2020-2021 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got my complete email today 11/4... submitted secondary 8/3. Hope to hear something soon!
Wow does it really take 3 months to complete

Members don't see this ad.

I’m OOS, but graduated high school in Ohio, so I’m not sure what pile I’m in with these Ohio schools... but yep, 3 long months for me
I submitted my secondary last week wow they might just forget about me

For those of you who already interviewed, did you feel that you were having to explain the same things to all three interviewers or did each of them approach the interview from a different perspective. Just curious as to your experiences. I'm interviewing next week!

I found it helpful to review the SDN thread that is for OU interviews. I had a lot of the questions off there overall. Each interviewer was different, but similar like others stated. Theres always a general type question like Why medicine, why DO from each one. They all asked a few questions from my essays or application. They all seemed to ask some really random off the wall question too lol Like one was favorite movie and why? lol Then we just sat and had conversation. I think part depends on your experience/drive towards medicine. Overall, most of the questions varied, but I brought up a lot of the same topics/themes when answering... so its was a combination of both for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary last week wow they might just forget about me

You never know, you could be complete next week. They may have just been really backed up or they were saving OOS reviews for last? Not sure, but it's always worth trying

I found it helpful to review the SDN thread that is for OU interviews. I had a lot of the questions off there overall. Each interviewer was different, but similar like others stated. Theres always a general type question like Why medicine, why DO from each one. They all asked a few questions from my essays or application. They all seemed to ask some really random off the wall question too lol Like one was favorite movie and why? lol Then we just sat and had conversation. I think part depends on your experience/drive towards medicine. Overall, most of the questions varied, but I brought up a lot of the same topics/themes when answering... so its was a combination of both for me.
For why DO, do you think they're looking for really specific reasons? If I say I've shadowed both and haven't noticed a difference in practice/I also asked docs about the difference and they say it's not even a factor after residency, will that be sufficient, or do you think they want to hear about the "whole patient" philosophy even though in practice MD and DOs both consider the whole patient??

Also I just submitted my secondary (11/6). Does anyone know how long it takes for letters to be checked off normally? I received the secondary 9/16 and still have not had any of my letters checked off, or do they wait until you've submitted the secondary to start reviewing letters?

Also I just submitted my secondary (11/6). Does anyone know how long it takes for letters to be checked off normally? I received the secondary 9/16 and still have not had any of my letters checked off, or do they wait until you've submitted the secondary to start reviewing letters?

I submitted 9/28 and I'm still waiting for mine to be checked off. I emailed yesterday and they told me to continue to be patient.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
For why DO, do you think they're looking for really specific reasons? If I say I've shadowed both and haven't noticed a difference in practice/I also asked docs about the difference and they say it's not even a factor after residency, will that be sufficient, or do you think they want to hear about the "whole patient" philosophy even though in practice MD and DOs both consider the whole patient??

That will not be sufficient. DO schools want applicants who want to be DOs, not just the medical degree at the end.

That will not be sufficient. DO schools want applicants who want to be DOs, not just the medical degree at the end.
What does it mean to "be a DO?" I'm genuinely confused because all of my experiences of talking with DOs and MDs that work with/supervise DOs say they do the same job and there's no functional difference in practice. So how can one prefer to be a DO when the education and job is the same (with exception of OMM which is rarely used in practice and unnecessary in most specialties)?

What does it mean to "be a DO?" I'm genuinely confused because all of my experiences of talking with DOs and MDs that work with/supervise DOs say they do the same job and there's no functional difference in practice. So how can one prefer to be a DO when the education and job is the same (with exception of OMM which is rarely used in practice and unnecessary in most specialties)?

I'm a rare bird in that I do prefer to be a DO over an MD.

I guess all I can say is my experience has been vastly different with MDs vs DOs. I've worked for years with both and I have noticed subtle differences in practice. The culture from day one is different in medical schools, for one. My advice to you is to consider why you want to be a doctor in the first place. If just getting the degree is all that matters, I would be cautious in your DO interviews. DO schools seem to be more careful about folks who just want to get into medical school, regardless of where. (This was a topic that was discussed during one of my interviews at a DO school.) I think you should reflect more on this, personally.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Dig a little bit into the tenets of Osteopathic medicine. The focus on mind, body, and sprirt interplaying with one another is something that is specifically discussed in the principles of osteopathy. You've probably seen similarities between allopathic/osteopathic physicians in practice, but the distinction between the two can be drawn from reading into the AOA's philosophy. I've worked side by side with both DO/MD physicians extensively. Some DO's do take the osteopathic principles ie OMT/whole body and mind approach to medicine very seriously, some don't. But ultimately you'll need to be able to discuss why and how the two medical degrees differ.

• Love
  • Care
I'm a rare bird in that I do prefer to be a DO over an MD.

