2022-2023 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the A around 1 today! Interviewed late January.

Congrats to everyone who’s heard great news today, and if you haven’t yet, don’t give up hope!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
i got my A last month, but got my call Thursday AM from one of my interviewers!

Reactions: 1 user
Would a medical student ever give the call or would it mainly be the physicians? My interview was a 4th year student and a physician.
You should hear from both of your traditional interviewers- for most people that would have been 1 faculty and 1 student, but some people had 2 students or faculty. Regardless, we all got the email with the list and were told to call :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should hear from both of your traditional interviewers- for most people that would have been 1 faculty and 1 student, but some people had 2 students or faculty. Regardless, we all got the email with the list and were told to call :)
I guess they are done for the day 😓

I guess they are done for the day 😓
Probably, but that doesn't mean they are done for this week/round. I know there is an incredible amount of anxiety going around right now, but try not to let it consume y'all. You'll all be doctors eventually :)

Reactions: 4 users
Also, not that anyone wants to think about WL, but I’m pretty sure UNC is known for a fair amount of waitlist movement. So I’m not completely giving up yet!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck again today to everyone! Hopefully we get some more good news since it sounds like not a lot of folks who peruse the forums heard much yesterday lol.

Reactions: 8 users
forreal I hope all the people who are loyal to the SDN thread get in because low-key I feel like we’re all already best friends LOL

Reactions: 8 users
forreal I hope all the people who are loyal to the SDN thread get in because low-key I feel like we’re all already best friends LOL

lol yeah I do too. We can all recount the trauma that was this cycle together.

I will say this, I will try to pledge to do my best to extend to my future medical school classmates (hopefully at UNC-CH and/or otherwise), the compassion, caring, and kindness, I vow to show my future patients if I am blessed enough to become a physician. Strength, to all my friends (now known or to be known), brothers, sisters, and/or family as we wait. Lifting up us all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if they'll wait to see who all actually accepts an A this week and then roll out more A's and a waitlist next week? I guess it's only 1:30 and some folks in earlier waves heard back even as late as Thursday but I'm just trying to stay positive lol

I have never related to a comment more. I literally came back to the thread for this sole purpose. Rooting for y'all!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
WL email > R email

still the same waiting game

Reactions: 4 users
OOS WL interviewed in September. Praying for some movement here 🙏

+1 . Anyone know if the also do rejections, or just waitlist everyone? let’s not give up hope yet. Not over until it’s over

+1 . Anyone know if the also do rejections, or just waitlist everyone? let’s not give up hope yet. Not over until it’s over
+1 re WL. WL is better than flat-out rejection. I will take a WL. Hope for the best.

Last edited:
+1 Waitlist! Interviewed in November, IS LM 68. Good luck to everyone! Manifesting movement! 🤞🏻

+1 WL. Interviewed in October. Looks like another few months of stressin' and refreshin' on SDN

The email said that the list isn't ranked. Any idea how they choose who gets pulled off? Prior trends? Insight from the almighty @alibon ?

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know anything about their WL movement? A few years ago, some said that only 10-20% of WL's get off the list?

It's never over til you get the official R! Stay positive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for yah!

Reactions: 3 users
+1 WL
I'm glad it's not an R but really don't want yet another round of waiting. It's bittersweet

There wasn't supposed to be a confirmation email after accepting the waitlist, right?

When I click through my link from the email, it shows me in Green and waitlist accepted.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in to reassure everyone that got the WL email that it is very true that a good number of people get in off the WL every year, though I don't have specific numbers or know how they select which people to take off the list. My thought would be that they might try to replace students who decline the A with a similar student in terms of background/experience/what they bring to the class, but I can't say that for sure.
Also, someone messaged me about advice for students who might be facing key decisions in the uncertainty of the waitlist right now, so I can comment on that here. I really wish I had some general advice, but honestly there's no one-size-fits-all recommendation. I personally, would be planning things in case I didn't get off the waitlist, especially if you would be trying to reapply this year, but that's specific to me. If anyone is looking for more personal advice, feel free to message me, though I can only tell you what I think the best option is and others may have different/better opinions.

Reactions: 11 users
Thank you, Alibon! I will put this out there for the applicants in this thread: Obviously a waitlisted applicant whose MCAT scores are expiring will have to devote significant time to retaking the MCAT for one final reapplication. But would you suggest this route for reapplicants who have been waitlisted a first or second time (and whose MCAT scores are still eligible)? It's probably not wise to wait until the last week in July to begin studying for the MCAT for the next application cycle.

Thank you, Alibon! I will put this out there for the applicants in this thread: Obviously a waitlisted applicant whose MCAT scores are expiring will have to devote significant time to retaking the MCAT for one final reapplication. But would you suggest this route for reapplicants who have been waitlisted a first or second time (and whose MCAT scores are still eligible)? It's probably not wise to wait until the last week in July to begin studying for the MCAT for the next application cycle.
I'm a little confused, are you asking if you should retake the MCAT now if you're currently waitlisted but your scores are valid through the 2024 cycle? Like you're assuming you won't make it off the waitlist this year and will be rejected/not make it off the waitlist again next year too?

Apologies! My confusing question demonstrates why you suggested applicants reach out for personal, individual advice! :) There are applicants who have been waitlisted in prior cycle(s) and who wonder if they should have retaken the MCAT rather than strengthen their application with other experiences (and might now be doubting their decisions since they are once again waitlisted). If only there was a formula... I will encourage them to reach out.

Apologies! My confusing question demonstrates why you suggested applicants reach out for personal, individual advice! :) There are applicants who have been waitlisted in prior cycle(s) and who wonder if they should have retaken the MCAT rather than strengthen their application with other experiences (and might now be doubting their decisions since they are once again waitlisted). If only there was a formula... I will encourage them to reach out.
Ah okay I understand now. I think they made the right decision. If they got an interview and made it on the waitlist, then the school saw their scores and deemed them good enough (twice it sounds like). If they had asked back then, I would've advised them to focus on strengthening other parts of their app rather than spend time and money on a score that was already sufficient.