• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

2021-2022 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanna point out that even though the price is steep, it’s pretty obvious why the school charges this tuition. Have you ever been to Dothan, AL or Erie, PA? That alone causes many applicants to apply since they wanna be in the 3rd largest metro in America as opposed to the middle of nowhere, which is where most DO schools usually are. On top of that this school sets up 3rd/4th year rotations for you so that you never have to leave the Chicago area and there is far more and easier access to research here. Being a DO still means you’re at a disadvantage to US MDs, but CCOM makes it far more easier for you to beef up your application with research, LOR, and audition rotations so you can be competitive for match without over complicating your life as a med student which is already hard. Plus it helps that it’s the 3rd oldest school and established.
Current M1 here. Just wanted to also point out that professors always tell us not to worry about matching residency because most students end up matching into wherever they did their rotations. Also with Rush and Loyola etc. being around 60k, an extra 15k per year isnt going to matter much when other things such as residency matching isnt a huge worry of ours. Ask me anything about the school, curriculum, tuition, quality of education and i'll give you my true and honest answer.

Reactions: 2 users
Current M1 here. Just wanted to also point out that professors always tell us not to worry about matching residency because most students end up matching into wherever they did their rotations. Also with Rush and Loyola etc. being around 60k, an extra 15k per year isnt going to matter much when other things such as residency matching isnt a huge worry of ours. Ask me anything about the school, curriculum, tuition, quality of education and i'll give you my true and honest answer.
Can you talk about your experiences so far with the curriculum and quality of education?

Reactions: 1 user
What do people usually wear on accepted student tours? Is it dress shirt and tie or is it more casual?

Can you talk about your experiences so far with the curriculum and quality of education?
The curriculum goes by a quarter system and is similar to undergrad where you have individual classes and individual grades for each class. The grading system goes by A, A-, B, B-, C, C-, and then F which is <70%. The grading system sort of sucks but a lot of professors are also Adcoms for residency programs in the chicagoland area (Lutheran General etc.) and they tell us that they've never looked at a students pre-clinical grades (first 2 years) A/B/C is all fine just dont fail a class is their recommendation. It is the 3rd oldest DO school so it has a solid educational curriculum and they know exactly how to put their students into residency (given their 98.5% residency placement rate) so consider this school as an old and well established college of medicine with great connections to most hospitals in the chicagoland area. I feel like some classes (i.e. anatomy) might be unreasonably hard but idk because i dont have any other school to compare it too. Regardless classes are taught in a lecture style. What's really nice is that professors for each class make something called "note packets" which is basically just a condensed google doc of 7-10 pages for each exam that has every term and definition that you need to know for the exam which is EXTREMELY helpful. Lectures are recorded so no need to attend in person. If you have any specific questions let me know!

Reactions: 1 users
The curriculum goes by a quarter system and is similar to undergrad where you have individual classes and individual grades for each class. The grading system goes by A, A-, B, B-, C, C-, and then F which is <70%. The grading system sort of sucks but a lot of professors are also Adcoms for residency programs in the chicagoland area (Lutheran General etc.) and they tell us that they've never looked at a students pre-clinical grades (first 2 years) A/B/C is all fine just dont fail a class is their recommendation. It is the 3rd oldest DO school so it has a solid educational curriculum and they know exactly how to put their students into residency (given their 98.5% residency placement rate) so consider this school as an old and well established college of medicine with great connections to most hospitals in the chicagoland area. I feel like some classes (i.e. anatomy) might be unreasonably hard but idk because i dont have any other school to compare it too. Regardless classes are taught in a lecture style. What's really nice is that professors for each class make something called "note packets" which is basically just a condensed google doc of 7-10 pages for each exam that has every term and definition that you need to know for the exam which is EXTREMELY helpful. Lectures are recorded so no need to attend in person. If you have any specific questions let me know!
do you know how this school compares to DMU COM for students interested in surgical specialties? I'm ok with General Surgery

has anyone went to the zoom virtual information seminars for this school? do we put our cameras on?

do you know how this school compares to DMU COM for students interested in surgical specialties? I'm ok with General Surgery
From what I remember while comparing them last year, they're fairly similar (both avg under 10 per class over the last few years). If someone thinks/knows otherwise, please chime in.

If you need hard numbers, you can always sift through the DO match list threads and compare directly. But comparing match lists is a controversial topic, to say the least.

My 2c is that you could match gen surg from either and both are solid programs. It would likely be more up to you and how you perform, than which of those two schools you choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
@ripplesinthesea tell everyone how much you love paying 115k per year 🤧
Of course, cost needs to be seriously considered when choosing schools. There is no doubt that CCOM is expensive. Every individual is different in the amount they take out outside of tuition. Some people in my class are living at home, others are receiving tuition scholarships in exchange for service. Personally, I think the COA of all medical schools is appalling. These forums are most helpful when prospective students connect about the school. There is no need to come on here and blast current students or applicants, especially if you are not even applying to this school. Such animosity towards potential future colleagues will not serve you well in this path. To everyone else-good luck in your application to CCOM!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Why you so salty? Please leave this post if you have nothing nice to say.
I honestly do not see that much of saltiness in their post. People are allowed to complain about unreasonably high tuition costs. Jeez. The Stockholm syndrome is real here.

