Ross University May 2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the acceptance call from Ross!! So happy to have been admitted, but I admit I have a lot of reservations about the program. This is my first year applying and my interview was in mid December. My stats are as follows:

Cummulative GPA: 3.7
Verbal GRE: 164
Quantitative GRE: 157
Analytical Writing: 4.0
Experience in small animal clinics, zoos, wildlife rescues, and undergrad animal science programs

I haven't gotten into any US schools so far (including my IS). While I want to jump into vet school right away, the fact that Ross has a stigma as a "Caribbean vet school" makes me wonder what employers think of graduated Ross students. I'm not hearing great reviews from my coworkers at my vet clinic either, so it's making it harder and harder to be excited about going. I need some pro/con help right now. Should I go to Ross in the fall, or apply again in the next cycle and try for a US school again? (considering my stats)-- Feel free to PM me too.

I would do whatever you’re most comfortable with! If you’d rather stay in the States, you can always improve your app and try again next year. I’ve worked with great doctors who went to Ross and I don’t feel there’s a stigma once you’re out of school (I honestly feel like there’s more of a stigma from pre-vet students). Like someone said above, a DVM is a DVM. Ross is accredited for a reason.

I will most likely be attending Ross in the fall, unless called off the waitlist for Western. I decided not to reapply next year for several reasons. I’ve been kind of obsessively researching the program and the island since getting in haha, and am honestly very excited to attend there. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I got the acceptance call from Ross!! So happy to have been admitted, but I admit I have a lot of reservations about the program. This is my first year applying and my interview was in mid December. My stats are as follows:

Experience in small animal clinics, zoos, wildlife rescues, and undergrad animal science programs

I haven't gotten into any US schools so far (including my IS). While I want to jump into vet school right away, the fact that Ross has a stigma as a "Caribbean vet school" makes me wonder what employers think of graduated Ross students. I'm not hearing great reviews from my coworkers at my vet clinic either, so it's making it harder and harder to be excited about going. I need some pro/con help right now. Should I go to Ross in the fall, or apply again in the next cycle and try for a US school again? (considering my stats)-- Feel free to PM me too.
Although it’s a great school and I’ve made amazing friends, part of me wishes I had just waited to re-apply. I left my pets, boyfriend, and family back home, and knowing I won’t be back for another 2 years is depressing. Your stats are great, and I’m sure you’d have a chance at a state school. As far as the stigma, most practices aren’t going to care where you went to school. There’s also many Rossie owned practices that take preference to hiring newly graduated Ross students.

Reactions: 1 user
Although it’s a great school and I’ve made amazing friends, part of me wishes I had just waited to re-apply. I left my pets, boyfriend, and family back home, and knowing I won’t be back for another 2 years is depressing. Your stats are great, and I’m sure you’d have a chance at a state school. As far as the stigma, most practices aren’t going to care where you went to school. There’s also many Rossie owned practices that take preference to hiring newly graduated Ross students.

This is good to hear, I was also accepted into to Ross for the fall semester, but I'm torn between going there or waiting and reapplying next year. I'm holding out that the few schools I have left to hear from will give me better news.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is good to hear, I was also accepted into to Ross for the fall semester, but I'm torn between going there or waiting and reapplying next year. I'm holding out that the few schools I have left to hear from will give me better news.

I'm in the same boat as you - I'm just glad I got an offer! Lets see what the next couple months bring. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat -- haven't technically heard back from my IS yet, but am expecting a declination given my lower than average stats. I *think* I could have a chance at getting accepted to my IS if I applied again next round as my stats have gone up, but my spouse and I both decided that we would rather start making progress towards my degree by going ahead and starting at Ross. I feel like your situation is probably a little different because you have great stats and could definitely get in somewhere else next round (if you don't get in to the last couple places you're waiting to hear from), but for me, it's too much of a gamble to wait 1, 2, possibly even 3 more years to get accepted when I could've already been done at Ross by then.

My only reservation has been whether or not the stigma still exists, so I'm glad to hear that it seemingly has dwindled off over the years! I know two Ross vets who are amazing, but I'm still nervous about telling my old boss that I'm going there for some reason. He already jokingly told me "not to apply to one of those "dumb carribean" schools" sooooo it's going to be an awkward conversation haha. But at this point I don't even care- im so excited and thankful to be starting vet school in the fall!!

So I guess my final opinion on the "Do I go to Ross or apply again?" debate pretty much comes down to your stats. If you are an average/ above average applicant who just didn't have luck this year, I think I would stay back and apply again. But if you're more like me and have low stats that could take you several more rounds to get accepted, I would go ahead and go to Ross (IF you genuinely think you could thrive there). The cost is always the one of the most important aspects, but if I'm going to miss several years of would-be salary while waiting to get accepted somewhere else AND retaking classes, then it's not much more expensive for me to go to Ross anyways.

