2022-2023 University of South Florida (Morsani)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive an II for SELECT that did not apply? I only chose Core on my secondary and didn't fill out the additional essay but my interview is for SELECT. I already accepted the interview before I noticed (oops). I emailed the school hoping to switch to a Core interview. Did this happen to anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone receive an II for SELECT that did not apply? I only chose Core on my secondary and didn't fill out the additional essay but my interview is for SELECT. I already accepted the interview before I noticed (oops). I emailed the school hoping to switch to a Core interview. Did this happen to anyone else?
This happened to me as well. Not sure why

Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing happened to me. I emailed them. Could just be a bug in their automated email system. Also never got a confirmation email after I chose an interview date.

That's if you are a student at USF, which I don't believe we ever had to sign up with the undergraduate campus.
I am CA resident and OOS for Florida. Today when I was checking the portal, I realized that in the residency form, I have skipped filling out the details like name, DOB....I have only signed and dated in the top portion of the form, during my secondary application submission last month. I am very worried and freaking out that if they have considered my application as incomplete. Should I call the school or email the corrected form? Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Is select more competitive than core ? They moved me into select bc they said I make a good match…

Is select more competitive than core ? They moved me into select bc they said I make a good match…
I got a similar email after following up - they gave me a SELECT interview even though I only applied for CORE. It looks like SELECT has ~50 students admitted annually and per MSAR 177 are admitted annually into the school overall.

Can somebody more familiar with the SELECT/CORE differences please comment? How much extra work is SELECT besides the part where you move to PA for the second half of medical school? MD SELECT Program | USF Health

thanks! it would be helpful to know more info about your interview process
I interviewed early in the cycle, had two 1:1 interviews in a row. Both were very conversational and relaxed. Have heard similar things from other students

Core is almost entirely in-state students and Select is almost entirely OOS. If you are OOS you are unlikely to get a Core interview (it happens, but is rare). If you are OOS I would just take the Select interview rather than holding out hope for a Core interview.

Everyone in Select pays OOS tuition, even if you were a FL resident. In Core there are different tuitions for IS and OOS, and I think IS is ~20k/yr cheaper. Select does M3 and M4 up in Allentown, PA. There is no significant difference in workload between the two programs.

The school might claim something ambiguous about you being a better fit for one program or the other blah blah blah. But med school is med school. Every school/program tries to claim they are unique in some way but that's silly.

For reference, I'm an M3 in Select and I'm overall happy with the program and my experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Core is almost entirely in-state students and Select is almost entirely OOS. If you are OOS you are unlikely to get a Core interview (it happens, but is rare). If you are OOS I would just take the Select interview rather than holding out hope for a Core interview.

Everyone in Select pays OOS tuition, even if you were a FL resident. In Core there are different tuitions for IS and OOS, and I think IS is ~20k/yr cheaper. Select does M3 and M4 up in Allentown, PA. There is no significant difference in workload between the two programs.

The school might claim something ambiguous about you being a better fit for one program or the other blah blah blah. But med school is med school. Every school/program tries to claim they are unique in some way but that's silly.

For reference, I'm an M3 in Select and I'm overall happy with the program and my experience.
I would say that since my year (Class of 2025) this has changed. They admit a lot of OOS CORE students nowadays. Not sure if they're ramping up IS SELECT as well...

I would say that since my year (Class of 2025) this has changed. They admit a lot of OOS CORE students nowadays. Not sure if they're ramping up IS SELECT as well...
Interesting and good to know

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an II today for MD Core Program, OOS, submitted 7/23

Hey guys, when I clicked on the link to complete the secondary and logged into the applicant gateway, all I saw was the residency form. I submitted that but was never given the secondary questions I expected to get. I tried emailing admissions asking them if they needed me to complete and submit the residency form so they can verify it first before allowing me to complete the secondary application, but I haven't gotten a response yet. Is there something wrong with my link or is this normal?

Hey. I sent my LORs but never received a complete email. What now?

Hey all I have some questions about responding to the II. When you all responded to the II invite email, how long did it take them to respond? Also, did you respond directly to the email or re-type the email address from the sender’s signature?

Hey all I have some questions about responding to the II. When you all responded to the II invite email, how long did it take them to respond? Also, did you respond directly to the email or re-type the email address from the sender’s signature?
I replied directly back to that email and they responded in under 24 hours.

I responded the day after and it took about a week for them to send me my link to schedule!

Just got an II right now. It mentions on the portal there will be two 1 hour interview slots, I assume this is because I got an II for Regular MD program as well as Select but not completely sure.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just got an II right now. It mentions on the portal there will be two 1 hour interview slots, I assume this is because I got an II for Regular MD program as well as Select but not completely sure.
Congrats! When were you complete?

Congrats! When were you complete?
Thanks, USF is probably my top choice school so I'm really excited! I submitted on 7/22 and uploaded the residency form at the time, but sometime in August I checked back on the portal and I didn't actually *submit* the residency form so I'm not sure if my application would have been considered complete for review on 7/22 or in August. Sorry I can't clarify the exact timeline!

It would not be interviews for both programs. It's very rare that someone is interviewed for both, and it wouldn't be back-to-back like that. The two programs just use separate processes.

For Select we do two 1-hour interviews. Usually one is with a faculty member and one is with a current student, but that varies based on availability. I'm less familiar with the process that the Core program uses, but it sounds like you are interviewing for Select. Good luck!

My first II today at 8:31 AM!!! IS, complete 7/21 for the CORE program. Fairly average stats with an LM of 66. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Got my first II this morning! IS, CORE, complete 7/5. Dates were for mid-October.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
A lot of (if not all) early decision applicants got the call today!

When do decisions come out for regular apps

When do decisions come out for regular apps
Decisions should start coming out mid-October like most other medical schools. May or may not be delayed by Hurricane Ian since it shut down USF/Tampa activities for the week.

II today for Core! OOS, LM 80.6, complete 7/3

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how USF uses their interviews? Do the interviewers just pass on a score based on some specific traits or do they relay the things you say to them specifically to the admission committee?

just got select II

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know any info about the Select interviews and if they are virtual or in person? I just received an II and scheduled the interview, but I don't know if I need to get a flight and get someone to cover my work the day before yet lol. When I looked it up their website said they do both, but there wasn't any info on the scheduling page.

Does anyone know any info about the Select interviews and if they are virtual or in person? I just received an II and scheduled the interview, but I don't know if I need to get a flight and get someone to cover my work the day before yet lol. When I looked it up their website said they do both, but there wasn't any info on the scheduling page.
They're virtual you should get a Microsoft teams email (or two if you have two interviews) with the link to join the interview. I don't think they offer in person at least this year

They're virtual you should get a Microsoft teams email (or two if you have two interviews) with the link to join the interview. I don't think they offer in person at least this year
Ok, thanks for the info. I just signed up today so I haven't gotten the email yet

Are the Core interviews open file and is it two separate one hour interviews?

Are the Core interviews open file and is it two separate one hour interviews?
Open file (idk if the interviewer is blinded to GPA/MCAT, but they do definitely see everything else)

You can either have 1 or 2 separate hour long interviews. I think the number of interviews just depends on interviewer availability and has nothing to do with your app, but please someone correct me if I’m wrong (cause I’d like to know how they decide the number of interviews you get if it’s not just interviewer availability)