2022-2023 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get an email from a current med student offering to answer additional questions a few weeks after their interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Starting to feel a little sad as an early October interviewer with no news from UNC yet :/
I interviewed here back in September and still didn't receive anything from the admissions office yet. I am also beginning to feel a little sad.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know if there is going to be another round of As? I mean I would hope this wasn't the last round but I mean I guess they're done interviewing so I'm not really sure what to make of everything.

Do we know if there is going to be another round of As? I mean I would hope this wasn't the last round but I mean I guess they're done interviewing so I'm not really sure what to make of everything.
There's usually a round of A's around 3/15, so I'm guessing (and hoping) so!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
*calls UNC SOM Admissions Department* "Hey so is there something you want to tell me????"

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
The accepted student facebook group has 112 students. Last year's accepted class has 206. They are probably halfway through our applications. Also, wouldn't they send more acceptances than their spots? I would also imagine the acceptances being sent earlier are higher caliber applicants who are alsoo going to be more likely to end up choosing other schools. I heard somewhere the amount of acceptances is usually ~1.25x the amount of seats

TLDR: we are getting in.

Reactions: 8 users
The accepted student facebook group has 112 students. Last year's accepted class has 206. They are probably halfway through our applications. Also, wouldn't they send more acceptances than their spots? I would also imagine the acceptances being sent earlier are higher caliber applicants who are alsoo going to be more likely to end up choosing other schools. I heard somewhere the amount of acceptances is usually ~1.25x the amount of seats

In other words, start buying your Carolina gear now!

Reactions: 6 users

You've got my adrenaline FLOWIN. Ready to conquer the world.

Reactions: 1 user
I am going to burn my UNC undergrad cap and gown as a sacrifice to the gods of medical school admissions.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I am going to burn my UNC undergrad cap and gown as a sacrifice to the gods of medical school admissions.

I'll do the gown, but I like my grad cap so I may hang onto that lol. I think I got a class of 2021 stoll by accident instead of the class of 2020 one too so hopefully that'll make up the difference.

I hate to break it, but I thought the number of students in the group is never accurate… 😓

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to break it, but I thought the number of students in the group is never accurate… 😓
I would definitely doubt that it's accurate given that a lot of people in our generation do not use facebook/people may not be caught up on their emails etc (I know the email about the fb group went to my promotions folder and i didn't see it for a couple days). However, i really don't think they would have sent out every decision by the end of Feb. It is only 3/1, y'all!

Reactions: 1 users
They told my interview day at the end of January that we would hear back by the end of March, so it really sounds like they anticipated needing that long to finish sending out decisions!

Reactions: 5 users
I would definitely doubt that it's accurate given that a lot of people in our generation do not use facebook/people may not be caught up on their emails etc (I know the email about the fb group went to my promotions folder and i didn't see it for a couple days). However, i really don't think they would have sent out every decision by the end of Feb. It is only 3/1, y'all!
They told my interview day at the end of January that we would hear back by the end of March, so it really sounds like they anticipated needing that long to finish sending out decisions!
I hope that's the case :( I am trying to not get my hopes up too high

Do we think that they might meet again twice given that the 15th lands on a Wednesday this year? Idk I’m just highkey stressing out right now lol. Interviewed 1/19 here

Do we think that they might meet again twice given that the 15th lands on a Wednesday this year? Idk I’m just highkey stressing out right now lol. Interviewed 1/19 here
The committee will meet for the final time on March 20th. Info from a friend who works with admissions. Hang in there, guys. We have worked hard for wherever we end up.

Reactions: 7 users
The committee will meet for the final time on March 20th. Info from a friend who works with admissions. Hang in there, guys. We have worked hard for wherever we end up.

Does this mean that they don’t intend to meet the following two Mondays, or is that just the very last time they will meet

Does this mean that they don’t intend to meet the following two Mondays, or is that just the very last time they will meet
Last we talked, they did not mention to me whether they were meeting the 6th and the 13th but hopefully at least one of the two!

Last we talked, they did not mention to me whether they were meeting the 6th and the 13th but hopefully at least one of the two!
I think they should meet either at the 6th and the 13th unless they have already issued a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of the first year.

Do acceptance calls pretty reliably go out on Tuesdays only? Or do some go out throughout the rest of the week too?

From what I've seen this cycle, it looks like most go out Tuesday with a few stragglers on Wednesday if the committee can't fit the calls into their schedules right away. Could be totally wrong, but that's just what I've noticed.

From what I've seen this cycle, it looks like most go out Tuesday with a few stragglers on Wednesday if the committee can't fit the calls into their schedules right away. Could be totally wrong, but that's just what I've noticed.
unc.jpg

For those who are wondering...

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats to everyone with the A's!! Did anyone that got the A already notice their portal changed at all?
Not yet! Ngl I am a little bit worried that I hallucinated getting a call on Tuesday. 👁👄👁 wondering if anyone else had changes to their portal...?

Not sure if there will be calls today, but I’m wearing my UNC hoodie regardless to manifest an A 😤

Reactions: 5 users
Not yet! Ngl I am a little bit worried that I hallucinated getting a call on Tuesday. 👁👄👁 wondering if anyone else had changes to their portal...?
My portal changed and has some new links in it like an acceptance form, scholarship application, link to pay the $100 fee to hold your place, etc. I also got a long string of emails from UNC on Thursday with instructions for accepted applicants and UNC showed up on my CYMS tool on Thursday as well.

My portal changed and has some new links in it like an acceptance form, scholarship application, link to pay the $100 fee to hold your place, etc. I also got a long string of emails from UNC on Thursday with instructions for accepted applicants and UNC showed up on my CYMS tool on Thursday as well.
So you got in.

Similar phenomenon took place last year, hoping that the next two weeks will yield some positive news for folks here!
yeah, I'm pretty sure spring break applies to only the first-year students. I guess the next Tuesday will be "the" day.

Can a current student give insight on the clinical curriculum at the Asheville campus? Would love to go back home for third and fourth year so really interested in this. Thanks!

Can a current student give insight on the clinical curriculum at the Asheville campus? Would love to go back home for third and fourth year so really interested in this. Thanks!
Current student who is doing a third year in Asheville right now! Asheville campus is widely known as the "chillest" campus because the admin here are amazing and always there to support students. Also, the schedule is different from most campuses as we use the longitudinal curriculum. This means that instead of doing 1-2 months of specific care --> shelf exam, some of our rotations will continue for the whole year. Therefore, if you like having the chronic care experience/build relationship with patients, Asheville might be for you.

Downside of Asheville is that we don't have as many choices of specialty fields as the central location but honestly, you can get a lot in Asheville and supplement the specialty fields during fourth year. Happy to answer more if you have more questions.

To all my friends (who I know now or who I will someday meet), brothers and sisters posting, reading and/or otherwise, tomorrow could be a big day for us. Here's to everyone with a dream and hope to be physician by way of UNC CH. May that dream and hope come true!

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
Soooo do we also make a bracket for the March Madness UNC is about to drop on us?

Reactions: 3 users