Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We use a lot of very scientific descriptors at work, such as "badness" and "bad juju". [Edit - not in front of the client...haha]

I've been known to use the word badness in front of clients... Only the ones I know reasonably well. But yeah. It's slipped out a few times haha

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last week my boss had a patient with some particularly interesting blood work. I described it as 'something you'd include on a clin path final exam if you really hated the students'.

Ironically though, most of the really weird clin path cases tend to be my patients...

It will only get worse...once you are a vet they'll expect free exams and diagnoses without any labwork ever.

Luckily, my mother is the only person in my immediate / close family with pets, and after everything she's done to help me while I'm in school, I sure as heck will do anything our family pets need / foot the bill!

I get Facebook messages all the time from my aunt though, with photos or videos of stray cats with issues that puzzled her vet in Singapore - and I'm always like, well, if your VET didn't know, why would I know? But they have made for some interesting conversations with professors!

We use a lot of very scientific descriptors at work, such as "badness" and "bad juju". [Edit - not in front of the client...haha]

I have a friend who was a vet tech and before vet school and she's always looking at cases in class and saying "that's FUBARed" or "DIC" (death is coming)

Luckily, my mother is the only person in my immediate / close family with pets, and after everything she's done to help me while I'm in school, I sure as heck will do anything our family pets need / foot the bill!
Well yeah, that's different from the situation I was commenting on. Your mom is one thing (and even then, someone has to pay for the services, even if it's you). But I was talking about aunts, unles, second cousins, friends of your grandparents, etc etc that expect to get free medical advice/care just because they know a vet.

Reactions: 1 user
It appears I have officially passed my first semester of vet school. There were two classes I was legit worried about, but the final grades are in, and by some miracle I passed both. Anatomy is still up in the air, but it is a multi-semester course, so I still have time to make it or break it. These are definitely the hardest classes I've ever taken and I'm not super proud of my performance thus far, but hopefully I can make up for it now that I have a better plan of attack.

Reactions: 1 users
It appears I have officially passed my first semester of vet school. There were two classes I was legit worried about, but the final grades are in, and by some miracle I passed both. Anatomy is still up in the air, but it is a multi-semester course, so I still have time to make it or break it. These are definitely the hardest classes I've ever taken and I'm not super proud of my performance thus far, but hopefully I can make up for it now that I have a better plan of attack.
Yay! So you only have one grade for anatomy for the whole year?

:hungover: 10ish more weeks....

Finals Thursday/Friday. Then we have 'ghost week', and then Spring break (stupid, right?).

:hungover: 10ish more weeks....

Finals Thursday/Friday. Then we have 'ghost week', and then Spring break (stupid, right?).
Is that a week where there are ghost stories and people scaring others while yelling "boo?" :bag::vamp:

It always stinks to always have a week or two of school stuff before break when you are exhausted and would rather have it right now.

Is that a week where there are ghost stories and people scaring others while yelling "boo?" :bag::vamp:

It always stinks to always have a week or two of school stuff before break when you are exhausted and would rather have it right now.
I'm not 100% sure what it means, lol. I think it's because our 3rd years our done with didactic lecture, but still have their clinical milestone exam? Or it could be because no one shows up to class that week haha.

We have to stay aligned with the undergrad break calendar, but we're broken up into quarters so it messes with some timing. Oh well, I'm leaving Wednesday haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
So...renal physio should be fun.

4 more weeks for us. This year flewwwwww.

So...renal physio should be fun.

4 more weeks for us. This year flewwwwww.
Renal is actually my favorite part of phys. I feel like it makes the most sense out of all of the different aspects of phys!

And hmm, does a bit less than 10 weeks left count as celebrating? :p so close but so far...

Renal is actually my favorite part of phys. I feel like it makes the most sense out of all of the different aspects of phys!

And hmm, does a bit less than 10 weeks left count as celebrating? :p so close but so far...
It's been built up to us all year by our upperclassmen as the worst 4 weeks of first year. That, and our professor is from the med school and likes to make no-so-polite comparisons...

So far, I feel comfortable with it, but the math equations gave me flashbacks to cardio/respiratory phys.

Two more days of class and then a week and two days of finals... where did this semester go? Or the year for that matter?

Our renal phys prof hasn't changed his questions much in over 10 years. That test has been my best grade in vet school so far!
:eek:

Our school is hella careful about exams being in the hands of students. There is no opportunity to share questions or hand down old exams. It makes reviewing for our finals kinda hard.

