2022-2023 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Once you all submitted, was your prerequisite verification still marked incomplete?
Submitted in the AM and its still incomplete. Someone has to actually review your app and make sure everything is present before you are complete

Members don't see this ad.

MS3 here. Can answer questions y'all have. Good luck everyone!

Can you speak on the longitudinal emergency medicine clerkship? Does it really last over the 48 weeks of the other core clerkships like surgery, IM, FM, etc? The website chart makes it seem like so. Thanks! :)

Just found out today that my application now says LOR is not received which likely means they are looking for a letter from a healthcare professional, lol. They are really strict about that apparently. Sigh, I have shadowed doctors and even had a lecture with an active physician (this was my letter), but I guess they want more interactive letters in the healthcare field. Well, seems like this was a waste of a secondary :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out today that my application now says LOR is not received which likely means they are looking for a letter from a healthcare professional, lol. They are really strict about that apparently. Sigh, I have shadowed doctors and even had a lecture with an active physician (this was my letter), but I guess they want more interactive letters in the healthcare field. Well, seems like this was a waste of a secondary :(

Mine says not received as well, but I have a letter from a physician within a committee letter

Mine says not received as well, but I have a letter from a physician within a committee letter
They probably confirm our letters once secondaries are in. No reason to go thru everyone's letters in case some ppl decide to drop Hackensack; that would be a waste of time for them

edit: but they are strict about the healthcare provider letter

They probably confirm our letters once secondaries are in. No reason to go thru everyone's letters in case some ppl decide to drop Hackensack; that would be a waste of time for them

edit: but they are strict about the healthcare provider letter
1659451879201.png

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
submitted secondary yesterday and the only thing pending was prereq verification. Checked again this morning and now my LORs are marked as not received. Called admissions office (they are super responsive and very sweet lol). She manually checked my letters (2 MDs and 1 academic) and said I was good to go ... that it could be something with the portal. She said to follow up on Friday if nothing changes

ALSO - she shared with me that with the release of secondaries yesterday, review is going to begin soon and that first IIs will go out in Sept

hopefully that's helpful for someone!

Reactions: 4 users
wait so do we have to contact them to receive a complete on our lors? or will they do that automatically?

submitted secondary yesterday and the only thing pending was prereq verification. Checked again this morning and now my LORs are marked as not received. Called admissions office (they are super responsive and very sweet lol). She manually checked my letters (2 MDs and 1 academic) and said I was good to go ... that it could be something with the portal. She said to follow up on Friday if nothing changes

ALSO - she shared with me that with the release of secondaries yesterday, review is going to begin soon and that first IIs will go out in Sept

hopefully that's helpful for someone!

I called them as well, and she said that it’s on the system’s end and should update somewhat soon.

Anyone having trouble with the payment? It just brings me to a white screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you speak on the longitudinal emergency medicine clerkship? Does it really last over the 48 weeks of the other core clerkships like surgery, IM, FM, etc? The website chart makes it seem like so. Thanks! :)
It's 2 shifts per clerkship, one is during the week and you get to skip your clerkship activities for the day other than EM, the other shift is on a weekend. Not a huge fan of the longitudinal clerkship personally.

Reactions: 1 users
For the general biology prereq, does it have to be gen bio or just any bio w/ lab? I tried checking their website but it wasn’t super clear, thanks in advance!

For the general biology prereq, does it have to be gen bio or just any bio w/ lab? I tried checking their website but it wasn’t super clear, thanks in advance!
I believe it has to be general biology courses for that part and any other bio classes go under advanced bio courses.

I didn't realize how strict they are with the healthcare professional LOR :eek:. My healthcare professional LOR is from a programs coordinator that runs vaccine clinics and clinical volunteering at a local clinic.... she's not a "medical" professional but she does work in healthcare.... do ya'll think that will be enough for the LOR requirement ? Or should I contact admissions about this.

I didn't realize how strict they are with the healthcare professional LOR :eek:. My healthcare professional LOR is from a programs coordinator that runs vaccine clinics and clinical volunteering at a local clinic.... she's not a "medical" professional but she does work in healthcare.... do ya'll think that will be enough for the LOR requirement ? Or should I contact admissions about this.
"At least one from a health care professional (does not need to be a physician – can be a nurse, social worker, physician’s assistant, occupational therapist, psychologist, etc.)."
It seems like you will be fine, but just email them to confirm that you are good to go!

