2020-2021 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any fellow weaklings (or strong people) have any tips for getting up to speed on upper body stuff? I haven't been able to do a real pushup since high school and am determined to get it this summer. I'm a runner and am fine for the sit-ups portion of the test, just have a really bad case of spaghetti noodle arms! Help me?
I'm the exact opposite - body built like a brick but can't run for crap. It sounds cliche but you do more pushups by doing more pushups. Add more variation - diamond pushups to target the triceps, wide pushups for the chest, pike pushups for the shoulders, deep pushups for the form, hand-release pushups, etc. Then add volume - kind of like the 100 pushup challenge. As a powerlifter, I would recommend bench press, strengthening your back/abs/obliques too. Dynamic stretches before your workout, static stretches after. Make sure you eat and rest well too. Time and practice makes perfect.

Oh, and progressive overload. If your muscles give out after 20 pushups in one session, aim for 1-2 more at your next session.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any fellow weaklings (or strong people) have any tips for getting up to speed on upper body stuff? I haven't been able to do a real pushup since high school and am determined to get it this summer. I'm a runner and am fine for the sit-ups portion of the test, just have a really bad case of spaghetti noodle arms! Help me?
Do a push up every time you refresh this thread in the coming months. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school provides a committee letter packet, but the letter writer apparently picks the "best 4 LOR's". Would it be prudent for me to let the committee know that USUHS definitely requires a clinical letter and the clinical letter writer's name/title? Knowing the process at my school, I am not sure if they will even tell me which letters they use for the committee letter packet.
I'm kind of stuck- should I be prepared to add additional letters on top of the committee letter on AMCAS?

BEFORE being verified? How can that be?

I guess they just have a list of students who applied here and sent it to all of them. They also said, “Supplemental material must be returned within 21 days from the date of invitation email notification. DO NOT wait for your AMCAS application to be verified to complete it.”

My school provides a committee letter packet, but the letter writer apparently picks the "best 4 LOR's". Would it be prudent for me to let the committee know that USUHS definitely requires a clinical letter and the clinical letter writer's name/title? Knowing the process at my school, I am not sure if they will even tell me which letters they use for the committee letter packet.
I'm kind of stuck- should I be prepared to add additional letters on top of the committee letter on AMCAS?

I would let them know the situation, and it would also not hurt to have your clinical letter be uploaded separately so you can use it for USUHS.

I just received my secondary as well. I applied last year, interviewed (thought it went great), and still have not received a decision on my application yet (2019-2020). It is mainly because I am an Army Reservist and have yet to get my conditional release packet (DD368) approval (allowing me to release from my current unit in the reserves to join active duty at USUHS), and the school doesn't make a decision on my status until they have it, unfortunately.

Here is a tip to fellow reservists who will be applying to USUHS:

1) START your conditional release packet (DD368) NOW, tell your S1, its a checklist of memos and paperwork you need to complete, and send up to the first general in your COC. It means goes to your CO, BC, BDE CDR, DIV CDR, and then a General. Yes. It is a long process. Do not wait. I started my process in September of 2019, it's JULY 2020 and I still do not have my packet signed.

2) You may work with a recruiter who might get the process moving along. The DD368 packet has a spot for a recruiter signature, you will need that to be filled, if you do not work with a recruiter then you may contact Ms. Joan Stearman, Director of Admissions at USUHS. She signed the recruiter block for me since I did not work with a recruiter (I should've though)

Overall, USUHS is my #1 choice, I loved my interview day and the visit last year. If you have questions about some of the pre-interview stuff I might have answers since I went through recently. But still in the same boat as you all, I hope we are all accepted and can see each other next fall!

Wear your masks and stay safe!

PK

Reactions: 1 users
+2, I tried to submit my secondary today but the portal won't let me. Is it because my primary still hasn't been received by them? I'm expecting AMCAS to submit my primary in mid-next week.

.... same here. Also, does anyone have access to the max height/weight requirements to pass the physical? I'm working on slimming down anyways, but I wonder what their requirements are.

+2, I tried to submit my secondary today but the portal won't let me. Is it because my primary still hasn't been received by them? I'm expecting AMCAS to submit my primary in mid-next week.

.... same here. Also, does anyone have access to the max height/weight requirements to pass the physical? I'm working on slimming down anyways, but I wonder what their requirements are.

For the first section, did you have something in every single text box even if it’s just “N/A”? That was preventing mine from submitting at first.

This was for two years ago but they follow the Army guidelines for screening and then your individual branch.

Last edited:

IIRC we got a sheet with the height and weight stuff on it as part of all the info we got. I think that was after we got an interview invite, but they send you so much stuff I can’t be totally sure.

