2020-2021 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I remember replying you earlier in the thread as well. Let me give you my timeline for this school.
Primary submitted: 8/01
Secondary Invitation: 8/03
Secondary submitted: 8/10
Secondary complete email: 8/12
Interview invite: 09/21 for 10/13.
Hope this helps. Also, I’m an IS (which I believe you’re as well) and NOT all of my letters are checked off still.
I submitted my secondary in August as well and I haven't been completed yet...do you not believe that the letters are preventing me from being completed? Or was I just shuffled to the bottom of the list and not be complete because of my stats? I'm also IS and you were complete the next day so I'm just thinking of what could be off

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary in August as well and I haven't been completed yet...do you not believe that the letters are preventing me from being completed? Or was I just shuffled to the bottom of the list and not be complete because of my stats? I'm also IS and you were complete the next day so I'm just thinking of what could be off
I honestly don’t know. But like I mentioned, I submitted 3 letters (2 science prof and one DO) and only one of my science prof letters is checked off as complete (but I did recieved the complete email). Being IS, you should be getting priority and I don’t think it’s bcoz of your stats. This cycle has been crazy considering everything going on. I hope you hear back soon.

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly don’t know. But like I mentioned, I submitted 3 letters (2 science prof and one DO) and only one of my science prof letters is checked off as complete (but I did recieved the complete email). Being IS, you should be getting priority and I don’t think it’s bcoz of your stats. This cycle has been crazy considering everything going on. I hope you hear back soon.
Thanks! And congrats/good luck on your interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I remember replying you earlier in the thread as well. Let me give you my timeline for this school.
Primary submitted: 8/01
Secondary Invitation: 8/03
Secondary submitted: 8/10
Secondary complete email: 8/12
Interview invite: 09/21 for 10/13.
Hope this helps. Also, I’m an IS (which I believe you’re as well) and NOT all of my letters are checked off still.

wait you can be complete/get an II without all your letters being checked off?! I've been sitting here waiting for weeks for these checkmarks when I could have submitted anyway. omg

wait you can be complete/get an II without all your letters being checked off?! I've been sitting here waiting for weeks for these checkmarks when I could have submitted anyway. omg
Apparently. Not all of my letters are checked off (only one checked off) and got a complete and interview invite.

None of my letters are checked off and I did not receive a complete email. So maybe they only consider you complete if at least one of your letters is checked off.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a silly question to ask and I need suggestions. I just got the TCC supplement invitation. I am not sure if I should decline or complete it... My passion is more in infectious disease, internal medicine or emergency medicine. Not so much family medicine. But the tcc is 3 years (saves a lot of money) and guaranteed a spot for residency. Should I apply regardless? I still haven't gotten any interview invite so far and am afraid to miss out a chance

• Hmm
I have a silly question to ask and I need suggestions. I just got the TCC supplement invitation. I am not sure if I should decline or complete it... My passion is more in infectious disease, internal medicine or emergency medicine. Not so much family medicine. But the tcc is 3 years (saves a lot of money) and guaranteed a spot for residency. Should I apply regardless? I still haven't gotten any interview invite so far and am afraid to miss out a chance

What does $60 mean if you're already thinking/committed to another $1000+ cycle. If it does pan out well for you then you at least have an out. Better to position yourself in that sense.

What does $60 mean if you're already thinking/committed to another $1000+ cycle. If it does pan out well for you then you at least have an out. Better to position yourself in that sense.
Im a bit confused. Can you explain a bit more? So you do think thst it's better to apply even if the speciality isn't my passion?

Im a bit confused. Can you explain a bit more? So you do think thst it's better to apply even if the speciality isn't my passion?
Better to end up being a family medicine physician than not being a physician at all, so it doesn’t hurt to go ahead and apply

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Just got my secondary last week and finally have some time to sit down to get it done. How did everyone answer the advocacy question? I've volunteered for different organizations I'm passionate about, but is that really considered advocating for them?

So a couple things, first, it couldn’t hurt to try to up your chances... however in the interview they really stress wanting people that actually want to go into family medicine. However, I didn’t realize how broad family medicine was. You do rounds in pretty much every specialty to gain the experience. They said many of the family medicine doctors end up in emergency medicine or OB, which I had no idea. They interview everyone interested and only take the top 8. They rank you after you interview and you don’t find out till after March. They are really looking for people that have a strong desired to stay in the Cleveland/Akron area too.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just got my secondary last week and finally have some time to sit down to get it done. How did everyone answer the advocacy question? I've volunteered for different organizations I'm passionate about, but is that really considered advocating for them?

