2022-2023 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for posting. It is surprising no one else received them yet (or not posted) since these are usually done in bulk.

Wondering if they did something similar to UTMB where they sent out pre II Rs since most of the interview season is getting over and they only have a few slots left or if they will send to everyone.
so I got the first R of the season??? YAYYYY. its also my first R this app cycle. Its very likely others have gotten them too but have yet to post about them or will not post about them cuz of selection bias.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Messed up question: with the recent activity on McGovern’s part, do y’all think they’re planning on releasing the next batch of Pre-Matches?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Messed up question: with the recent activity on McGovern’s part, do y’all think they’re planning on releasing the next batch of Pre-Matches?
Pre-II rejections could signal that they have enough of an applicant pool to fill their class satisfactorily. I think next Friday is go-time, though I'm just guessing based on last year's activity.

• Hmm
McGovern hit me with an additional preview dates email, sent about 15 minutes ago. I was prepared to run out of the house barefoot, yelling like I hit that game-winning shot in Hoosiers.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
McGovern hit me with an additional preview dates email, sent about 15 minutes ago. I was prepared to run out of the house barefoot, yelling like I hit that game-winning shot in Hoosiers.
LOL same, I was running with my dog and stopped mid stride when I saw the McGovern email pop up.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
LOL same, I was running with my dog and stopped mid stride when I saw the McGovern email pop up.
I bet your pace would have increased like crazy for the remainder of the run, had it been an acceptance! :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
McGovern playing with my heart with this second look tour email!!!!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
You said exactly what I was thinking. I also got an email from texas a&m today and I was like !!! and it was basically DO YOU WANT TO BUY A BRICK FOR OUR PATIO. I don't. Stop playing with my emotions :cryi:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Pre-II rejections could signal that they have enough of an applicant pool to fill their class satisfactorily. I think next Friday is go-time, though I'm just guessing based on last year's activity.
If you think about the process here is what happens at most schools.

They start reviewing apps.
Start calling people for interviews as and when reviewers send in an approval.
The reviewers will rank them and based on the rank some may go into rereview/hold file.
They also have a list of people they dont plan to interview for whatever reason along the way.
As the season progresses, they can start interviewing some of the rereview/hold candidates.
They can release the donot plan to interview candidates anytime since a decision has been made.

It is December and they are winding down. They still have 5000 people they have not released or given interviews.
They can start holding 100-200 as standby for remaining interviews and release the rest or start releasing a few at a time. Most schools release everyone at once in Texas at the end of interview season but UTMB seems to have changed it to release a few and it looks like McGovern is testing waters with same.

I would say class filled is not the threshold here since they will be releasing 75-80% or more applicants.
They can only interview 800-1000 at most and receive 6000-8000 apps.

Underrated opinion (not really an opinion tho): I’m so numb to emails that I didn’t even bat an eye when I saw mcgovern emailed me. Just went about reading it and I was like oh nice it’s the second look email… had not even gotten my hopes up at all lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
Underrated opinion (not really an opinion tho): I’m so numb to emails that I didn’t even bat an eye when I saw mcgovern emailed me. Just went about reading it and I was like oh nice it’s the second look email… had not even gotten my hopes up at all lmao
I’m with you. Whenever I see an email from a school I don’t really think anything of it. As a reapplicant I’m also numb to them lol

If you think about the process here is what happens at most schools.

They start reviewing apps.
Start calling people for interviews as and when reviewers send in an approval.
The reviewers will rank them and based on the rank some may go into rereview/hold file.
They also have a list of people they dont plan to interview for whatever reason along the way.
As the season progresses, they can start interviewing some of the rereview/hold candidates.
They can release the donot plan to interview candidates anytime since a decision has been made.

It is December and they are winding down. They still have 5000 people they have not released or given interviews.
They can start holding 100-200 as standby for remaining interviews and release the rest or start releasing a few at a time. Most schools release everyone at once in Texas at the end of interview season but UTMB seems to have changed it to release a few and it looks like McGovern is testing waters with same.

