2022-2023 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how strict they are about the literature prerequisites? I have 2 semesters english courses but they're both composition courses, I have AP lit but it doesn't show AP classes to add to the thing

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how strict they are about the literature prerequisites? I have 2 semesters english courses but they're both composition courses, I have AP lit but it doesn't show AP classes to add to the thing

On the prerequisite page:
If you have received AP credit or courses with a Pass/Fail grade for a prerequisite course, please also check off "Future Registration" and include the name of the course and any additional relevant information in the "explanation/comments" box.

Reactions: 1 user
Got a “preliminary review complete” email today. Secondary submitted 8/1.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1

What do they even mean by preliminary review though? Should we expect an answer soon or have we simply joined the queue officially now.

It’s literally just checking whether you meet the prerequisite and letter of rec requirements

Is a LOR from a healthcare professional an absolute requirement? Students from smaller universities often do not have facilitated opporitunities to work with HC professionals and trying to do it without some institution supporting you is difficult to say the least. I really wish I knew this before I took time to complete a secondary.

also does anyone know if a professor you had who happens to be a physician counts for this LOR requirement? i never worked with them in a clinical setting, but i took a class with them in college and got a LOR from them. i did not apply to a different school b/c they specifically want letters from physicians you've worked with in clinical settings, but hackensack did not say anything like that so wasn't sure.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
As far as I know, having a LOR from a healthcare professional is "an absolute requirement", but it doesn't have to be just a doctor. It can be any healthcare professional.
Ok, guess I'll withdraw my application. I don't know how you approach a random healthcare worker and ask then to stick their neck out to this degree. Oh well....

I'd recommend calling the admissions office and talking with them about it before you make any drastic decisions. They're very helpful.
I'll make this prudent move but I'm not getting my hopes up. You win some, you lose some. Thanks for the info.

• Care
Hi! Do you know some of the service opportunities that medical schools partake in? Thanks!
In terms of service work there is a large variety of things to do.

They have "HD" human dimension in which you follow up and help out a low-income community member with their health, life, and any tangentially medically related issues. In this same course you do a group volunteering project, my group taught a high school AP Bio lesson and ran a potential pre-med Q&A. You also create a capstone project which is a large-ish personal academic community service project.

Also during primetime COVID I vaccinated ~150 people which was a nice clinical volunteering opportunity.

You can readily volunteer with anything listed at this link:

Hi all,

I know this was discussed previously on this thread, but can anyone share advice on how they would answer the third prompt - Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?

Any advice, guidance, would be super helpful!

Submitted 8/7. I was notified via email that the preliminary review process was completed this morning.

• Care
Hi all,

I know this was discussed previously on this thread, but can anyone share advice on how they would answer the third prompt - Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?

Any advice, guidance, would be super helpful!
I took the the question as "how did you really confirm your interest/passion in medicine?" I kept the same theme of my personal statement but only mentioned 2 activities that helped me find my interest in the field that I want to pursue. So if you have a specialty that you are interested in, you can probably talk how you discovered that interest and such.

In my opinion, this question is hard because it is essentially another personal statement. Try to see if you can take a different approach to "why medicine" whether you can talk about more specific incidents/interest. If not, try to reflect deeper with the experiences

Is a LOR from a healthcare professional an absolute requirement? Students from smaller universities often do not have facilitated opporitunities to work with HC professionals and trying to do it without some institution supporting you is difficult to say the least. I really wish I knew this before I took time to complete a secondary.
Do you have clinical experience? That's where myself and most of my peers for their healthcare professional LORs from.

Completed 08/08 - received preliminary review complete email today.

I have the same question. I took a year of english but they're all literature classes, no english composition. I tried calling them multiple times but they never answered. I'll try again tomorrow but if anyone can answer my question in the meantime that'd be appreciated :)

Preliminary review complete — submitted 8/7 in the evening

complete email yesterday, 8/7 submission... hoping for interview I loveee this school

on my portal it says "Undergrad Date before June of App Year- Not received." Is there anything I need to do on my end? I though this would be automatically marked as received. I am a non trad with an international BS, MS and post-bac in US. Anyone has encountered same issue?

Is HMSOM an appropriate abbreviation to use for this school? They didn't use one in the secondary invite, and I want to be respectful.

"Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?"

So is this essentially a diversity essay? Trying to think of how I could approach this. I have ample clinical experience in the ER but also have some unique activities that have interesting ties to medicine - animal shelter volunteer, TikTok chef, and baseball umpire. Advice appreciated! (yes I am quite late with this secondary 🤦)

also does anyone know if a professor you had who happens to be a physician counts for this LOR requirement? i never worked with them in a clinical setting, but i took a class with them in college and got a LOR from them. i did not apply to a different school b/c they specifically want letters from physicians you've worked with in clinical settings, but hackensack did not say anything like that so wasn't sure.
update just got my application marked complete so yes it was fine for anyone in the same situation

Just received a complete notice (submitted 8/19)! It seems like HMSOM is doing things a bit differently from last year? They used to do prelim review, then a first phase review for applicants. Now it seems like it's just prelim review -> interview?

Its been nearly 2 weeks since I submitted my secondary and my LORs and Pre Reqs aren't verified yet,,, how long would you say its reasonable to wait before contacting admissions about this ?

Its been nearly 2 weeks since I submitted my secondary and my LORs and Pre Reqs aren't verified yet,,, how long would you say its reasonable to wait before contacting admissions about this ?
I submitted 8/14 and had to wait until 9/01 before the prelim review was complete. May be longer now because of the holiday weekend.

on my portal it says "Undergrad Date before June of App Year- Not received." Is there anything I need to do on my end? I though this would be automatically marked as received. I am a non trad with an international BS, MS and post-bac in US. Anyone has encountered same issue?
You have to send the Admissions Office a WES evaluation for them to verify.

Hello Friends, happy to report I just got an II ten minutes ago. I was complete Aug 1 and I got my preliminary review email on Aug 10. Good luck everyone. I'm rooting for y'all!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users