Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I withdrew from everywhere else today.

I am going for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Daichi Katase said:
I withdrew from everywhere else today.

I am going for sure.
Did they call and ask you to withdraw?

hi,
Has anyone contacted current students to see how they like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
waddap yall?

I'll be coming to CCLM for sure so I thought I might as well register on SDN and say waddap.

This is the updated list, wow thats sad there must be a handful of dirty rotten lurkers out there! :laugh:
Potentially there will be more holdees getting in on this thread then current acceptees... :eek: I'll be shocked if no one heres by Wednesday night. My horoscope says Thursday at 2:40 pacific time I'll get a call, I will be in Scottsdale AZ playing golf and swimming... I mean attending a very important symposia!!! Maybe both :thumbup:

GPD02001
Daichi Katase
tree_monkey
blkprl[/QUOTE]
autoimmunity

Saluki

im losing my mind waiting for any word..
is it possible that holdees could be rejected within the next week (or whenever) or is it just acceptance or nothing at all

i called the office yesturday and i guess im still a little bit unclear, but the gist of what i got was that was that no one has been taken off of the hold lists yet, and it could still be two (or more) weeks before we hear anything i think. i dont think they've recieved word from all the current acceptees yet, so i think they may still be waiting on that.

bsteves4 said:
i called the office yesturday and i guess im still a little bit unclear, but the gist of what i got was that was that no one has been taken off of the hold lists yet, and it could still be two (or more) weeks before we hear anything i think. i dont think they've recieved word from all the current acceptees yet, so i think they may still be waiting on that.

HAHA, wow. I'm sure they have heard from someone. Nothing...? Well no news is good news for now. I guess they took my post that they should move the deadline to May 15th seriously, probably a good idea for the school.
Well, i'll yet everyone know when I get my call, ;)

UNC-or-BUST said:
HAHA, wow. I'm sure they have heard from someone. Nothing...? Well no news is good news for now. I guess they took my post that they should move the deadline to May 15th seriously, probably a good idea for the school.
Well, i'll yet everyone know when I get my call, ;)

Since they gave out so few acceptances to begin with, I'm sure that there will be few people who get of the hold list. there quite a few people who are going that don't post here.....

bsteves4 said:
im losing my mind waiting for any word..
is it possible that holdees could be rejected within the next week (or whenever) or is it just acceptance or nothing at all

i guess i answered my own question..
rejection letter via snail mail yesturday evening.

this one stings more than any of the others .i think i am still a little shocked/reeling from the letter... anyway, good luck to the rest of you all with cclcm, and all of your future endevors (i cant spell). God Bless.

:( Bye Guys and Gals, I just withdrew from CCLCM :( . It was tough to bring myself to do it, but I hope that you all have an awesome time and hopefully I'll stay in touch with some of you. Best of luck!

Ashanti

Hi peeps.
I just withdrew today so perhaps I wouldn't get to see you guys in July then.
Goodluck to those of you still waiting.

I just withdrew as well... good luck getting off the waitlist, and good luck to all the great folks I met at 2nd look who are going to CCLCM next year! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
almost_there said:
I just withdrew as well... good luck getting off the waitlist, and good luck to all the great folks I met at 2nd look who are going to CCLCM next year! :)
Rejected last week on my birthday... :mad:

I alittle poetic justice I got a second rejection from CCLCM today along with a research Scholarship to UPenn... Still wondering what CCLCM was thinking :confused: , is it wrong to enjoy the withdrawals...?

UNC-or-BUST said:
Rejected last week on my birthday... :mad:

I alittle poetic justice I got a second rejection from CCLCM today along with a research Scholarship to UPenn... Still wondering what CCLCM was thinking :confused: , is it wrong to enjoy the withdrawals...?
Jackson Memorial scholarship... wow :eek:
three given per year for 50% tution and expenses. But five year program, free year...
That sounds just like the CCLCM program but cheaper and a top five school...
poetic justice my A$$. You got rejected, wow... someone screwed up. Probably b/c your not from CA or Ohio. How old are you? It seemed like most applicants were 25+ with advanced degrees. What kind of risk is the school taking in selecting applicants that have already done so many things... then again its easy to pull out and have a fall back. You should sit back and enjoy the show... another wave of withdraws. This school is no Mayo... :laugh:

TGF-beta_2 said:
three given per year for 50% tution and expenses. But five year program, free year...
poetic justice my A$$. You got rejected, wow... someone screwed up. Probably b/c your not from CA or Ohio. How old are you? It seemed like most applicants were 25+ with advanced degrees. What kind of risk is the school taking in selecting applicants that have already done so many things... then again its easy to pull out and have a fall back. You should sit back and enjoy the show... another wave of withdraws. This school is no Mayo... :laugh:

You think every top school is looking for the same student? Come on now. Take it easy on the haterade...