I would say class filled is not the threshold here since they will be releasing 75-80% or more applicants.
They can only interview 800-1000 at most and receive 6000-8000 apps.
Do they accept update letter, in case you have significant updates?

Just wondering if you did not hold a paid clinical position or clinical like EMT, scribe or CNA but have mostly clinical volunteering. How is it viewed?

Just wondering if you did not hold a paid clinical position or clinical like EMT, scribe or CNA but have mostly clinical volunteering. How is it viewed?
what did you do for clinical volunteering? volunteer MA is much different than getting patients water and helping them navigate hallways

In my opinion clinical volunteering and paid clinical can be viewed equally. One thing I will note is the benefit of clinical volunteering is you can work a better paying job at the same time or you can bolster your ECs in other ways. I am currently working full time in paid clinical, and it is hard to do anything else

what did you do for clinical volunteering? volunteer MA is much different than getting patients water and helping them navigate hallways
there are many options - you can provide companionship to different patient populations (AD, Oncology and more). Its not just navigating hallways. Do you get opportunity to build relationship as like in MA as you mentioned?

there are many options - you can provide companionship to different patient populations (AD, Oncology and more). Its not just navigating hallways. Do you get opportunity to build relationship as like in MA as you mentioned?
no i totally agree! lots of impactful options. i was just throwing out quick thoughts as a comparison to help decipher what it was.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am an oos applicant and was wondering if we would usually hear about a decision pre-match or if most of us also hear around match day as well?

Hey guys, I am an oos applicant and was wondering if we would usually hear about a decision pre-match or if most of us also hear around match day as well?
OOS students are not part of the match. They should hear throughout and since there is a capped number of 23 or so, they dont admit anyone unless someone withdraws.

OOS students are not part of the match. They should hear throughout and since there is a capped number of 23 or so, they dont admit anyone unless someone withdraws.
So we could hear potentially like tomorrow or Friday, or whenever the committee meets about other pre-matchs?

So we could hear potentially like tomorrow or Friday, or whenever the committee meets about other pre-matchs?
The committee discusses people they have interviewed, in state or out of state.
Most of them get held to a later date and a few get offers.

The committee discusses people they have interviewed, in state or out of state.
Most of them get held to a later date and a few get offers.
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks! Was just curious if I could (potentially) hear within the next couple of days or so, as in-state applicants may.

There has been at least one OOS person admitted this cycle since they posted back in October.

That does not mean everyone else hears back right away but the expectation is everytime UTH announces some admissions, some OOS students get admitted too. They wont fill all 23 seats until they finish interviewing everyone.

There has been at least one OOS person admitted this cycle since they posted back in October.

That does not mean everyone else hears back right away but the expectation is everytime UTH announces some admissions, some OOS students get admitted too. They wont fill all 23 seats until they finish interviewing everyone.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Prematch offer received 5 minutes ago! Interviewed on 9/16

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Do you think they sent them all out at once :( Congrats to those who got in!!
Yeah but I’m happy to see that an early interviewer got a prematch because I thought it was cohort matching so maybe I still have a chance

Yeah but I’m happy to see that an early interviewer got a prematch because I thought it was cohort matching so maybe I still have a chance
Yeah you do think they sent them all out in one batch? If I knew that I could at least move on with my life lol

• Hmm
Yeah you do think they sent them all out in one batch? If I knew that I could at least move on with my life lol
The last wave seemed to be received around the same time, per SDN reports. No telling when you consider folks not on SDN who prematched. I am assuming that they send them at the same time, and if I happen to get one later today, it'll just be a nice surprise. McGovern isn't a prematch-heavy school, so there isn't much one can read into not receiving a prematch except that you weren't in their top 25% or so, based on historical prematch vs class size data.

I’m not sure, but they will likely send them out over the course of a few hours. At least that’s what I’ve seen with other programs

Pre-matched at 9AM!! Interviewed on 10/07!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Me to my email waiting for a pre-match:
1671122750004.png

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users