2022-2023 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do you know if they send any early jan?
I don't know sorry :( last year, they stopped sending out invites Dec 1st, but there could be more invite dates this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. The rank list for TMDSAS is due February 18th right? For some reason the McGovern website says January 18th & I'm wondering if this is an error or if I missed something?

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 364131Hey guys. The rank list for TMDSAS is due February 18th right? For some reason the McGovern website says January 18th & I'm wondering if this is an error or if I missed something?
The deadline for entering your rank list this year is February 17, 2023 before 5 pm Central
I edited your post to take out erroneous dates.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
When someone googles, they are seeing the UTH wrong date first in the list. There was another date from TXEHES site. Only TMDSAS should be VALID and no other site.

February 17Submission deadline for RANKING of SCHOOL PREFERENCE for the TMDSAS admissions match; must be entered online by 5 p.m. CST

Reactions: 1 users
Is that enough for a LOI?
greys-anatomy-pick-me.gif

Reactions: 6 users

Texas Medical Center
Texas Medical Center19,370 followers
18h • 18 hours ago

Follow
Exciting times at TMC Helix Park! This project will be 37 acres, 5 million sqft, and create a 5.4 billion dollar economic impact. It's amazing to see the progress that we've made on our new life-science campus.

We’re so excited to watch TMC Helix Park continue to grow – right here in the heart of #Houston #Texas.

#helixpark #newconstruction #houston #tmc #texasmedicalcenter #tmchelixpark #construction #architects

Vaughn Construction Elkus Manfredi Architects Beacon Capital Partners Transwestern mikyoung kim design
…see more
No alternative text description for this image

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I interview here soon, any tips or words of wisdom?
In general, remain calm and don't compare yourself to others. As @wysdoc says, "Comparison is the thief of joy."
It's always good to brush up on the school's mission and values. If the school has a bullet list of values, they typically have their definitions for the values. For instance, "Integrity: having the ability to do what is right, even if it is difficult to do."
Find two different stories for each value and use them as examples when speaking to your interviewer. They may ask, "Have you ever had a difficult patient encounter?" Maybe an example of yours was difficult and you had to have had integrity. Thus, you can say your example. However, don't explicitly say, "I have integrity because this one time I..." Let the story speak for you.

Of course, always have a "Why this school" prepared, but make it sound conversational when rehearsing. "Well, I like this school because of... and that makes me happy because..."
Smile when speaking and always pause for a bit before answering, even if you have a pre-planned answer (makes it seem genuine). If you can't relate to a question, you can always use examples that happened to your co-workers or doctors you worked with. "I haven't experienced someone being rude to me. However, a charge nurse was very rude to a patient and Dr. Thiccy. Dr. Thiccy responded by... and the charge nurse apologized. To answer your question, I would also do... because it's not rude and allows the other person to..."

Always have at least two questions prepared for your interviewer. Maybe ask them what they like or dislike about the school, or what they think the school can improve on.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
And don't be afraid to crack a joke or two: it makes you seem more relaxed and less stiff. Plus, it makes your interviewer happier.
this is honestly amazing advice, made a joke about Roblox during a different interview and it was all uphill from there

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Interviewer: So tell me, why McGovern?
Me: lemme stop you right there. A horse walks into a bar…

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
  • Haha
@MCAThiccy You have become too slick. I missed this whole Dr. XXXXXX story completely.

and Dr. Thiccy. Dr. Thiccy responded by

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if there is another prematch wave in January? Will January interviewees have a chance to be in that wave?

Do all interviewees get sent the second-look campus tours? Should I be dressed professionally?

Canceled my second look reservation (Jan 20) today after unexpectedly getting an II from another school for that same day. Letting y'all know because there's an open slot on the sign-up genius now for whoever wants it (previously totally booked). On an unrelated note, if anyone wants to give me an unofficial tour sometime please message me lol

Canceled my second look reservation (Jan 20) today after unexpectedly getting an II from another school for that same day. Letting y'all know because there's an open slot on the sign-up genius now for whoever wants it (previously totally booked). On an unrelated note, if anyone wants to give me an unofficial tour sometime please message me lol
I have a reservation for the 13th that I’m willing to swap with you (assuming the 20th is still available and the 13th works for you)

I have a reservation for the 13th that I’m willing to swap with you (assuming the 20th is still available and the 13th works for you)
I’m booked at Long’s tour this Friday unfortunately. Appreciate it though!

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but does anybody know if McGovern is done sending II?

Odds of any more pre matches?

Based on last year, the final wave of prematches went out in December, so probably pretty low.

Additionally, McGovern doesn’t do very many prematches in the first place, so yeah pretty low chance. Trying to hang on until match day.

Does McGovern give out any scholarships before the match for people that prematched? Or does that all happen after match day?

Does McGovern give out any scholarships before the match for people that prematched? Or does that all happen after match day?
I went to the tour this past Friday and they said they would send out scholarship info after match day!

How do you plan on ranking?

I have not heard too many people talking about UTH giving out money to attract stucents.

How do you plan on ranking?

I have not heard too many people talking about UTH giving out money to attract stucents.
Hmmm yeah I haven't seen anything about them giving out scholarships yet either

I'm still figuring things out for rankings but knowing about scholarships would help with that

Hmmm yeah I haven't seen anything about them giving out scholarships yet either

I'm still figuring things out for rankings but knowing about scholarships would help with that
The simple thing about TMDSAS schools: The tuition costs are very close to each other. Cost of rent will be more variable. A scholarship would be a pleasant surprise, but most schools will work on financial aid matters only after the match for those who plan to matriculate.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but it would be wasteful for financial aid office staff to spend hours working on a financial aid report for someone who does not end up attending their school.

Reactions: 4 users
The simple thing about TMDSAS schools: The tuition costs are very close to each other. Cost of rent will be more variable. A scholarship would be a pleasant surprise, but most schools will work on financial aid matters only after the match for those who plan to matriculate.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but it would be wasteful for financial aid office staff to spend hours working on a financial aid report for someone who does not end up attending their school.
The schools that want to attract specific students hand them out with admissions or quickly there after. They want to treat to everyone else equally and wait for commitments first if they are not targeting specific students to enroll.

I just have not seen UTH give any scholarships to ensure they rank them number 1. Anything given out by UTSW, Baylor, Dell so far falls under commit to our school enticement.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally understand that. I just know some other Texas schools are already handing out recruitment scholarships & I hadn't heard of UTH doing it yet. I was wondering if they gave those out prior to rankings being due or if they did all scholarships after the match, but it's sounding like they do it all after the match

Just wondering how the TMDSAS rolling admission process and the match works. Are people who interview late disadvantaged against those who interviewed earlier when it comes to the match? I interviewed on 1/11 🙃

Just wondering how the TMDSAS rolling admission process and the match works. Are people who interview late disadvantaged against those who interviewed earlier when it comes to the match? I interviewed on 1/11 🙃
You have an equal chance in the match to others with no prematches. Interview date does not play into it as such, although the schools might have called those they "thought" they preferred for earlier interviews. You can always improve your chances by a positive interview day!

Reactions: 6 users