2021-2022 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also got a II today! Just wondering... for the photo upload, I accidentally didn't properly name my file (so it's just image1.jpg). Anyone think that matters?
I also did the same thing lol I didn't see the requirements for the photo so I did (headshot1.jpg), I emailed them to see if I can reupload it somehow

Members don't see this ad.

I also did the same thing lol I didn't see the requirements for the photo so I did (headshot1.jpg), I emailed them to see if I can reupload it somehow
UHH

There were requirements for the photo?

Well ****. Sending an email now too I guess lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait the photo requirement you guys are talking about is for people that got interviews right?
Because I don't remember seeing one on the secondary, unless I'm wrong.

Wait the photo requirement you guys are talking about is for people that got interviews right?
Because I don't remember seeing one on the secondary, unless I'm wrong.
Yeah its for interviews

Reactions: 1 user
For those who already had their interviews, how in-depth do they ask about your research? What should I focus on? Giving a brief summary or what I learned?

For those who already had their interviews, how in-depth do they ask about your research? What should I focus on? Giving a brief summary or what I learned?
They asked me in quite some detail about my research, however they let me pick the topic to discuss.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they respond to your email and let you reupload it? I realized I did the same thing :/

So... If I never emailed them to fix mine, do you think it matters? I got my II about 2 weeks ago now
No idea tbh. If you're worried, it probably wouldn't hurt to email and ask though? Their interview coordinator seems super sweet and understanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you scheduled an interview here recently, what was the earliest available interview date?

II here yesterday! Complete early August. Interview options in two weeks.

II yesterday
LM ~76
Complete early August

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone curious about the interview process -- I just did mine yesterday, and it was a really wonderful experience! My interview "day" was in the afternoon, so I started with ~2h of welcoming session, which consists of watching several intro videos, a small talk from the dean, and a Q&A session with current students. Then I had two 30min 1-on-1 interviews, one with a faculty and one with an M4. (If your interview day is scheduled in the morning, you may have interview(s) before the welcoming session, or have one interview before and one after) I think both interviewers had access to my application files, but the M4 interviewer asked me more direct questions pertaining to my primary/secondary applications as compared to my faculty interviewer. Both interviews were very conversational and I had such a wonderful time talking with both of them!! (I simply love WCMC so much ahh) I really felt that the 30min interview time flew by so quickly. Good luck with anyone who will interview here in the future.
@GreatAnta - is it fair to assume that the 'Group Meetings and Virtual Tour' part of the interview day is not evaluated? Like, do they evaluate you on the kind of questions you ask etc?

Anyone know when cornell stops interviewing? Thanks
I got an II in November last year and interviewed in December. The latest I saw someone interviewed was early Feb.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing how far ahead your interview date options were?
Thanks! I'm actually not sure yet—they have you upload a photo and then say they will let you know dates. Will update when I find out tho

Update: they are scheduling about 2/2.5 weeks out

Last edited:
II this morning as well! Complete 7/30 OOS ORM

Reactions: 5 users
Also got an II this afternoon!! Complete 8/18, OOS, URM, LM 72

Reactions: 2 users
Does Cornell invite for interviews based on complete date? And does anyone know if they send out Pre-II R's or is it usually just radio silence until the end of the cycle?

Does Cornell invite for interviews based on complete date? And does anyone know if they send out Pre-II R's or is it usually just radio silence until the end of the cycle?
From SDN, I don’t think they’re sending too chronologically. And they are silence until the end unfortunately.

II, complete mid-August! So excited for this one :)

Reactions: 4 users
How long after uploading documents did those who received IIs get to schedule their interview?
Got the email next day for me after uploading docs

Edit: the dates available were for early November for me!

II today! OOS, no ties, LizzyM 72, complete late August. Uploaded the docs today, haven't been able to schedule yet.

Reactions: 2 users
have not heard anything and submitted mid-july... starting to feel less confident here

So how exactly does a school like Cornell do acceptances after interviews? Does anyone know, or is willing to speculate?

