted. This waiting is getting ridiculous... I know April 15th, but dam I feel cutting it down to one spot and being done with it... still, all those high MCATers are likely to start dropping CCLCM acceptances for top 10s soon and then the rest of us can start getting excited. Stupid MCAT, I can't pay attention to a test for 8 hours, hey look a paper clip shaped like the StarShip Enterprise, I can barely pay attention while I type this.... mmmmm paper clip..... Oh, well I'll have to be a nobel person at another institution, hey look NO BELL PEpeRS ON my sandwich, HAHAHA dam what was I talking about, oh its there on the screen, {reading to self}, ahh! Yes, I can't pay attention, dam the simpsons are on

wow, I must be really smart or really crazy.... I guess its all relative :scared:

UNC-or-BUST said:
wow, I must be really smart or really crazy.... I guess its all relative :scared:

Nice, thats really funny BUST!!! :D
If you had an avatar what would it be?

UNC-or-BUST said:
Nice, thats really funny BUST!!! :D
If you had an avatar what would it be?

Awww, thank you for saying so. Hhhmmm... if I had an avatar it would be.....
a my dog sleeping on my clean clothes because I always have dog hair my clothes

This thread gets confusing because so many people post on it regardless of whether they're accepted or planning on going there. So, let's have roll call. Who is actually planning on being at second look? How sure are you that you're going to school there?
I'll start:

Saluki : 75% sure I'll be going- I would give it up for an acceptance at Mayo or possibly for an acceptance at Wash U....

Next?

Saluki said:
This thread gets confusing because so many people post on it regardless of whether they're accepted or planning on going there. So, let's have roll call. Who is actually planning on being at second look? How sure are you that you're going to school there?
I'll start:

Saluki : 75% sure I'll be going- I would give it up for an acceptance at Mayo or possibly for an acceptance at Wash U....

Next?
Are you serious? Wow, that is completely disrespectful to the time I put into writing that crazy nonsense. Jeez, Saluki, think of someone else for a change. Oh, and how close are you to option A and option B???

UNC-or-BUST said:
Are you serious? Wow, that is completely disrespectful to the time I put into writing that crazy nonsense. Jeez, Saluki, think of someone else for a change. Oh, and how close are you to option A and option B???

UNC or Bust,
I actually love reading your crazy nonsense; it helps distract me from the voices in my head :laugh: And if you're asking how good of a shot I have at getting into Mayo or Wash U, think of the odds of winning the lottery....

Saluki said:
UNC or Bust,
I actually love reading your crazy nonsense; it helps distract me from the voices in my head :laugh: And if you're asking how good of a shot I have at getting into Mayo or Wash U, think of the odds of winning the lottery....
your name sounds like a girls so it wouldn't help anyways....

UNC-or-BUST said:
your name sounds like a girls so it wouldn't help anyways....

Saluki is actually the name of a breed of dog, but I am a girl... Does that make a difference? Do they try to replace people who withdraw with similar people?

Originally Posted by UNC-or-BUST
Well, LORs can't mean much b/c they are always good.... in fact my boss actually put $100 bills in my LORs b/c only reads LORs sent to him to make sure the applicant is not crazy, or atleast not crazier that himself. (the event, and or events deplicted in this statement are false, they have no basis in the real world and would likely result in no acceptance or even interveiw, unless done to a school like U Iowa or Vanderbiltwhich are essentially nursing school or maybe even really poor PA schools, plz do not us this advice ever or even read this b.c it will likely make you dumber, even though dumber is no proper english you get the point, blah blah blah blah blah, Vote for Anyone else but Hiliary in 2008 or even 2012, lesbians have no place in the White House, except for the presidents office during late afternoons when the rest of the staff at home and his wife is knitting or cooking or whatever females do when they are not raising/watching the kids)

The really frightening thing is that I'm not sure this even cracks the top 100 weirdest posts on SDN.

yep, thats my work

I'm confused, UNC, didn't you post somewhere else in this thread that you'd gotten the acceptance call from Franco?

Saluki said:
I'm confused, UNC, didn't you post somewhere else in this thread that you'd gotten the acceptance call from Franco?
YES I did, on page 3, read it, in the first paragraph I say "lets pretend" In America P_R_E_T_E_N_D means to imagine something or some event that is not real or not likely to be real. Such as, it is unlikely that I will get accepted before April 15th, thus typing a fictional event inwhich I was accepted might, by some, be considered pretend. Furthermore, pretend is of germanic and latin origins, pre- being latin for before and tend, descending from "tond" or in german "land" thus, pretend would be pre-land or before land

UNC-or-BUST said:
YES I did, on page 3, read it, in the first paragraph I say "lets pretend" In America P_R_E_T_E_N_D means to imagine something or some event that is not real or not likely to be real. Such as, it is unlikely that I will get accepted before April 15th, thus typing a fictional event inwhich I was accepted might, by some, be considered pretend. Furthermore, pretend is of germanic and latin origins, pre- being latin for before and tend, descending from "tond" or in german "land" thus, pretend would be pre-land or before land

Forgetfulness: an impairment of memory or a tendency not to remember word for word posts made several days ago :laugh: