2023-2024 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Ellesandra319
I was inquiring if you had any insight on the curriculum and how does P/F work at WCUCOM
I am not Ellesandra but I am a current OMS-1 here. P/F is if you get a 69.5%+ it is a P, if below it is a F. What curriculum q's do you have?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got accepted to WCUCOM, but during their interview I know they mentioned they don't start systems until MS2, Do any current students think this curriculum held them back from studying for board exams effectively? Is MS1 just focused on pathology, MSK, OMM, Micro/Cell Bio, and anatomy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I have an interview on 10/26 that I am pretty nervous for. Does anyone have some good advice they could share? Thanks!

Incoming OMS-1 this fall! Please feel free to either DM me with any questions or simply tag me in a reply :)
Do you know or are you able to estimate what the post interview acceptance rate is? Thank you.

Hey y’all! Our class historian just created our Class of 2027 insta! Follow us @wcucom2027 on insta! She’ll be posting lots of things to let you guys meet and get to know the current med students as well as what our school and extracurricular lives look like!!

Also a current OMS-1 so if y’all have any questions lmk!

Reactions: 1 user
I am not Ellesandra but I am a current OMS-1 here. P/F is if you get a 69.5%+ it is a P, if below it is a F. What curriculum q's do you have?
How many classes do you have and how often do you have exams?

Can an OMS-1 tell me what the courseload is like and how many classes are mandatory? I’m looking at an hour commute everyday, and I want to see if it’s even doable.

Got the A today. Secondary was marked complete on 9/15/2023. Interviewed 10/20/2023.

Members don't see this ad :)
A! OOS, interviewed 10/19
Does anyone know if they do an open house or a tour?? I know there isn’t a student portal to check but

Got the A today! OOS 503 MCAT, 3.81cGPA, 3.6ish sGPA. Primary 9/29, Complete, 10/7, II 10/13, interviewed 10/24.

Is there an accepted students groupme? I’d be down to join that!:)

Reactions: 1 users
They said I didn’t need Casper until they were doing acceptances. I took it this summer so just added them as soon as I got my II
I’m confused if it’s required haha. I think I was looking at this thread and someone got an II without it and I received the complete email but I called today and they said to take Casper and duet… maybe because im a low stat applicant? Idk. Congrats on the A though!!

Here’s the accepted students groupme!

You're invited to my new group 'WCUCOM Accepted Students' on GroupMe. Click here to join:

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they do an open house or a tour?? I know there isn’t a student portal to check but
you can tour! you'll need to email martha wedgeworth and she can set things up.

they do a tour! I usually am the one who will show y'all the anatomy lab if I can catch you guys ;)

How many classes do you have and how often do you have exams?
First semester you are in 8 different classes! Exams are on Friday during the first year and are kind of spaced every other week in the beginning with some weeks always having a test. After fall break there are tests every single week! By that point you’re used to it, so it’s not a huge shift!

Can an OMS-1 tell me what the courseload is like and how many classes are mandatory? I’m looking at an hour commute everyday, and I want to see if it’s even doable.
I mentioned the courseload in a reply above! As far as mandatory, we have 3 courses and some labs that have mandatory attendance. If the schedule stays relatively the same next year, this puts students having to come to campus at some point 4-5 days a week depending on which anatomy group you’re assigned to. This includes testing days as well, which you of course have to attend. We have current students that drive up to an hour and a half every day and several driving 45 min everyday. It’s definitely doable as it is being done, but you just have to decide if it’s feasible for you for the long haul!

Any current students know the remediation rate %? I saw the attrition rate is pretty high at 10%, and that concerned me. I was inquiring why the numbers are that high and how the school tries to help people pass 1st year.

Any current students know the remediation rate %? I saw the attrition rate is pretty high at 10%, and that concerned me. I was inquiring why the numbers are that high and how the school tries to help people pass 1st year.
wherever you're getting your info from is inaccurate

Hey! Late update..sorry I was off sdn studying for exams. But received an A last week!!! So excited about it! Everyone was super nice there! All the students were super helpful and enjoyed my experience interviewing and meeting everyone there.

