2020-2021 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long does UTSW take to process LORs from TMDSAS? My committee letter was processed by TMDSAS on 7/29 but my LOR status at UTSW is still incomplete.

Members don't see this ad.

My TMDSAS application was transmitted last Thursday evening/Friday morning, but as of today I still haven't received their secondary invite yet... Meanwhile I got invites from all the other schools on Friday morning, and a friend said that they got it within/after a day... Has this happened to anyone else? I checked my spam box and trash, but nothing was there.

My TMDSAS application was transmitted last Thursday evening/Friday morning, but as of today I still haven't received their secondary invite yet... Meanwhile I got invites from all the other schools on Friday morning, and a friend said that they got it within/after a day... Has this happened to anyone else? I checked my spam box and trash, but nothing was there.

Yeah I think they have a little delay to process apps now. Happened to me as well but got it I think a few days later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an II! This is my top choice so I am ecstatic

edit - LM 77, complete 6/30

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Interview invite received as well!

Reactions: 6 users
II received!!! Super excited!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
for those that got II CONGRATS!!! yall wanna drop stats & submission times & etc.?

for those that got II CONGRATS!!! yall wanna drop stats & submission times & etc.?

Like 90% sure it was the auto invite since I submitted mine less than a week ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
well i submitted two weeks ago with similar stats and didn't get an interview so pretty confused

Was talking to a friend and actually I retract my statement, it might not be. Or at least it's in waves. Because he submitted way earlier than me, has better stats across the board, and his application is probably better than mine. Or maybe they just flipped a coin.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II Received IS!

4.0 (tmdsas)/522, Complete 7/28!

Was talking to a friend and actually I retract my statement, it might not be. Or at least it's in waves. Because he submitted way earlier than me, has better stats across the board, and his application is probably better than mine. Or maybe they just flipped a coin.

And they got an interview or didn't get an interview?

So I specifically addressed my academic discrepancies in my TMDSAS optional essay. Should I leave the secondary essay blank/write a small blurb about how I already covered this/rewrite the essay slightly differently even though it'll essentially be the same?

From what I've heard, I would say that you don't need to write about it again because they'll read about it in the primaries anyway

Is it possible that yesterday's wave of interviews is related to their Group 1/Group 2 system?

Is it possible that yesterday's wave of interviews is related to their Group 1/Group 2 system?
I would think it might be, but who knows honestly. From what I saw, the people who got IIs (and ofc Im not speaking for everyone who got IIs just from what I've observed), they had super high MCATs and GPAs. Some people who submitted this past week and weekend got that II and had high stats, so its a possibility for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students or admin/professors comment on Southwestern's curriculum?

I really liked the flipped classroom at Dell and can see that Southwestern has a team-based learning center along with some active learning opportunities.

Does Southwestern also used flipped classroom? I am also wondering how much time is spent doing more passive learning (lectures) versus active learning opportunities.
Hi! MS4 here. The curriculum is primarily lecture-based (not a flipped classroom) but there are multiple "active" learning experiences weekly (PBL and TBL sessions, colleges sessions with a physician mentor and a small group where you learn the physical exam, sim sessions, anatomy lab, etc. Not all of these are every week.)

As a word of advice as a fourth year, while pre-clinical curriculum is by no means trivial, it's not nearly as important as I thought it was when I applied to medical school. Third/fourth year is much more important!

For any prospective students looking at this thread, I'm happy to answer questions about UTSW either in this thread or over DM! :)

there were only 85 applicants with a 4.0
The way I've interpreted that table is that there were 85 people with between a 3.75 and 4.0, not 4.0 exactly. Is that wrong? My rationale is that the column furthest on the right is for people with <2.59, followed by between a 2.59 and 2.75, and so on.

I'm curious. For those in the first wave, were any not complete (but had secondaries in)? My school's committee letter is taking forever :/

The way I've interpreted that table is that there were 85 people with between a 3.75 and 4.0, not 4.0 exactly. Is that wrong? My rationale is that the column furthest on the right is for people with <2.59, followed by between a 2.59 and 2.75, and so on.
no, I think it's 85 with a 4.0. But it is not worth splitting hairs over who got an interview this early because they were in the high stats group or not, because at the end of it all interviews are your chance to show your personality, thought process, and enthusiasm, and the admitted students come from any interview date along the way.

