2021-2022 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any OOS interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the generous offer! Can you speak to the impact the loss of Advent and Orlando Health are having on rotations? Are you happy with how things are working out for you? Is the new hospital having a big impact?

When Advent and Orlando Health first dropped out, people were reporting that they were being assigned to HCA community hospitals, and that the training leaves something to be desired. Has this been addressed since it first happened, or is it still a thing people are complaining about?
I mean it is no secret that we lost Orlando and Advent Health which are 2 large hospitals out here in Orlando. It definitely shook some things up and we have decided to partner with HCA for our third year rotations. HCA also agreed to build us our new medical center which just opened earlier this year and we are already starting to rotate through there in OBGYN. It is unfortunate that we can no longer rotate at Orlando Health and Advent for 3rd year rotations but I know some 4th year students are doing electives/rotations there now.

This year, I am rotating at HCA hospitals for Internal Medicine/Family medicine, OBGYN, and Trauma Surgery. I have my anesthesia elective at the VA in Bay pines, as well as Psych at Bay pines. I am on my peds rotation at Nemours and the teaching there is excellent. I can't speak to the other sites as of yet but my peers seem to be enjoying them. Yes it is not ideal that we aren't able to do all of our rotations in Orlando and UCF knows this. I don't know if relationships will be repaired in the future as they haven't been repaired in the 3 years I've been here, UCF still matches well so its all a product of your work ethic. If you want to match at a competitive residency in a competitive field then you have to put in the work!

Reactions: 1 users
I mean it is no secret that we lost Orlando and Advent Health which are 2 large hospitals out here in Orlando. It definitely shook some things up and we have decided to partner with HCA for our third year rotations. HCA also agreed to build us our new medical center which just opened earlier this year and we are already starting to rotate through there in OBGYN. It is unfortunate that we can no longer rotate at Orlando Health and Advent for 3rd year rotations but I know some 4th year students are doing electives/rotations there now.

This year, I am rotating at HCA hospitals for Internal Medicine/Family medicine, OBGYN, and Trauma Surgery. I have my anesthesia elective at the VA in Bay pines, as well as Psych at Bay pines. I am on my peds rotation at Nemours and the teaching there is excellent. I can't speak to the other sites as of yet but my peers seem to be enjoying them. Yes it is not ideal that we aren't able to do all of our rotations in Orlando and UCF knows this. I don't know if relationships will be repaired in the future as they haven't been repaired in the 3 years I've been here, UCF still matches well so its all a product of your work ethic. If you want to match at a competitive residency in a competitive field then you have to put in the work!
Thanks for the insight. @REL did mention that they hope (and expect) to reestablish the relationships at some point, and that the pandemic had an impact on timing. I was just hoping to get the first hand scoop from someone like you (or, second hand, from your friends :)) as to what the actual HCA experience is, in contrast (hopefully) to the negative reports in the news and on SDN when this first went down a few years ago.

Please keep us posted as you progress this year. Thanks again!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So after becoming "AORTA" it says "Next status is either Interview Scheduled (after phone call) or Unable to Offer Interview (after email at end of interview cycle). Final Scheduled interview date is February 28.".

This may be exceedingly neurotic, but will they also send an email if we get an II? I get an insane amount of spam phone calls (>5 a day) from 407 area code numbers and have a spam filter that blocks most of them. Scared a future II may be filtered out as spam

We will always leave a message if we are unable to make contact via phone. Often we will also followup with an email as well if it was important.

Also I believe the email that you receive to tell you that your file is complete indicates that it may take up to 10-15 business days to review files and change a status. That being said it will normally be less than 15 business days.

Reactions: 3 users
AORTA today, complete 7/12. What does this actually mean?

It just means that you have all of the stats that will make you eligible for an interview. However, it doesn't mean that you will receive an II.

Reactions: 1 user
one of the senior members (I'm not sure if they are considered adcom) mentioned in the previous year's thread
The AORTA review is a much deeper review of all of your activities, background, skills, motivations, "fit" for our program, and much more.

@REL : How does the committee see students who completed pre-requisites at a community college (Bio, Ochem) but transferred to a 4-year university and did even better on the higher-level courses?

I've heard it is frowned upon to take the pre-requisites at a CC, in that case, would a strong MCAT help?

File complete at around 7/15, yet no AORTA status. Last cycle, I received the AORTA status in 4-5 days :(
Does this mean anything?

File complete at around 7/15, yet no AORTA status. Last cycle, I received the AORTA status in 4-5 days :(
Does this mean anything?
My file was complete on 7/13 and I don't have a decision either! They said 10-15 days so hopefully we see a decision sometime later this week or early next week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
lol watching the white coat ceremony live stream rn and feeling inspired!!! these ppl really be out here livin my dreams

• Love
AORTA!!!! Complete on 7/13

Last edited:
For the secondary question:

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.

