2020-2021 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess OOS wont receive IIs yet? It looks like all the IS people received them first :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Late reply here but yes, that is exactly what they did. When I completed the secondary back in June, the Dublin prompt said "family" medicine. I got an email a few weeks after submitting that the word "family" had been erroneously included in the prompt, and I could re-write and resubmit my essay if I chose to. So I did.

Thanks for the reply. That's an odd error to make (I think they more likely just received negative feedback from someone who pointed out that not everyone in a DO program wants to do fam med). Did you receive an II after you edited the essay? It is strange that they reached out to only some applicants who wrote for the "family" question.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not totally sure.. but in the portal it says my app is under review by the adcom so must not make a huge difference? Idk lol
I wouldn't worry about it too much, I don't think it will affect II chances. I believe they interview for all three campuses under one system. But to make sure, you can email their admissions and ask for clarification.

Last year I applied and was complete on 8/13....applied this year around the same time and I'm still not complete....should I be concerned?

Last year I applied and was complete on 8/13....applied this year around the same time and I'm still not complete....should I be concerned?
I don’t think so. I think COVID has just really screwed everything up for everyone.

realistically speaking, is there any point in an OOS applicant applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS with family living in Ohio. Submitted 7/11 and my letters still have not been checked off.

realistically speaking, is there any point in an OOS applicant applying?
I want to say they mentioned at one of the open houses I went to they try to shoot for 80% IS? I think it all depends on who applies really. They have a big preference to those looking to stay in Ohio. But again, it really just seems to be how many from Ohio apply/are competitive to them. They definitely do take OOS though.

As an OOS applicant do you receive in-state tuition if you sign the contract?

App received 9/24, secondary received 9/25, submitted today 9/28! :highfive: OOS but in Michigan.

Interview is 9/29, they don’t provide date options, just give you a day. I emailed Admissions about meeting with a representative from the DO/PhD program and she let me know that my itinerary would be sent “in a few weeks” !
Good luck today!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck today!!!
Thank you! The interview day was fantastic, although a little long. I learned a lot and had some great conversations with my interviewers. Looking forward to hearing about my decision tomorrow :soexcited:

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! The interview day was fantastic, although a little long. I learned a lot and had some great conversations with my interviewers. Looking forward to hearing about my decision tomorrow :soexcited:
Oh wow, they said you would know that fast?

Interviewed today (9/29) and got the call about 2 hours after I got done!! Accepted to Athens!! :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
CONGRATS!! Do you mind telling us the format of the interview?

CONGRATS!! Do you mind telling us the format of the interview?
Morning started with student introductions and an information session with the Dean of Admissions. Went into presentations about financial aid, inclusion / diversity, and academic counseling. Last thing we did in the morning was a student panel that was incredibly helpful. I had a 30 minute lunch break and then and a 1 on 1 meeting with the program director of the DO / PhD program. After that I had my three faculty interviews, all of which were extremely laid back and fun conversations.
Overall, I left with a better impression of the school than I had going in. Incredibly low stress, it seems like they genuinely want everyone to be accepted. I was also very impressed with their brand new medical sciences building that’s going to be finished early next year!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Omg! I just got the email I’m accepted to Cleveland!!! Im so excited to join my #1 school!

I had the chance to interview last week for the TCC program, so I’d explain a little about my experience. When preparing for it I looked through blogs from the past few years and couldn’t find much info. The TCC is a 2 day interview, unfortunately they make you wait a week to find out lol. Sounded super intimidating, but it was very fun and relaxing. For TCC, you interview with someone from the program, someone from OU Cleveland campus because it’s out of Cleveland, you have a meet and greet with a couple students in TCC and then you meet with 3 people from both Lakewood and Akron (the 2 potential residency spots). You will either be accepted to OU in general, but you won’t find out till spring if you are into the TCC program. Apparently, they interview all they are looking at for the program and then rank you. The top 8 get in. So fingers crossed for that as well

• Love
Omg! I just got the email I’m accepted to Cleveland!!! Im so excited to join my #1 school!

