Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3rd year seems to have so much free time. I am thoroughly enjoying this schedule.
Lucky. The first half of 3rd year here just seems like a continuation of 2nd year from looking at the schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3rd year seems to have so much free time. I am thoroughly enjoying this schedule.

I felt like third year was a JOKE compared to second year. I mean, it was still vet school - still had plenty of tests, etc. But we went from week after week of solid 9-5 class to suddenly having a couple classes in the morning, a couple in the afternoon, with plenty of half days, etc..... it was like vacation prior to fourth year.

It waxes and wanes. Overall so much better than 2nd year IMO though.

I'm sorry y'all got stuck in the sh*tty plastic fart chairs room again. Stupid big class kicking you out of YOUR auditorium... looking at you @cdoconn...

I'd set fire to something if that happened to our class. I was glad to have the nice chairs and convenient plugins and sleepy dimming lights after the broken butts and fights over plugs in year one and the elbow bumping crowded-ness in year two...

The only consolation (as someone else on FB pointed out) is imagining that one bald phys professor trying desperately to use his old school overhead projector in the auditorium. He's gonna have to bow down to technology after all these years, for his last year of teaching. Haha.
They are letting us spread to 259, so myself, the cow guys, and a few others sit in there with mirrored screen and audio, no teach. Plus, I still park side street, so it's closer and I don't have to see anyone except that small cohort in 259. Worked in my favor. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, we have tox online self taught, no actual class period because we couldn't replace Dr. Morgan. The guy that was gonna do it from Kstate ended up having to go back to S. Africa. I love self taught, as I never have gone to class really anyway and always listened to echo instead. Now I don't even have to feel slight guilt.

Also, we have tox online self taught, no actual class period because we couldn't replace Dr. Morgan. The guy that was gonna do it from Kstate ended up having to go back to S. Africa. I love self taught, as I never have gone to class really anyway and always listened to echo instead. Now I don't even have to feel slight guilt.

At least you guys don't know what you're missing by not having her...

(A lot. Like my favorite class in vet school, and I still send her a Christmas card every year.)

I'd just do echo from home and not even worry about putting my butt in those plastic seats. Lol.

At least you guys don't know what you're missing by not having her...

(A lot. Like my favorite class in vet school, and I still send her a Christmas card every year.)

I'd just do echo from home and not even worry about putting my butt in those plastic seats. Lol.
hehe. Yeah, I didn't go to class today. And I have Dr. Morgan's last set of lectures from echo as my supplement to KState guy's lectures. I was disappointed she retired one year before I could get in there.

First day of third year is tomorrow. My mom made me realize today that this is my last first day of school/classes ever. I mean I'll have a first day of clinics, which is kind of the same I guess, but that is right after 3rd year classes are done. Yesterday was my last day of work for almost 2 years!

Just gonna keep jabbering away as a lone 2019er lol.

I am always sad on test days because I end up finishing out morning classes on mondays since I have a class not echoed in the afternoon. It sounds so wrong not being able to set 2x speed. These people talk so slow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Extremely laid back is how I'm handling this year. Not that I ever didn't before, but after two years off, just glad to be moving forward towards a concrete destination. ha
In fact, I am so laid back I decided Taco Bell was a terrific dinner choice the night before an 8 am test. No worries.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just stressing over 4th year planning. Right now I can take 8 weeks of vacation, but that means I won't get to do any externships or be able to do all the rotations I want. I think I actually could have 10 weeks, but no way am I giving up an exotics rotation!

I'm just stressing over 4th year planning. Right now I can take 8 weeks of vacation, but that means I won't get to do any externships or be able to do all the rotations I want. I think I actually could have 10 weeks, but no way am I giving up an exotics rotation!
My advice is to at least take some vacation time. You will thank yourself for it later.

We had a maximum of 4 weeks (2 blocks) of vacation plus an automatic 1 week vacation with the public health rotation (which I heard they were changing, sorry future UMN students). I took the max vacation time and it was nice to have time off from clinics.

FWIW I'm with KCoughli. Future you will appreciate vacation time. Don't necessarily need to take all 8 weeks .... we got 4 (Kcoughli and I went to the same vet school), and I found that sufficient.

But regardless, I'd take <some>.

My advice is to at least take some vacation time. You will thank yourself for it later.