TGF-beta_2 said:

Honestly, my feeling is that in 4-5 years, we'll be watching as graduates of CCLCM cut a swathe through the best residencies. CCLCM has a phenomenal program, and has (in my opinion) PBL done right, along with a whole host of other unique aspects that will directly result in amazing physician-scientists.

I was just accepted…. I am so excited….Looking forward to meeting my new classmates…Well, CCLCM I am joining…My dream came true-such an awesome program—Top notch

almost_there said:
Honestly, my feeling is that in 4-5 years, we'll be watching as graduates of CCLCM cut a swathe through the best residencies. CCLCM has a phenomenal program, and has (in my opinion) PBL done right, along with a whole host of other unique aspects that will directly result in amazing physician-scientists.

I agree.

neala said:
I was just accepted…. I am so excited….Looking forward to meeting my new classmates…Well, CCLCM I am joining…My dream came true-such an awesome program—Top notch

CONGRATS! :thumbup:

Can't wait to meet ya

Thank you. Doco I can't wait to meet you too. I am so excited..

I have to thank gcomplex7 for letting me take his/her (?) spot.

UPSS” I wanted to say autoimmunity instead of doco..well my brain is shut off…

neala said:

Congratulations Neala!

I must say that I do agree with the other comments, I think that in the next few years CCLCM will definitely be highly coveted! Congrats and I hope you enjoy your time there, the classmates are all truely awesome. :)

Ashanti

neala said:
Thank you. Doco I can't wait to meet you too. I am so excited..

I have to thank gcomplex7 for letting me take his/her (?) spot.

haha. Enjoy... :)
You better make use of it, you are one of thirty-two.

:)

Just wanted to say hey to all my future classmates at CCLCM!!

TGF-beta_2 said:

Once upon a time, Mayo was new as well. Give the program a little time to get going... I know of people entering the class who turned down Wash U, Vandy, and UMich to come... With those kind of quality students, I think it will be like Mayo in a few years, but it's always nerve-wracking to jump on ship with a new program...

It's fine that you chose to withdraw, but no reason to hate on the school :(

It looks like I will probably be joining this party, just waiting for my financial aid package early next week. :D

Jim

hi everyone
sorry to hijack the cclcm thread, but i am in need of advice, and this is the best place i can think of asking... (i already got chastized in the pre-allo forum for this)

so i applied this year got rejected many many places, interviewed at five and rejected at three of those, post-interview. i got into one place (i didnt like it at all), and am on the waitlist at another place. two of those three interview rejections were case and cclcm. i didnt realize until after interviewing at a bunch of these places, how much i liked the pbl and research schools. in short i am wondering if is worth reapplying with a better mcat, and more experience (research or one-year masters) and taking another shot at a dream school (like cclcm) or just go to one of the schools i REALLY did not like.. thanks!!

bsteves4 said:
hi everyone
sorry to hijack the cclcm thread, but i am in need of advice, and this is the best place i can think of asking... (i already got chastized in the pre-allo forum for this)

so i applied this year got rejected many many places, interviewed at five and rejected at three of those, post-interview. i got into one place (i didnt like it at all), and am on the waitlist at another place. two of those three interview rejections were case and cclcm. i didnt realize until after interviewing at a bunch of these places, how much i liked the pbl and research schools. in short i am wondering if is worth reapplying with a better mcat, and more experience (research or one-year masters) and taking another shot at a dream school (like cclcm) or just go to one of the schools i REALLY did not like.. thanks!!

I'm sorry you didn't get into one of the schools that you really liked, but I don't think you should reapply. It's difficult to get into any US allopathic school, and you did it! You should be really proud of that. You're going to get a similar education anywhere, so just try to buck up and enjoy where you got in...

I wonder if the class is now full.....2 people off the alternate list on sdn, and there are surely a few who got off who arent on sdn....no movement lately.....anyone know anything?

I was notified last tuesday and was told I had a week, but they weren't planning on giving me a financial aid package until after i committed. I said I would like to see one first so that I could make the decision, so I now have an extended deadline until i get a package so other people may be in the same situation. I'm probably going to CC, but I want to make sure the financials make sense for me. Hope this helps.

