2020-2021 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a bit off topic, but do you happen to know where the majority of medical school students live at the Athens Campus?

summit, courtyard, falls, athens station are the 4 apartments many start off looking at. but w covid, and the new school, things might shift a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I'm new to this thread and the whole DO process... I noticed that the school website mentioned their MCAT range is between 488-520. As an URM, and OOS, would a score in the lower 490s truly be considered holistically? Everything else is great on my app.

Submitted the application for TCC after getting the email yesterday. Definitely see myself in family medicine and ohio for the long run.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted the application for TCC after getting the email yesterday. Definitely see myself in family medicine and ohio for the long run.
what did they ask in the app? I have yet to do it but I am on the edge about submitting it

what did they ask in the app? I have yet to do it but I am on the edge about submitting it

It took me about an hour and some change to do it, but just a few questions and why you feel like a good fit for the TCC program. I am OOS and lower end stats, 501 3.35 smp gpa, but some solid EC's/paper/ie.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, I'm new to this thread and the whole DO process... I noticed that the school website mentioned their MCAT range is between 488-520. As an URM, and OOS, would a score in the lower 490s truly be considered holistically? Everything else is great on my app.

that question might best be directed to the adcom. but surveying amongst SDN, i would imagine the consensus might be that lower 490s could make it hard to get an interview...but it also might depend on how great everything else is!

I think I see on the website that the range for entering class of 2019 is 489-520, but it's never really known if the 489 is someone admitted through one of their pathway programs, or someone that is well connected in some way.

OOS (Oregon) , completed 9/8, II received on 10/6 for Interview on 10/27

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
OOS (Oregon) , completed 9/8, II received on 10/6 for Interview on 10/27

I just emailed to withdraw from my interview. I have two acceptances for other schools that I prefer over OUHCOM and wanted to offer up my spot for someone else. Hopefully, somebody gets an opportunity quickly :)

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
I just emailed to withdraw from my interview. I have two acceptances for other schools that I prefer over OUHCOM and wanted to offer up my spot for someone else. Hopefully, somebody gets an opportunity quickly :)
you're too kind :)

Members don't see this ad :)
you're too kind :)

Thanks, but I just think it's the right thing to do :) .. we have all struggled in the pre-med world, and for those who have multiple acceptances, I think it's important we seriously reflect on if we would actually go to this school if given an acceptance over the ones we already have. It's nice to have options, but we shouldn't let our ego's desire to rack up the acceptances hold up other people from their future. The stress and anxiety of having to check your email every 5 min for an II is real!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone STILL waiting on their recommendation letters to be checked off? I submitted my secondary 8/1, checked in with them 10/1 and got the same "be patient email." It's been almost another month and still not checked off.

Is anyone STILL waiting on their recommendation letters to be checked off? I submitted my secondary 8/1, checked in with them 10/1 and got the same "be patient email." It's been almost another month and still not checked off.

For me, I submitted my secondary on 7/5 and they just marked my letters complete last week.

Me, but I didn't submit until 9/28.

is it too late to submit an app on aacomas, wait to get verified and apply to this school? GPA is fine, Mcat sucks but it falls on the lower end of their mcat range.

is it too late to submit an app on aacomas, wait to get verified and apply to this school? GPA is fine, Mcat sucks but it falls on the lower end of their mcat range.

I'd say no, it's not too late, but this is coming from someone who just added two more schools to my list this week because I panicked. :lol:

Aacomas verification takes maybe a day. At least mine did a month ago. The backlog will come with writing, processing, and completing the secondary process.

Hey guys! I am currently a first-year here at OUHCOM and really love it -even with all the COVID restrictions! I know this process can be long and arduous, just remember you are so much more than a pre-med or a set of numbers. Good luck with it all! Feel free to DM or comment on the thread if you all have any questions I can help with :)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Got the II earlier today! IS, complete mid-October if anyone is wondering.

PeculiarPeach, what's your favorite part of being at OUHCOM? What should I know going in to the interview?

• Love
If you complete the TCC track application and are not selected for that program, will they still consider you for admission to the regular program?

if you are accepted to the TCC track program and then decide that you want to pursue the regular 4-year program (prior to matriculating) are you allowed to switch?

