2021-2022 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how strict the LoR requirements are? I'm a non-trad who went to graduate school, but is 6 years removed from undergrad so none of my LoRs are written by professors from undergrad (though I do have two letters written by "classroom professors" at the grad level).
Wow, I didn't even realize that was a requirement! I'm 3 years removed so that's good to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how strict the LoR requirements are? I'm a non-trad who went to graduate school, but is 6 years removed from undergrad so none of my LoRs are written by professors from undergrad (though I do have two letters written by "classroom professors" at the grad level).
Per the website: "You may elect to submit graduate letters of recommendation for undergraduate letters in some circumstances, or when unable to acquire undergraduate letters." "If you are requesting an exception, such as waiving undergraduate or graduate letters, please contact the Office of Admissions at [email protected] or (414) 955-8246."

Although I don't have high hopes of getting in contact considering I emailed them a few days ago and haven't seen a response.

Reactions: 1 user
Per the website: "You may elect to submit graduate letters of recommendation for undergraduate letters in some circumstances, or when unable to acquire undergraduate letters." "If you are requesting an exception, such as waiving undergraduate or graduate letters, please contact the Office of Admissions at [email protected] or (414) 955-8246."

Although I don't have high hopes of getting in contact considering I emailed them a few days ago and haven't seen a response.
Oh awesome, I didn't even see this! I'll reach out to them about it via email so that I have it in writing. Hopefully, they'll get back to you soon!

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you should follow up with them today! I emailed them this morning and they got back to me very quickly (within ~1 hour or so)

I think you should follow up with them today! I emailed them this morning and they got back to me very quickly (within ~1 hour or so)
Actually I spoke too soon! They emailed me this morning as well. What was the response about the undergrad/graduate letters if you don't mind me asking?

Actually I spoke too soon! They emailed me this morning as well. What was the response about the undergrad/graduate letters if you don't mind me asking?
Awesome! For sure - they said that since I graduated 5+ years ago, they would waive the undergraduate LoR requirement for me and that I could choose what letters I wanted to use instead.

Awesome! For sure - they said that since I graduated 5+ years ago, they would waive the undergraduate LoR requirement for me and that I could choose what letters I wanted to use instead.
Since I'm only 3 years it seems like they won't be so lenient. Luckily I do have some professors from undergrad that have written me letters, although they may be dated for a a few years ago.

I don't know if there are any current students watching this thread but if there are, what are some things that attracted you to MCW?

As someone who's interested in primary care but has very minimal connections to Wisconsin, does it make much sense to add the other two non-Milwaukee campuses as choices? I see that those campuses mainly take Wisconsin residents or people with ties to Wisconsin. But I also talk exclusively about programs that are available at the Milwaukee campus for the "Why us?" essay.

For the "MCW values the unique backgrounds and identities of our incoming students. Please indicate if any of the following apply to you. Check all that apply." and the "Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community." prompts, is there any overlap for those of you working on both of these essays? I used my diversity prompt for both and just realized that is probably not wise...

For the "MCW values the unique backgrounds and identities of our incoming students. Please indicate if any of the following apply to you. Check all that apply." and the "Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community." prompts, is there any overlap for those of you working on both of these essays? I used my diversity prompt for both and just realized that is probably not wise...
I was planning on using the first one to just expand on the identity that I selected and using the second prompt as my diversity essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS applicant here can anyone tell me more about the campuses ?

For the "decision you regret" question, I really want to write about a time I said something prejudice in a school discussion. I grew from the experience over a year and came to deeply appreciate the culture. But my Casper score is 0-25 percent quartile (sad 🙁 but all of my mentors say I am an empathetic person) and I am worried that talking about this despite (a lot of growth) will bring up more questions.... I am thinking of just writing about failing a quarter. What do you all think?

For the "decision you regret" question, I really want to write about a time I said something prejudice in a school discussion. I grew from the experience over a year and came to deeply appreciate the culture. But my Casper score is 0-25 percent quartile (sad 🙁 but all of my mentors say I am an empathetic person) and I am worried that talking about this despite (a lot of growth) will bring up more questions.... I am thinking of just writing about failing a quarter. What do you all think?
Tbh, if I were you, I'd try and talk about something else maybe? Idk if talking about saying something prejudice might not give the admissions committee a good impression?

Reactions: 3 users
Tbh, if I were you, I'd try and talk about something else maybe? Idk if talking about saying something prejudice might not give the admissions committee a good impression?
Agree. Not worth to mention something like that. I’d also add that if you are considering talking about failing a quarter, you focus more on the decisions that led you there not actually the failing being something you regret

would talking about interacting with people from low SES be okay for the 4th question "Share with us what you have learned....."? I did clinical research and talked about healthcare disparities in relation to low SES

Agree. Not worth to mention something like that. I’d also add that if you are considering talking about failing a quarter, you focus more on the decisions that led you there not actually the failing being something you regret

Thank you for the advice. Clarifying question though: focus more on the decisions that led me there as in the decisions that led to the failure?

As someone who's interested in primary care but has very minimal connections to Wisconsin, does it make much sense to add the other two non-Milwaukee campuses as choices? I see that those campuses mainly take Wisconsin residents or people with ties to Wisconsin. But I also talk exclusively about programs that are available at the Milwaukee campus for the "Why us?" essay.
I have the same question. I'm assuming the two other campuses are specifically for Wisconsin residents but I'm not so sure

Hello everyone! I just noticed the advanced biology requirement... Do you think Genetics 251 or Biochemistry 2 would qualify this requirement? My concern is genetics is too low at a 200 level class, and the biochemistry 2 class is considered to be from the CHEM department on my transcript, even though it is offered as both biology or chemistry department. Additionally, I have intro to cell biology 253, but that runs the same concern as genetics. Thank you for your help!