Hi everyone, I have an interview in a few days but I honest to god have no clue on how it will go. My mcat was super low so i checked a few times to make sure I was reading the email correctly lol. I would love to hear advice on how other peoples interviews were, what questions were asked, what happened about the casper and duet exams (not yet taken), how long it took to hear back etc

wherever you're getting your info from is inaccurate
it was from a sdn thread in 2019, Im open to any statistics about attrition rate currentl and remediation %. I just cant find much info about the school.

it was from a sdn thread in 2019, Im open to any statistics about attrition rate currentl and remediation %. I just cant find much info about the school.
Ours is pretty much the average, ~7% is what we were told during orientation, but we have remediation and retesting policies in place

Just reviewed the schedule. It seems like Tuesday there's minimal classes, but MWThu there's class from 8-3 3pm with lunch break. Is this correct?

Just reviewed the schedule. It seems like Tuesday there's minimal classes, but MWThu there's class from 8-3 3pm with lunch break. Is this correct?
Yeah so Tuesday is lab day so you get assigned to two different 2 hour blocks where you have OPP and CPC lab and besides that you’re free to study or do whatever your please! Monday is the longest day usually with it being 8-5 of classes but not all of those classes are mandatory so depends on what you prefer learning wise. The rest of the days aren’t bad at all and there’s plenty of time to study when you need it if you use your time wisely imo!

Just got accepted to WCUCOM, but during their interview I know they mentioned they don't start systems until MS2, Do any current students think this curriculum held them back from studying for board exams effectively? Is MS1 just focused on pathology, MSK, OMM, Micro/Cell Bio, and anatomy?
Hey! OMS2 here. as always subject to change, but OMS1 is definitely more "class based," as in you take Anatomy, Biochem, Physio, Histo, Genetics, OPP, CPC, public health, immunology, and a quick intro to path course during first year. While its not "systems" based per se, you'll find the classes tend to line up loosely with whatever block anatomy is in. Classes like anatomy, genetics, etc. tend to be less boards relevant regardless of the school you attend, and most wise council would say regardless of how your schools curriculum is structured, you really aren't going to be studying for boards until second year.

A lot of us did some light sketchy/B&B over the summer, and then as we've done systems based in OMS2 its SUPER easy imo to study for boards and classes at the same time. Obviously there are exceptions but Micro, Path, CPC (Disease/Diagnosis), Pharm are super boards relevant and pretty easy to supplement course material with outside resources.

I've made it through about 80% of sketchy and about 50% of Combank / 50% of pathoma rn so i'm feeling good about my prep. I'm personally planning to do double boards so i'm working my way through Uworld as I can.

Other thing I'll saw with respect to boards is our OPP exams are pretty much straight boards questions from the beginning of first year, so our school consistently excels far above other DO schools in the OMM section of Comlex. So whether your planning to do step 1 or not, you gotta take comlex, and that's nice to not have to worry about as much at this point.

@Ellesandra319
I was inquiring if you had any insight on the curriculum and how does P/F work at WCUCOM
Hey! others have answered, but yeah more class based in OMS1 and systems based in OMS2. First year biochem and physio is super boards relevant and all of OMS2 is like straight boards content pretty much with some small exceptions. >69.5 = P, < 69.5 = F. They are pretty generous with remediation options if you do fail a course though, and there's lots of support that will catch you before you outright fail a course. IMO the people that fail courses either 1) had major illnesses, family circumstances beyond their control or 2) didn't listen to advisors/tutors/admin when they were told to. but that's just me!

This is an appeal to applicants who had to take Casper for admission to William Carey University.

Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.

HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.

Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.

Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.

Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.

Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!

Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!

Interviewed 11/3 OOS... honestly feel like I botched it and will get WL but you never know 😅

Received an interview invite today, OOS but attended grad school in MS.

Interviewed 11/3 OOS... honestly feel like I botched it and will get WL but you never know 😅
Yeah I got the R today via email. Good luck to everyone!

• Care
Hi everyone, I have an interview in a few days but I honest to god have no clue on how it will go. My mcat was super low so i checked a few times to make sure I was reading the email correctly lol. I would love to hear advice on how other peoples interviews were, what questions were asked, what happened about the casper and duet exams (not yet taken), how long it took to hear back etc
What was ur MCAT?

This might be a dumb question but for anyone who received an A, is paying the deposit and filling out the registration form they sent out 100% binding? I will most likely be accepting my offer at WCUCOM but just in case I get another offer in the spring that fits my interests more, I want to make sure. I know the deposit will be nonrefundable but I'm wondering about the registration form?