2021-2022 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unpopular opinion here, but if you already have an A and know 100% you would not go here, I’d turn down the interview so someone else can take your spot. There are a lot of people who would like the chance to interview here for a potential A.

When interviews were in person, more people got the chance to interview at a school because people turned down their extra IIs after receiving an A.

Obviously just my opinion though, and I understand where everyone else is coming from!
Not an unpopular opinion at all. If you know that you don’t want to attend a particular school, why waste your time, the time of the time interviewer, and the time of the admissions committee, interviewing, particularly if you already hold a seat elsewhere? My wife is faculty at a different medical school and sits on the admissions committee; its a VERY tough job having the aspirations of applicants in your hands and trying to decide who gets in and who doesn’t. The job is made harder by those students who they get a sense that are just interviewing but they know the likelihood of them actually attending is 0 to none. They still have to legally give them the same consideration as the next applicant. No, give up the interview invite to someone else.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Do you need a letter from an osteopathic Physician to get an interview invite/ acceptance? Or is a letter from an MD sufficient?

Do you need a letter from an osteopathic Physician to get an interview invite/ acceptance? Or is a letter from an MD sufficient?
I received an II and I did not have a DO rec letter, only MD. I think it would be more favored but def not required.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gone to an Admitted Student Day? Is anyone going this weekend? Just excited and want to know what to expect! :)

Is there a way we can see which CHC's are available before we make our list and send the deposit?

You can check our school website For the latest on all scholarships. To my knowledge, they’re also super specific to the type of person they’re looking for (Texas resident for however many years, Veteran status, or whatever the case may be). I have not heard of the one that you’re referring to as something that you can apply to- I am assuming they would just give this to someone upon admission.
From my understanding they offer the scholarship to those they feel most align with their mission. And about 35-40% of students receive the scholarship. This is from what I recall from an online UIW information session they had a few weeks prior to starting interviews. So I think you're right. It's not really something you apply to but is offered from the school at some point after admittance.

Has anyone gone to an Admitted Student Day? Is anyone going this weekend? Just excited and want to know what to expect! :)
I am going this weekend! I don't know what to expect, but very excited, too!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
My first A!!! Interviewed on 9/24! I am so excited that I am going to be a doctor!!! :giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone on/ have experienced being on the pre-II hold list? Is it worth sending updates and has anyone been offered an interview from the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you think we'll hear back?
I see that it's typically 2 weeks from your interview day +/- 2 days. I interviewed 9/20 and got my decision 10/6. They seem to be very punctual and prompt about sending out these decisions so though it's nerve-wrecking, it will come before you know it!

I see that it's typically 2 weeks from your interview day +/- 2 days. I interviewed 9/20 and got my decision 10/6. They seem to be very punctual and prompt about sending out these decisions so though it's nerve-wrecking, it will come before you know it!
Alright awesome, thank you!

• Care
Accepted!!! Interviewed Oct. 1. Thrilled! They were so lovely during the interview!

• Care
  • Love
first acceptance!! interviewed 10/1

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone receive a scholarship offer with their acceptance? Does anyone know when they typically begin to offer scholarships to accepted students?

Did anyone receive a scholarship offer with their acceptance? Does anyone know when they typically begin to offer scholarships to accepted students?
I didn't receive any info on scholarships or financial aid w/ the acceptance letter. I'm not sure when we would get that information

been complete since early aug, and radio silence. anyone else in this boat?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I didn't receive any info on scholarships or financial aid w/ the acceptance letter. I'm not sure when we would get that information
They don’t start giving out scholarship information until around February

I withdrew my acceptance at UIWSOM - I hope it goes to one of you! ❤️

• Care
been complete since early aug, and radio silence. anyone else in this boat?
Same here. I was marked complete on 8/16 and I haven't heard anything. The complete email they sent did say it could be 8-12 weeks before we hear anything, so fingers crossed we hear something soon.

Has there been another round of interview invites? I’ve noticed they do them monthly around this time

For those who were accepted, does anyone know if we have to accept the matriculation offer on the portal immediately after receiving it or can we wait until the Dec 14 deposit deadline to respond?

Does anyone know if the school has done anything to address the falling pass rate for COMLEX 1? I've been accepted and am excited because the rotations look great (mostly local), but am hesitant due to the pass rate. I reached out to the school but haven't heard anything yet.

For those who were accepted, does anyone know if we have to accept the matriculation offer on the portal immediately after receiving it or can we wait until the Dec 14 deposit deadline to respond?
I don't think you need to make your decision immediately since you'd have to put down your deposit as well and for me I am still waiting to hear from others so I didn't want to potentially waste the casho_O, but I suppose if you know that you have other options open then it would be polite and considerate to turn down the acceptance promptly

I don't think you need to make your decision immediately since you'd have to put down your deposit as well and for me I am still waiting to hear from others so I didn't want to potentially waste the casho_O, but I suppose if you know that you have other options open then it would be polite and considerate to turn down the acceptance promptly

Thanks for shedding some light on that! In all honesty, I am still undecided and pondering the idea of attending UIWSOM so I will probably not be turning down the offer until I can fully weigh all options.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for shedding some light on that! In all honesty, I am still undecided and pondering the idea of attending UIWSOM so I will probably not be turning down the offer until I can fully weigh all options.
Of course, that is a fair and valid way to do it! same with me as well! Good luck!

Dead silence since Mid August. Had only one other II so far. Anyone else in this boat? Are we supposed to reach out to admissions or something at this point?

When will there be waitlist movement. Is there alot?

thought the recruitment events email was a II for a second :(