Last edited:
...but for me, it's too much of a gamble to wait 1, 2, possibly even 3 more years to get accepted when I could've already been done at Ross by then.

The cost is always the one of the most important aspects, but if I'm going to miss several years of would-be salary while waiting to get accepted somewhere else AND retaking classes, then it's not much more expensive for me to go to Ross anyways.

This is exactly how I feel too.

Q for current students!

What do Ross vet students wear on a typical day? Trying to start preparing for my vet school wardrobe, as I know some places want you to dress professionally, others require daily scrubs, etc....

Q for current students!

What do Ross vet students wear on a typical day? Trying to start preparing for my vet school wardrobe, as I know some places want you to dress professionally, others require daily scrubs, etc....
We don’t have a dress code, which is nice. Most people wear shorts and T-shirts, so just bring whatever you’re comfortable in. You need at least one pair of scrubs, coveralls, rubber boots, and at least one business professional outfit.

We don’t have a dress code, which is nice. Most people wear shorts and T-shirts, so just bring whatever you’re comfortable in. You need at least one pair of scrubs, coveralls, rubber boots, and at least one business professional outfit.

Awesome! Thanks :)

Just got accepted to Fall 2019 start! Might switch to the May start time - does anyone know what could be a benefit of doing this besides smaller class and starting earlier? Very excited but still waiting to hear from schools!!

Reactions: 3 users
Also, a rain jacket and umbrella

Just got accepted to Fall 2019 start! Might switch to the May start time - does anyone know what could be a benefit of doing this besides smaller class and starting earlier? Very excited but still waiting to hear from schools!!
There’s not much of a difference. If you go in May, you want to start getting everything in order NOW. It took me at least a couple months to schedule appointments for the health check, background check, and passports take a long time if you don’t already have one. May semester is slightly more in line with the state school’s clinical timeline, but I’m not sure if there’s a benefit to that.

Just got accepted to Fall 2019! Little confused because I just interviewed like last week, but so excited!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone for fall gotten their welcome packet yet?? I was only just accepted last week so I figured it might take a while but thought I’d ask!

Where can I get my student ID to log onto myross? The field for it was blank in the acceptance email

Has anyone for fall gotten their welcome packet yet?? I was only just accepted last week so I figured it might take a while but thought I’d ask!

I was accepted January 15th and haven’t gotten it yet. There was a note in an email somewhere that it would be sent closer to the matriculation date, but not sure when that is. :-/

Another Q for current students--

Are we essentially limited to only going home during our scheduled inter-semester breaks? I am the maid of honor in a wedding that is the first week of November and I'm kinda freaking out. I feel like I need to find out ASAP if I'm not going to be able to come home for it so I can tell the bride that I'm not going to be there. Wedding is on a Saturday, so I'm not even sure how I'd make it work anyways with flying home after class on Friday.

What do people do when they have obligations back home?

Are we essentially limited to only going home during our scheduled inter-semester breaks? I am the maid of honor in a wedding that is the first week of November and I'm kinda freaking out. I feel like I need to find out ASAP if I'm not going to be able to come home for it so I can tell the bride that I'm not going to be there. Wedding is on a Saturday, so I'm not even sure how I'd make it work anyways with flying home after class on Friday.

I know of people who went home for a weekend (specifically for weddings). If you’re leaving the island mid-semester, you have to get approval from the dean. If you’re only going to be gone over the weekend, you’ll be approved no problem. If you plan to leave on a weekday, missed tests cannot be made up and missing more than two labs will drop your grade pretty low. Most lectures aren’t mandatory attendance, and they’re always recorded to watch online.

I was lucky enough that my friend planned her bachelorette party and wedding around my breaks :love:

I know of people who went home for a weekend (specifically for weddings). If you’re leaving the island mid-semester, you have to get approval from the dean. If you’re only going to be gone over the weekend, you’ll be approved no problem. If you plan to leave on a weekday, missed tests cannot be made up and missing more than two labs will drop your grade pretty low. Most lectures aren’t mandatory attendance, and they’re always recorded to watch online.

I was lucky enough that my friend planned her bachelorette party and wedding around my breaks :love:

Whew so much relief!! Thank you for answering!!

Hey guys! Anyone who got accepted for the fall get an offer to start in May instead? Seriously considering it...

Hey guys! Anyone who got accepted for the fall get an offer to start in May instead? Seriously considering it...
Yup got the call yesterday about the scholarship offered if i started May. Kind of weird they called given that I emailed the admissions person and gave up my seat.