For those wondering about the "not received" status, it was changed to "pending review" so at least it does not mean our files were never received or delayed for review because we were lacking a letter or something, lol.

Check your spam and promotions folders. I have gmail and found the secondary in the promotions folder!

I feel like this is the only school that requires specific letters even if you have a committee letter. All my other school are okay with just the committee letter

For the healthcare provider letter, does a physician you've shadowed not suffice?
assuming the physician you shadowed wrote your letter, then yes of course. I think Hackensack is just saying that they want a letter from any healthcare provider, doesn;t have to be MD/DO

i submitted my secondary like a week ago but my LOR and prereq is still pending, any clue on when itll be done?

Does anyone know what specific service opportunuties they offer here I see their community partners on their website but I'm struggling to find info haha

What's the best abbreviation for this school? HMSOM? just Hackensack? Thanks!

i submitted my secondary like a week ago but my LOR and prereq is still pending, any clue on when itll be done?
how long did it take for you? just submitted, and both are still pending for me too

Just wondering, did everyone reach the maximum word limit for the secondary questions?

Still waiting on my "Prerequisite Verification" as well. Submitted 8/3

LORs review complete; prerequisites still pending review.

EDIT: preliminary review complete

Last edited:
Just got a prelim review complete email! Just says this for anyone wondering:

"We have completed the review of your application and you meet our admissions requirements. Your file is now being holistically reviewed to determine if you will be selected for an interview. You will remain in this status until you are selected for an interview or the admissions cycle closes."

Do they accept course work from Canada? Any Canadians applying to this school?

Anyone have advice on how to fill in Hackensack-Meridian's secondary time-efficiently when you weren't able to pre-write them? I'm trying to turn them in by next Monday before the 2-week period ends, but I barely made progress on it.

Anyone have advice on how to fill in Hackensack-Meridian's secondary time-efficiently when you weren't able to pre-write them? I'm trying to turn them in by next Monday before the 2-week period ends, but I barely made progress on it.
Give it time! I stared at my blank document for like a week and just tried to get SOME thoughts out each time. Eventually I thought about it enough and the answers kept flowing! Don't force it, it'll come when it comes :)

Just got the complete email after they reviewed my letters and courses.

Rising M3 here, feel free to ask questions here for any advice or specific information about HMSOM. Currently on rotations and engaged in a variety of research at the medical school.

some FAQ:
How many people do P3R (utilize the 3-year track)?
About a quarter to a third so far seem to utilize the 3-year track. The numbers may shift moving forward considering the initial classes were smaller and faced uncertainties through COVID.

Are there new residency programs starting up in the HMH network?
Yes. HUMC is starting an orthopedic surgery residency with 3 residents starting July 2023. According to the program director he will try to prioritize and support matching HMSOM students. I believe they are also starting an HUMC neurosurgery residency program, unclear if for 2023 or 2024. HUMC Urology just increased from 1 resident/yr to 2 residents/yr starting this year 2022.

Can you do research at HMSOM?
Yes. There is a wide range of research opportunities at HMSOM and throughout the network. The most active student research department is probably Urology, they churn out clinical research. There is also significant basic science research at the CDI (Center for Discovery and Innovation next to med school).

Where do people match?
Outside of the HMH network, the first class had some pretty stellar matches including Orthopedics at Mayo Clinic, Urology at Mt. Sinai, Emergency Medicine at Penn, and combined Peds-IM at Indiana.
Hi! Do you know some of the service opportunities that medical schools partake in? Thanks!

are you guys adding every course for prerequisites or only enough to meet the minimum?

Does anyone know if admissions will even consider my application if I got a C- in one of the prerequisites? I can't even add it to the prerequisites page in the secondary application. It was the first semester of my freshman year, I have a strong upward trend in my grades, have excelled in upper level science courses, and have a competitive MCAT score (515+). I emailed admissions but haven't heard back yet, and I don't want to submit my application and pay the fee if I won't even have a chance. Does anyone have a similar circumstance that they were able to get some clarity on or know how strict the prereq requirements are? Thanks!