Jim

Well, I got an amazing financial package so i'm crashing the party and withdrawing from my other school tomorrow, cleveland here I come. :thumbup:

Jim

GPD02001
Daichi Katase
tree_monkey
blkprl
autoimmunity
JDWflash44

Saluki

JDWflash44 said:
Well, I got an amazing financial package so i'm crashing the party and withdrawing from my other school tomorrow, cleveland here I come. :thumbup:

Jim

GPD02001
Daichi Katase
tree_monkey
blkprl
autoimmunity
JDWflash44

Saluki

:) AWESOME

Who's excited that we get to see Lebron next year? We're all going to be "witnesses"....so long as they resign his butt.

Sorry for the tangent. I was getting bored with all the talk about school and stuff. We'll have plenty of time for that in a couple of months!

autoimmunity said:
Who's excited that we get to see Lebron next year? We're all going to be "witnesses"....so long as they resign his butt.

Sorry for the tangent. I was getting bored with all the talk about school and stuff. We'll have plenty of time for that in a couple of months!

I have to admit I'm not a big NBA fan, but watching Lebron will be pretty cool. I wonder how affordable/available the Cavs, Browns, Indians tickets are? I would assume the Indians are, but not too sure about the other two. I'm actually more of a hockey fan. The Cleveland Barons are the minor league affiliate of the San Jose Sharks and have a few guys I grew up playing against, which is pretty cool. Any other hockey fans in the house?

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
I have to admit I'm not a big NBA fan, but watching Lebron will be pretty cool. I wonder how affordable/available the Cavs, Browns, Indians tickets are? I would assume the Indians are, but not too sure about the other two. I'm actually more of a hockey fan. The Cleveland Barons are the minor league affiliate of the San Jose Sharks and have a few guys I grew up playing against, which is pretty cool. Any other hockey fans in the house?

Jim

(raises hand)

As a Canadian, hockey is in my blood. In fact, I believe scientists have found the gene on a large portion of chromosome 1. I played a lot when I was a kid, but then moved on to football and bball in HS. What position did you play? I played goalie.

autoimmunity said:
(raises hand)

As a Canadian, hockey is in my blood. In fact, I believe scientists have found the gene on a large portion of chromosome 1. I played a lot when I was a kid, but then moved on to football and bball in HS. What position did you play? I played goalie.

I playey D up until my 1st year of junior hockey then I was swithed to left wing by my coach. I played there for the rest of that year and my second year of junior, and my attempt to play in college, which ended with three knee surgeries, which in part led me to where I am now. Weird how these things work out.

Jim

Let me ask you guys...

I know we all have just CCLCM as our one acceptance, but I'm sure many of us are still on waitlists.

How many of you guys are going to withdraw from CCLCM post-May 15th if/when you get off other waitlists?

What waitlisted schools are you guys considering, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm 100% going to CC, no waitlists for me.

Jim

I am definitively going to CCLCM (just send my signed letter). I really loved the school…. hopefully I’ll feel the same five years from now.

I have a question for all you guys: are you worried about the assessment strategies used by CCLCM? No tests just portfolio-did I get this right?

Hey guys....I was told by Dr. Franco that I am on the "high alternate list"...and I really want an acceptance....I have been showing my interest and everything....but I really have no idea of my chances despite being high on the list. Dr. Franco says she won't know anything more until after May 15th....Can one of you acceptees call the admissions office and ask if the class is currently full? I know that they haven't gone to the alternate list yet, but have accepted people like Jim and Neala who they wanted to intitally but didn't have spots....I'm just wondering if they filled all the open spots with those people....the admissions office won't tell me...maybe they'll tell someone who's accepted...thanks!

TGF-beta_2 said:
When you're on an adcom, maybe your opinion will actually have some validity. Since when do you get to say who ought to get let into the school? What the hell is your problem anyway? I for one am glad that you aren't going to be coming. :thumbdown:

I'm going to Case, BTW. Looking forward to meeting everyone. :)

SmoothNC said:
Hey guys....I was told by Dr. Franco that I am on the "high alternate list"...and I really want an acceptance....I have been showing my interest and everything....but I really have no idea of my chances despite being high on the list. Dr. Franco says she won't know anything more until after May 15th....Can one of you acceptees call the admissions office and ask if the class is currently full? I know that they haven't gone to the alternate list yet, but have accepted people like Jim and Neala who they wanted to intitally but didn't have spots....I'm just wondering if they filled all the open spots with those people....the admissions office won't tell me...maybe they'll tell someone who's accepted...thanks!

I talked to someone at the Admissions Office and she says that she expects more movement since people will be withdrawing once other schools' waitlists roll around.

Hope this helps.

