Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Asking for help is NOTHING to be ashamed of. You have to be smart enough to know you need help, and you are going to be much better off than someone who is too scared, unaware, or whatever to ask while its early enough to fix things. It's okay to be disappointed in your performance, but to do nothing different before the next assessment is your own fault! You're going figure it out! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Did below average on my anatomy practical. Seeing as how the average was a 50%, that's not good. I also just got an email saying I'm eligible for free tutoring through the school now, so that's salt in the wound. I'm mortified. I know I'm being extremely hard on myself right now but I am so ashamed :( All that's going through my mind right now is that the vets who I look up to probably never were told they need to be tutored...

As someone who barely passed anatomy, definitely take advantage of the tutoring or getting help from other classmates. I tried to get help, but honestly should have tried a bit more and because I only squeaked by, my anatomy knowledge is fairly subpar and I find that I have a hard time with some things in clinics (although I also might not review as much as others before hand because I have things outside of clinics that I'm prioritizing). I also probably resisted some help because I'm stubborn and have always done things on my own.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who barely passed anatomy, definitely take advantage of the tutoring or getting help from other classmates. I tried to get help, but honestly should have tried a bit more and because I only squeaked by, my anatomy knowledge is fairly subpar and I find that I have a hard time with some things in clinics (although I also might not review as much as others before hand because I have things outside of clinics that I'm prioritizing). I also probably resisted some help because I'm stubborn and have always done things on my own.
I'm definitely taking advantage of the tutor, but I'm also struggling with the general class structure. My class is the first year where a lot of huge changes have been made. It's difficult for me to keep on track with the actual dog dissection (then learning it), then dissecting a cow (then learning it), then a horse (and learning it). Apparently years before us had it broken up differently. I think overall it's a time management issue, but we only have so many dedicated lab hours with instructors to help us out with the actual dissection portion. Catching up on dissection outside of class gets difficult when group mates aren't comfortable cutting without an instructor around. I'm just having a hard time deciding how to go about all of this. I know everyone has to go through this, but I feel like I'm having a harder time with it

Members don't see this ad :)
Did below average on my anatomy practical. Seeing as how the average was a 50%, that's not good. I also just got an email saying I'm eligible for free tutoring through the school now, so that's salt in the wound. I'm mortified. I know I'm being extremely hard on myself right now but I am so ashamed :( All that's going through my mind right now is that the vets who I look up to probably never were told they need to be tutored...

I also didn't do so great on the practical portion of my first anatomy exam. For me, it basically came down to taking too long to get into the groove of the 8-5 schedule and being too exhausted to study when I got home (power naps have now fixed this haha). I also let myself slack with anatomy because I did pretty great in undergrad anatomy (I know, how stupid of me). I knew muscles pretty well, but was severely lacking in the nerves and vessels. The lecture portion of the exam was pretty evenly distributed material-wise so I did pretty good on that one, but I felt like the practical was mostly nerves and vessels, so I bombed it. I was pretty disappointed in myself, but I know why I failed it and I know how to fix it. If I feel like I'm falling behind again, I'm definitely gonna use the free tutoring.

Also, a student on the panel during orientation mentioned that they miserably failed (35% I think) their first anatomy exams and they still managed to get a 3.5 in the class in the end. We may have lost this battle, but I have no doubt we can still win the war. ;)

It's difficult for me to keep on track with the actual dog dissection (then learning it), then dissecting a cow (then learning it), then a horse (and learning it). Apparently years before us had it broken up differently. I think overall it's a time management issue, but we only have so many dedicated lab hours with instructors to help us out with the actual dissection portion. Catching up on dissection outside of class gets difficult when group mates aren't comfortable cutting without an instructor around. I'm just having a hard time deciding how to go about all of this. I know everyone has to go through this, but I feel like I'm having a harder time with it

We dissected as we went as well (not sure how other schools would approach it, honestly!) and learned at the same time. For my group, and one amazing friend in particular, we went back after lab hours and re-hashed everything we'd already learned/dissected. For me, having someone quiz me (point and shoot, essentially) was so helpful. Just go around and around and keep going until it rolls right off the tip of your tongue. We already knew the structures from lab so we didn't have to dissect out new stuff without a professor around.

