2021-2022 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the school has done anything to address the falling pass rate for COMLEX 1? I've been accepted and am excited because the rotations look great (mostly local), but am hesitant due to the pass rate. I reached out to the school but haven't heard anything yet.

I had a similar inquiry a while ago. What I’ve learned: boards is 100% on you. The material you learn for classes is incredibly more detailed than the info you need for boards by the way. The SOM’s schedule follows unit blocks and the last unit block is dedicated board prep time. So you get 5-6 weeks of no classes and just time to prepare for boards. Some people just waste that time.

Match rate: was pretty good surprisingly. What you have to realize is that some people in medical school are just not realistic. S-doctors with no research, no awards, no extracurriculars-nothin’ applying ONLY academic orthopedic surgery or something of the like.

Match lists: kinda hit or miss, not really reflective of much. Not many anesthesia matches? Well, maybe not many people actually wanted to do anesthesia. Same goes for any specialty (besides plastics- very anti DO). Some specialties are really hard to match from any school allo or osteo.

^these maybe other thoughts you wanted addressed..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a similar inquiry a while ago. What I’ve learned: boards is 100% on you. The material you learn for classes is incredibly more detailed than the info you need for boards by the way. The SOM’s schedule follows unit blocks and the last unit block is dedicated board prep time. So you get 5-6 weeks of no classes and just time to prepare for boards. Some people just waste that time.

Match rate: was pretty good surprisingly. What you have to realize is that some people in medical school are just not realistic. S-doctors with no research, no awards, no extracurriculars-nothin’ applying ONLY academic orthopedic surgery or something of the like.

Match lists: kinda hit or miss, not really reflective of much. Not many anesthesia matches? Well, maybe not many people actually wanted to do anesthesia. Same goes for any specialty (besides plastics- very anti DO). Some specialties are really hard to match from any school allo or osteo.

^these maybe other thoughts you wanted addressed..
Love this. Thanks for the response. I am currently speaking with them regarding the pass rate and it sounds like they've made some adjustments and included more support for board prep.

It is absolutely wild the number of people I've seen going into DO schools with the notion they will match into ortho (or something similar) without a care in the world. Sure, follow your dreams, but be ready to except an absolutely wonderful fallback as well, you know, because you'll be a doctor, walking with people as they struggle through their sickness to health, or sickness to death. That's a pretty special role to play in life.

I'm a non-trad and am starting to realize a lot of the stress and fear is generated from getting the notion you HAVE to go one way and nothing else matters. When asked why, many times the person can't even give a good answer as to why they desire a given specialty. It's not their fault, as they truly believe this and it is VERY difficult to pull yourself back to reality when your mind is playing tricks on you due to external influencers.

All this is to say that I want to go into general practice, possibly endo as my research is metabolic disorder related, but certainly am not set on anything, much less anything competitive. I'm just happy to be here.
I realize I got way track, sorry about that.

• Care
Just got placed on hold for II. I was complete Aug 9th.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted, interviewed 10/29…big sad 😔.

• Care
Just got placed on hold for II. I was complete Aug 9th.
Same. Got the email this morning. I feel like its a silent R but we will see once people start giving up their seats by end of Dec. Grateful to make it to this point but really want an A anywhere this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Same. Got the email this morning. I feel like its a silent R but we will see once people start giving up their seats by end of Dec. Grateful to make it to this point but really want an A anywhere this cycle!
same, i have no II. Just holds and R's. I really just need one

Love this. Thanks for the response. I am currently speaking with them regarding the pass rate and it sounds like they've made some adjustments and included more support for board prep.

It is absolutely wild the number of people I've seen going into DO schools with the notion they will match into ortho (or something similar) without a care in the world. Sure, follow your dreams, but be ready to except an absolutely wonderful fallback as well, you know, because you'll be a doctor, walking with people as they struggle through their sickness to health, or sickness to death. That's a pretty special role to play in life.

I'm a non-trad and am starting to realize a lot of the stress and fear is generated from getting the notion you HAVE to go one way and nothing else matters. When asked why, many times the person can't even give a good answer as to why they desire a given specialty. It's not their fault, as they truly believe this and it is VERY difficult to pull yourself back to reality when your mind is playing tricks on you due to external influencers.

All this is to say that I want to go into general practice, possibly endo as my research is metabolic disorder related, but certainly am not set on anything, much less anything competitive. I'm just happy to be here.
I realize I got way track, sorry about that.

Ortho is doable as a DO, it’s incredibly hard to match from allo or osteo. Going allo isn’t a magical pass to do competitive specialties; you have to grind. I’m so stoked I went DO, it’s a special philosophy - you’ll learn more about it soon..

Good luck everyone here

• Care
Just got off the interview waitlist and got an interview. App completed 7/15 and got interview waitlisted 9/27

Hey everyone a current first year at UIWSOM! Don’t get discouraged if you were waitlisted. I got waitlisted last cycle around October and got a call in late July! There will be movement!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today! Interview 11/01!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For some added faith, I was placed on pre interview hold earlier in June and recently received an II. You never know!

