2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Considering the number of people on this thread that have reported a WL and only one (to my knowledge) that has reported getting off the WL, I think it's safe to assume that not much movement has occurred yet. Who knows, you could get an outright acceptance and not even spend time on the WL. Stay positive!
We might start hearing more soon, at least I hope, even before CTE becoming available on April 30th. Back in February, they still had a couple hundred applications they hadn't even looked at yet. I can't remember the exact deadline the ADCOM was given to finish processing them but I do believe it was in March.
Either way, the waiting continues!

Members don't see this ad.

We might start hearing more soon, at least I hope, even before CTE becoming available on April 30th. Back in February, they still had a couple hundred applications they hadn't even looked at yet. I can't remember the exact deadline the ADCOM was given to finish processing them but I do believe it was in March.
Either way, the waiting continues!
Here's to hoping lol. USUHS currently my #1. Hope to see some of you this summer!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone from early Jan interviews still waiting to hear back?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if LOIs have any pull once you're on the WL?

Anyone know if LOIs have any pull once you're on the WL?

I sent a LOI a month after my interview and then was WL on 3/23 which was only 7 weeks after my interview on 01/28. No idea if the early decision was because of my LOI but it’s possible. Still no A as of now…

I sent a LOI a month after my interview and then was WL on 3/23 which was only 7 weeks after my interview on 01/28. No idea if the early decision was because of my LOI but it’s possible. Still no A as of now…
I was thinking about sending one, but if places on the WL are locked, then it probably wouldn't do anything anyway.

I was thinking about sending one, but if places on the WL are locked, then it probably wouldn't do anything anyway.

I would definitely send one. It couldn’t hurt. I think mine helped me. If it’s a genuine letter then it’ll be a good addition to your file

I sent a LOI 2 weeks ago (8 weeks after my interview) and no decision yet. 🤷‍♀️

Interviewed the week of 1/10, just got put on the waitlist.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone else out there who's still waiting on a post-interview decision? I interviewed early Jan and haven't heard a thing yet...

Is there anyone else out there who's still waiting on a post-interview decision? I interviewed early Jan and haven't heard a thing yet...
Scroll up a little. The answer is "yes, plenty".

Reactions: 1 users
very anxiously waiting on one. My only shot at medical school for next year so I am banking on this working to a degree.

• Care
Based on forums from previous years, it seems like WL movement has been really slow for this time of the year. So far only 1 person on here reported going from WL -> A whereas in last year’s forum several people by this date reported being taken off the WL. So I think it’s safe to be cautiously optimistic :)

I was also placed on the WL back in Jan and got the A last month. So there has been some movement, but definitely seems more sparse compared to this time last year

I stalked last years forum and it seems like a bunch of people got the A off the WL the week after the 15th. Last year that was a Thursday and this year it’s a Friday so I bet we’ll start hearing a lot next week!!

Remember that SDN isn't really representative of all applicants. We're only a subset of applicants so we don't know the whole story. In terms of apparent popularity, we were on page 32 or 33 in last year's thread but we'd need to compare the number of contributing users and their outcomes to be more certain. There are too many factors that we can't account for so there's no way to tell how much movement we'll experience in the next 2-3 months. It isn't over until it's over (usually around mid/late July) so stay optimistic!

Even if this cycle doesn't go out as planned, USU offers great feedback on your application (or at least, they offered feedback in previous cycles). Use that to your advantage if you plan on reapplying.

Last edited:
Remember that SDN isn't really representative of all applicants. We're only a subset of applicants so we don't know the whole story. In terms of apparent popularity, we were on page 32 or 33 in last year's thread but we'd need to compare the number of contributing users and their outcomes to be more certain. There are too many factors that we can't account for so there's no way to tell how much movement we'll experience in the next 2-3 months. It isn't over until it's over (usually around mid/late July) so stay optimistic!

Even if this cycle doesn't go out as planned, USU offers great feedback on your application (or at least, they offered feedback in previous cycles). Use that to your advantage if you plan on reapplying.

My biggest complaint about this process (this is my only year as an applicant) is that if you’re on a waitlist for a school, you really won’t find out if you get in or not until it’s basically time to apply again to the next cycle, giving no time to actually use the feedback to improve your application. Anyone else feel this way or am I looking at the timeline wrong?

Reactions: 5 users
My biggest complaint about this process (this is my only year as an applicant) is that if you’re on a waitlist for a school, you really won’t find out if you get in or not until it’s basically time to apply again to the next cycle, giving no time to actually use the feedback to improve your application. Anyone else feel this way or am I looking at the timeline wrong?
That's exactly why most would recommend continuing to build up your application throughout the cycle and take a cycle off in between applications.

Although, I do agree with you that the structure of the app cycle needs to be overhauled. The fact that it takes so long to give applicants a definitive yes or no is ridiculous and makes it hard to plan for what your life might be like in the next 2-3 months.

Oh you're absolutely correct. It's an outdated and arduous process that needs serious remodeling, but that takes time. Schools adopting the MMI is one example of attempting to fix the process. Now applicants need to prepare for two possible interview types. Same deal with CASPer. With every change, you're bound to face resistance.

Of course, the whole waitlist thing varies from case to case but I got off the waitlist in mid/late July last cycle. Some schools have even reported moving applicants off the waitlist the day before classes began. However, not all applicants wait as long. As ftrdr2021 mentioned, you'll find merit in improving your application as the cycle progresses. Be hard on yourself when self-critiquing and then use the next few months to improve; even if you only find time to improve one thing. Just because I'm reapplying doesn't mean I stopped doing everything. I'm still conducting research, gaining clinical exposure, teaching, and pursuing my hobbies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is the 15th when people have to only hold 3 acceptances?
It's interesting to think there's folks out there with so many acceptances they HAVE to narrow it down to 3.
Fingers crossed for the next few days...