As for asking for help...I ask for help on a daily basis, many times per day. Sometimes it's just getting another vet's opinion, sometimes it's "I have no idea what this is!!" And guess what? The vets who've been working for 20+ years ask each other for ideas and help all of the time! It makes me feel great when I can repay the favor.

I know it's hard transitioning from undergrad where many vet students were the top of their classes, but vet school humbles you quickly, and the less you resist, the better for it you'll be. Never be afraid or ashamed to ask for help - if you're anything like me, or even the seasoned vets I work with, you'll be doing it for a while yet ;)

We dissected as we went as well (not sure how other schools would approach it, honestly!) and learned at the same time. For my group, and one amazing friend in particular, we went back after lab hours and re-hashed everything we'd already learned/dissected. For me, having someone quiz me (point and shoot, essentially) was so helpful. Just go around and around and keep going until it rolls right off the tip of your tongue. We already knew the structures from lab so we didn't have to dissect out new stuff without a professor around.

As for asking for help...I ask for help on a daily basis, many times per day. Sometimes it's just getting another vet's opinion, sometimes it's "I have no idea what this is!!" And guess what? The vets who've been working for 20+ years ask each other for ideas and help all of the time! It makes me feel great when I can repay the favor.

I know it's hard transitioning from undergrad where many vet students were the top of their classes, but vet school humbles you quickly, and the less you resist, the better for it you'll be. Never be afraid or ashamed to ask for help - if you're anything like me, or even the seasoned vets I work with, you'll be doing it for a while yet ;)
My biggest hurdle is the fact that we have a two dogs, a cow, a horse limb, and fresh tissue limbs between 8 people. The work gets split up so we can stay on track with the dissection process itself. We then have to go back and learn animals we haven't been cutting into ourselves and hope the rest of the group stayed on track when the exam rolls around. I'm sure all schools are like this, but we hopelessly outnumber our lab instructors as well, so it's hard to get help (especially during palpation).

I was never the tippy top of my class, but I wasn't below average either. I'm not that far behind (plus, the course mod appears to have my grade wrong anyways), but it still stings. :( I'm hoping I can really pick it up.

I was never the tippy top of my class, but I wasn't below average either. I'm not that far behind (plus, the course mod appears to have my grade wrong anyways), but it still stings. :( I'm hoping I can really pick it up.
One thing to keep in mind is that in your class of 100 something people, half of those students will be "below average." This doesn't mean you're stupid, or "below average." Unfortunately, not everyone can be "above average," but this is NOT a bad thing. If you would "zoom-out," on the curve to compare everyone else in the world, you would see that you are still miles above average intelligence, and you are capable as anyone else to become a capable and competent vet.

Just to reiterate- being in the bottom of the vet school curve does NOT mean you will be a failure as a vet. I think it's hard to adjust to this line of thinking because we've been taught (or at least I was) growing up that if you aren't miles above everyone else, you're not good enough. The thing is, everyone is good enough, that's why you are here, that's why you were accepted. Regardless of where you stand, they have enough DVMs for everyone on the curve, and after-all, the last person of the class is still called Dr. at the end of the day :)

Reactions: 5 users
My biggest hurdle is the fact that we have a two dogs, a cow, a horse limb, and fresh tissue limbs between 8 people. The work gets split up so we can stay on track with the dissection process itself. We then have to go back and learn animals we haven't been cutting into ourselves and hope the rest of the group stayed on track when the exam rolls around. I'm sure all schools are like this, but we hopelessly outnumber our lab instructors as well, so it's hard to get help (especially during palpation).

We had three people for one dog, and did large animal stuff second semester, so that definitely seems steeper than what we had to deal with. On the plus side, it's good that you're forced to learn on animals that you don't cut, since exams are typically on all specimens.