Hi all! I just got an interview invite today and my interview is tomorrow (lol) it’s my first interview and I have no idea what I’m doing for MMI. Any advice for interviewing at this school specifically? Any input is much appreciated!

Hi all! I just got an interview invite today and my interview is tomorrow (lol) it’s my first interview and I have no idea what I’m doing for MMI. Any advice for interviewing at this school specifically? Any input is much appreciated!
Hey there, congrats on the interview! Don't sweat it, this school has a very welcoming vibe. I would recommend going over just a few ethical scenarios and work out how you would respond. Don't go overkill, but you can find some on this site or any site.

As with any school, be able to articulate what you like about the school and why you would want to attend there.

Above all else, just be honest and be yourself. Even though this program is affiliated with a religious institution, you are not expected to explicitly talk about your faith. However, feel free to do so if you feel so inclined. Know your application, and try and use some experiences in your responses.

The MMI goes by very quickly so its hard to remember specific questions. You get a couple mins to gather your thoughts after the prompt is given.

Just be chill. You got this!!

Mine is on Dec 13 at the 3 PM session! You?
I picked TOMORROW lol 3pm session. it was the first available and wouldn’t let me see any December dates. Good luck to us!!

Rejected today with no waitlisted placement. Interviewed 11/5.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if their interviews are open or closed file? Not sure how that works with the MMI format!

Also, anyone who wrote a thank you following their interview how did you go about it? Email or PDF to the admissions office? Written thank you note? Again not sure how to best navigate that in an MMI format lol

Also, anyone who wrote a thank you following their interview how did you go about it? Email or PDF to the admissions office? Written thank you note? Again not sure how to best navigate that in an MMI format lol
I sent an email to admissions.

Does anyone think there will be waitlist movement (post-interview) in Dec? Or if movement will start in the Spring?

Anyone have any guesses when they’ll send out the next round of IIs? How long does interview season usually last for them?

Just got an acceptance email, super grateful! Interviewed on 11/15.

• Love
I'm OOS, has a strong tie to SATX (undergrad &family) Avg stats.
I recently traveled back to Texas and realized how much I missed texas lol

Is it too late to apply to this school?

Do you already have an AACOMAS account established with your letters and transcripts? If so, I think you can still add UIWSOM to your list.
Here's their page with contact information and FAQs Frequently Asked Questions | Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine | University of the Incarnate Word

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take! I say go for it - they sent IIs into April last year

I do. okay!
I know Texas MD schools timeline is much ealier than other states, is that the case for DO schools too?
UIWSOM is the only DO school in Texas you could still add. The other two (SHSU and TCOM) use our TMDSAS application, and the deadline for TMDSAS submission was November 1.

Are there any current students that would be willing to answer a few questions regarding their experiences? Please PM if so!

How was the admitted students day this past weekend? Unfortunately could not attend due to a schedule conflict. Any important information to know about? Thanks!

Do any current students know what's happening with the board scores? The low pass rate is the only concerning factor to me with this school, but the fact they have not posted the recent years bothers me.

Do any current students know what's happening with the board scores? The low pass rate is the only concerning factor to me with this school, but the fact they have not posted the recent years bothers me.
No idea but also wondering about that! It’s my only real concern.

So some news...they had an unexpected amount of applications and now the 12 weeks is up to 15-16 weeks. However...I wouldn't hold your breath lol. I am past 16 weeks and I haven't heard back yet haha.
Heard back post II or pre II?

UIWSOM has posted the pass rate for their first-time COMLEX I test-takers. Outcomes | University of the Incarnate Word

I've looked into this subject as an accepted student. I don't find that particular statistic concerning at all, especially given the fact that the most recent class had a good match list and placement rate (95%). From what I've been hearing from friends who are already in medical school, board scores are largely dependent on a student's independent preparation.

With all of that being said, I'm certainly not an expert and wouldn't mind hearing from an adcom. Any thoughts? @Goro

• Love
UIWSOM has posted the pass rate for their first-time COMLEX I test-takers. Outcomes | University of the Incarnate Word

I've looked into this subject as an accepted student. I don't find that particular statistic concerning at all, especially given the fact that the most recent class had a good match list and placement rate (95%). From what I've been hearing from friends who are already in medical school, board scores are largely dependent on a student's independent preparation.

With all of that being said, I'm certainly not an expert and wouldn't mind hearing from an adcom. Any thoughts? @Goro
New schools will have weaker Board scores and pass rates because they are, new schools, more likely to attract weaker students.

Now that they have graduated a Class, they should have their act together

Accepted just now! Interviewed 11/19. Hope everyone else got good news!

Are there Level 2 board scores available anywhere for UIWSOM? I can only find Level 1