I honestly do not see that much of saltiness in their post. People are allowed to complain about unreasonably high tuition costs. Jeez. The Stockholm syndrome is real here.
Sure they can complain. But why do it on the school specific thread? You’re only gonna find prospective students and accepted applicants communicating with current students about the program trying to find out info about CCOM. Bringing in this kind of negativity does nothing productive for this thread. These comments also come across as a severely jaded applicant and most of us here don’t care.

Sure they can complain. But why do it on the school specific thread? You’re only gonna find prospective students and accepted applicants communicating with current students about the program trying to find out info about CCOM. Bringing in this kind of negativity does nothing productive for this thread. These comments also come across as a severely jaded applicant and most of us here don’t care.
They're complaining on a school specific thread because this is one of the most expensive medical schools in the US. I don't see the issue. I think prospective applicants (like myself) need to be aware of this.

They're complaining on a school specific thread because this is one of the most expensive medical schools in the US. I don't see the issue. I think prospective applicants (like myself) need to be aware of this.
peanut gallery: Isn't this the most expensive school in the country not counting OOS folks attending state schools and paying OOS tuition?

If we talk about it maybe they will do something about it, that's how it works. I feel like the students don't fight for lower tuition costs enough for the school to even consider lowering it. They increase the cost every year by like 5%. Something needs to be done about it, and yea I think its totally fine to complain on this thread about the cost because where else would you do it. What I don't agree with is bashing other students like someone did earlier, but complaining about the cost is perfectly reasonable and should be done so the school notices.

• Care
Is CCOM still sending out II? I have been complete since 9/14..

Definitely! They said at my interview that they were about 1/3 of the way through
When did you complete? if you dont mind me asking? Im worried I got screen out bc of CARS 123 :(

When did you complete? if you dont mind me asking? Im worried I got screen out bc of CARS 123 :(
My turn around was pretty quick (complete in September, II in October), but I've seen others that got II in October and were complete in July! I think it really depends, so hang in there :) I'm in the same position at many other schools I applied to, so I know it's hard not to go crazy with nerves!!

As a second year at CCOM that has thought a lot about the tuition here, I can tell you that indeed it is a bit of a bummer knowing that I go to one of the most (if not the absolute most) expensive medical school in the country. However, it is a good school that does have benefits not offered by many other osteopathic schools that help me stomach the tuition. I also got to stay closer to family, and for me I felt that the extra 100-150k (COA + interest) is worth it (I was looking at two other osteopathic schools with 50-55k tuition). To say that that extra expense is going to leave me struggling to pay back my debt unless I go into the highest paying field is just not true. It would be nice to have a 400k to 500k paying job to keep the debt to income ratio 1:1, but a 2:1 debt to income ratio is just fine and with smart choices (not buying the expensive car/house right away) the debt can be eliminated. I will probably try to avoid some of the bottom tier paying specialties to keep that ratio 2:1 or better. (I am fortunate enough to have no undergrad debt which helps) Then you have various forgiveness programs that can also be options too! For me, the rotations, research, higher student body statistics, and proximity to family were enough for me to take the extra tuition. That being said, please think carefully! There are times where I feel frustration because of the tuition, and I know many of my classmates feel bitter at times as well so make sure you have good reasons! Please reach out to me if you have questions with anything about applying to CCOM or med school in general.

Accepted! Interviewed 11/8. Missed the call but they left a voicemail, sent an email, and granted access to the accepted students checklist.

Accepted! Interviewed 11/8. Missed the call but they left a voicemail, sent an email, and granted access to the accepted students checklist.
congrats! when were you complete?

Accepted today! Interviewed 11/3. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Same! So honored :) Congrats to you as well!

Anyone else receive physical mail telling them to apply here? It took me a few weeks between to complete my secondary, so they must have sent it as a reminder

Maybe this is where all that tuition money goes haha

Anyone else receive physical mail telling them to apply here? It took me a few weeks between to complete my secondary, so they must have sent it as a reminder

Maybe this is where all that tuition money goes haha
yea i got one telling me to submit my secondary lol

Could a current student please DM me! I got accepted to this school and I am highly considering attending it, but I just have a couple of questions I would like to be answered. Thanks so much in advance :)

Accepted Yesterday! interviewed 10/27, IS

Reactions: 2 users
Is there anywhere we can look at previous match lists for this school? All I could find on the website were specialty placements

Got the pre-II R, have 4 MD interviews coming up though so CCOM can shove it

Last edited:
Got the r today. 506/3.8. Canadian applicant
Really sorry to hear that. Ill probs be on the same boat since I have similar stats lol and also Canadian. When were you marked complete?

Got an R today as well! Canadian, 518/3.8 lol. I'm only excited because it's the first correspondance from any medical school in a while :D o_O

Got an R today as well! Canadian, 518/3.8 lol. I'm only excited because it's the first correspondance from any medical school in a while :D o_O
Sorry to hear that! Also been waiting to hear back from schools lol. When were you complete?