2021-2022 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Lord_Have_MRSA for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 characters)
2. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. I'm trying to prewrite my secondary for this school but I'm really at a loss for the "Why us" question. The school's website is incredibly generic and I've had no luck finding any help in previous year's threads. How do I go about writing anything that's substantial with next to nothing to go off of?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received OOS. Verified 5/21.
@Goro

Secondary Prompts:
1. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary Received? , OOS, Verified 6/7
I have access to the CCOM portal, but it does not let me access the supplemental application? Have any of you run into this

Secondary Received? , OOS, Verified 6/7
I have access to the CCOM portal, but it does not let me access the supplemental application? Have any of you run into this
Admissions drop-down > Pre-accepted > Supplemental Application should take you to it

Just got an automated email saying they're having trouble with their secondary portal. I haven't even received the secondary invite yet..but if you're having technical issues that's why!

Reactions: 1 users
Why the tag??
SDN lore has it that it's good luck to tag Goro in your DO posts.

For real though, I'm assuming they thought you were a moderator and could update the original post with the secondary prompts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all I have a question about submitting letters to Midwestern, I went the committee letter route with my school so my science teachers and my DO letter writer have all submitted to my pre health committee and thats supposed to be sent to AACOMAs. Does anyone know if this is ok? I am now seeing that Midwestern requires just two and it doesn't say anything about a committee letter...

Hey y'all I have a question about submitting letters to Midwestern, I went the committee letter route with my school so my science teachers and my DO letter writer have all submitted to my pre health committee and thats supposed to be sent to AACOMAs. Does anyone know if this is ok? I am now seeing that Midwestern requires just two and it doesn't say anything about a committee letter...
SAME !!!!

• Wow
Hi all. I'm trying to prewrite my secondary for this school but I'm really at a loss for the "Why us" question. The school's website is incredibly generic and I've had no luck finding any help in previous year's threads. How do I go about writing anything that's substantial with next to nothing to go off of?
Honestly I had to do some deep digging for this one too. If you go through past SDN and reddit posts (like years ago), they'll list some pros and cons of this school versus others, which I found helpful. You can also look up news articles about the school and their website to see what they advertise most.

Secondary Received OOS. Verified 5/21.
@Goro

Secondary Prompts:
1500 with spaces right?

Anyone know if they offer fee waivers for the secondary?
Also why does it say my letters of recommendation are "expected".
I submitted more than 2 letters on AACOMAS so will we get to select which letters to choose?

The website sucks. There was something about an interactive learning style... does CCOM use PBL? I really love the idea of having a diverse patient population and the ability to go out to the greater Chicago area for elective rotations.

Anyone know if they offer fee waivers for the secondary?
Also why does it say my letters of recommendation are "expected".
I submitted more than 2 letters on AACOMAS so will we get to select which letters to choose?
+1
On the website it says: "Letters of recommendation are not automatically uploaded when we receive your application. Please allow up to two weeks for the processing of your application documents."
Does expected mean processing?

Where do I access the supplemental application? I got an email from CCOM saying that they resolved their technical issues but I'm not sure where to find the secondary application.

Where do I access the supplemental application? I got an email from CCOM saying that they resolved their technical issues but I'm not sure where to find the secondary application.
mine was in the spam folder of my email

Reactions: 3 users
+1
On the website it says: "Letters of recommendation are not automatically uploaded when we receive your application. Please allow up to two weeks for the processing of your application documents."
Does expected mean processing?
Update: letter status changed to received

Update: letter status changed to received
Did you already submit the secondary application to see the status change from expected to receive? I am working on the secondary application this week, however, I was not sure about these letters.

Is it inappropriate to email office of admissions and ask for their sites for clinical rotations? I don't see this anywhere

Is it inappropriate to email office of admissions and ask for their sites for clinical rotations? I don't see this anywhere
June 16th I got an email from the Office of Admissions about the school and at the end, the email said:

"The Midwestern University Office of Admission's staff is here to assist you in the admissions process. If you have any questions at all about the process or about our university, please feel free to contact our office for assistance."

So I think they actually encourage questions.

does anyone know if just takes time for it to say that letters and MCAT scores are received?

June 16th I got an email from the Office of Admissions about the school and at the end, the email said:

"The Midwestern University Office of Admission's staff is here to assist you in the admissions process. If you have any questions at all about the process or about our university, please feel free to contact our office for assistance."

So I think they actually encourage questions.
Thank you. You never know with some medical schools.

Did you already submit the secondary application to see the status change from expected to receive? I am working on the secondary application this week, however, I was not sure about these letters.
Yes, I submitted my secondary app and 1 day later the letters were marked as received and I received a confirmation email from the school.

Submitted my supplemental yesterday. The checklist says that MCAT and Supplemental have been received but letters are still "Expected". I'll wait a week or two before sending them an email if those are not in by then... Not sure if it's because I used interfolio? Probably just processing.

Submitted my supplemental yesterday. The checklist says that MCAT and Supplemental have been received but letters are still "Expected". I'll wait a week or two before sending them an email if those are not in by then... Not sure if it's because I used interfolio? Probably just processing.
Same thing for me, I used interfolio as well and submitted on day 1 but still say expected

For the resume/CV, is it better to submit a 1-page condensed version or make it multiple pages with ALL of my activities?

hey guys, I read somewhere or reddit or SDN that CCOM has multiple weekly exams but I can't find that info anywhere on their website. I'm trying to include that on my secondaries but i'm having a hard time referencing that. does anyone know if this thing is even true?

hey guys, I read somewhere or reddit or SDN that CCOM has multiple weekly exams but I can't find that info anywhere on their website. I'm trying to include that on my secondaries but i'm having a hard time referencing that. does anyone know if this thing is even true?

Spoke with a CCOM student a couple weeks ago. It is true. He told me he’s got like 2-3 short exams a week instead of having the traditional study for a month huge exam at end of month type thing

Reactions: 1 users
Spoke with a CCOM student a couple weeks ago. It is true. He told me he’s got like 2-3 short exams a week instead of having the traditional study for a month huge exam at end of month type thing
Does he say he likes it or does that make it more stressful? Thanks for sharing!

currently waitlisted from last cycle, but submitted my secondary on the 18th! hoping for better luck this cycle if I don't get pulled from the WL. :)

Just for reference, my application is fully received; submitted the essays on Sunday (6/20), everything is marked as received as of today (6/22)

Just for reference, my application is fully received; submitted the essays on Sunday (6/20), everything is marked as received as of today (6/22)
+1 just got that confirmation email today as well.

OOS. Letters and MCAT received 6/22. Secondary submitted yesterday and just received the app completion email a moment ago. Fingers crossed!

hey guys any advice on this: under my experiences section my computer autofilled and I accidentally put myself as my supervisor for one of my experiences on a college athletics team. does anyone have any advice on if I should send admissions an email to correct this? i don't want them to think, that I think I am my own supervisor lol

any advice is appreciated
if I am understanding correct that's your primary app? Are you allowed to update your experience session after submission? If not then I guess it is better to just email the admission office with your ID and see...?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can we list an osteopathic medicine student for the first question or does it have to be a physician?