Received a secondary out of state
499 mcat urm female 2.85 science 2.95 overall

I received the TCC secondary invite and just completed it! As soon as I finished I started getting paranoid about whether I mixed up the strongly disagree/strongly agree placement on the questionnaires. Why is my brain like this, haha.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I received the TCC secondary invite and just completed it! As soon as I finished I started getting paranoid about whether I mixed up the strongly disagree/strongly agree placement on the questionnaires. Why is my brain like this, haha.
I had the exact same reaction!

Seeing a lot of TCC invites...any II invites lately?

if you are accepted to the TCC track program and then decide that you want to pursue the regular 4-year program (prior to matriculating) are you allowed to switch?

When you interview for the TCC they consider you for admission in general and TCC. They rank everyone and in spring they start contacting those on the top of the list. From what it sounded like in the interview, you can turn it down then. However, when I got my general acceptance letter, it specifically says to email them before February if I don’t want to be considered for that program anymore. I’m not sure if you accept the TCC invite after that if they will let you switch considering it’s such a competitive program. They really want people that are serious about it. They do give you a decent window to change your mind at least. Maybe try reaching out to Jill Harman in admissions. She’s really awesome and could probably give you a better idea.

Reactions: 4 users
When you interview for the TCC they consider you for admission in general and TCC. They rank everyone and in spring they start contacting those on the top of the list. From what it sounded like in the interview, you can turn it down then. However, when I got my general acceptance letter, it specifically says to email them before February if I don’t want to be considered for that program anymore. I’m not sure if you accept the TCC invite after that if they will let you switch considering it’s such a competitive program. They really want people that are serious about it. They do give you a decent window to change your mind at least. Maybe try reaching out to Jill Harman in admissions. She’s really awesome and could probably give you a better idea.
Thanks for the response! That's a good enough time frame, I was just worried that if I decide after the TCC interview (if I get one) that I would rather spend 4 years in med school to explore other specialties then I wanted to be able to inform them that I am not interested.

this was a problem for me for so long and i called the number on their website, basically played phone tag and eventually left a voicemail for smoeone who literally fixed it for me the next day! so maybe try calling they were super nice and helpful

Thanks for the response! That's a good enough time frame, I was just worried that if I decide after the TCC interview (if I get one) that I would rather spend 4 years in med school to explore other specialties then I wanted to be able to inform them that I am not interested.

Ya I get it. It’s a big decision to commit too.

Hey guys! quick question regarding sending an application here!

I really like the program but I am wondering about two things: Is it too late to apply here and is it worth applying here as an OOS student?

I know they screen out of state for a secondary so if u get one u should be fine

Got the II earlier today! IS, complete mid-October if anyone is wondering.

PeculiarPeach, what's your favorite part of being at OUHCOM? What should I know going in to the interview?

Do you mind sharing your stats? Were you in-state or out of state?

does anyone know if you have to resubmit letters of rec from science professors if you're a reapplicant? i feel like having to ask either the same prof to write me ANOTHER letter or asking a different prof i barely know to write me one years after taking their class would just give me a generic letter and defeat the whole purpose

Hey guys! quick question regarding sending an application here!

I really like the program but I am wondering about two things: Is it too late to apply here and is it worth applying here as an OOS student?
last year i submitted my primary around november 10th, had all my secondary materials at the end of february (had an issue and got an extension), and still managed to sneak my way into the last interview - anything can happen, it's not too late!!

does anyone know if you have to resubmit letters of rec from science professors if you're a reapplicant? i feel like having to ask either the same prof to write me ANOTHER letter or asking a different prof i barely know to write me one years after taking their class would just give me a generic letter and defeat the whole purpose
AACOMAS doesn’t keep letters stored (AAMC doesn’t either), you would have to resubmit all of your letters. Also, if you are a reapplicant they want to see changes in your statement and essays.

For those of you who already interviewed, did you feel that you were having to explain the same things to all three interviewers or did each of them approach the interview from a different perspective. Just curious as to your experiences. I'm interviewing next week!

Finally got my complete email today 11/4... submitted secondary 8/3. Hope to hear something soon!

For those of you who already interviewed, did you feel that you were having to explain the same things to all three interviewers or did each of them approach the interview from a different perspective. Just curious as to your experiences. I'm interviewing next week!

The general flow of the interview as I experienced went like this:
1) General questions about your application (extra curricular activates / work experience / etc)
2) Questions relating to OU HCOM
3) A mandatory question each interviewer was required to ask the candidate
4) General chit-chat between candidate and interviewer

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today to the Athens campus, IS LM 65. Very excited about this opportunity!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users