I really struggled with this one and talked to several friends and family members so I could reflect on what "advocacy" really meant to me. From there, I considered examples of my definition and was able to choose a story in my life that demonstrated that. Once I did the first part, the second part came so much easier for me. In my example, I used a time I advocated for a close colleague so she could get a job that she was passionate about and I had my reservations. In the end, I advocated for her, because it didn't matter what *I* thought of the job - It mattered if I thought *she* would do well. And I thought she would do well.
Some other things to consider are times you spoke up for a patient or stood up for someone in school/public.
If you want to take the organizations you volunteered for, consider some times you spoke about the organization outside of their walls. Maybe you helped them with a fundraiser or did some advertising without even knowing it because you talked about them to a few people. Make a little list and see what story feels most compelling to you. :)

So a couple things, first, it couldn’t hurt to try to up your chances... however in the interview they really stress wanting people that actually want to go into family medicine. However, I didn’t realize how broad family medicine was. You do rounds in pretty much every specialty to gain the experience. They said many of the family medicine doctors end up in emergency medicine or OB, which I had no idea. They interview everyone interested and only take the top 8. They rank you after you interview and you don’t find out till after March. They are really looking for people that have a strong desired to stay in the Cleveland/Akron area too.
That's very good advise. Thank you. I was more afraid thst I might limit my scope of practice in the future. I wonder if family medicine can be as diverse as other specialities.

I'm annoyed on your behalf. lol this shizz is ridonkulous

Thanks... luckily I really didn't want to go to this school anyway and only applied in a "I'd rather go here than take another gap year" way. Like I said, I'm only annoyed because I paid for them to review my application, which they won't do till they check off my letters, told us to tell them if they forgot to check of our letters, then yell at us for reminding them.

• Care
Thanks... luckily I really didn't want to go to this school anyway and only applied in a "I'd rather go here than take another gap year" way. Like I said, I'm only annoyed because I paid for them to review my application, which they won't do till they check off my letters, told us to tell them if they forgot to check of our letters, then yell at us for reminding them.

At this point I would highly recommend a strong passive aggressive letter of intent. I'm sure the collaborative environment on the SDN OU-HCOM thread will gladly help you out, myself included. Nothing is more visceral than a letter riling up your emotions especially when they read the pain and suffering you have endured. These damn boxes won't get checked off even after I've already paid for them!

At this point I would highly recommend a strong passive aggressive letter of intent. I'm sure the collaborative environment on the SDN OU-HCOM thread will gladly help you out, myself included. Nothing is more visceral than a letter riling up your emotions especially when they read the pain and suffering you have endured. These damn boxes won't get checked off even after I've already paid for them!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. For me, it's the fact that others on this thread are having the same problem. And given admissions is on a rolling basis, the earlier you submit, the earlier you expect to get reviewed (once you're marked as complete). And if this is your first choice school, or the only school that would have accepted you but got around to you too late so they didn't interview you, that would suck.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. For me, it's the fact that others on this thread are having the same problem. And given admissions is on a rolling basis, the earlier you submit, the earlier you expect to get reviewed (once you're marked as complete). And if this is your first choice school, or the only school that would have accepted you but got around to you too late so they didn't interview you, that would suck.
That's literally me @let-me-take-my-mcat :/// and I'm not sure what a letter like that would do, especially if they are unhappy with us emailing them about our applications in the first place

• Sad

That's literally me @let-me-take-my-mcat :/// and I'm not sure what a letter like that would do, especially if they are unhappy with us emailing them about our applications in the first place

Definitely on the sarcastic side. A letter like that would jeopardize your chances with the school by disrupting your relations with the ADCOMs. It's hard for me to advise what you should or should not do. On one hand they enrolled 10 OOS students among the 250 first year students for 19-20. This tells you they have a limited number of interviews for OOS students and likely that they rank OOS students which suggests rolling admissions isn't exactly applicable in this case. It's more likely that they prioritize IS students and then towards the middle/end of the cycle they begin looking at OOS students in what I suspect as a group format if you will. If that's the case then perhaps you can take solace in that fact at the end whatever comes of it is the result of a non-rolling admission cycle for OOS students and that they evaluated you among your applicants. On the other hand, here I am with a complete email in August and still silence. It's hard not to feel like you have a decreased chance or no chance but I would say trust the ADCOMs who's been doing this for countless years now and whatever happens happens. If you want some semblance of control then send your letters through Interfolio. I sent mine through AACOMAS and Interfolio for good measure in July. Maybe your letters will end up at the top of the list so to speak and they will process it. If not then, another option would be anonymously calling them and asking how come your letters aren't checked off yet without giving up your identity. Hopefully they have an answer that is satisfactory to you, though it's hard not to be discouraged and I don't blame you when below is what I pulled from 19-20 OUHCOM SDN thread posted in April. Hope some of this helps. My expectation going into this was low but you know what they say, slim chance is better than no chance.

