2022-2023 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone from 12/7 interview pre match? Just want to know if I still have a chance at pre-matching!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there usually another round of pre-match offers sent out sometime?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there usually another round of pre-match offers sent out sometime?

Last year, this wave of prematch offers (mid-December) was the last wave that was indicated on SDN.

Congrats to all who prematched today!

Based on data from past years, was this likely the last wave of prematch offers from any TX school? If so, time to gear up for March 4th it’s gonna be a wild ride. Good luck everybody!

Congrats to all who prematched today!

Based on data from past years, was this likely the last wave of prematch offers from any TX school? If so, time to gear up for March 4th it’s gonna be a wild ride. Good luck everybody!
No, they can offer prematches until the end of January!

Reactions: 3 users
It makes me feel somewhat better that you're waiting too bc you are an amazingly strong applicant! I'm so in my feelings with the wait lol I just wanted it to be over. I don't think any more are coming out today :(
I hope you know that you're an amazing applicants yourself. Great stats and awesome ECs. I wouldn't worry to much about it. As McGovern has told everyone, they are not prematch heavy. Furthermore, not everyone who prematches will ultimately match to mcgovern. This process absolutely sucks but it's just a waiting game.

• Love
I hope you know that you're an amazing applicants yourself. Great stats and awesome ECs. I wouldn't worry to much about it. As McGovern has told everyone, they are not prematch heavy. Furthermore, not everyone who prematches will ultimately match to mcgovern. This process absolutely sucks but it's just a waiting game.
Thanks, I appreciate that! It's just such a long slog and I know we are all in it together! I cannot imagine having been premed all throughout college. I don't know how some of yall do it... the uncertainty is painful.

Question about prematch vs acceptance:

No where on the email I got from McGovern or on the portal does it say prematch. It says acceptance for everything. I am a Texas resident (went OOS for undergrad tho), so I still assumed it was a prematch offer. Is this correct? Or did I receive an acceptance instead of a prematch. Just a bit confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about prematch vs acceptance:

No where on the email I got from McGovern or on the portal does it say prematch. It says acceptance for everything. I am a Texas resident (went OOS for undergrad tho), so I still assumed it was a prematch offer. Is this correct? Or did I receive an acceptance instead of a prematch. Just a bit confused.
@Olajide Burner and @curvedstand
This is a true offer of admission to McGovern.
It's called "pre-match" because the acceptance was revealed to you before Match Day (March 3, 2023).
TMDSAS Match is for in-state students.
You still have to log in to your TMDSAS portal and rank all the schools where you interviewed.
You will not "lose" your admission seat at McGovern if you decide to rank another school higher, and if it turns out that school doesn't rank you highly enough to match.

Take a good look at this video before mid February to see what to do and how it works.
Instructions are also found on the TMDSAS Guide under the category "After Submitting".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Olajide Burner and @curvedstand
This is a true offer of admission to McGovern.
It's called "pre-match" because the acceptance was revealed to you before Match Day (March 3, 2023).
TMDSAS Match is for in-state students.
You still have to log in to your TMDSAS portal and rank all the schools where you interviewed.
You will not "lose" your admission seat at McGovern if you decide to rank another school higher, and if it turns out that school doesn't rank you highly enough to match.

Take a good look at this video before mid February to see what to do and how it works.
Instructions are also found on the TMDSAS Guide under the category "After Submitting".

Just to confirm, a prematch is a true offer of admission, is that correct? You’re guaranteed to match there (if ranked 1) and schools don’t “take back” prematches?

Just to confirm, a prematch is a true offer of admission, is that correct? You’re guaranteed to match there (if ranked 1) and schools don’t “take back” prematches?
That's correct, @ese2
If you rank a school where you have a prematch offer as your #1, that's where you will be going.

Any prematches from 12/02? I was wondering how long i should wait post-interview before I send a LOI?

If you are sure it's your #1 choice, send it in now before Match.
I know that McGovern accepts updates/letters but is there any previous insight as to whether or not the value letters of intent?

A parent of an accepted McGovern student felt it helped #240
How do you find or remember so many posts like this to where you are able to help everybody😭
Seriously, thank you for being so willing to help us all!

How do you find or remember so many posts like this to where you are able to help everybody😭
Seriously, thank you for being so willing to help us all!
The parent quoted would be me! Yes, I do believe it can make a difference. As I understand it the adcom reviews the whole application file when a LOI is received after interviewing and this can result in a change of the numerical rank of the candidate.

The parent quoted would be me! Yes, I do believe it can make a difference. As I understand it the adcom reviews the whole application file when a LOI is received after interviewing and this can result in a change of the numerical rank of the candidate.
The key is sending the letter of intent before they rank you (usually the week after they interview you). Otherwise, it might not do anything. I am not sure about whether ranking can change if they have already submitted their rankings to TMDSAS. The only schools I might see this happenign with is those who have strong mission-matching interests (UT Tyler, UofH, possibly UTRGV). But as always, take this with a grain of salt ... the process is multifaceted and there could be multiple truths, depending the school!

