2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here also working the HPSP route? My recruiter called today to let me know that they need a final answer by May. Does that sound about right? So waitlist movement during March/April or you have to jump ship? I got into my #2, so definitely not the end of the world, but trying to see how long I can be patient before I need to make some solid decisions.
There is no absolute deadline for HPSP - they give out scholarships until they don’t have anymore. They are first come first serve though so if you’re awarded one and you wait too long to commit they may say “sorry we’ve met our quota”. So the sooner you can commit for HPSP the better, but there are usually some spots left in June. My fiancé even got one in august like the week classes started. Just keep in touch with your recruiter about how many are still available and gauge with yourself how much you’re willing to risk to go to USUHS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got a second look invite but still have not been given any acceptance, rejection, or waitlist notification. I interviewed the week of 11/15, is anyone else in the same boat?

I just got a second look invite but still have not been given any acceptance, rejection, or waitlist notification. I interviewed the week of 11/15, is anyone else in the same boat?

I haven’t either but I was told that I was medically unqualified so I’m guessing that I’ll be rejected

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure this has been asked/answered but I couldn't find it. When does USU stop conducting interviews?

Also, I know its still early, but has anyone announced that they've been offered a spot from the waitlist thus far?

I'm pretty sure this has been asked/answered but I couldn't find it. When does USU stop conducting interviews?

Also, I know its still early, but has anyone announced that they've been offered a spot from the waitlist thus far?
From the interview website, the last interview week was 17 JAN 2022. Based on this forum, some folks from the week of 15 NOV 2021 still haven't heard back, so I assume WL movement won't happen for a while but hopefully soon (WL applicant too, so in the same boat).

Last edited:
I had my interview at the end of January so the website isn’t completely accurate. Not sure when they stopped or if they have yet!
From the interview website, the last interview week was 17 JAN 2022. Based on this forum, some folks from the week of 15 NOV 2021 still haven't heard back, so I assume WL movement won't happen for a while but hopefully soon (WL applicant too, so in the same boat)

Interviewed week of January 17th and on the website that appeared to be the last day of the interviews. Not sure if this would be the final day or just the most up to date interview schedule. I have heard of people last year hearing back by the end of march after they interviewed in January so this could be when we hear back (this is what the student sponsor told me)

Historically, the last round of interviews takes place during the last week of February. The schedule on USU's interview page stops at the week of Jan. 17th but maybe it got cut off?

Last edited:
I read this from old posts and I could not understand what they were talking about, what is a board score? I read it is out of 15!!

I read this from old posts and I could not understand what they were talking about, what is a board score? I read it is out of 15!!
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that your board score is kind of like an overall score that the admissions committee members give you. It accounts for your stats, ECs, character, interview, essays, etc. The higher the score, the more competitive you are (and the higher up you are on the WL/queue).

Or maybe that's for a different school.

Last edited:
Just got waitlist email and I interviewed 12/6. Ranked service as Army > Navy > Air Force.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this is redundant, but does anyone have any idea how many people they WL vs. AL/R?

I just got a conditional acceptance my ranking was Air Force > Navy > Army, I interviewed the week of 11/15. I do not know how much it helped but one of my LORs was from an active duty doctor, I had clinical experience at a military hospital, and I stated in my personal statement that I wanted to make a career out of the military. I know that USUHS is big on making career military doctors.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this is redundant, but does anyone have any idea how many people they WL vs. AL/R?
In the past they've said about half of interviewees get voted "accept" which means WL if the class is full

Interviewed week of 11/29 and still haven't heard back yet... :cryi:

• Care
In the past they've said about half of interviewees get voted "accept" which means WL if the class is full
So if they interview ~600 (MSAR), we're saying that 300 get the accept? Essentially, if you're WL, there's a good chance you'll end up getting accepted?

