Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just don't feel like I'm being prepared for clinics or boards even. For all I know, I'm still going about studying wrong and this is why I'm feeling like this.

You'll never feel prepared for boards and if you're like 90% of vet students, you'll walk out of boards feeling like an idiot and as though you failed miserably. I never felt I was prepared for either (boards, clinics or practice), but somehow it really all does kind of come together, somehow, I still haven't figured out how.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I felt like things didn't really begin to 'click' and professors didn't really even begin to talk about NAVLE until third year when I was in systems based courses. The first two years laid the foundation and the final two taught you what was going to be clinically important and how that referred back to the first two years info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've determined that I'm only capable of focusing for 30 minute increments, but must take 2-3 days to rest between attempts.

Reactions: 4 users
Guys, the class of 2021 thread is already on pg 12, and we're only on pg 15. We are like the least chatty class ever.
I wait for people to post here, but apparently people are busy with this weird "class" thing

Nu uh I'll call it what it is. Second year beast mode.

There's not too many c/o 2019 that are really active, either!

Guys, the class of 2021 thread is already on pg 12, and we're only on pg 15. We are like the least chatty class ever.
That or we've all been sucked into the black hole that is second year lol. Finals every week, first surgery next week, white coat in 88 days and clinics the week after! I didn't realize I had so much free time last year, I kinda wish I was a first year again ;)

That or we've all been sucked into the black hole that is second year lol. Finals every week, first surgery next week, white coat in 88 days and clinics the week after! I didn't realize I had so much free time last year, I kinda wish I was a first year again ;)
I'd rather perform my own appendectomy then repeat first year! These aren't good excuses though since c/o 2020 is on pg 54 and we are only on pg 15.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather perform my own appendectomy then repeat first year! These aren't good excuses though since c/o 2020 is on pg 54 and we are only on pg 15.
First year belongs in a fiery furnace for sure. I actually didn't mind second year minus the extreme apathy of spring semester. I've never been so thankful for sponge brain in two massive study sessions before exam. haha

Wait, when do you pause to take a gap year? After this one?
The answer is kind of sort of never lol. When everyone enters clinics, I take off 7 months for research. Then 5 months of clinics. Then 7 months of research, then 5 months of clinics, 7 months of research, 5 months of clinics, and ending with 7 months of research. It will certainly be interesting to say the least.

The answer is kind of sort of never lol. When everyone enters clinics, I take off 7 months for research. Then 5 months of clinics. Then 7 months of research, then 5 months of clinics, 7 months of research, 5 months of clinics, and ending with 7 months of research. It will certainly be interesting to say the least.
Oh man. That sounds awful.

we can call you up to the big leagues (and then demote you again when I switch to 2020 class, and demote you again when I switch to 2021 class :p)
I know how badly you want me to be in your class, but I'm not spending an extra year in school for you :D

Oh man that has got to be a mess to plan

Oh man that has got to be a mess to plan
It's actually not bad. If I didn't have the restrictions imposed on me from the T32, I could have done it differently, but T32 is requiring I am done with PhD in 5 years from the start of the program (this technically isn't entirely true, but is true for a few more complicated reasons that I don't feel like getting into). And I am not going to take 4 years off from vet school, so hence the interesting program we set up. There's also requirements during the school year that I need to be there for with regards to PhD to add complications to the mix.

Agreed. I really, really hated first year. You couldn't pay me to go back through anatomy.

Agreed. I really, really hated first year. You couldn't pay me to go back through anatomy.

Yeah definitely joking about being in first year again, despite huge increase in course work and decrease in sleep, I love second year. First year was so boring, but now I feel like I'm actually learning how to become a vet.

Class of 2019's thread is looking a bit sad, so just thought I'd stop by to say I really hate exams at RVC. We have a grand total of 2 exams this year (if you don't count our practical animal handling exam), which take place the first week of May. And they cover everything we've learned since September. This revision is pure hell.

Less than a year until rotations, though! Craziness.

Hope the rest of the 2019ers are doing well!

Class of 2019's thread is looking a bit sad, so just thought I'd stop by to say I really hate exams at RVC. We have a grand total of 2 exams this year (if you don't count our practical animal handling exam), which take place the first week of May. And they cover everything we've learned since September. This revision is pure hell.

I feel like UF is the opposite end of the spectrum lol. We had roughly 36 exams and 20 something quizzes this year. We start clinics in 4 weeks and I don't remember half the stuff we've covered this year so it's going to be interesting :)

That sounds terrifying! don't even remember what classes I took in September!

I counted. In 2nd year at OVC we had 42 assignments, 27 tests, and 12 final exams...

Reactions: 1 users
I counted. In 2nd year at OVC we had 42 assignments, 27 tests, and 12 final exams...

And thank goodness that fresh hell is over, on too summer! It's been just under a week since I picked up a summary and doesn't it feel good. I feel like I've been going since October.

I feel your pain Staffie, year long courses are seriously difficult to study for! My neck hurts from how heavy my brain got over April! Good luck on your finals

I do have a question for all the other 2019's out there. Do you guys still have a problem with people being overly keen at your school?