Do we still have a chance of being interviewed/admitted if we have no ties to UCF or the state? I am truly interested in the UCF COM but am OOS.

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.

Do we still have a chance of being interviewed/admitted if we have no ties to UCF or the state? I am truly interested in the UCF COM but am OOS.
A full third of the class is OOS, so I am pretty sure the answer is yes. I also think @REL once said that the school has an interest in having its graduates fan out around the country spreading the word about all the awesome things happening at the school, so I don't think there is an expectation that every OOS candidate have a connection and plan to stay in the state post-graduation, like at many other state schools.

Of course, I could be wrong. Hopefully, @REL will weigh in.

If truly interested, apply. You have some places in the 2ndary to indicate your genuine interest in the program.

Hello everyone, I am a MS3 at UCF. If you have any questions about my experiences or would like to know more about the school, feel free to ask.

Best of luck in this application cycle!

Hello everyone, I am a MS3 at UCF. If you have any questions about my experiences or would like to know more about the school, feel free to ask.

Best of luck in this application cycle!
Thanks for the generous offer! Can you speak to the impact the loss of Advent and Orlando Health are having on rotations? Are you happy with how things are working out for you? Is the new hospital having a big impact?

When Advent and Orlando Health first dropped out, people were reporting that they were being assigned to HCA community hospitals, and that the training leaves something to be desired. Has this been addressed since it first happened, or is it still a thing people are complaining about?

The loss of Advent/Orlando definitely had an impact. Both the physicians at those hospitals and the medical students at our school aren't happy with the situation. My understanding is the relationship is being amended as we speak but COVID has slowed these discussions down.

I am quite happy with my rotation experiences, however. While we lost those hospitals, this is a not a new school with no connections to physicians in this area. Quite the opposite. You would be hard pressed to find an area physician not partnered with UCF in some capacity.

The HCA hospitals in this area have residency programs associated with many of their services (IM, OB, etc.). This means you stil go into an academic environment which is important as a rotating student. To be honest with you, I was concerned on this point initially but as I have gained clinical experience during my prior rotations, I think the training I have received so far has been more than adequate. I wanted to stay within the Orlando metro area and the staff here were able to accommodate me. In fact, I received nearly all of my top choices in terms of my rotations and the locations I wanted to be at. The experiences themselves have been fantastic and are exactly as I had hoped. Keep in mind, we have only completed two rotation blocks up to now and I am only able to speak to my own experiences so this is a limited sample size. With 119 other students, there are bound to be different experiences.

As for the new hospital, my understanding is rotations have not yet begun there but I can't be certain. I do know that rotations in certain services at the hospital will begin in October. I do not know if they have already started or not.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I have a quick question. Does anyone know if the 500 character limit applies to the "if you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program..." and "in this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B"..." questions?
Thanks!

I have a quick question. Does anyone know if the 500 character limit applies to the "if you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program..." and "in this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B"..." questions?
Thanks!
I assumed it did, and tbh my response sounds really incoherent.

Any information on when UCF COM will start sending interview invites to applicants?

Portal status updated to "AORTA - Eligible for Interview Selection"
Submitted 7/24

Last edited:
AORTA!!!!! Submitted 7/26 lesgooo!

I'm glad people enjoyed the gif! I have another one when I don't get an invite today - stay tuned.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
@REL Hello, I just wanted to make sure I understood the schedule for the interview. The interview day itself just consists of 2 interviews themselves, while the tour and information portion is covered at the visits at the end of the month. That means the only people we meet on interview day are the 2 interviewers correct?

Hello,

First-time poster, so not sure if I'm posting in the correct format, location, etc.

I'm about to submit my UCF application, but when I click Preview before I submit, I notice a problem. In my 4000 character "tell us about yourself" essay, the system keeps automatically lumping all my paragraphs together. Anyone else encounter this, and if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks!

Hello,

First-time poster, so not sure if I'm posting in the correct format, location, etc.

I'm about to submit my UCF application, but when I click Preview before I submit, I notice a problem. In my 4000 character "tell us about yourself" essay, the system keeps automatically lumping all my paragraphs together. Anyone else encounter this, and if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! As advised when joining SDN, we read the entire, two page thread from the beginning to see if the issue had already been discussed before risking clogging up a thread by asking the same question over and over and over again! Another useful tool is the search function. :)

Gotcha, didn't know! I'll check to see if my question has been answered already.

Gotcha, didn't know! I'll check to see if my question has been answered already.
Hint: It has been, or I wouldn't have tortured you. :) I was just trying to help you learn how to how yourself since you're a self-identified newbie.

Again, welcome to the forum! You're going to find UCF is probably the most transparent of all the schools, and their admissions administration goes out of their way to be helpful to us.

Hey, congrats! Did you receive a confirmation email after selecting your interview date?
After the call, I received an email with the necessary information to schedule my interview date. After I chose that, I did not receive a confirmation email, but the portal updated to show I successfully scheduled my interview.