So if they interview ~600 (MSAR), we're saying that 300 get the accept? Essentially, if you're WL, there's a good chance you'll end up getting accepted?
Yes. USU sends out about 275 acceptances every cycle. Up-to-date numbers are difficult because (1) the waitlist is ranked and (2) these past two cycles have been unbelievably competitive but statistically, you have around a 46% chance of being accepted once you interview (2019-2020 cycle and earlier).

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone here also working the HPSP route? My recruiter called today to let me know that they need a final answer by May. Does that sound about right? So waitlist movement during March/April or you have to jump ship? I got into my #2, so definitely not the end of the world, but trying to see how long I can be patient before I need to make some solid decisions.

I didn't have my HPSP contract finalized until like July or August of MS1. There was some delay in getting paid. I took out a loan, spent what I needed to, then paid off the loan in full when I received my HPSP bonus/stipend and stuff. Minor pain in the ass at the time, but barely registers as an obstacle in the grand scheme of things as I look back.

I just got a conditional acceptance my ranking was Air Force > Navy > Army, I interviewed the week of 11/15. I do not know how much it helped but one of my LORs was from an active duty doctor, I had clinical experience at a military hospital, and I stated in my personal statement that I wanted to make a career out of the military. I know that USUHS is big on making career military doctors.
May I ask why that rank order? Curious what the vibes are these days. When I was pre-med, the forums all reeked of GMO tours for Navy people, which deterred me (rightfully so, half of my Navy intern friends went off to be GMOs).

Air Force sends tons of people civilian deferred, which means less money/benefits. Army always seemed like the easy choice to me - biggest medical corps, most residency spots. Sure, the Chair Force has the rep of being kush, but residency is residency, and I'd rather be making 100k active duty as a resident than 60k as a civilian when I have to work for Uncle Sam afterwards regardless.

Does anyone know when USU starts working through the waitlist? I am a prior service Army medic who interviewed mid-October and had a long battle to get medically cleared which may have partially contributed to me being put on the waitlist. Wondering how good my chances are at getting a nice phone call this month or next.

Does anyone know when USU starts working through the waitlist? I am a prior service Army medic who interviewed mid-October and had a long battle to get medically cleared which may have partially contributed to me being put on the waitlist. Wondering how good my chances are at getting a nice phone call this month or next.
I'm in the same boat. Interviewed the week of Oct. 11th, got waitlisted on December 17th, and haven't heard anything since.

The general consensus is that waitlist movement generally ramps up in late March until late April. It slows down in June and stops in July/August.

If I recall correctly, we saw the same trend last cycle but with less overall movement due to the large increase in number of applications. Unfortunately, the number of applicants may have increased again so we can only wait and see.

I'm in the same boat. Interviewed the week of Oct. 11th, got waitlisted on December 17th, and haven't heard anything since.

The general consensus is that waitlist movement generally ramps up in late March until late April. It slows down in June and stops in July/August.

If I recall correctly, we saw the same trend last cycle but with less overall movement due to the large increase in number of applications. Unfortunately, the number of applicants may have increased again so we can only wait and see.
Ok ty, just have always wondered how much being prior service aids in getting into USU, seems pretty difficult to quantify.

Hi all, I’m a bit confused about the waitlists mentioned on past threads. Does USUHS let you know if you’re on the primary or hold(secondary) lists? Do the letters for the these lists look distinct in anyway? And what are the chances of getting off the hold (secondary) waitlist?

Well. I don't think there were less waitlist movement last cycle. According to USU website,
"Profile of the Class of 2025
3,300 applicants
289 offers to fill 173 spaces"

Meaning, 116 would be from either WL or AL. This number is equivalently high to previous cycles. There seemed to have a great WL movement last year unless USU gave more II and more WL as well.
I don't think WL movement wouldn't depend on the number of applications but rather depend on how many accepted people would withdraw theirs.