[QUOTE="BIOMMMM, post: 18885472, member: 686244I do have a question for all the other 2019's out there. Do you guys still have a problem with people being overly keen at your school?[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by "overly keen"? I feel pretty lucky in that I really genuinely like almost everyone in my class and there is no one that I overtly dislike, there are just a few I'm more ambivalent about than others.

I really can't wait for classes to be over for the summer. I also have ZERO desire to work this summer, but I've accepted a job assisting with our research animals this summer, which after visiting the facilities, and hearing from those that currently work there, it should be pretty interesting. I can't believe this is my last summer break ever. At least I'll be going to the Dominican for a week to help with a clinic, and I'm supposed to go diving with a classmate, which should be super fun.

What do you mean by "overly keen"? I feel pretty lucky in that I really genuinely like almost everyone in my class and there is no one that I overtly dislike, there are just a few I'm more ambivalent about than others.

I really can't wait for classes to be over for the summer. I also have ZERO desire to work this summer, but I've accepted a job assisting with our research animals this summer, which after visiting the facilities, and hearing from those that currently work there, it should be pretty interesting. I can't believe this is my last summer break ever. At least I'll be going to the Dominican for a week to help with a clinic, and I'm supposed to go diving with a classmate, which should be super fun.

Guessing they mean gunner

Guessing they mean gunner

Thank you I couldn't remember the term for keener in the US! It's not that I don't love most of my classmates, it's that our class never dropped the competitive pre-vet attitude. It's stressful, and overwhelming at times.

@Jilary I also can't believe it's our last summer break ever! They're going to expect us to be real adults soon and I don't know if I'm ready for that!

I can sorta relate. Illinois has two exams per quarter (midterm and final), but all of our subjects are on each massive exam. Most quarters have between 5-10% of our points from lab related stuff. It really is not ideal, and this is a semi-recent change for our school as well (new within the last 5 years or so).

We also have two cumulative exams: I took the first one just a few weeks ago (spring of second year), and the second is next spring right before clinics. Covers everything we've learned from first year on.

Good luck on your exams!

The other day I spoke with a first year undergrad student who wants to apply to vet school in her third year. It was a weird feeling to know that I'll be a Dr. by the time she starts vet school. Holy halibut, it seems like it was a week ago when we started vet school! :wideyed: The year 2019 is truly becoming less and less of an abstract concept in my mind!

1 week and 3 exams stand between me and the official end of 2nd year. They just opened up our electives for the fall today. I'm actually really excited about some of them, like a whole course on exotics! I can't believe that we will be in clinics just one year from now!

Reactions: 3 users
1 week and 3 exams stand between me and the official end of 2nd year. They just opened up our electives for the fall today. I'm actually really excited about some of them, like a whole course on exotics! I can't believe that we will be in clinics just one year from now!
Our people finished up today and my old class walked the stage. Mixed feels, but happy to get back to business in the fall. In the mean time, gonna have to bust my butt in the lab to actually turn all this data into something paper worthy to get that out of my hair. haha

Our people finished up today and my old class walked the stage. Mixed feels, but happy to get back to business in the fall. In the mean time, gonna have to bust my butt in the lab to actually turn all this data into something paper worthy to get that out of my hair. haha
I'm sad that our PhD students will be leaving us in the fall, but I will be so proud of them when they graduate, as I know they will be proud of us when we graduate too. As far as your data is concerned, I get that too. I procrastinated like hell on my MS research because I wanted to stay connected to the university until I got my vet acceptance. You will do it. I know my research was anti-climactic in a way, but as far as I'm aware, I'm the only person ever to conduct that research, so that's pretty cool.

I have successfully weaned myself off coffee and switched to tea for more steady hands.
coffee2.gif

I hate I am so susceptible to caffeine shakes. On the plus side, I already see my pipetting skills are sharper based on BCA CV numbers. Steady hands means my sx and suture skills will look a bit less psychotic. haha

Reactions: 3 users
Guys, I didn't study anything this weekend, and it was glorious!!
I'm still in the stage of having anxiety because I'm not doing anything. I feel like I should be studying!

Reactions: 1 users
You really need to get over that and start enjoying your last summer off ever in your life.
Lol okay, can't a girl recover take a few days to get out of school mode?

3rd year seems to have so much free time. I am thoroughly enjoying this schedule.

It waxes and wanes. Overall so much better than 2nd year IMO though.

I'm sorry y'all got stuck in the sh*tty plastic fart chairs room again. Stupid big class kicking you out of YOUR auditorium... looking at you @cdoconn...

I'd set fire to something if that happened to our class. I was glad to have the nice chairs and convenient plugins and sleepy dimming lights after the broken butts and fights over plugs in year one and the elbow bumping crowded-ness in year two...

The only consolation (as someone else on FB pointed out) is imagining that one bald phys professor trying desperately to use his old school overhead projector in the auditorium. He's gonna have to bow down to technology after all these years, for his last year of teaching. Haha.