Agree with @wysdoc. The GPAs are very high in Texas (UTSW - 3.89 median, UTMB 3.9 and so on). The fact that someone is invited early on does not preclude others from being invited later and admitted. People are being invited for interviews all the way into end of November and people who are interviewed in January are admitted. This applies to all the schools in Texas.

Reactions: 2 users
Does utsw ( or any Texan schools) send out rejection emails. I keep worrying about invites that I haven’t received and it’s stressing me out. I know the majority of invites are late August but still.

Does utsw ( or any Texan schools) send out rejection emails. I keep worrying about invites that I haven’t received and it’s stressing me out. I know the majority of invites are late August but still.

Schools typically don’t send rejections until the end of the cycles

Schools typically don’t send rejections until the end of the cycles
Any early rejections happen when one receives a secondary and does not file it by deadline - specific to those with secondaries.

Next update is given when all the interview dates are filled and they have none left to fill.

Last edited:
Just got UTSW interview. Kinda shocked bc im still not complete (waiting on committee letter). LM 78.3 (52x mcat, 3.6x gpa) IS. Submitted secondary on 7/2

Last edited:
Just received II! First one of the cycle wow I'm shocked. Submitted my secondary 7/31, LM 70.5, URM, IS.

just got a II!
IS, LM 73
submitted secondary and complete 7/30

Last edited:
Congrats to those that got II. Can y'all state when you were complete (or transmitted)?

Last edited:
II! My second II of the cycle so far. LM 68, URM, IS, unique EC's in relation to UTSW, complete 8/3

For those who received an II, did UTSW have your casper score already?

Got an II too!! First one this cycle wooo
IS, LM 73, transmitted 7/14

II received. transmitted 7/13

So happy. One of my top 3 schools (along with dell and McGovern)

Any OOS receive II? I was complete first day haven't heard anything :(

For applicants who are permanent residents, did you guys send in a copy of your permanent resident card? or uploaded it through the secondary app? or we're not required to ? help

For applicants who are permanent residents, did you guys send in a copy of your permanent resident card? or uploaded it through the secondary app? or we're not required to ? help
I didn’t have to provide anything of the sort. A few days after submitting my app, TMDSAS prompted me to submit the necessary documents to show my residency.

I didn’t have to provide anything of the sort. A few days after submitting my app, TMDSAS prompted me to submit the necessary documents to show my residency.

Thanks for responding. I initially sent my docs to TMDSAS as well for the initial residency confirmation. I guess my issue is im sort of concerned if my not getting an interview yet is because my app isnt 'complete' yet - PR card.

no, I think it's 85 with a 4.0.

I know this is a moot point, but I think it might be 3.76-4.0. If you look at the chart, there are 5809 total applicants who took the new MCAT, of whom 2344 are in the "4.0" column. I know TMDSAS doesn't do +/-, which does often inflate grades relative to AMCAS, but I don't think 40% of all applicants never got a single B. Although given how competitive the process has gotten, I don't think it would surprise me if that were the case.

But as wysdoc correctly states, interviews are all about personality, and UTSW, which sends out 1st round of II based solely on stats, would still rightly demand that future doctors have the temperament to be good doctors.

They sent me an email asking me to upload a photocopy of my green card, which I did. This happened immediately after I indicated on TMDSAS that I was a permanent resident though. The file was verified along with the rest of my application.

Could you please post the prompts for MSTP?

@TheDataKing Haven't seen anyone post them yet, here are the MSTP prompts:
  1. If you wish, please describe major hardships or adversity you have overcome to reach this point in your life (if none, please state “none”). (500ch)
  2. Why are you interested in MD/PhD training at UT Southwestern in particular? (500ch)
  3. Describe the type of research you are currently most interested in pursuing for your PhD training. You can be general or specific (e.g., genetics, biochemistry, Alzheimer’s disease, rational drug design, etc.) (500ch)
  4. List names of up to five UT Southwestern faculty whose research is of particular interest to you (refer to www.utsouthwestern.edu/labs for more information).

II OOS 519 3.99 Secondary sub 6/14

Reactions: 4 users
II received! IS 3.94/519, secondary received 8/7, complete 8/11