2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate list as well. It took them 7 months to tell me this. I am extremely disappointed in DGSOM.
Is alternate list the same as waitlist lol?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top of the waitlist!!! I'm actually so happy given what this usually leads to.

Reactions: 1 users
Still haven't gotten an email. Interviewed in December. This is giving me anxiety...

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I got nothing as well. I interviewed in Jan

Reactions: 1 user
Acceptances are still going out per my email with admissions. They are just on the slower side...

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer here, but logically speaking WLs come after acceptances (i.e. good enough to be admitted, but the acceptances to fill the class have already been given out). It seems like they will just be picking people for the WL now and rejecting the rest?

Okay, I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer here, but logically speaking WLs come after acceptances (i.e. good enough to be admitted, but the acceptances to fill the class have already been given out). It seems like they will just be picking people for the WL now and rejecting the rest?
Might be true but my recent email with admissions said acceptances are still going out

Email explicitly stated that they are still reviewing interviewed candidates and acceptances are still going out. I’m holding out to hope y’all lol

Email explicitly stated that they are still reviewing interviewed candidates and acceptances are still going out. I’m holding out to hope y’all lol
My perception of the admissions team is that everyone has a different way of handling applicant questions. I think that some don't wanna let us down and will say things like "acceptances sometimes go out in june!" but that probably means those came from waitlist positions im imagining? We need more student input to see if that's actually true lol.

My perception of the admissions team is that everyone has a different way of handling applicant questions. I think that some don't wanna let us down and will say things like "acceptances sometimes go out in june!" but that probably means those came from waitlist positions im imagining? We need more student input to see if that's actually true lol.
I don’t think that’s true, I don’t think they would get our hopes up just because? I actually emailed with this admissions person before and she’s always been very helpful with her answers. She helped with my interview and my many pre interview questions. Never got the impression she wasn’t forthcoming

I just need this A or atleast a waitlist. Just want to get into medical school...

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I guess some people got As on last year's thread after the WL and R waves, but I just don't see how all of us would get As.

Didn't get anything +1
I feel like it is post-ii R after this...

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
pain. +1 didn’t hear anything
edit: interviewed in Dec

Last edited:
+1 haven't heard anything, anxiety is escalating :(

I think UCLA has been keen with the new Dean to not overenroll the class. That’s why they’ve been slow. That probably favors the waitlist this year.

I saw that 40-50% of the class comes from the wait list.

I feel we would have gotten R'd already, yea?
I didn't get a WL email and I interviewed in August. AUGUST. So It doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't have rejected me in last week's wave. I'm interpreting this as a positive sign without getting my hopes up because you just never know...

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
This also makes sense right? Around 300 or so acceptances total. A lot of those coming from waitlisted applicants. So maybe more than 100 waitlist offers with a good number being declined.

At this point to avoid overenrolling the class, which seems to be a problem previous administrations have faced, I think outright acceptances might be done.

A waitlist that grows and shrinks biweekly makes more sense.

Just my thoughts!!

Seems that none of us knows what they are doing. So, knowing nothing, here are a couple scenarios that seem plausible:

1) All As and WLs have been sent out. The rest of us will receive Rs in the near future.

or

2) They haven't finished making final post-II decisions for the rest of us, so there will be another wave of notifications (likely WL and/or R?) forthcoming.

edit: someone pointed out that last year there were a small number of additional direct As released after the bulk of WLs and Rs, so that could be a possibility as well for the hopeful among us.​

Last edited:
last year, additional non-WL As went out on 3/22

Reactions: 2 users
Seems that none of us knows what they are doing. So, knowing nothing, here are a couple scenarios that seem plausible:

1) All As and WLs have been sent out. The rest of us will receive Rs in the near future.

or

2) They haven't finished making final post-II decisions for the rest of us, so there will be another wave of notifications (likely WL and/or R?) forthcoming.
Yeah it would make sense that there is basically a reservoir WL group that gets formally pulled into a WL group that grows slowly with people getting taken off week by week.

This would help to keep from overfilling the class.

I think UCLA has been keen with the new Dean to not overenroll the class. That’s why they’ve been slow. That probably favors the waitlist this year.

I saw that 40-50% of the class comes from the wait list.
Mind if I ask where you saw that? I recall MSAR indicated their WL had 150 people, and they accepted 50 from it, which is less than a third of the full UCLA class.

(This, of course, is data from 2 cycles ago so things may be different now.)

+1 haven’t heard anything!!! I’m going to die
Edit: interviewed in SEPTEMBER AH

Reactions: 4 users
last year, additional non-WL As went out on 3/22
Yeah good point.
Mind if I ask where you saw that? I recall MSAR indicated their WL had 150 people, and they accepted 50 from it, which is less than a third of the full UCLA class.

(This, of course, is data from 2 cycles ago so things may be different now.)
UCLA overfilled their class the last two years. It’s in the forums. That might be why less people were taken off the wait list last year and the previous year.

According to a 2018 post apparently Dean Hall said 40% came from WL.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't just waitlist everyone then, instead of adding to it biweekly. The process is a mystery to all of us so idk

I just don't understand why they wouldn't just waitlist everyone then, instead of adding to it biweekly. The process is a mystery to all of us so idk
More As could be coming who knows. This was also just the first day of WLs.

Just putting my thoughts out there.