2021-2022 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know till which month does Midwestern sends out interview invitations?
They sent out IIs as late as April last cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Received an interview invite. MCAT 505 and high GPA. I have an acceptance at another, cheaper, "top tier" DO school and I don't think I can justify the cost of tuition here so I will be withdrawing. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Received an interview invite. MCAT 505 and high GPA. I have an acceptance at another, cheaper, "top tier" DO school and I don't think I can justify the cost of tuition here so I will be withdrawing. Hope it goes to one of you!
When were you marked complete? Still radio silence from them

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning. I also have another acceptance at a “top” DO school that is cheaper as well but rotations not as good. Does CCOM’s rotation quality justify the cost and worth attending the interview?

II this morning. I also have another acceptance at a “top” DO school that is cheaper as well but rotations not as good. Does CCOM’s rotation quality justify the cost and worth attending the interview?
I declined an II to the other Midwestern based on the cost. I wouldn't take out that much, but that's just me.

I was wondering the same thing. Honestly, if you are going into any sort of primary care then I would say no.
I personally couldn't take the anxiety that I would have knowing how much debt I would be in. It would put a lot of pressure on me to go into a higher paying specialty like surgery and really, the only reason to justify the cost is if you are for sure gunning for a top specialty, in my opinion. most people change their minds though once they realize the amount of work needs to be put in so there is inherently a risk.

I was wondering the same thing. Honestly, if you are going into any sort of primary care then I would say no.

I personally couldn't take the anxiety that I would have knowing how much debt I would be in. It would put a lot of pressure on me to go into a higher paying specialty like surgery and really, the only reason to justify the cost is if you are for sure gunning for a top specialty, in my opinion. most people change their minds though once they realize the amount of work needs to be put in so there is inherently a risk.
Ya that makes sense. Atm I’m not interested in primary care but I’m also not shooting for neurosurg and Derm type stuff. It’s just the step becoming p/f makes me wonder that extra tuition could be worth it because the opportunities ccom provides over most DO schools.

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but my son received an interview call from IL Tech's BS/DO Dual Admission program. And if I understand this correct, his interview will be taking place at Midwestern.

Do we know what's the interview format? Is it Traditional/Panel or MMI or Casper etc?

Thanks

I’m an accepted student but I’m starting to freak out and panicking about the tuition, can some current student please please dm me about how they are planning to pay/loans and stuff

Our son received an interview call from the IL Tech's BS/DO Dual Program and I think his interview will be taken at CCOM. Do you know what's the interview format like? Is it Traditional/Panel? MMI? Casper, etc?

Thanks

Our son received an interview call from the IL Tech's BS/DO Dual Program and I think his interview will be taken at CCOM. Do you know what's the interview format like? Is it Traditional/Panel? MMI? Casper, etc?

Thanks
@DulQa I suggest you ask in this forum: hSDN
This is where high school students who may apply to BS/MD or BS/DO make their posts.

Better yet, could your son start his own SDN account?

Thanks
I did my undergrad and grad programs at the Illinois Institute of Technology. I recommend you reach out to Dr. Kathryn Spink. She is the liaison between the university and Midwestern and the chair of the premed committee and she is excellent about answering questions. It’s a really nice joint program too, many of my friends did it

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my undergrad and grad programs at the Illinois Institute of Technology. I recommend you reach out to Dr. Kathryn Spink. She is the liaison between the university and Midwestern and the chair of the premed committee and she is excellent about answering questions. It’s a really nice joint program too, many of my friends did it

Thanks.

I did call Kathryn Spink and Yujie Huang and left voicemails but haven't heard back just yet.
Is it possible that you can find out from any of your friends to know what was the interview format like for the Dual BS/DO program? We are just trying to see if it's traditional/panel or MMI type, so that he preps accordingly.

Thanks again

Thanks.

I did call Kathryn Spink and Yujie Huang and left voicemails but haven't heard back just yet.
Is it possible that you can find out from any of your friends to know what was the interview format like for the Dual BS/DO program? We are just trying to see if it's traditional/panel or MMI type, so that he preps accordingly.

