2023-2024 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 WCUCOM Secondary Essay Prompt

Statement of Purpose:
The Mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, and service, including osteopathic clinical service, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals, with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, nation and across the globe.

In the space below (not to exceed 500 words), please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM fulfill this mission. *

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incoming OMS-1 this fall! Please feel free to either DM me with any questions or simply tag me in a reply :)

Reactions: 8 users
just a heads up for future applicants; the website is heavily outdated and the rotation sites are NOT current and ever so changing. Please email the school for an actual list of active sites before you decide to enroll so you know what is available and email them w question for current answers. The FL site was been discontinued for the past 4 years yet they haven't bothered to update the site at all. The NYC site is "scut work" from what current student have told me

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Asking for a current friend of the cycle, any update on secondaries?

Does WCUCOM require Casper this cycle? It is not mentioned anywhere on the website but I know they have been requiring Casper
Also would like to know this answer. I assume that if it's not listed on the website then it is not likely required anymore, but it may be helpful to call the school to confirm that information.

Also would like to know this answer. I assume that if it's not listed on the website then it is not likely required anymore, but it may be helpful to call the school to confirm that information.
It is still listed on the Casper (Acuity Insights) website as one of the schools, under the heading "osteopathic medicine".
I agree it isn't listed on their school page. If you need to complete this test for other schools, you can add WCU as a score recipient later once you confirm whether they want the test this year.

my friend who applied (this last cycle 2023) got an interview invite last week for here- this is truly a LONG cycle gear up yall i aint ready.

just a heads up for future applicants; the website is heavily outdated and the rotation sites are NOT current and ever so changing. Please email the school for an actual list of active sites before you decide to enroll so you know what is available and email them w question for current answers. The FL site was been discontinued for the past 4 years yet they haven't bothered to update the site at all. The NYC site is "scut work" from what current student have told me
FYI this isn't a current student. definitely would recommend reaching out to admin for specific questions about rotations sties etc!

has anyone gotten confirmation of their primary being received? I submitted in May and haven't heard anything

Same here, and nope! Not a word!
ok I thought I was the only one and thought it was weird because this is the only school that has not reached out at all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang this is my last DO school I'm waiting on! Still nothing here. Fingers crossed they start sending them out in waves throughout the day/week!

Secondary prompt:

Statement of Purpose:

The Mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, and service, including osteopathic clinical service, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals, with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, nation and across the globe.

In the space below (not to exceed 500 words), please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM fulfill this mission. *

We (incoming OMS-1’s) start orientation next week but if you got a secondary here congrats! And if you haven’t yet don’t give up just yet, it’ll come! They do only send it to about 25% of applicants so if you get one you have a very good chance for an II at some point in the cycle

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
We (OMS-1’s) start orientation next week but if you got a secondary here congrats! And if you haven’t yet don’t give up just yet, it’ll come! They do only send it to about 25% of applicants so if you get one you have a very good chance for an II at some point in the cycle
Best of luck on your first year! Congratulations on making it through :)

Just submitted my secondary last night and got the complete email this morning, sheesh that was fast

I submitted mine on 6/21 and received the secondary earlier this week

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if they have finished the first round of secondaries. I also submitted it in May but didn't get one; I hope I didn't get screened out...
Exactly what I'm wondering I'm in the same boat! Fingers crossed they'll get to us soon.

Reactions: 2 users
My friend who is accepted there says they’re selective with who gets secondaries

Here is some information about last cycle from our orientation day today:

3336 applicants

730 interviews

205 matriculants

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Saw this on last year's thread. Thinking my MCAT got me screened out of their secondary :confused: Best of luck to everyone else!

"After review of the primary application materials, competitive applicants will be selected to receive a secondary application to obtain additional information desired by the Admissions Committee. Not all applicants will be deemed competitive and receive a secondary application. The secondary application consists of a statement on how accepting the applicant will advance the mission of WCUCOM as well as attesting they can meet the Technical Standards for admission. There is no fee for the secondary application."

"Many studies have shown that science GPA is one of the best indicators of academic success in medical school. This average is calculated from the grades achieved in biological sciences, chemistry, and physics courses. In recent years a 3.5 or higher science GPA has been necessary for a competitive application."

"The scale for grading is 118-132 in each section with a score of 125 generally representing the 50th percentile. Total scores range from 472-528 with 501 being the approximate 50th percentile mark. A score of 504+ is generally required to receive a secondary application and be considered for admission. MCAT scores must be official and dated within three years from the date of application."

Saw this on last year's thread. Thinking my MCAT got me screened out of their secondary :confused: Best of luck to everyone else!

"After review of the primary application materials, competitive applicants will be selected to receive a secondary application to obtain additional information desired by the Admissions Committee. Not all applicants will be deemed competitive and receive a secondary application. The secondary application consists of a statement on how accepting the applicant will advance the mission of WCUCOM as well as attesting they can meet the Technical Standards for admission. There is no fee for the secondary application."

"Many studies have shown that science GPA is one of the best indicators of academic success in medical school. This average is calculated from the grades achieved in biological sciences, chemistry, and physics courses. In recent years a 3.5 or higher science GPA has been necessary for a competitive application."

"The scale for grading is 118-132 in each section with a score of 125 generally representing the 50th percentile. Total scores range from 472-528 with 501 being the approximate 50th percentile mark. A score of 504+ is generally required to receive a secondary application and be considered for admission. MCAT scores must be official and dated within three years from the date of application."
I got a secondary with a lower than 504 and not 125 on every section

I have a 501 and received their secondary

IS Secondary recieved! Sub competitive MCAT :)

OOS / MSc GPA 3.5 / MCAT >504
Primary submitted: 07/07/2023
Secondary received: 08/09/2023

Anyone else still not get a secondary? 🥲 No info whatsoever at this point.

Hi all! I’m a current OMS1 at wcu, here’s my info in case anyone finds it helpful:
Secondary invite: 6/17
Submitted: 7/1
Interview invite: 4/28
WL: 5/26
A: 6/9
500 mcat 3.4 ugpa 3.15 sgpa strong upward trend
No need to stress just yet, enjoy experiencing different schools and message me if you have questions about wcu!! Also this year our class was 25% Mississippi residents and 60% Gulf South residents so I believe local people are their focus rn.

Last edited:
Hi all! I’m a current OMS1 at wcu, here’s my info in case anyone finds it helpful:
Secondary invite: 6/17
Submitted: 7/1
Interview invite: 4/28
WL: 5/26
A: 6/9
500 mcat 3.4 ugpa 3.15 sgpa strong upward trend
No need to stress just yet, enjoy experiencing different schools and message me if you have questions about wcu!!
Almost a year from secondary to A holy moly.

Bored from studying for anatomy so will also drop my timeline:

Secondary: 8/4
II: 3/3
AL: 5/4
A: 5/31