My theory, since I really should be doing so many other pressing things than speculating on this...

Following an interview, the two interviewers answer a questionnaire with standard questions which probably ask them to rate the candidate on let's say 10 attributes on a scale of horrible to excellent. Confidence, likability, professionalism, etc etc.

Then each also provides a summary evaluation on a scale of: A, R, Don't Know/Can't Tell

There's a score from primary + secondary app evaluations. Plus there is this score from the interview. These are both added up to a final comprehensive score.

Then around February/March, all of the evaluations from all interviews are looked at together, along with a demographic profile that the adcom wants to achieve, and candidates are pulled from the list according to the overall score. Highest scores get in first, until the 'quota' for that demographic is filled up.

Once all As are filled up, they do the same for WLs.

And that's how the sausage is made?

So how exactly does a school like Cornell do acceptances after interviews? Does anyone know, or is willing to speculate?

My theory, since I really should be doing so many other pressing things than speculating on this...

Following an interview, the two interviewers answer a questionnaire with standard questions which probably ask them to rate the candidate on let's say 10 attributes on a scale of horrible to excellent. Confidence, likability, professionalism, etc etc.

Then each also provides a summary evaluation on a scale of: A, R, Don't Know/Can't Tell

There's a score from primary + secondary app evaluations. Plus there is this score from the interview. These are both added up to a final comprehensive score.

Then around February/March, all of the evaluations from all interviews are looked at together, along with a demographic profile that the adcom wants to achieve, and candidates are pulled from the list according to the overall score. Highest scores get in first, until the 'quota' for that demographic is filled up.

Once all As are filled up, they do the same for WLs.

And that's how the sausage is made?
You're pretty much describing the process used at every med school. This isn't specific to Cornell. A few corrections though: usually interviews are looked at alongside the applicant profile, all 3 are evaluated together.
I'm not really sure how the "quota" thing works, but I don't think your description would be accurate. In practice, there are definitely quotas, but the Supreme Court barred outright quotas, so schools can't legally do something like "we have 20 seats set aside for Black students, and 15 seats for URM Hispanics". Supreme Court also barred outright adding points on the basis of race, so you can't do something like +10 for Black, +5 for Hispanic. Rather, racial consideration has to be more subjective, and likely takes place at the individual level, if I had to guess.

You're pretty much describing the process used at every med school. This isn't specific to Cornell. A few corrections though: usually interviews are looked at alongside the applicant profile, all 3 are evaluated together.
I'm not really sure how the "quota" thing works, but I don't think your description would be accurate. In practice, there are definitely quotas, but the Supreme Court barred outright quotas, so schools can't legally do something like "we have 20 seats set aside for Black students, and 15 seats for URM Hispanics". Supreme Court also barred outright adding points on the basis of race, so you can't do something like +10 for Black, +5 for Hispanic. Rather, racial consideration has to be more subjective, and likely takes place at the individual level, if I had to guess.
Oh, I mean demographics in general, not just race/ethnicity. I'm sure every school is trying to bring in a diverse class, which means they must have some idea of how many students in what categories they would like to have in the class. This could be male/female, instate/out of state, LGBT, International, military, rockstars…as well as URM, ORM...

Oh, I mean demographics in general, not just race/ethnicity. I'm sure every school is trying to bring in a diverse class, which means they must have some idea of how many students in what categories they would like to have in the class. This could be male/female, instate/out of state, LGBT, International, military, rockstars…as well as URM, ORM...
Oh yes, I see your point. For the others, I definitely agree. Race and Sex are the only two protected classes (I believe recent SC decisions may have extended Sex to Sexual Orientation too, but unsure). Anything falling outside of that can receive a discrete, outright quota.

Had a dream last night that I got accepted here…whether it’s a premonition remains to be seen 🤔

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Could somebody kindly link me to the application portal login page? I've lost it somewhere in the abyss...