So if my university sends out a committee letter, I just put "N/A" for every individual letter writer (except the committee info)?

Members don't see this ad :)

I've just been going off of the information provided in this document.

For the first section, did you have something in every single text box even if it’s just “N/A”? That was preventing mine from submitting at first.

This was for two years ago but they follow the Army guidelines for screening and then your individual branch.

Yeah, I put N/A in all the fields I didn't have an answer for. How did you fix the error on your half?

I've just been going off of the information provided in this document.

So as I understand it, you have to meet the minimum requirements for the Army to pass your physical, but the branch-specific standards apply after you've matriculated and been commissioned with a branch, is that right?

So as I understand it, you have to meet the minimum requirements for the Army to pass your physical, but the branch-specific standards apply after you've matriculated and been commissioned with a branch, is that right?

That’s what we were told two years ago when I interviewed.

edit: oh actually I think I remembered that wrong. It is based on your service for height and weight. The army standards are for body fat if you are out of standards for height and weight.

Yeah, I put N/A in all the fields I didn't have an answer for. How did you fix the error on your half?
I am having this problem as well, did you find a fix?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm blind. Left 3 boxes empty

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds reasonable. You go through the physical before the interview and you don't pick a branch until the interview, so I could only assume that you'll need to meet the Army requirements.

Don't quote me on this though, best ask @Matthew9Thirtyfive

Edit: It's a yes no for him - the PDF also mentions that Army standards are for body fat (if you exceed weight requirements)

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure but it sounds reasonable. You go through the physical before the interview and you don't pick a branch until the interview, so I could only assume that you'll need to meet the Army requirements.

Don't quote me on this though, best ask @Matthew9Thirtyfive

Edit: It's a yes from him

actually I think I remembered that wrong. It is based on your service for height and weight. The army standards are for body fat if you are out of standards for height and weight.

actually I think I remembered that wrong. It is based on your service for height and weight. The army standards are for body fat if you are out of standards for height and weight.

I'm interested in joining the PHS, so if I meet the height/weight standards for the PHS, I don't have to worry about the Army standards? But if I fail to meet them, then I have to meet the body fat % requirements for the Army, even though I'm interested in joining the PHS? Am I correct?

Update: I reached out the Commissioning Officer, and they said that we have to meet ARMY requirements (regardless of which branch you choose). The standards are here, listed on pgs 23-24.

Last edited:
I'm interested in joining the PHS, so if I meet the height/weight standards for the PHS, I don't have to worry about the Army standards? But if I fail to meet them, then I have to meet the body fat % requirements for the Army, even though I'm interested in joining the PHS? Am I correct?

I believe that is what our paperwork said yes.

Hi! On the secondary, for the security requirements section, do you need to include any speeding tickets? Not sure exactly what it entails. Also, is there a save button anywhere? I filled out part of application and then it was never saved but I don't see where to save it. Thanks!

Hi! On the secondary, for the security requirements section, do you need to include any speeding tickets? Not sure exactly what it entails. Also, is there a save button anywhere? I filled out part of application and then it was never saved but I don't see where to save it. Thanks!
I shared my speeding ticket incident.
It may sound weird, but it 'saved' when I actually clicked 'submit'. When you click submit, you'll see a notification pop up saying "Saved!" and from there, you have to click a button once more to actually submit the secondary.

However, I think you should save your responses on a separate document. I think it's safer that way.

Just got complete email!

Reactions: 4 users
Got secondary on July 10th as well without being verified, but I applied last year got an interview and placed on the waitlist.

Goodluck everyone, I'm rewriting all my stuff because I think there were some areas I need to better emphasize.

Just got complete email!
Did you get an e-mail after completing your secondary through the link USUHS sent? Last e-mail I have in my inbox from USUHS was on Jul 10 with the link the the supplementary app. I submitted the supplementary app on Jul 13 but never got a follow-up e-mail... just the "Thanks for completing your app" message after clicking submit.

Did you get an e-mail after completing your secondary through the link USUHS sent? Last e-mail I have in my inbox from USUHS was on Jul 10 with the link the the supplementary app. I submitted the supplementary app on Jul 13 but never got a follow-up e-mail... just the "Thanks for completing your app" message after clicking submit.

Took four days to get my complete email after submitting

I never got one and I submitted my secondaries on Monday, 7/13 (around 1600 EST). The confirmation page displayed "This notice is your confirmation that your Secondary Application has been received by the USU Admissions Office. Email confirmations will not be sent" so I just assumed that we don't get one.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey does anyone know if lack of military experience or military family ties would be a serious detriment to being accepted in USU?