Sounds like you're motivated to improve - good luck! :luck:

I also didn't do so great on the practical portion of my first anatomy exam. For me, it basically came down to taking too long to get into the groove of the 8-5 schedule and being too exhausted to study when I got home (power naps have now fixed this haha). I also let myself slack with anatomy because I did pretty great in undergrad anatomy (I know, how stupid of me). I knew muscles pretty well, but was severely lacking in the nerves and vessels. The lecture portion of the exam was pretty evenly distributed material-wise so I did pretty good on that one, but I felt like the practical was mostly nerves and vessels, so I bombed it. I was pretty disappointed in myself, but I know why I failed it and I know how to fix it. If I feel like I'm falling behind again, I'm definitely gonna use the free tutoring.

Also, a student on the panel during orientation mentioned that they miserably failed (35% I think) their first anatomy exams and they still managed to get a 3.5 in the class in the end. We may have lost this battle, but I have no doubt we can still win the war. ;)
Well, if it helps, the first anatomy practical was the hardest one out of the entire year in my opinion. Soo much memorization on that one. It gets better!

We got our first test back this week and some of my fine peers (apparently the finest of my peers) are driving me up the wall. The fact that we got to see the grade distro, for a class that isn't even curved, is maddening.

Also, Hurricane Francis whirled through town last weekend and set us back significantly in anatomy. The one day first years usually get to review with professors on hand (i.e. tomorrow), we instead get to spend hacking away at pelvic limb nerves. Hurricane Joaquin appears perfectly poised to flood us just enough to make us miserable, but not enough to actually cancel our big, scary anatomy exams next week. :yeahright:

We got our first test back this week and some of my fine peers (apparently the finest of my peers) are driving me up the wall. The fact that we got to see the grade distro, for a class that isn't even curved, is maddening.

Also, Hurricane Francis whirled through town last weekend and set us back significantly in anatomy. The one day first years usually get to review with professors on hand (i.e. tomorrow), we instead get to spend hacking away at pelvic limb nerves. Hurricane Joaquin appears perfectly poised to flood us just enough to make us miserable, but not enough to actually cancel our big, scary anatomy exams next week. :yeahright:
I hadn't noticed anyone talking about the biochem test, but I may be blocking it out because I didn't do so well on it.

If you need to look at a male dog, or have any questions about anatomy lab, feel free to come ask my group. We'll be there starting at 8 this morning and then we're going back a little after 5. We're in the lower lab at the bottom of the steps closest to the lockers. My lab group is pretty good at finding things (them, not me).

We'll get through this!

I hadn't noticed anyone talking about the biochem test, but I may be blocking it out because I didn't do so well on it.

If you need to look at a male dog, or have any questions about anatomy lab, feel free to come ask my group. We'll be there starting at 8 this morning and then we're going back a little after 5. We're in the lower lab at the bottom of the steps closest to the lockers. My lab group is pretty good at finding things (them, not me).

We'll get through this!

Hang in there guys! I was a lousy first year student so I remember how sucky it can be, especially when a select few individuals like to let the world know how awesome they are. I remember crying over failing the first anatomy exam and having someone next me to whining about not getting one point when they got at least a solid B (might have even been an A) on the practical.

Reactions: 1 users
Hang in there guys! I was a lousy first year student so I remember how sucky it can be, especially when a select few individuals like to let the world know how awesome they are. I remember crying over failing the first anatomy exam and having someone next me to whining about not getting one point when they got at least a solid B (might have even been an A) on the practical.
We've got a few of those in our class too...makes me want to bring a large trout to school to slap them with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I PASSED MY QUIZ, I IMPROVED, AND I WAS ABOVE THE AVERAGE

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: 4 users
Our first anatomy practical is tomorrow, and I'm having major imposter syndrome/anxiety that I'm going to fail out of vet school. I know this is normal, but it doesn't ease my anxiety. I should probably see about getting a tutor. I feel like I don't know how to effectively study anymore.