Just heard from the admissions team and below is the response:

'It is often difficult for out of state students to gain an interview at our school as we are state-supported and give preference to Ohio residents'.

Based on the above statement, if you are OOS, tough luck.

• Sad
Definitely on the sarcastic side. A letter like that would jeopardize your chances with the school by disrupting your relations with the ADCOMs. It's hard for me to advise what you should or should not do. On one hand they enrolled 10 OOS students among the 250 first year students for 19-20. This tells you they have a limited number of interviews for OOS students and likely that they rank OOS students which suggests rolling admissions isn't exactly applicable in this case. It's more likely that they prioritize IS students and then towards the middle/end of the cycle they begin looking at OOS students in what I suspect as a group format if you will. If that's the case then perhaps you can take solace in that fact at the end whatever comes of it is the result of a non-rolling admission cycle for OOS students and that they evaluated you among your applicants. On the other hand, here I am with a complete email in August and still silence. It's hard not to feel like you have a decreased chance or no chance but I would say trust the ADCOMs who's been doing this for countless years now and whatever happens happens. If you want some semblance of control then send your letters through Interfolio. I sent mine through AACOMAS and Interfolio for good measure in July. Maybe your letters will end up at the top of the list so to speak and they will process it. If not then, another option would be anonymously calling them and asking how come your letters aren't checked off yet without giving up your identity. Hopefully they have an answer that is satisfactory to you, though it's hard not to be discouraged and I don't blame you when below is what I pulled from 19-20 OUHCOM SDN thread posted in April. Hope some of this helps. My expectation going into this was low but you know what they say, slim chance is better than no chance.

Thanks for the response. I definitely wasn't planning on sending an angry email, and luckily I don't want to attend. But it does suck for other OOS-ers that do. At this point I'm just going to let things be.

• Care
Long Time Lurker Here:
I was accepted this morning to the HCOM - Athens Campus!
Secondary Received: 09/01
Secondary Submitted: 09/02
Interview Invite 09/21
Interview Date: 10/13

LizzyM: 70%
NE Ohio Resident

Good Luck Everyone!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Guess who just got the "complete" email (so I'm assuming they checked off my letters, haven't logged onto my portal yet to look).

Update: stopped being lazy and checked. All of my letters are checked off now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Has anyone gotten any recent interview invites? Have not seen any for a while

Guess who just got the "complete" email (so I'm assuming they checked off my letters, haven't logged onto my portal yet to look).

Update: stopped being lazy and checked. All of my letters are checked off now.
A friend of mine emailed one of the heads of adcom about this issue...looked like it worked....sad that we could have been complete so long ago

EDIT: now we wait for that II invite email

Last edited:
  • Wow
Finally got my complete email and letters checked off. Secondary received 6/23, Secondary submitted 7/11. OOS with ties to the state.

Hey guys I hope your application cycle is going great! I'm a first year at OUHCOM and I can try to answer any questions about the process or how the curriculum has been so far! Good luck!

• Love
  • Care
Hey guys I hope your application cycle is going great! I'm a first year at OUHCOM and I can try to answer any questions about the process or how the curriculum has been so far! Good luck!
I was accepted to the Athens campus this week and waitlisted for Dublin. What's the likelihood of getting off the waitlist and when would I expect that to happen? I'm from northeast Ohio with no connections to the Dublin area (honestly surprised I didn't get put at the Cleveland campus which was my 2nd choice)

I was accepted to the Athens campus this week and waitlisted for Dublin. What's the likelihood of getting off the waitlist and when would I expect that to happen? I'm from northeast Ohio with no connections to the Dublin area (honestly surprised I didn't get put at the Cleveland campus which was my 2nd choice)
First off, congrats on your acceptance! So since you did get accepted pretty early I think you have a decent chance of moving off the wait-list for Dublin. I'd assume you would hear about this over the next few months depending on how many people are getting accepted to those campuses. The process can be pretty random for when you would hear back. I hope that helps a little.

This is a bit off topic, but do you happen to know where the majority of medical school students live at the Athens Campus?

This is a bit off topic, but do you happen to know where the majority of medical school students live at the Athens Campus?
I go to the dublin campus (probably should have mentioned that earlier lol) so I don't know where athens students live unfortunately. Maybe someone else can chime in about that.

I am OOS and just received an email for the TCC application. I am interested in family medicine but not sure if I am 100% sold on it just yet, should I still fill out the application?

I am OOS and just received an email for the TCC application. I am interested in family medicine but not sure if I am 100% sold on it just yet, should I still fill out the application?

OOS and got a TCC application too. Does that mean there's a chance they'll consider me for a regular interview?