It sounds like both genetics and cell biology should be fine! :)

Hello everyone! I just noticed the advanced biology requirement... Do you think Genetics 251 or Biochemistry 2 would qualify this requirement? My concern is genetics is too low at a 200 level class, and the biochemistry 2 class is considered to be from the CHEM department on my transcript, even though it is offered as both biology or chemistry department. Additionally, I have intro to cell biology 253, but that runs the same concern as genetics. Thank you for your help!

i'm using genetics! don't think biochem will count but maybe.

II received Milwaukee Campus 7/26 14:32

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone care to explain to me why people are constantly asking for others' stats if they get invited to the interview? I just don't understand how this information could help them in any way possible.

7+ year member and you still don't understand the value this info provides? Yikes
Rather than attacking me with 0 logic, explain to me how that info helps you as an applicant or getting an interview yourself.

Rather than attacking me with 0 logic, explain to me how that info helps you as an applicant or getting an interview yourself.
Also as a high school student, I made an account to do a research project back in the days. Really not sure what 7+ year member has anything to do with asking a question that no one can answer because there is 0 benefit :)

Anyone care to explain to me why people are constantly asking for others' stats if they get invited to the interview? I just don't understand how this information could help them in any way possible.
Also as a high school student, I made an account to do a research project back in the days. Really not sure what 7+ year member has anything to do with asking a question that no one can answer because there is 0 benefit
hey! congrats on checking out the forums as a high school student. i wish i would have been that forward thinking and engaged with the med school admissions process in high school! people ask about stats on people who got II for a host of reasons, imo some practical and others more psychological. i think practically some people try to figure out how the school is moving through invites, inviting more competitive or least competitive applicants first. i also think a lot of people just like to know because if someone got an II with a GPA or MCAT similar to their's, it makes them feel better in a way that they might still have a chance. none of us actually know anything lol, and won't unless an adcom magically comes in and comments here. but people ask the questions anyways, and sometimes it helps, be it practically or psychologically. don't know if that's the info you're looking for but that's my perspective!

Reactions: 8 users
hey! congrats on checking out the forums as a high school student. i wish i would have been that forward thinking and engaged with the med school admissions process in high school! people ask about stats on people who got II for a host of reasons, imo some practical and others more psychological. i think practically some people try to figure out how the school is moving through invites, inviting more competitive or least competitive applicants first. i also think a lot of people just like to know because if someone got an II with a GPA or MCAT similar to their's, it makes them feel better in a way that they might still have a chance. none of us actually know anything lol, and won't unless an adcom magically comes in and comments here. but people ask the questions anyways, and sometimes it helps, be it practically or psychologically. don't know if that's the info you're looking for but that's my perspective!
Well your answer is very obvious. It doesn't help you at all with getting interviews. Feeling better as an applicant doesn't help you getting an actual interview or getting A.

Well your answer is very obvious. It doesn't help you at all with getting interviews. Feeling better as an applicant doesn't help you getting an actual interview or getting A.
that's the TLDR summary of my post haha 😂😂 and very true! hope you have a great day!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
that's the TLDR summary of my post haha 😂😂 and very true! hope you have a great day!
your response is very admirable! To the person you are responding to, everyone deals with anxiety in different ways, feel like we all shouldn't judge each other and move on :D

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
your response is very admirable! To the person you are responding to, everyone deals with anxiety in different ways, feel like we all shouldn't judge each other and move on :D
Again. My initial question was how does these kinds of questions help you getting an II or A.

This is not the conversation I expected to see when coming on here today. Maybe we should all step away from our computers for a bit.

Reactions: 13 users
Again. My initial question was how does these kinds of questions help you getting an II or A.
Actually, you said, "Rather than attacking me with 0 logic, explain to me how that info helps you as an applicant or getting an interview yourself." So, I am telling you how it helps as an applicant. It is anxiety reducing for some. I am telling you it reduces anxiety or seems to reduce anxiety.

Reactions: 5 users
Actually, you said, "Rather than attacking me with 0 logic, explain to me how that info helps you as an applicant or getting an interview yourself." So, I am telling you how it helps as an applicant. It is anxiety reducing for some. I am telling you it reduces anxiety or seems to reduce anxiety.
Notice how I used "applicant" rather than a person. I am not talking about a subjective experience (anxiety reducing) of a person when I say it doesn't help an applicant. As an applicant, your single most important goal is to get an admissions/acceptance somewhere. Hence the word "applicant." Asking what scores others have means nothing to others because even if you have identical score, the person asking is clearly not invited. Therefore, it does not help the "applicant" because it literally does nothing. You might guess that based on the scores of the other person who received the II, that you may or may not get invited but again that has absolutely no relationship to you as an "applicant" getting an interview. Understood?

Notice how I used "applicant" rather than a person. I am not talking about a subjective experience (anxiety reducing) of a person when I say it doesn't help an applicant. As an applicant, your single most important goal is to get an admissions/acceptance somewhere. Hence the word "applicant." Asking what scores others have means nothing to others because even if you have identical score, the person asking is clearly not invited. Therefore, it does not help the "applicant" because it literally does nothing. You might guess that based on the scores of the other person who received the II, that you may or may not get invited but again that has absolutely no relationship to you as an "applicant" getting an interview. Understood?
Not understood, but not willing to argue with someone who wants to be a physician, but in this case is lacking empathy. Dehumanizing the application process even further is not needed. Applicants ARE people

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
Let's stop arguing guys...... both sides makes sense I think...

Dang I just came to check for the interview invite and got blasted with all this :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users