I guess all I can say is my experience has been vastly different with MDs vs DOs. I've worked for years with both and I have noticed subtle differences in practice. The culture from day one is different in medical schools, for one. My advice to you is to consider why you want to be a doctor in the first place. If just getting the degree is all that matters, I would be cautious in your DO interviews. DO schools seem to be more careful about folks who just want to get into medical school, regardless of where. (This was a topic that was discussed during one of my interviews at a DO school.) I think you should reflect more on this, personally.
I appreciate the response. I don't mean to come off contentious but this topic has frustrated me for a while. I keep seeing rhetoric that suggests that MD+DO applicants are somehow dishonest or underhanded when they use DO schools as an extra option or "safety" (which I hesitate to even use because all MD and DO programs are very competitive). My priority is getting into a medical school so I can become a physician. As I'm undecided on specialty, I'd prefer the wider variety of options available to MDs, but I'd happily accept a DO acceptance vs another gap year.

I guess it's possible that I haven't worked with enough DOs to notice a difference, but the MDs I've worked with practice so differently from one another that I can't imagine there being a collective difference between the degrees, especially when all the professionals I've worked with assure me that there isn't one. So what is this "subtle" difference that no one can articulate? I'd counter that it may be possible that you and others who offer this difference may notice differences only though subconscious confirmation bias or factors you expect to distinguish the physicians with whom you work. Would you notice these differences and be able to accurately categorize providers as MD or DO had you not known their letters beforehand? I know I couldn't, but perhaps you can. I encourage you to reflect on how you've come to differentiate these doctors.

I appreciate the response. I don't mean to come off contentious but this topic has frustrated me for a while. I keep seeing rhetoric that suggests that MD+DO applicants are somehow dishonest or underhanded when they use DO schools as an extra option or "safety" (which I hesitate to even use because all MD and DO programs are very competitive). My priority is getting into a medical school so I can become a physician. As I'm undecided on specialty, I'd prefer the wider variety of options available to MDs, but I'd happily accept a DO acceptance vs another gap year.

I guess it's possible that I haven't worked with enough DOs to notice a difference, but the MDs I've worked with practice so differently from one another that I can't imagine there being a collective difference between the degrees, especially when all the professionals I've worked with assure me that there isn't one. So what is this "subtle" difference that no one can articulate? I'd counter that it may be possible that you and others who offer this difference may notice differences only though subconscious confirmation bias or factors you expect to distinguish the physicians with whom you work. Would you notice these differences and be able to accurately categorize providers as MD or DO had you not known their letters beforehand? I know I couldn't, but perhaps you can. I encourage you to reflect on how you've come to differentiate these doctors.

I have reflected on this, and you'll have to excuse me for not indulging you with an answer on my reflections because it isn't worth the emotional energy on my end after I've had this discussion many times and I already know my answer. You are the one who is asking and you are the one who needs to find your own answer to this.
I will say, to toot my own horn, that at my last interview my interviewer said I gave "the most passionate and compelling answer for 'Why DO?' [he had] ever heard before." (So, I think I articulated the difference just fine.)
I don't think I need any further reflection; My experiences come from all the way back to my childhood decades ago and there was no distinction for me for MD vs. DO. They were all "doctor."
That's all I will say about this, since it takes away from the main point of the thread. Tonloc gave you a wonderful resource that may help you in your journey. Good luck!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)

There is no "subtle" difference. Either you have the experiences with osteopathic physicians that enabled you to see a difference, or you dig into the profession to understand why and how the history/practice of osteopathic medicine came about and why you are drawn to it.
At the end of the day, insinuating subconscious bias determined how I perceive differences in MD/DO is an overreach. If you are really hung up on it then you can always refer to the standard of OMT/OMM as another way to help patients, which is entirely true. It is something I've routinely seen in the military, especially for chronic pain management.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

It might not be as apparent working with them. Most people are insanely different on a personal vs professional level. Sure, a doctor is a doctor. Right now, they are essentially the same if you are just looking at what they can do. However, their approaches are vastly different. I’ve been the patient more time than i can count and overall how I’m treated as a person and the level of care I receive is greatly different. To name a few, DOs generally have been more personable and caring (which is honestly huge when it comes to patient care) and DOs generally try to wait to push medications until last resort. I personally have a rare disorder and MDs wouldn’t listen to my issues because of my age. I didn’t fit their textbook definition, so they wrote me a script I didn’t use and sent me on my way. The MDs Ive had have always gone down their checklist vs the DOs think more outside the box. The world doesn’t need more robotic physicians. Like @StressedBiClown I too prefer DO. This was my top choice school because of the level of physician they produce. DO schools are generally more hands on than MD schools as well. After working in the medical field for a few years I can’t even explain how much better you learn by doing. I didn’t even fill out my MD secondaries and didn’t plan on it until I heard back from OU. If you want to get in just to get in, DO Probably isn’t the path for you. I suggest you dig deep on what motivates you and spend more time researching the two paths as others have suggested.

• Love
  • Care
About how long would does it take to receive a secondary from this school? Also, this is my first time applying the DO route, do you get an email stating that your application is verified from aacomas? I’m still unsure about my status...