Hey does anyone know if lack of military experience or military family ties would be a serious detriment to being accepted in USU?
I believe 60% of the incoming class has no prior military experience. It's only detrimental if you can't answer the "why military" question well (meaning, having ties to the military gives you more to talk/write about in your secondaries and interview). Almost all of the students that I've talked to have recommended shadowing a military physician too. You need to know what you're getting yourself into.

60% of their students don’t have military service but you probably should know enough about the military to properly understand what you’re about to get yourself into.

Hello, I am an Army veteran who is also applying this summer. If you can't even do 1 regular push-up, start doing push-ups with your knees down on the ground. Do that everyday and you will be able to build enough strength to do regular push-ups soon. Also, in my opinion, the best upper body exercise you can do at home is pull-up. Use a pull-up assist rubber band and do pull-ups every day until you can do without the rubber band.

There are many exercise programs out there. What works for me is a simple exercise program: after a proper warm-up, do one set to a failure, followed by 5-7 minutes rest. And do 4-5 more sets per one exercise.

Also, managing proper nutrition and resting are very important factors in strength building. There are lots of good information out there. Please do not fall for fitness gurus that try to sell you supplements.

If you would like to venture onto youtube for information, I recommend the following channels:

Starting Strength: Starting Strength

Alan Thrall: Alan Thrall

Barbell Medicine: Barbell Medicine

Although, these channels are centered on "powerlifting" and "barbell exercises," they have really good and relatively unbiased information on building muscle and strength.

In my opinion, the best way to build strength is doing barbell exercises such as bench press, deadlift, and squat. I recommend the book, titled "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I never got one and I submitted my secondaries on Monday, 7/13 (around 1600 EST). The confirmation page displayed "This notice is your confirmation that your Secondary Application has been received by the USU Admissions Office. Email confirmations will not be sent" so I just assumed that we don't get one.

Yeah I never received an email confirming that I submitted my application. But I did receive one that says all my letters were received and my file is complete.

Hello, I am an Army veteran who is also applying this summer. If you can't even do 1 regular push-up, start doing push-ups with your knees down on the ground. Do that everyday and you will be able to build enough strength to do regular push-ups soon. Also, in my opinion, the best upper body exercise you can do at home is pull-up. Use a pull-up assist rubber band and do pull-ups every day until you can do without the rubber band.

There are many exercise programs out there. What works for me is a simple exercise program: after a proper warm-up, do one set to a failure, followed by 5-7 minutes rest. And do 4-5 more sets per one exercise.

Also, managing proper nutrition and resting are very important factors in strength building. There are lots of good information out there. Please do not fall for these fitness gurus that try to sell you supplements.

If you would like to venture onto youtube for information, I recommend the following channels:

Starting Strength: Starting Strength

Alan Thrall: Alan Thrall

Barbell Medicine: Barbell Medicine

Although, these channels are centered on "powerlifting" and "barbell exercises," they have really good and have relatively unbiased information on building muscle and strength.

In my opinion, the best way to build strength is doing barbell exercises such as bench press, deadlift, and squat. I recommend the book, titled "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition."

Wow, thank you for this -- lots of really helpful information. I didn't even realize that pull-up bands existed and will definitely try that out. Really appreciate you writing all this out for me. Good luck this cycle!

For those also reapplying, how is rewriting your secondary going?
Are you answering the questions differently or are you highlighting the same points?

( I know the questions are different from last year, but they are basically asking the same thing)

Are you answering the questions differently or are you highlighting the same points?

( I know the questions are different from last year, but they are basically asking the same thing)

I completely rewrote mine!

Nope. Just be able to articulate why military medicine, why the military in general, and how you know they’re for you and you’re for them. Fit both ways is important here.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive Does USU have subsection cut-off for MCAT? I saw that some applicants with a sub 125 section were requested to explain in one of the threads from the previous cycles. And how does one go about explaining this?

@Matthew9Thirtyfive Does USU have subsection cut-off for MCAT? I saw that some applicants with a sub 125 section were requested to explain in one of the threads from the previous cycles. And how does one go about explaining this?

I had to explain my Ws, and it was just an email I sent to Mrs. Stearman. The only cut-off I know of is for the interview, and that's an overall score. That doesn't mean they don't have subsection cut-offs though. I'm not really sure.

Just got another email directing me to fill in my prerequisites

Received the "complete" email this morning. I submitted my secondary either the 13th or 14th, I believe.

I completely rewrote mine, I think Capt. Liotta recommended a complete rewrite of the secondaries.