:eek:

Our school is hella careful about exams being in the hands of students. There is no opportunity to share questions or hand down old exams. It makes reviewing for our finals kinda hard.
Our school is well aware that we pass down tests and actually facilitates it. I have tests going back to 1998.

Ours varies by the class. Old exams are pretty much the only reason I passed bacT/virology/some other first year bs with something resembling an OK grade.

Kinda interesting. At UMN, for classes where the prof was ok with students having previous exams, the school kept copies and made them available. For classes where the profs weren't ok with that ... honor code covered it and it was a violation to give a copy to the class behind you. So they kinda did both, depending on the prof/class. Not sure if that's still how they handle it. I feel like it was really only first year (maybe a few classes second year?) where there were previous exams available.

I take it all of you have paper exams? We are 100% computer exams. The only time other than the exam when we get to see the questions is the post-exam review where we can see the questions and the answers for an hour or so. No notes, pictures, etc. allowed.

Our school is well aware that we pass down tests and actually facilitates it. I have tests going back to 1998.
Interesting how the schools differ...We are just recently switching to computer exams the past 2 semesters which would make this not easy anyway. None of our exams past/present/future are passed back and allowed to be kept. We can review them with our professor in their office or in our professional program support office. Now that it's on the computer, some of our professors allow us to see the questions we missed but the program shuts down our computer outside of the program (can't copy/paste or take screenshots) and you only get 2o or 30 minutes to view it. It's an honor code violation here to share any test questions/material with students who have not yet taken the exam. We actually had somewhat of a "cheating scandal" in the class below mine recently dealing with passing on exam questions (and taking an open-note "take home" online final in groups when it was supposed to be individual effort....) We now have to initial the honor code before every quiz/exam/homework assignment and they are switching a lot of take home exams to in class for finals.

Kinda interesting. At UMN, for classes where the prof was ok with students having previous exams, the school kept copies and made them available. For classes where the profs weren't ok with that ... honor code covered it and it was a violation to give a copy to the class behind you. So they kinda did both, depending on the prof/class. Not sure if that's still how they handle it. I feel like it was really only first year (maybe a few classes second year?) where there were previous exams available.
Not really the case these days. My first year they would hang the test keys in a glass display case and give us back the scantrons, but since then they won't even do that much. Now you have to go to the department or professor's office if you want to look at the test and key to review your test afterwards. Everything's locked down and honestly now it's just too much effort to go and review the tests so I just don't even bother. Not great for furthering my learning but whatever.

266 questions and 4 days stand between my class and summer break. Soooo cloooooose

One more final and then I'm done first year! I'm really looking forward to not studying all the time. I start my summer job on Tuesday and next weekend I'm farm sitting for an upperclassman. I need to find time/money for a vacation of some sort too.

Just finished my first year! It went by so fast!

Reactions: 1 user
We began school this week. I'm already feeling pretty overwhelmed and will be playing catch-up this weekend. @.@ It was nice to have summer break, though.

We started on the 15th, wishing I could have had one more week of vacation!

honorary member. I'll start a petition for your early graduation
Graduating without doing clinical year??

2a50a6de84db99fb075cacf498ea576791fc3bf5547528dbd444ea3dfe48abc7.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
There's not much to say about second year...besides drinking is fun. :D

Do any of you feel like you can't possibly know enough info to be a decent GP? I think I have imposter syndrome, lol. I'm starting to feel the pressure.

Oh, I can quite confidently say I don't know enough to be a GP.
Lol, thanks LIS. That helps, really. All of this Bac-t, virology, immuno, etc. is just really overwhelming me. I'm putting most of the pressure on myself, but when a professor seems disappointed that nobody in the class seems able to spit out treatments for any of the pathogens we've covered, I have to wonder what level we (or I myself) am expected to be at right this very second.

First year was hard, but it was easier to still feel separated from medicine. Now, I'm thinking "Oh, ****, I'm going to see this in practice."

Do any of you feel like you can't possibly know enough info to be a decent GP? I think I have imposter syndrome, lol. I'm starting to feel the pressure.

Always. The truth is once you leave vet school that is what books, CE and VIN are for. I look things up all the time. I've yet to have a client upset with me saying, "I'm not sure".

Always. The truth is once you leave vet school that is what books, CE and VIN are for. I look things up all the time. I've yet to have a client upset with me saying, "I'm not sure".
I just don't feel like I'm being prepared for clinics or boards even. For all I know, I'm still going about studying wrong and this is why I'm feeling like this.