I believe they are trying to get people for the May class due to having a smaller class size there hence the scholarship offered. If you’re set on Ross and can go in May, that would be a good opportunity where you would get a scholarship!

Yup got the call yesterday about the scholarship offered if i started May. Kind of weird they called given that I emailed the admissions person and gave up my seat.

I believe they are trying to get people for the May class due to having a smaller class size there hence the scholarship offered. If you’re set on Ross and can go in May, that would be a good opportunity where you would get a scholarship!
How much was the scholarship if you don't mind me asking?

How much was the scholarship if you don't mind me asking?

Don’t mind at all! I was told by the admissions lady who called that it was 10 grand.

However, the email she sent me said a 5000 dollar scholarship, paid first semester on campus housing, round trip airfare for first trip to st.kitts not to exceed 1000 dollars.

I’m guessing all of that adds up to 10k? I was a bit confused since on the phone it sounded like straight up 10k tuition scholarship.

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to attend ross in the fall and am trying to bring my dog with me. What do you do with you pet when you travel home? If I take him home with me do I have to go through all the rabies titers again?

How hard is it to get into off campus housing the first semester?? I’m going to be bringing my dog who is 40 pounds and they have to be under 35 for on campus housing

Don’t mind at all! I was told by the admissions lady who called that it was 10 grand.

However, the email she sent me said a 5000 dollar scholarship, paid first semester on campus housing, round trip airfare for first trip to st.kitts not to exceed 1000 dollars.

I’m guessing all of that adds up to 10k? I was a bit confused since on the phone it sounded like straight up 10k tuition scholarship.
Oh okay, thanks! 10k only for the first semester I assume? 10k seems like a lot in general but looking at the grand scheme of things for vet school, if it's just one semester that's only a very small dent in what we're going to be paying.

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to attend ross in the fall and am trying to bring my dog with me. What do you do with you pet when you travel home? If I take him home with me do I have to go through all the rabies titers again?
A lot of people will get sitters. You don’t need to run titers every time you travel, they’re good for a year I think. I could be wrong.

How hard is it to get into off campus housing the first semester?? I’m going to be bringing my dog who is 40 pounds and they have to be under 35 for on campus housing
People bringing VIP will automatically live off campus, but there’s plenty of people without that live off campus because there aren’t enough dorms. I would talk to housing about bringing your dog, and they’ll probably let you live off campus.

Is anyone who has been accepted to Ross for the fall semester nervous about the probationary accreditation? I know that Ross is currently accredited, but is there any possibility of that accreditation being lost while we are attending veterinary school? I would rather reapply next semester if this is my only option then waste hundreds of thousands of dollars if that accreditation could be lost within the first couple years.

Is anyone who has been accepted to Ross for the fall semester nervous about the probationary accreditation? I know that Ross is currently accredited, but is there any possibility of that accreditation being lost while we are attending veterinary school? I would rather reapply next semester if this is my only option then waste hundreds of thousands of dollars if that accreditation could be lost within the first couple years.

Yes. But from what I understand about accreditation, any students who are currently enrolled at a school that loses accreditation while they are there are allowed to finish their degree. So if they lose it, we will be able to finish and be practicing vets just like everybody else, they just won't be allowed to bring any new students in beyond that point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Although it certainly will not make us look fantastic if our school loses accreditation, obviously. So I'm still uneasy about it.

Yes. But from what I understand about accreditation, any students who are currently enrolled at a school that loses accreditation while they are there are allowed to finish their degree. So if they lose it, we will be able to finish and be practicing vets just like everybody else, they just won't be allowed to bring any new students in beyond that point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Although it certainly will not make us look fantastic if our school loses accreditation, obviously. So I'm still uneasy about it.

Yeah, that is my understanding as well (about being enrolled before possible accreditation loss). It makes me a little nervous as well, but I would imagine they’re doing everything they can to not lose their accreditation. I believe they have two years to fix their deficiencies..

This is the email we got last semester.

Dear campus community,

I shared with you in my recent weekly newsletter that RUSVM’s accreditor, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Council on Education, was about to announce the outcomes of our site visit for reaccreditation. This review consisted of the school’s self-study, the report from the site visit team, and the school’s response to the site team’s report.

I am pleased to share that we received positive results in 10 of the 11 accreditation standards: Organization, Finances, Physical Facilities & Equipment, Clinical Resources, Information Resources, Students, Admissions, Faculty, Curriculum, Research Programs. In one of the standards related to outcomes assessment, the AVMA notes that we have some work to do in collecting and measuring our outcomes data to ensure a quality program. While the AVMA refers to this as Probationary Accreditation, to be clear, RUSVM remains accredited by the AVMA as we continue to work on this standard. I’m happy to report that we have already taken significant steps in this area and will continue this important effort and communicate its progress.

