2021-2022 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call! Complete 7/8, IS (UCF undergrad), LM 76.2

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
How long did it take you guys to find out AORTA or not eligible or an interview status?

How long did it take you guys to find out AORTA or not eligible or an interview status?
For me, I think it was 2 weeks after I was complete that I was AORTA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we sure AORTA has any significance? I was AORTA less than 24 hours after submitting my secondary.

Are we sure AORTA has any significance? I was AORTA less than 24 hours after submitting my secondary.
I can't remember if it was from last year's thread or this year's, but someone said that the majority of applicants are placed in AORTA, so I wouldn't assume it has much significance.

I submitted my app on 8/8 and still haven't received an update. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for AORTA

Hey! Are there any current UCF medical students that I could talk to about the program?

May the praying kitty bless us all with IIs.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Please note that the KA's are M2 members who have a full curriculum and other extra duties to take care of those who have been selected for an interview AND any of their own interest groups. It is unfair to ask them questions otherwise as they are severely taxed most of the time. I have asked them to sign in to SND and post any answers if they choose to respond at all. This will benefit all of and answers as well as to hopefully reduce the same repetitive questions that would come their way via email. Of course I too am often available to answer questions on this forum.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS II received today! Complete 7/19

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
For the secondary question:

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.

Do we still have a chance of being interviewed/admitted if we have no ties to UCF or the state? I am truly interested in the UCF COM but am OOS.
Does anyone know what the best way to respond to this question would be if applicants don't have ties to UCF or Florida? Maybe stating that we don't have connections but briefly summarizing why we are so interested in the school?

just got the call for my II!!! OOS, complete 7/11, LM 75

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know what the best way to respond to this question would be if applicants don't have ties to UCF or Florida? Maybe stating that we don't have connections but briefly summarizing why we are so interested in the school?
Yes, this would be good to help us to understand why you decided to apply to UCF even if you do not have a relationship. This is a fairly important question when it comes to AORTA and the MSAC in their discussions.

No medical school can release decisions before October 15.
I thought the same thing, but that's not the case. The Oct 15th date is a guideline not a hard requirement. Some schools (Like NYU last year) sent out acceptances early. The school I interviewed at said decisions would come out early October for my interview cohort.

I thought the same thing, but that's not the case. The Oct 15th date is a guideline not a hard requirement. Some schools (Like NYU last year) sent out acceptances early. The school I interviewed at said decisions would come out early October for my interview cohort.
Agreed, the Protocols are guidelines, but most programs abide by them. Early decision candidates must be notified NLT Oct 1.

I might be blind but what is the structure of the interview? Is it only traditional or only MMI (or both?) Can't find any information haha

I might be blind but what is the structure of the interview? Is it only traditional or only MMI (or both?) Can't find any information haha
Traditional 1x1, 30mins. Interviewer does not have your transcript/schooling/metrics. Interviewer does have your entire Supp App, AMCAS Personal Statement and Experiences information. Interviewers are asking pre-structured questions but also have the responsibility to create a question or two of their own based on the information they have been provided.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if we have to have our cameras on and stuff for the virtual visit?

What is the attire for the virtual visit? Is it business casual or business professional? @REL

I would be happy to be a resource for you this year. I have been fortunate enough to be the founding Admissions Director when UCF was established. I came to UCF from the same position at USF so I have been in this role since the mid 90's. During my time at UCF I was also fortunate enough to spend 2 3-years terms representing the southern region MD schools to the AAMC Committee on Admissions. This is my second career after 21 years in the USAF with many years spent in Greece, Korea, Ft Meade, and also helped to establish Spec Ops HQ in Tampa prior to retirement.