I had the chance to interview last week for the TCC program, so I’d explain a little about my experience. When preparing for it I looked through blogs from the past few years and couldn’t find much info. The TCC is a 2 day interview, unfortunately they make you wait a week to find out lol. Sounded super intimidating, but it was very fun and relaxing. For TCC, you interview with someone from the program, someone from OU Cleveland campus because it’s out of Cleveland, you have a meet and greet with a couple students in TCC and then you meet with 3 people from both Lakewood and Akron (the 2 potential residency spots). You will either be accepted to OU in general, but you won’t find out till spring if you are into the TCC program. Apparently, they interview all they are looking at for the program and then rank you. The top 8 get in. So fingers crossed for that as well

Wow!!!! Good luck! Don't forget to tell us when you get the news that you're in the TCC. ;)

• Love
to anyone who interviewed recently, can you share what the first available dates were? Submitting secondary soon and hope I'm not way late (IS, top choice Dublin, LM 71)

Edit: also did anyone figure out what's up with the slow letter checking? I received secondary 9/16, and my letters have been in aacomas for a while, but still no check marks on the secondary app:unsure:

Last edited:
to anyone who interviewed recently, can you share what the first available dates were? Submitting secondary soon and hope I'm not way late (IS, top choice Dublin, LM 71)

Edit: also did anyone figure out what's up with the slow letter checking? I received secondary 9/16, and my letters have been in aacomas for a while, but still no check marks on the secondary app:unsure:

I interviewed 9/22. They mentioned it being the 1st interview, but I’m not sure if they meant for TCC or for all interviews. Either way interviews just started.

Maurelius, what campus are you accepted too?

I've been accepted to the Athens campus! I really want to do the DO / Ph.D. dual degree and that is the only campus that offers it

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Did you submit your secondary as a DO/PhD applicant?

Yes I did, I completed the one extra essay. I am in the process of completing the DO / PhD specific application now. It asks for LORs, research summaries, publications, and two essays!

i would assume that you would receive in-state tuition upon establishing residency in the state. im not sure that the contract to practice in-state after affects that, no?

I don’t think so. One of the medical students that was at our meet and greet specifically mentioned living out of state. She moved to Ohio with family and after being in state for a year the school helped her file for residency. I don’t think the contract matters for residency until you’ve officially moved here for longer than a year.

Has anyone found a way to get their letters checked off? At this point I'm honestly kind of mad that I payed to submit a secondary so that my application would be reviewed, only to have review held up by my letters not being checked off. Which would be fine, if they were receptive to friendly emails asking about letters WHEN THEY SPECIFICALLY SAY TO EMAIL THEM IF NOT CHECKED OFF.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone found a way to get their letters checked off? At this point I'm honestly kind of mad that I payed to submit a secondary so that my application would be reviewed, only to have review held up by my letters not being checked off. Which would be fine, if they were receptive to friendly emails asking about letters WHEN THEY SPECIFICALLY SAY TO EMAIL THEM IF NOT CHECKED OFF.
I’ve honestly always just emailed them. I’ve always had really nice replies, but idk if it’s because I submitted pretty early.

I’ve honestly always just emailed them. I’ve always had really nice replies, but idk if it’s because I submitted pretty early.

I submitted VERY early, like early June. Received my secondary on 6/29 and submitted it on 7/5. My letters were in AACOMAS so that isn't the problem. I emailed them after it had been about 3.5 weeks because they said to email them if it had been a "couple" which to me means like 2 weeks. Got a very curt response that basically told me to be patient. Others on here have had the same experience when they reached out about letters, but I'm glad you've had nice replies from them. So I don't want to email them again and make them more annoyed at me, and honestly I have my A elsewhere and I love that school, but I would at least like my application here to be reviewed since I payed for it to be reviewed, and I payed EARLY at that, so I kinda feel like I should be reviewed earlier for obvious reasons in terms of likelihood of success. Which for me is irrelevant because I have another acceptance -but what if I didn't? What if this was my top choice but they didn't review me until winter/spring because they were slow to check off my letters, despite my reminding them about it, and applying/paying early, but they reviewed me late and so I didn't get an II or A from them because of issues on their end? That's what I have a problem with.

