2023-2024 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at William Carey on Monday 11/13 and just heard back that I was put on their alternate list today 11/16

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think it would fill up this early. Spots will be freeing up pretty soon anyways (Dec 14) as more people get A’s at other schools they prefer more

I don’t think it would fill up this early. Spots will be freeing up pretty soon anyways (Dec 14) as more people get A’s at other schools they prefer more
You're right, sorry I should have made that clearer in my reply

Withdrew my app… hoping my interview goes to one of you soon!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I think it filled up some time in October
the class will fill by december but they will continue to interview all the way through june because so many people will drop to attend other schools in april/may. it happens every year. there's always a pretty long waitlist that a good number of people get off! def glance through last years thread.

the class will fill by december but they will continue to interview all the way through june because so many people will drop to attend other schools in april/may. it happens every year. there's always a pretty long waitlist that a good number of people get off! def glance through last years thread.

Yes, I had emailed Dr.Smith and asked about clarification about the alternate list. He said that they no longer tell students their ranking but they’ve been placed on the list because all the spots have been accepted so far

Is this school similar to ARCOM in that a secondary usually equals an II? I submitted my secondary back in September.

Are they not accepting people anymore? just waitlists?

People accepted have until December 14th to put down a seat deposit. Many students are holding acceptances in multiple schools and will finalize their choice by December 14th so they don’t have to pay multiple seat deposits. You should start seeing the waitlist move after December 14.

Edit: fixed the date.

Last edited:
People accepted have until December 15th to put down a seat deposit. Many students are holding acceptances in multiple schools and will finalize their choice by December 15th so they don’t have to pay multiple seat deposits. You should start seeing the waitlist move after December 15.
Small important correction is people have until December 14th. Make sure yall don’t accidentally lose your seat by thinking you had an extra day!

People accepted mid November will have different dates.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just interviewed here and they were so kind and sweet! They said that the school has a lot of people give up spots around the December 14th date, particularly people from med-school heavy states like CA and TX who end up getting in closer to home and want to stay put. The director of admissions said that they will accept a few more than they have spots for, so that when these people drop they are able to take more people. The "alternate" list basically means that you were accepted but there isn't a spot for you yet until those people drop. He stressed that alternate is not the same as waitlisted, and that in their fourteen years of being open everyone on the alternate list who wanted to attend ended up attending. That Dec 14 date is when they are expecting the most "movement". (other schools I've interviewed at have said similar things).

Reactions: 2 users
Just interviewed here and they were so kind and sweet! They said that the school has a lot of people give up spots around the December 14th date, particularly people from med-school heavy states like CA and TX who end up getting in closer to home and want to stay put. The director of admissions said that they will accept a few more than they have spots for, so that when these people drop they are able to take more people. The "alternate" list basically means that you were accepted but there isn't a spot for you yet until those people drop. He stressed that alternate is not the same as waitlisted, and that in their fourteen years of being open everyone on the alternate list who wanted to attend ended up attending. That Dec 14 date is when they are expecting the most "movement". (other schools I've interviewed at have said similar things).
tons of folks will drop around december 14 and then again around april/may! hang in there!

Yes, I had emailed Dr.Smith and asked about clarification about the alternate list. He said that they no longer tell students their ranking but they’ve been placed on the list because all the spots have been accepted so far
yeah that's a good point! Dr. Weir who used to oversee admissions retired in the spring so this will be Dr. Smith's first app cycle, so things may be a tad different!

Reactions: 1 users
Is this school open to low mcats? I made a 494 and I have a 3.72 (about to be 3.75) and I have Stellar ECs.

did y'all send your interviewers a thank you letter/email? the other school I interviewed at specifically told us not to send anything and that it wouldn't be considered, but I wasn't sure the protocol here. Plus the interviewers were so kind I feel like I need to thank them lol

Is this school open to low mcats? I made a 494 and I have a 3.72 (about to be 3.75) and I have Stellar ECs.
They’re selective with secondaries (I believe only send them to 25% of applicants) and I have a sub 500 and got 1. Have yet to get an II, if I get one lol

did y'all send your interviewers a thank you letter/email? the other school I interviewed at specifically told us not to send anything and that it wouldn't be considered, but I wasn't sure the protocol here. Plus the interviewers were so kind I feel like I need to thank them lol
You can definitely email them! It will not help or hurt you, but it’s definitely kind to do so! They are all amazing people and won’t mind at all!:)

• Love
def!! I sent both of mine last cycle when I interviewed here and now that I attend, I've also met them and they remember them!

def!! I sent both of mine last cycle when I interviewed here and now that I attend, I've also met them and they remember them!
thank you for the encouragement, y'all! I just did! My other schools were so anti-sending anything that I was a little scared to but I wanted to compliment them on what a great job they did putting us an ease and making the day a positive experience.