So much has changed in the MD Admissions process since I began. In those "ancient times" applications were paper and sent via postal. The application process was often postal.....though I used the telephone for interview invitations (followed by postal confirmation of course). UCF still uses the telephone often in our process because we believe that in talking with our applicants we can achieve a level of rapport, maybe even some trust. We want to continue to be a program that is known for transparency and ensure that applicants know as much as they can so that they can make the best decision for themselves. We also want you to understand as much about the national process as you possibly can. As in the past, I also want to help maintain the integrity of this thread so that all exchanges are professional and meaningful.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
I would be happy to be a resource for you this year. I have been fortunate enough to be the founding Admissions Director when UCF was established. I came to UCF from the same position at USF so I have been in this role since the mid 90's. During my time at UCF I was also fortunate enough to spend 2 3-years terms representing the southern region MD schools to the AAMC Committee on Admissions. This is my second career after 21 years in the USAF with many years spent in Greece, Korea, Ft Meade, and also helped to establish Spec Ops HQ in Tampa prior to retirement.

So much has changed in the MD Admissions process since I began. In those "ancient times" applications were paper and sent via postal. The application process was often postal.....though I used the telephone for interview invitations (followed by postal confirmation of course). UCF still uses the telephone often in our process because we believe that in talking with our applicants we can achieve a level of rapport, maybe even some trust. We want to continue to be a program that is known for transparency and ensure that applicants know as much as they can so that they can make the best decision for themselves. We also want you to understand as much about the national process as you possibly can. As in the past, I also want to help maintain the integrity of this thread so that all exchanges are professional and meaningful.
Thank you for your help through this process. Would you be able to comment on the number of interviews that have been given to applicants thus far?

Thank you for your help through this process. Would you be able to comment on the number of interviews that have been given to applicants thus far?
About 20% of our total that is anticipated to be right around 500. Interview invitations will be steadily offered until somewhere around the middle of February.

About 20% of our total that is anticipated to be right around 500. Interview invitations will be steadily offered until somewhere around the middle of February.
How often do you send II to applicants in the AORTA EFI pool?

How often do you send II to applicants in the AORTA EFI pool?
@REL As well how soon after one assumingly become AORTA EFI would they be invited for an interview if they were to be invited? Thank you so much for the transparency with everything! It truly makes UCF appear to be very warm and inviting!

@REL As well how soon after one assumingly become AORTA EFI would they be invited for an interview if they were to be invited? Thank you so much for the transparency with everything! It truly makes UCF appear to be very warm and inviting!
Interview groups are formed by reviewing the EFI pool on a weekly basis. It is a large pool and interview groups formed that will generally reflect the diversity of the classes that we matriculate. That means that each group should have members that are Florida and non-Florida, different backgrounds, interests, degrees, UG programs, races, ethnicities, under-represented, disadvantaged, educational backgrounds, military, and many more.

Reactions: 5 users
Interview groups are formed by reviewing the EFI pool on a weekly basis. It is a large pool and interview groups formed that will generally reflect the diversity of the classes that we matriculate. That means that each group should have members that are Florida and non-Florida, different backgrounds, interests, degrees, UG programs, races, ethnicities, under-represented, disadvantaged, educational backgrounds, military, and many more.
I really admire your transparency. This is my second cycle and to be honest, the lack of transparency of the entire process has really been daunting. Sincerely, thank you.

As we turn the page into 2022 we can have lots of discussions on the AAMC process for program selection. There is not much good information out there and there are some programs that will attempt for force you to make an acceptance decision against the rules. We will talk about these things in the doldrums of January.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
To anyone who just got the review email: are you going to respond to it?

To anyone who just got the review email: are you going to respond to it?
Nah I'm not going to respond. I really appreciate the transparency of them telling us the exact date they will review us and when we should expect a call with the results, but omg I'm not going to be able to focus at all on those days 😬

Nah I'm not going to respond. I really appreciate the transparency of them telling us the exact date they will review us and when we should expect a call with the results, but omg I'm not going to be able to focus at all on those days 😬
Okay yes I felt the same way lol but I agree I’m going to have my phone on loud every day

• Haha