Well. I don't think there were less waitlist movement last cycle. According to USU website,
"Profile of the Class of 2025
3,300 applicants
289 offers to fill 173 spaces"

Meaning, 116 would be from either WL or AL. This number is equivalently high to previous cycles. There seemed to have a great WL movement last year unless USU gave more II and more WL as well.
I don't think WL movement wouldn't depend on the number of applications but rather depend on how many accepted people would withdraw theirs.
That's reasonable. I just remember that there weren't many WL --> A posts on last year's thread during this time despite the increase in popularity. Capt. Liotta told me that the incoming Navy/AF classes were finalized much earlier than previous cycles so maybe that's where I got mixed up.

But, more waitlist movement is good news (for the waitlisted).

Last edited:
Of course we'll see some movement from withdrawals or DQ from medical or security but I think the big push will be April 30 when "Commit to Enroll" opens up and folks start making their final decisions.

Just my two cents. Ah well, either way the wait continues.

Reactions: 3 users
I heard secondhand that they're expecting higher than usual movement due to the war in Ukraine causing people to rethink the military. Personally, I'm hoping they get to me before it just makes sense to commit to my other A

Reactions: 6 users
I heard secondhand that they're expecting higher than usual movement due to the war in Ukraine causing people to rethink the military. Personally, I'm hoping they get to me before it just makes sense to commit to my other A

For real, dude. The worst case scenario for me and my wife is that I get accepted off the USUHS waitlist after we’ve already moved to the city of my other A. That would be such a nightmare.

Reactions: 2 users
I suppose I can only hope that's the case. Getting paid to go to school, worldwide travel, guaranteed residency, but oh yeah, wartime. That little thing.

Regardless of the reasons people join, folks often forget that very real possibility and need that reminder. If anything, it's to their benefit they're confronted with it sooner, makes room for the rest of us that want to go. And not just active theaters but training environments, field exercises, TDY, or just regular work hours. People can be away from home and their families for days, weeks, months at a time and need to be okay with that.

Granted, with the medical corps, some are more likely to go downrange than others, but then I've had a couple battalion surgeons, well let's just say they had varying degrees of usefulness because of their specialties and overall motivation. A dermatologist might not be very useful for airborne infantry, but they're a lot more useful than someone that doesn't want to be there. At least if they want to be there, they're willing to learn and try harder, but a bad attitude is one of the worst things you can bring, for yourself and everyone around you.

It's one thing to write a "why military medicine" essay, it's another thing entirely to be confronted with its reality. Bless applicants that are going in with both eyes open and at least some expectation of what's coming their way, but if they aren't prepared to lose control over their lives, it's going to be a very long 14+ years.

Reactions: 8 users
May I ask why that rank order? Curious what the vibes are these days. When I was pre-med, the forums all reeked of GMO tours for Navy people, which deterred me (rightfully so, half of my Navy intern friends went off to be GMOs).

Air Force sends tons of people civilian deferred, which means less money/benefits. Army always seemed like the easy choice to me - biggest medical corps, most residency spots. Sure, the Chair Force has the rep of being kush, but residency is residency, and I'd rather be making 100k active duty as a resident than 60k as a civilian when I have to work for Uncle Sam afterwards regardless.
I want to do a specific job in the Air Force, they have special operations surgical team. I also grew up in an Air Force family, both parents were Air Force officers, additionally the surgeon I shadowed under was Air Force. For the job I want I know Army has an equivalent with forward surgical teams but still the Air Force called to me. And I guess it worked out for me because a lot of people that ranked Army or Navy first are getting waitlisted.

Does anyone know if there is an accepted students group yet? I was conditionally accepted last week and would love to get to know my soon to be classmates.

Just got call for Army!!!!! Excited to start this fall, and sending all my excess luck to everyone else! Y’all got this!!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Huge congrats!! When did you interview?
I interviewed the week of 12/6 and was waitlisted last week. I really wasn’t expected such a quick response, so I’m still in a bit of a shock. It’s still early, so I hope to see more good news in this thread!