AVMA accreditation is something that the whole community should be proud of. RUSVM students can be confident that they are gaining experience in veterinary practice that upholds the AVMA standards of care, and our partners can be assured that our students, faculty and staff are being educated and developed by a university that upholds these high standards. Evaluations like this help us keep up-to-date on changes in the veterinary industry and they also allow us to make many improvements to ensure we maintain our high standards of veterinary care and serve the community of St Kitts and Nevis.

As always, I’ll keep you informed of our progress in the outcomes assessment area and the other efforts we will take to maintain our high standards at the university.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know anything about the "campus shuttle route?" When looking at apartments through the RUSVM site, some of them were mentioning that they're on it. I plan on buying a car once I'm on the island, but it would be nice if I didn't have to worry about it right away.
Its a cool thing, was just getting going when I was finishing my time there. They pick up/drop you right at your door.

There is also the free after hours shuttle daily for if you stay late on campus and don't want to walk/take a taxi/dont have a car to get home. But they wont bring you to campus fo free like that.

I would go, you can always transfer if you hate it. I had/have zero regrets about having gone to ross!

Also, your coworkers are the exception not the rule. The main stigma out there about Rossies are better at certain things than US grads. The most common ones I heart were that we have better surgical skills and better client communications (since we take communications labs while most state schools do not). While I was in clinics I had many clinicians that would be like "WHERE IS THE ROSSIE because they're always better at [insert random surgical procedure/knowledge here]." I had no problem getting a job and had many competitive offers and other practices soliciting me. At my clinic 4 out of 10 doctors are from Ross.

Plus, if you're flexible on location SO many places are hiring, you will be able to find a job no matter where you go to school for that reason alone.

Reactions: 2 users

You will be able to see if that will work with your schedule once you receive it the Friday before classes start. If you would need to miss a lab you will need to have the absence approved in order to either make up the lab or just miss it but not have a grade deductions. If you only have lectures that day you should be fine.

Just got my acceptance for the September start date!

For current students, any safety concerns? I’ve always lived in major cities and I feel like a lot of the common sense principles would apply (not going out alone, not leaving valuables in car, being aware of surroundings, etc.), but overall do you feel pretty safe?

For current students, any safety concerns? I’ve always lived in major cities and I feel like a lot of the common sense principles would apply (not going out alone, not leaving valuables in car, being aware of surroundings, etc.), but overall do you feel pretty safe?
I’ve never felt unsafe, but I also wouldn’t ever travel anywhere alone, partially because I don’t have a working island phone and would have no way to contact someone if needed. Ross security is available 24/7, so if you ever feel unsafe, you can call and they will escort you to where you need to be.

Theft is the number one crime, but seems to be mostly confined to the “nicer” parts of the island. I wouldn’t keep vaulables in sight in a car or even your house.

T-mobile offers free international, which I would highly recommend so you’re able to use your phone everywhere you go. If you bring an unlocked phone, you can use the SIM card the school gives you. You can also purchase an island phone, but it’ll most likely be a brick-like nokia phone.

I would go, you can always transfer if you hate it. I had/have zero regrets about having gone to ross!

Also, your coworkers are the exception not the rule. The main stigma out there about Rossies are better at certain things than US grads. The most common ones I heart were that we have better surgical skills and better client communications (since we take communications labs while most state schools do not). While I was in clinics I had many clinicians that would be like "WHERE IS THE ROSSIE because they're always better at [insert random surgical procedure/knowledge here]." I had no problem getting a job and had many competitive offers and other practices soliciting me. At my clinic 4 out of 10 doctors are from Ross.

Plus, if you're flexible on location SO many places are hiring, you will be able to find a job no matter where you go to school for that reason alone.
Thanks so much for this. Exactly what you said have been what I’ve been worrying about since I’ve been accepted and your response has made me much more excited!!

So officially made the decision tonight to start in May instead of Sept. It’s a big change, but I’m excited (and maybe a little terrified haha) to be starting so soon. Anyone else starting in May??

So officially made the decision tonight to start in May instead of Sept. It’s a big change, but I’m excited (and maybe a little terrified haha) to be starting so soon. Anyone else starting in May??
I got the email offering me the May start but it stressed my out way too much haha I’m excited but think I need the summer to get everything together for school/island life

I'm thinking of starting in May!Trying to see if I can get all my paperwork ready by then.

My vet said the same thing about the surgical skill of Ross students.