Our first anatomy practical is tomorrow, and I'm having major imposter syndrome/anxiety that I'm going to fail out of vet school. I know this is normal, but it doesn't ease my anxiety. I should probably see about getting a tutor. I feel like I don't know how to effectively study anymore.
Good luck, I know you'll do well!

My vet school big is amazing!! She was made the transition to vet school so less stressful! Seven weeks in and I'm feeling good.

Two exams already this week and one more tomorrow plus an anatomy quiz. I foresee the first breakdown of my vet school career when we get our grades back...

It just kinda kicked in that after my finals are over next Friday, I won't have to study/sit in a lecture until late January. It was hard enough for me to come back after a year off of school (I'm still struggling tbh), and now I get another break! Geez. I suppose it's a perk of this curriculum style (It's affectionately called 'rotation vacation').

School is going well and I've been managing my stress levels until this week. My kitty cat is really sick and required an emergency visit to the vet this week in the morning before classes. She's not improving (still vomiting/diarrhea/peeing outside the litter box) and I'm so worried about her and it's making me stressed out. I feel like I'm spending so much time in school learning the basics of veterinary medicine and yet I don't have enough time to properly care for my cat she's getting more veterinary care tonight so hopefully she'll feel better, the messes will stop, and I can get back to studying.

School is going well and I've been managing my stress levels until this week. My kitty cat is really sick and required an emergency visit to the vet this week in the morning before classes. She's not improving (still vomiting/diarrhea/peeing outside the litter box) and I'm so worried about her and it's making me stressed out. I feel like I'm spending so much time in school learning the basics of veterinary medicine and yet I don't have enough time to properly care for my cat she's getting more veterinary care tonight so hopefully she'll feel better, the messes will stop, and I can get back to studying.
Muh kitty looks like she's feeling better! And I just gave up on yesterday and got extra sleep last night so I feel amazing today! Vet school lesson number one: know when you're not going to accomplish anything and just go to bed or sleep in an extra hour the next day.

Vet school lesson number one: know when you're not going to accomplish anything and just go to bed or sleep in an extra hour the next day.
I don't know how many times upperclassmen/vets can say this before it really sinks in. Sleep is just as important as studying, guys. Seriously. Your brain needs its rest so you can continue to cram more info in. Glad you figured it out early :)

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know how many times upperclassmen/vets can say this before it really sinks in. Sleep is just as important as studying, guys. Seriously. Your brain needs its rest so you can continue to cram more info in. Glad you figured it out early :)
It's so true. I don't know how many times I've heard that advice. I think I was convinced that it was a strict formula and 7-8 hours a night would carry me through the week buuuuuut sometimes you need more at the end of the week because you're stressed or vet school has been particularly exhausting.

It's so true. I don't know how many times I've heard that advice. I think I was convinced that it was a strict formula and 7-8 hours a night would carry me through the week buuuuuut sometimes you need more at the end of the week because you're stressed or vet school has been particularly exhausting.
I need 9-10 to feel good the next day (vet school or not), but I also have sleep apnea so it makes it harder to get good rest in less time. I also still have that 1PM feeling every day and desperately try to stay awake around that time! When I get home later, I almost always have to crash for at least 20 minutes to stay awake until 10-11 to get stuff done. I plan on sleeping a lot this weekend, that's for sure

Totally feel this. Went to sleep early last night, got a little studying done this morning and aced my anatomy exam that I wasn't feeling confident about. Sleep is a wonderful thing!

End of the first day of my first clinical rotation (Optho). I feel bad saying it, but I was horribly disinterested the entire time except when we got a consult request from equine. Maybe I have in fact caught the horse bug.

End of the first day of my first clinical rotation (Optho). I feel bad saying it, but I was horribly disinterested the entire time except when we got a consult request from equine. Maybe I have in fact caught the horse bug.
So you guys are having rotations in your first year? Are you on the quarter system?

So you guys are having rotations in your first year? Are you on the quarter system?
Yes and yes. Our rotations are more observation right now, although we are able to do hands-on things in some situations

Yes and yes. Our rotations are more observation right now, although we are able to do hands-on things in some situations
That sounds fun! We are on the quarter system, too.