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed the week of 12/6 and was waitlisted last week. I really wasn’t expected such a quick response, so I’m still in a bit of a shock. It’s still early, so I hope to see more good news in this thread!
Very happy for you and nervous at the same time. Interviewed 12/6 as well and haven’t heard anything back. Really hoping I see you in the fall **anxiety is at an all time high right now**.

Very happy for you and nervous at the same time. Interviewed 12/6 as well and haven’t heard anything back. Really hoping I see you in the fall **anxiety is at an all time high right now**.
I understand the feeling as I was feeling the same thing the last couple of weeks. One thing I found to help me keep my mind of things is preparing for the fitness examinations. Perhaps it may help you too!

Just got my waitlist email! I interviewed 1/28 so I was definitely not expecting such a fast response. So happy I cried happy tears in public:,)

Reactions: 8 users
Just got my waitlist email! I interviewed 1/28 so I was definitely not expecting such a fast response. So happy I cried happy tears in public:,)
Congrats! I interviewed that week as well, and have not heard back, so it’s nice to know that they are looking at applications from January now. Best of luck!

I wonder how do they review applications? Because some people who interviewed in Nov/Dec still haven’t heard back and some people who interviewed at a later date heard back already. I’m glad that they are starting to look at January interviewees’ applications though since I interviewed in Jan as well. Hopefully I’ll hear back soon..

I wonder how do they review applications? Because some people who interviewed in Nov/Dec still haven’t heard back and some people who interviewed at a later date heard back already. I’m glad that they are starting to look at January interviewees’ applications though since I interviewed in Jan as well. Hopefully I’ll hear back soon..
I’ve noticed it seems to be highly dependent on your admission coordinator …. One seems to be extremely slow compared to the other three….

I’ve noticed it seems to be highly dependent on your admission coordinator …. One seems to be extremely slow compared to the other three….

My admissions coordinator is Ms. Bowker. She usually responds to my emails within 5 minutes or less. It’s actually crazy… I will add that I sent in a letter of intent a month after my interview so I wonder if that had anything to do with my speedy decision

My admissions coordinator is Ms. Bowker. She usually responds to my emails within 5 minutes or less. It’s actually crazy… I will add that I sent in a letter of intent a month after my interview so I wonder if that had anything to do with my speedy decision
Yes, she is very responsive to email. But that’s very interesting. She is mine coordinator too and I interviewed before Jan 28, but still haven’t heard anything back. I’m worried 😟.

Yes, she is very responsive to email. But that’s very interesting. She is mine coordinator too and I interviewed before Jan 28, but still haven’t heard anything back. I’m worried .

No news is good news!! Definitely don’t worry yet. I think I just got news early for whatever reason. It seems like they were still on early December interviews

Has anyone been joined the FB group for USUHS 2026? I requested to join last week and it is still pending.

Just got waitlisted. Having read through this thread, this is the first time I've been happy to be waitlisted haha

Hoping for good news soon!

Also, is it just me or did the title and body of the email make it seem a LOT like a rejection at first?

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Just got waitlisted. Having read through this thread, this is the first time I've been happy to be waitlisted haha

Hoping for good news soon!

Also, is it just me or did the title and body of the email make it seem a LOT like a rejection at first?

Oh 100%. They had me in the first half not gonna lie

• Haha
Oh 100%. They had me in the first half not gonna lie
lol I don't know about that, they said "waitlist" right away and the followup with "having been recommended" put me in a good mood. Unless for some reason there are multiple formats for waitlist letters.
Although my heart did sink when I first saw I got an email from them, like I couldn't even see the subject line and I was like, "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap..."

lol I don't know about that, they said "waitlist" right away and the followup with "having been recommended" put me in a good mood. Unless for some reason there are multiple formats for waitlist letters.
Although my heart did sink when I first saw I got an email from them, like I couldn't even see the subject line and I was like, "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap..."

Hahaha I’m referring to the email itself not the letter. The letter was definitely very positive sounding!