We had a maximum of 4 weeks (2 blocks) of vacation plus an automatic 1 week vacation with the public health rotation (which I heard they were changing, sorry future UMN students). I took the max vacation time and it was nice to have time off from clinics.

Already changed, I think. I saw Larissa recently and she mentioned it being a two-week rotation now (unless she meant it "will" be). Apparently they had to add some things to it for COE purposes.

FWIW I'm with KCoughli. Future you will appreciate vacation time. Don't necessarily need to take all 8 weeks .... we got 4 (Kcoughli and I went to the same vet school), and I found that sufficient.

But regardless, I'd take <some>.

Already changed, I think. I saw Larissa recently and she mentioned it being a two-week rotation now (unless she meant it "will" be). Apparently they had to add some things to it for COE purposes.
Oh, I'm definitely taking SOME! I just don't know if 4 is enough, or 6, or should I take all 8. There is so much I want to do!

Oh, I'm definitely taking SOME! I just don't know if 4 is enough, or 6, or should I take all 8. There is so much I want to do!

I took 8 weeks...kind of...spent 2 weeks working with dyachei but they didn't count it so it was considered as vacation.

Took 2 weeks off around boards

Then took off the last 4 weeks off school before graduation...would highly recommend.

Last edited:
Just realized that the bulk of my first quarter is cardio. It's probably because I just never know wtf is going on when it comes to the heart, but man do I hate cardio.

Just realized that the bulk of my first quarter is cardio. It's probably because I just never know wtf is going on when it comes to the heart, but man do I hate cardio.

It goes lub dub. Unless it is a horse... then b lub dub d... though sometimes you don't hear all of that in the horse... sometimes you only hear 3 of those sounds... or even only two... but mostly just remember lub dub.... really... the heart moves the blood. :D

Reactions: 3 users
We get three weeks. I think a holiday is thrown in if lucky enough to be on a service that isn't open.

You either get Xmas week or NY week off too, for any rotation. So there's that. Could be better depending on what you end up with. I had SA surgery so... I dunno. I made lots of cookies.

I used my vacations for externships mostly, but tacked them onto real blocks. So did a three week externship, got "real" credit for the first two and then the last week bled into a vacation block and I had a week off afterwards. (or vice versa, started on a vacation block and bled into a real one). It was a nice way to get a little vacation in and not feel like it was a "waste".

It goes lub dub. Unless it is a horse... then b lub dub d... though sometimes you don't hear all of that in the horse... sometimes you only hear 3 of those sounds... or even only two... but mostly just remember lub dub.... really... the heart moves the blood. :D
Like...I can tell you when there's a problem, like a lack of heartbeat for example. But the physics and conductivity of the heart? :laugh:

Finished Sx lectures yesterday. I love it when they blast through a class by having it everyday for however long then it is done. We used to have a bit more of a quarter system for third year, but all the rest of the classes are year long now. I get too bored too fast for that set up. I guess that is why I skip class then power through whatever is gonna be on a test the week of the test. haha

Argh. Had to come to class this morning to sign stuff. So much agony!!! haha
You've got to let your fans know that autographs will have to wait in the future

Was complemented on my suturing today during cadaver sx. That is always nice. Now I'm waiting for food delivery while enjoying Jeopardy. The guy that is on a winning streak is completely adorable.

Was complemented on my suturing today during cadaver sx. That is always nice. Now I'm waiting for food delivery while enjoying Jeopardy. The guy that is on a winning streak is completely adorable.
I wish we could do cadaver surgeries. The only time you really get to do one is if you get into the surgery club's spay lab or if there happen to be spare cadavers laying around that the surgery course coordinator can let you practice on.

We get videos and a typed up walkthrough. Not quite the same.

I wish we could do cadaver surgeries. The only time you really get to do one is if you get into the surgery club's spay lab or if there happen to be spare cadavers laying around that the surgery course coordinator can let you practice on.

We get videos and a typed up walkthrough. Not quite the same.

Yeah, I am extremely grateful for this experience. We have live ones too, but besides typical neuter/spay, do gastrotomy, gastropexy, chest tube insertion, cystotomy, bowel resection/anastomosis, enucleations and dental extractions. We do the first few with celiotomy too so we get that practice suturing. haha

Three weeks? Hmmmmmm. Could I handle three weeks of Lupin.....

Muahahhahaaaaa!!!

Terror.jpg