Thanks again
Congratulations on your son’s interview invite for BS/DO program. I am sure you are a very proud parent and want to support him as much as possible and set him up for success. However, once they graduate high school this type of direct involvement can hurt his case and can be looked down upon. If you are reaching out to a school yourself to gather information it could have a negative impact on his application and can reflect on his ability to be proactive and independent. Unless by we you meant your son reached out to the school, I would suggest that you support him by providing resources, encouragement and guidance but let him take the lead with the rest! Wish him and you all the best!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone with a mcat below 505 received an II yet?
Just wanting to post this again, I don’t know if anyone responded. Has anyone on here with MCAT lower than that been sent an interview or gotten accepted?

I read this in last years thread. Are lectures recorded and uploaded instead of livestream? Any OMS-1 can confirm the same? I am assuming exams are on campus as-well.

>>>[2020:2021]Lectures are recorded. This year, they have been good about posting them within a day or two, but I am not sure how diligent they will be next year. Lectures have also been live steamed this year, but administration just announced today that no lectures will be live streamed next year and all examinations will be required to be taken on campus. There is strong student opposition to both of these decisions, so maybe that will change, but don't hold your breath. The decision was made by administration on the university-wide level who have never been responsive to CCOM students.
Current student. Can confirm lectures are recorded and uploaded. No livestreaming. Exams are on campus. Student senate is meeting with the President tomorrow to discuss things like space for students, Covid testing, and alternate testing dates/procedures for people who have to quarantine.

Interviewed on 1/13, anyone know when they are sending out decisions for January interviewees??

Interviewed on 1/13, anyone know when they are sending out decisions for January interviewees??
Interviewed yesterday, was told the committee only meets once per month, but they didn't know the date of the next meeting :/

I hope I hear back. I'm still waiting and have similar general stats. When did you finish your secondary?

Interviewed 1/25, just got the alternate list email. :(

Interviewed 1/25, just got the alternate list email. :(
+2, they said on my interview date that they were halfway through the season so it was a good time to interview. Seems like we're getting hit with them post-II WLs though

How do you withdraw from this school after you've already paid a deposit?

Quick question....does CCOM deny people post-interview or are the options alternate list or acceptance?

Interviewed 1/12, accepted 1/27!!

Reactions: 3 users
Quick question....does CCOM deny people post-interview or are the options alternate list or acceptance?
There is an alternate list. So post-interview, you can be rejected, placed on the alternate list, or accepted.

Can anyone speak on their interview experience? Have one coming up

Can anyone speak on their interview experience? Have one coming up
Interviewed virtually, the day started at 8am and ended at about 1pm (central time). Overall was fairly unimpressed with the interview day as opposed to other virtual interviews, but basically there was a brief "ice breaker" with all the interviewees, then a very brief presentation from one of the deans (the schedule said it was supposed to be an hour but it was only 30 mins and felt very rushed). It is only one 30-minute interview with 2 interviewers (mine was one faculty member and one student) and they should let you know who will be interviewing you a few days before your interview day. Depending on your interview slot, you'll have some downtime where they ask you to leave the Zoom lobby. After everyone has interviewed, there was a 30 minute Q&A session with student ambassadors which honestly was not very helpful, at least in my opinion, because all the ambassadors in my session were first-year students who couldn't really answer questions about anything other than what it's like to be a first-year student.

I will say though that everyone was kind and the overall vibe of the interview day was very laid-back and not stressful at all. Good luck!!

Last edited:
For those who interviewed in Feb, does anyone have a date they were told they would hear by?

For those who interviewed in Feb, does anyone have a date they were told they would hear by?
I interviewed recently and they said we'd hear by the end of the month. Apparently the committee is meeting the last week of Feb so we should hear around then.

Got the pre-II R yesterday, was complete 9/7. Best of luck to everyone!

Accepted off the alternate list today!! Interviewed on 1/13

• Love
Reactions: 2 users