It's interesting to think there's folks out there with so many acceptances they HAVE to narrow it down to 3.
Fingers crossed for the next few days...
lol yeah that would be unreal just holding on to 3 acceptances like its nobodies business. I didn't even have three interviews like damn son.

I know that this was mentioned before, but what are people's success with writing letter of intents? Also would do people usually write about when writing a letter of intent to this type of school and do they even accept them like that? Let me know.

I know that this was mentioned before, but what are people's success with writing letter of intents? Also would do people usually write about when writing a letter of intent to this type of school and do they even accept them like that? Let me know.
I personally believe a LOI has little weight for someone waiting on an interview and even less weight for someone on the waitlist. I say this because I've seen individuals get an II only after sending a letter of intent but I've never seen someone get accepted off the waitlist after sending one. However, they might be a little more impactful when combined with one or more updates (e.g. new publication, new clinical exposure, etc.) that weren't listed on your primary. It can't hurt to send one. I'd argue that you can only benefit from it.

I followed a prompt I found on Reddit. I don't recall the exact post (at work atm) but it was something like this:

1. "Dear [School] Admissions Committee"

2. State your interview date and thank them again. State what you liked about the school and what you enjoyed about the process

3. Write about updates

4. Restate how your updates and your application aligns with the school's mission and values

5. Close with something like "If granted admission here, I would marticulate without hesitation"

6. Signature

USU accepts letters of intent but not all schools do. Type one up and send it to your admissions counselor.

Last edited:
I wondered the same thing so I want to share what was mentioned during an information session. CAPT Liotta said then that if it really comes down to the wire, LOI are definitely considered.

Post interview makes more sense for writing the LOI because you can mention specifics about why you think USU would be such a great fit for you.

Good luck!!

Got the call from Cpt. Liotta this evening. Hopefully this is a sign of more movement to come!

Reactions: 8 users
just got on waitlist. Hopefully I’ll be off the waitlist. Interview Jan17.

• Care
Just got the waitlist email, as well. Interviewed 1/17. I'm pretty stoked, but really hoping to hear something back before the end of May.

• Care
Just got the waitlist email, as well. Interviewed 1/17. I'm pretty stoked, but really hoping to hear something back before the end of May.
hoping to hear something by like the beginning of May lol. like I gotta find a place to live and then say good bye to everyone I love before that whole thing. I am ready for it but damn the uncertainty is just unreal. I also don't know what the likelihood of getting off the wait list is. I have heard some people say that almost everyone gets off of it if they are healthy but I feel like most people get waitlist anyways so how do they even make that decision.

hoping to hear something by like the beginning of May lol. like I gotta find a place to live and then say good bye to everyone I love before that whole thing. I am ready for it but damn the uncertainty is just unreal. I also don't know what the likelihood of getting off the wait list is. I have heard some people say that almost everyone gets off of it if they are healthy but I feel like most people get waitlist anyways so how do they even make that decision.
If you look at data from MSAR, they waitlist 175-200 people while interviewing ~600 people. So, they don't WL everybody.

Yeah, I feel you on that. I would really like to get my housing situation locked down as soon as possible, and my wife has to put in for a transfer from her job. It's stressful, but I've got over 8 years active service already, so I'll sit on the waitlist until the last minute if I have to. Really hoping it doesn't come to that, though.

If you look at data from MSAR, they waitlist 175-200 people while interviewing ~600 people. So, they don't WL everybody.
Do the number of waitlist position include the alternate list or only the wait list

Do the number of waitlist position include the alternate list or only the wait list
I'd assume WL only. Although, I guess they could include alternate list, but then why not just combine the two lists and not say that they're two different lists.

Do most people on the wait list eventually get in?
If you look at c/o 2025 stats on their website, they offered 289 people for 173 positions. I'd assume 116 offers from the WL, but who knows. It will vary from year to year.

Do most people on the wait list eventually get in?
If we're going off statistics reported in MSAR, approximately 175-200 applicants will get waitlisted in a typical cycle. USU hands out about 275 acceptances per cycle (I would assume it ranges from 265-280) and 100 of these come from the waitlist. So roughly half of the waitlisted applicants will eventually receive an acceptance.

Whether or not this cycle is "typical" is an entirely different question. I believe MSAR includes data up to October of 2021.

Last edited:
If we're going off statistics reported in MSAR, approximately 175-200 applicants will get waitlisted in a typical cycle. USU hands out about 275 acceptances per cycle (I would assume +/- 15) and 100 of these come from the waitlist. So roughly half of the waitlisted applicants will eventually receive an acceptance.

Whether or not this cycle is "typical" is an entirely different question. I believe MSAR includes data up to October of 2021thats Not
If we're going off statistics reported in MSAR, approximately 175-200 applicants will get waitlisted in a typical cycle. USU hands out about 275 acceptances per cycle (I would assume +/- 15) and 100 of these come from the waitlist. So roughly half of the waitlisted applicants will eventually receive an acceptance.

Whether or not this cycle is "typical" is an entirely different question. I believe MSAR includes data u

Whether or not this cycle is "typical" is an entirely different question. I believe MSAR includes dat

I believe that’s incorrect , USU is restricted to giving only as many acceptances as the class size, so the total number of acceptances given could be multiples of the class size depending on how many candidates reject the acceptanc.