That sounds fun! We are on the quarter system, too.
It's a nice break from classes, that's for sure! I already have a love-hate relationship with the quarter system, but it does make the information seem easier to handle (even though it's the same amount in reality).

*bump*

How's everyone doing?

Was doing okay until we had a histo test bright and early today... I already wasn't feeling prepared and I was so tired that I almost fell asleep on my computer mid-exam. I am so not looking forward to getting this grade back.

I feel like I'm doing alright, but we had an anatomy quiz that I prepared for, but when I got my grade back I didn't do so hot. I didn't fail, but I didn't do as well as I thought I did : / I was significantly below the average...
Overall I'm really enjoying vet school, I know this is where I'm meant to be, but I'm really missing home and am counting the days until I see my family and animals again

Was doing okay until we had a histo test bright and early today... I already wasn't feeling prepared and I was so tired that I almost fell asleep on my computer mid-exam. I am so not looking forward to getting this grade back.
Histo tests.... Boooooo

Didn't fail these last 2 histo tests! I'm no longer worried about failing any classes this semester. Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing ahead until the semester ends. :D

Didn't fail these last 2 histo tests! I'm no longer worried about failing any classes this semester. Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing ahead until the semester ends. :D
Yay! Looking forward to the same realization.

Everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the "other side". I mean, I had one anatomy exam covering ALL of anatomy and we went through ALL of anatomy in five weeks. And by all I mean, dog, cat, cow, horse, pig, etc. We did ALL of anatomy in five weeks and had one exam to encompass the whole thing. At that point, I wished it was all spread out like it is at other schools. Looking back on it now, I am not convinced it would have made a big difference. I am just as knowledgeable as my classmates with anatomy.... it just kind of sucked at that time. But, at least I was only tortured with anatomy for five weeks instead of a whole year... ;)

they expected you to learn it all in 5 weeks?!?!?!?!?!?! :wow:

Did you sleep at all during that time? o.0

I can't believe I didn't fail lecture. I actually did really well, though the lab exam is a different story LOL

Just started cell bio and genetics after finishing case-based anatomy and am having a terrible time paying attention in lecture every day :( PBL spoiled me for sure.

When's everyone done? We finish finals on December 11th, I think. So soon, yet so far away still! I'm grateful to start over next quarter with a new slate now that I know what to expect with vet school/studying load/what is a useless waste of time.

When's everyone done? We finish finals on December 11th, I think. So soon, yet so far away still! I'm grateful to start over next quarter with a new slate now that I know what to expect with vet school/studying load/what is a useless waste of time.
Dec. 17, but I don't go back until Jan. 18! I'm looking forward to covering organs and the heart (even though I've always struggled with cardiac anatomy) instead of the limbs.

December 18th, and then we start right back up again on January 4th.

Anyone else in the midst of finals? I've got two left... Cumulative, of course.

9 left here, I think only 7 are really cumulative though. This next week will be a party!

9 finals?! Dear god, what am I getting myself in to... Good luck! I'm sure you'll kill 'em!

9 finals?! Dear god, what am I getting myself in to... Good luck! I'm sure you'll kill 'em!
But you know, I obviously don't enjoy having 9 finals, but I wouldn't trade the situation nor the school I am in for the world :). Thanks! I forget, did you apply to Mizzou??

But you know, I obviously don't enjoy having 9 finals, but I wouldn't trade the situation nor the school I am in for the world :). Thanks! I forget, did you apply to Mizzou??

No I didn't :( I wish I would have though. A friend of mine recently toured and LOVED it. I am so glad you are happy there!

Anyone else in the midst of finals? I've got two left... Cumulative, of course.
Finals for us was right before Thanksgiving.

Gotta love trimesters... But we did have an exam today. Ugh.

9??? Dang!

Good luck everyone! Christmas break is almost here! Lots of drinking, not moving from the couch, binge watching Netflix, video games, and gearing up for next term!

Edit: meant to quote STL. Dunno what happened. Too lazy to fix.