Rankings can change at will. UTRGV said they bump up applicants who send in a LOI.

Reactions: 1 users
Rankings can change at will. UTRGV said they bump up applicants who send in a LOI.
The schools know your choices for ranking since they are aware of where you interviewed.

They have admitted the people they want to admit during prematch. They can lose many of them during the match.
They have a few hundred left over candidates they need to do final ranking for the match. They know who they want but they also need to know who is interested in them.

UTH is very serious about interest - Love me above every other school is their mantra. How do you see them doing their list when this is their motto when someone who interviewed at Long, UTMB etc sends them a letter saying I want to come?

The schools know your choices for ranking since they are aware of where you interviewed.

They have admitted the people they want to admit during prematch. They can lose many of them during the match.
They have a few hundred left over candidates they need to do final ranking for the match. They know who they want but they also need to know who is interested in them.

UTH is very serious about interest - Love me above every other school is their mantra. How do you see them doing their list when this is their motto when someone who interviewed at Long, UTMB etc sends them a letter saying I want to come?
are you saying "they" as in UTRGV or UTH

There are different reasons for writing LOIs and whether they are effective.

Someone is admitted to Long or UTMB and write a letter to UTH saying they would rather come there, they have some leverage.
Someone admitted to Baylor/UTSW writes to UTH that they are the first choice, they have more leverage. However, if they dont match, the school can notify the other school stating the student lied in their LOI.

If some interviewed at 4-5 schools but has no admission and submits 5 separate letters, not sure how much leverage they would have during the match.

LOIs when they have some leverage can work but with no leverage it is anybody's guess.

So I’ve been seeing conflicting opinions about letters of intent.

When is the best time to send them? Before or after the match? It’s been said that the TMDSAS ranking system is effectively your “intent”. But it looks like people here are saying send them right away?

Also, does a letter of intent even mean anything if you have no acceptances at this point?

When is the best time to send them? Before or after the match? It’s been said that the TMDSAS ranking system is effectively your “intent”. But it looks like people here are saying send them right away?

Also, does a letter of intent even mean anything if you have no acceptances at this point?
yes, I would very much like to know this as well

You can send letter of interests anytime but intent should be before the matchlists are due from the school. So this should preferably be before the last round of expected prematches from the school.

If you attended multiple interviews but do not have prematches, you are submitting a letter of intent to one school and letter of interest to others.

Your letter of intent will say, "I have been fortunate to attend interviews at A, B, C, D, Etc. Among all these schools I liked you, C, best for the following reasons.

I plan to rank you number 1 during match. I hope you rank me high enough so I will match to your school.

All the other schools you say I have attended interviews at these schools so far and I like your school for the following reasons.

Please admit..

I would also suggest adding some updates in terms of what you have been upto since your original application was filed. Any new information given during your interviews wont make it to the file and you have filed your app back in May or June and you had 6 months to improve yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks @texasvandy, so sending a letter around now/January would be ideal as you're final ranking hasn't been made (I'm assuming). Also didn't think about sending letters of interest to my other schools, but that would make sense so they know I'm still thinking of them lol

Specifically for McGovern - the school does not accept updates or LOI’s after the match. They rank candidates in numerical order for the match and the order of numbers cannot be changed after Match Day. They do not look at waitlist candidates’ whole file individually/holistically to pull them off of the waitlist, they simply take them in numerical order. For the possibility that you may not match anywhere, are waitlisted at McGovern and it’s your #1 choice, then a LOI or any updates should be sent well before Match Day.

Specifically for McGovern - the school does not accept updates or LOI’s after the match. They rank candidates in numerical order for the match and the order of numbers cannot be changed after Match Day. They do not look at waitlist candidates’ whole file individually/holistically to pull them off of the waitlist, they simply take them in numerical order. For the possibility that you may not match anywhere, are waitlisted at McGovern and it’s your #1 choice, then a LOI or any updates should be sent well before Match Day.
That makes sense as the final rankings probably can't change! I appreciate the help!

If I am writing an LOI for McGovern, who should I send that to? I cannot find the dean of admissions anywhere, rather I only see the vice dean and the director of admissions.

If I am writing an LOI for McGovern, who should I send that to? I cannot find the dean of admissions anywhere, rather I only see the vice dean and the director of admissions.
Just upload it to the portal lol

I was told to upload all updates/letters to the portal when I called

Also curious about possibility for II. I didn’t get the R so crossing my fingers I’m in that mystical hold pile for them to revisit!

Reactions: 8 users