About how long would does it take to receive a secondary from this school? Also, this is my first time applying the DO route, do you get an email stating that your application is verified from aacomas? I’m still unsure about my status...
if your out of state they screen and takes like a week if in state you get automatically

Do you find out which campus you are interviewing for during the interview?

You don’t interview for specific campuses. You interview for HCOM. After the interview - if you’re accepted - than they will offer you a acceptance to the campus of your preference or accept you to the Athens campus and waitlist for the campus of your preference.

You don’t interview for specific campuses. You interview for HCOM. After the interview - if you’re accepted - than they will offer you a acceptance to the campus of your preference or accept you to the Athens campus and waitlist for the campus of your preference.
Thanks! :)

if your out of state they screen and takes like a week if in state you get automatically
Okay, I guess I'll keep waiting...my last transcript came in 6 days ago so idk hopefully tomorrow or by Friday.

Have OOS'ers gotten interviews here yet? I was complete 7/27 but have heard nothing.

sorry for dragging this from so long ago but was this your first choice campus? Is there any insight into which campus fills up the fastest/is hardest to get a spot at, or does that kinda vary year to year?
Yes. Dublin was my first choice and it was easy to justify (in secondary essay) why I want to attend there as I’m from the area.
From my understanding, Cleveland (because of the prestige of the Cleveland Clinic) fills up the fastest than Dublin and than Athens. This is mostly because the class sizes are small at regional campuses and also you don’t have to move around for 3rd and 4th year rotation as OhioHealth and Cleveland Clinic are literally next to campuses - unlike Athens. Also, During an interview they emphasize how they might accept you in Athens and put it on the waitlist for other regional campuses (if it’s your first preference) further strengthening the point that it’s harder to get into Dublin and Cleveland.
I hope this helps. Have you received II from them? Let me know if you’ve any more questions.

Have OOS'ers gotten interviews here yet? I was complete 7/27 but have heard nothing.

Also complete around early/mid July, nothing from them as well. Second time around as well.

Yes. Dublin was my first choice and it was easy to justify (in secondary essay) why I want to attend there as I’m from the area.
From my understanding, Cleveland (because of the prestige of the Cleveland Clinic) fills up the fastest than Dublin and than Athens. This is mostly because the class sizes are small at regional campuses and also you don’t have to move around for 3rd and 4th year rotation as OhioHealth and Cleveland Clinic are literally next to campuses - unlike Athens. Also, During an interview they emphasize how they might accept you in Athens and put it on the waitlist for other regional campuses (if it’s your first preference) further strengthening the point that it’s harder to get into Dublin and Cleveland.
I hope this helps. Have you received II from them? Let me know if you’ve any more questions.

That helps a lot, thanks! I just submitted 11/6 and was marked complete 11/9, no letters checked off yet and no II. My preference was 1. Dublin, 2. Athens, 3. Cleveland. I grew up in a Columbus suburb and currently work at a clinic in Dublin, so I think i was able to speak strongly to my area preference. Thanks again and congrats on your acceptance!

Edit: checked again and my letter have actually been checked! Woo

Has there been any recent IS interview invites?

yes. i think it's a fair assumption that they're sending them out on either weekly/biweekly bases as they have in previous years.

Hi! Just to disagree from the other response, every year previous you do interview for your specific campus preference. When I interviewed, I interviewed with Dublin specific professors. So, although it is one HCOM interview, the professors who are assigned to you will be campus specific and be making decisions for their campus individually.

This doesn't dictate that you could not attend somewhere else. For example, I was accepted to Dublin, but later requested a transfer to Athens before school started.

Hi! Just to disagree from the other response, every year previous you do interview for your specific campus preference. When I interviewed, I interviewed with Dublin specific professors. So, although it is one HCOM interview, the professors who are assigned to you will be campus specific and be making decisions for their campus individually.

This doesn't dictate that you could not attend somewhere else. For example, I was accepted to Dublin, but later requested a transfer to Athens before school started.
2/3 of my interviewers are based from the Cleveland campus, and their website does say they keep our preferences in mind. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Anyone with recent II invites? Haven't seen any lately

tbh as OOS and with my experiences i dont feel like OU-HCOM is going to give me love

• Care
Accepted to Athens this morning! Also think I may have been called by admissions last night but missed the call, so keep an eye out for a call for acceptance I guess!

• Love
I got my complete email today and verified that all of my letters are checked off on the portal!

Primary sent 9/24
Secondary received 9/25
Secondary submitted 9/28
Complete 11/19

(OOS, but in Michigan)

Anyone complete the TCC application, and not hear anything back yet? Completed the TCC app 10/19

I got my complete email today and verified that all of my letters are checked off on the portal!

Primary sent 9/24
Secondary received 9/25
Secondary submitted 9/28
Complete 11/19

(OOS, but in Michigan)
Got an invitation to do the TCC application today!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Yay!!! Fingers crossed for you!
Thank U Laughing GIF by Pusheen

• Love