I submitted VERY early, like early June. Received my secondary on 6/29 and submitted it on 7/5. My letters were in AACOMAS so that isn't the problem. I emailed them after it had been about 3.5 weeks because they said to email them if it had been a "couple" which to me means like 2 weeks. Got a very curt response that basically told me to be patient. Others on here have had the same experience when they reached out about letters, but I'm glad you've had nice replies from them. So I don't want to email them again and make them more annoyed at me, and honestly I have my A elsewhere and I love that school, but I would at least like my application here to be reviewed since I payed for it to be reviewed, and I payed EARLY at that, so I kinda feel like I should be reviewed earlier for obvious reasons in terms of likelihood of success. Which for me is irrelevant because I have another acceptance -but what if I didn't? What if this was my top choice but they didn't review me until winter/spring because they were slow to check off my letters, despite my reminding them about it, and applying/paying early, but they reviewed me late and so I didn't get an II or A from them because of issues on their end? That's what I have a problem with.
I FEEL YOU!!! I applied last year and they were very nice in emails whenever I had issues. However, they have been very short with me this year and told me to be patient saying that I have not been reviewed yet. My letters are checked off, but are assigned incorrectly. I emailed them about this and they told me that they would get to me. Is this letter issue hindering me from getting an II? If so, I would be very upset. This is my top school and I feel like my chances are getting lower because of this issue. Other folks have been able to get their letters checked off (correctly) and completed within a reasonable amount of time. So I don't understand what the problem is.

They were also responsive and actually picked up the phone last year instead of us having to leave a message and not getting a response back ://

Thats understandable. IDK, I have emailed multiple times and not had a problem. I always seem to get the same guy that replies though. If your accepted elsewhere and like the other school better I wouldn't personally bother with it. However, if you still want to try, I'd just make sure the wording of your email is super nice. Sometimes emails/texts come off sounding pretty irritated even if you don't mean it to sound that way. It could be the wording that is the issue. All the schools deserve a little grace this year. COVID really messed up everything school related, so I'm sure its not fun dealing with angry emails all day. Best of luck to you and congrats on your other acceptance!

Thats understandable. IDK, I have emailed multiple times and not had a problem. I always seem to get the same guy that replies though. If your accepted elsewhere and like the other school better I wouldn't personally bother with it. However, if you still want to try, I'd just make sure the wording of your email is super nice. Sometimes emails/texts come off sounding pretty irritated even if you don't mean it to sound that way. It could be the wording that is the issue. All the schools deserve a little grace this year. COVID really messed up everything school related, so I'm sure its not fun dealing with angry emails all day. Best of luck to you and congrats on your other acceptance!

Oh definitely, I always try to sound nice but I know that it doesn't always come out correctly -too bad emojis aren't considered "professional" because I think they'd actually be useful. And I wasn't even mad at first, and I'm trying to be understanding about COVID and whatnot, and I certainly wouldn't take it out on the admissions people.

• Haha
Oh definitely, I always try to sound nice but I know that it doesn't always come out correctly -too bad emojis aren't considered "professional" because I think they'd actually be useful. And I wasn't even mad at first, and I'm trying to be understanding about COVID and whatnot, and I certainly wouldn't take it out on the admissions people.
OMG I know lol. We need to normalize emojis lol. I get it. Luckily, I knew DO was my top choice and it went pretty smoothly. My AAMC that I submitted the second week JUST finished with verifying and sending it to schools. I've been sitting on the secondaries while I waited to hear back from OU. It is a very frustrating cycle for sure.

I’ve been seeing lots of issues with recommendation letters not being checked off and would like to share my situation with you all (hope it helps). I’m an IS, received II already for later this month. Despite getting the interview invite, not all of my letters are checked off. I’ve 3 letters sent to this school, only one is checked off while other ones are still not checked off. I don’t know if they read the letter but forgot to check it off or gave me an II just based on stats and my essays. But like you all mentioned, there’s something wrong with their letter checking system this year.

How long after being under review did it take to hear back?
Hey, I remember replying you earlier in the thread as well. Let me give you my timeline for this school.
Primary submitted: 8/01
Secondary Invitation: 8/03
Secondary submitted: 8/10
Secondary complete email: 8/12
Interview invite: 09/21 for 10/13.
Hope this helps. Also, I’m an IS (which I believe you’re as well) and NOT all of my letters are checked off still.