I know I asked this before by WCUCOM is one of my top choices for school currently. I received a secondary in September and completed it the next day. I know they screen heavily for the secondary so I was happy to receive it, but do you guys think I should send in an interest letter for the school? I haven’t received an II, and I do think it’s because I’m low stats (sub 500 MCAT and mediocre GPA). I guess I’m not entirely sure if I stand in the running for an II at this point

I interviewed this week but I didn't have my Casper test done yet. Does anyone know if they will wait for my score and then make a decision?

I interviewed this week but I didn't have my Casper test done yet. Does anyone know if they will wait for my score and then make a decision?
I interviewed this week ( maybe with you lol!) and got the email about the alternate list today from Ms. Cantrel this morning! you could always try reaching out to her or the admissions office, they respond pretty fast :)

I interviewed this week ( maybe with you lol!) and got the email about the alternate list today from Ms. Cantrel this morning! you could always try reaching out to her or the admissions office, they respond pretty fast :)
haha probably, I had mine on Tuesday. Congrats!
I want to contact them but I thought maybe it would come off as a little obnoxious since its so soon, idk

I just saw the link, how accurate do you think these stats are?

haha probably, I had mine on Tuesday. Congrats!
I want to contact them but I thought maybe it would come off as a little obnoxious since its so soon, idk
oh, I was monday! I know Dr. Smith said they start letting people know Thursday, so maybe you could wait til tomorrow and call then? If they're going in order of Monday first they may email Tuesday people later today!

oh, I was monday! I know Dr. Smith said they start letting people know Thursday, so maybe you could wait til tomorrow and call then? If they're going in order of Monday first they may email Tuesday people later today!
ohh, ya that makes sense. Gives me a lil more hope:)

• Care
I know I asked this before by WCUCOM is one of my top choices for school currently. I received a secondary in September and completed it the next day. I know they screen heavily for the secondary so I was happy to receive it, but do you guys think I should send in an interest letter for the school? I haven’t received an II, and I do think it’s because I’m low stats (sub 500 MCAT and mediocre GPA). I guess I’m not entirely sure if I stand in the running for an II at this point
If you got a secondary you have high chance of getting a II at some point in the cycle. Sending a pre-II LOI is usually considered a little premature, but I think in your case as long as its a good letter and not fluff, it could be helpful here!

Anyone know the wait time between interview and decision? seems like theyre pretty quick but some info to help calm the nerves

okay thank you! i also interviewed later half of last week so maybe sometime this week
I interviewed last week and called on Friday last week and they said committee will meet Wednesday(today) and you should get an update letter today or tomorrow

I interviewed last week and called on Friday last week and they said committee will meet Wednesday(today) and you should get an update letter today or tomorrow
that's very helpful! thank you so much! wishing for the best for the both of us!

• Love
that's very helpful! thank you so much! wishing for the best for the both of us!
Just recieved an email for the alternate list! im unsure what this means ngl so i dont want to jump to conclusions. Am i accepted or waitlisted??

Just recieved an email for the alternate list! im unsure what this means ngl so i dont want to jump to conclusions. Am i accepted or waitlisted??
Haha just received the same email! From my understanding of looking at last year's forum, it's basically accepted waiting for a spot to open. It seems like they rank the people off the alternate list, and when seats open (ex, Dec 14 when deposits are due) a good amount of people decline their acceptance since they got accepted at other schools they prefer. From last year's forum, a large chunk of people were accepted from the alternate list.

Haha just received the same email! From my understanding of looking at last year's forum, it's basically accepted waiting for a spot to open. It seems like they rank the people off the alternate list, and when seats open (ex, Dec 14 when deposits are due) a good amount of people decline their acceptance since they got accepted at other schools they prefer. From last year's forum, a large chunk of people were accepted from the alternate list.
okayyy so basically hold off on any celebration or cry sessions until after deadlines loll. congrats on your alternate status as well!!

Last edited:
okayyy so basically hold off on any celebration or cry sessions until after deadlines loll. congrats on your alternate status as well!!
Thank you! You too! Its defiinitely good news cause it couldve been a rejection or put on the deferred list, but personally I don't want to get my hopes up too much cause alternate list doesn't mean accepted yet.