Kudos said:
When you're on an adcom, maybe your opinion will actually have some validity. Since when do you get to say who ought to get let into the school? What the hell is your problem anyway? I for one am glad that you aren't going to be coming. :thumbdown:

WORD! :)

Kudos said:

HavefunfreezingyourassoffinCleveland :laugh:

TGF-beta_2 said:
HavefunfreezingyourassoffinCleveland :laugh:

Wow, how old are you?

Speaking of admissions committees messing up, maybe they messed up accepting YOU. I'm pretty happy you didn't come to 2nd look and even happier you won't be one of my classmates. Seems like we picked up better people with your spot. :thumbup:

Just wondering if people have been looking into housing. What neighborhoods should be avoided. I've heard that many students live in Cleveland Heights. Personally I'm looking to buy, probably a condo. What are the opinions of shaker heights? It seems to be just south of cleveland heights, but it's considerably more affordable. Maybe someone thats from Cleveland can help me out here.

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
Just wondering if people have been looking into housing. What neighborhoods should be avoided. I've heard that many students live in Cleveland Heights. Personally I'm looking to buy, probably a condo. What are the opinions of shaker heights? It seems to be just south of cleveland heights, but it's considerably more affordable. Maybe someone thats from Cleveland can help me out here.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I'm actually heading to Cleveland this weekend to find an apartment. You're completely right about Shaker Heights being more affordable. While Cleveland Heights is closer to the CC, I think I'll still be driving. So living a little further in Shaker Heights doesn't really bother me. Shaker seemed nice on Second Look but we really didn't get a GOOD look at the neighborhood.

I can let you guys know how things turn out this weekend after I get back. BTW, I'll be renting so I might not be able to give you very helpful feedback about condos and what-not. But at least I can let you know about the neighborhood.

If you guys plan on revisiting Cleveland on your own and need to find a hotel, I would recommend hotwire.com. I'm staying in a pretty nice hotel for half the retail price! :thumbup:

I will be going to Cleveland this weeekend, too. We are still deciding whether to buy or rent. Thus, we will be looking at everything.Yesterday, I talked to the MD who finished residency at Cleveland Clinic . He suggested Shaker Heights. Thus, you guys are on the right track.

Autoimm., I might see you in Cleveland. Have a safe trip (I assume you are driving-I am). Wheather will be bad-average 58-60F. I want summer not cold wheather j/k.

Neala (bad spelling person)

autoimmunity said:
Hey Jim,

I'm actually heading to Cleveland this weekend to find an apartment. You're completely right about Shaker Heights being more affordable. While Cleveland Heights is closer to the CC, I think I'll still be driving. So living a little further in Shaker Heights doesn't really bother me. Shaker seemed nice on Second Look but we really didn't get a GOOD look at the neighborhood.

I can let you guys know how things turn out this weekend after I get back. BTW, I'll be renting so I might not be able to give you very helpful feedback about condos and what-not. But at least I can let you know about the neighborhood.

If you guys plan on revisiting Cleveland on your own and need to find a hotel, I would recommend hotwire.com. I'm staying in a pretty nice hotel for half the retail price! :thumbup:

Hello everyone,
I'm a (procrastinating) second year, checking out the new class on SDN on a Friday afternoon when I should be doing my CAPPs ;) oh well.
Anyway, for people looking at housing, here are my thoughts after living here for two years:
- I bought a condo right off of Shaker Square. *Lovely* area to live, but not exactly cheap. The square is on the up and up - we now have a sweet coffee shop and a grocery store, both of which are incredibly convenient. I really like my building, and amusingly, will have one of the current first years as my next door neighbor soon. If people are interested in buying and want a realtor, I loved mine and would recommend her - Hilary Mason King, of Smythe Cramer.
- For people who want to live among the Cleveland hipsters, I would check out Tremont and Ohio City. These are both on the west side of downtown. Ohio City has the added benefit of being right by the Westside market, and friends of mine who live over there go at least once weekly to buy produce, meat, fish, etc. Tremont is a really interesting artsy area with a good mix of young and old people.
- There is a growing contingent of CCLCM students who live at the Bingham downtown. It's an old building that has been converted to a ton of lofts, right in the middle of the downtown scene.
- For others considering Shaker but not buying - I would just caution you to think about how far you're willing to drive everyday. . . One of my classmates lives 2 miles farther down Van Aken from me, which may not seem like much, but when you have to be at class every day, that can add up! It probably takes me between 7-15 minutes to get to class in the morning, depending on the commute. I don't think I would be ok with driving any more than that.
- Other nice areas are Cedar-Fairmount (kind of busy traffic, but nice old apartments and super close to the clinic), Cedar-Lee (farther out, but a nice area), and Coventry (more of an undergraduate scene).

So those are my thoughts. I hope they help!