2020-2021 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats friend!! May I ask when you were complete?
Thank you! I was complete 07/27, so a good 4 month wait hahaha

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Sooo about this out of state contract.... is there anyway out of the 5 year commitment? That’s 9 years in Ohio.....

Sooo about this out of state contract.... is there anyway out of the 5 year commitment? That’s 9 years in Ohio.....
I just noticed there is a waiver.. does anyone know how common it is to receive it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard you have to pay a penalty in order to get out of that contract. I believe you have to pay a full years tuition in order to get out. But I’m not 100% sure this is correct, it’s just something I heard a while back.

I heard you have to pay a penalty in order to get out of that contract. I believe you have to pay a full years tuition in order to get out. But I’m not 100% sure this is correct, it’s just something I heard a while back.
I believe that's what I read in the contract, too.
I just noticed there is a waiver.. does anyone know how common it is to receive it?
There was a med student on here a couple months ago who said there are other exceptions or ways out of it. I'd try using the search function to see what you can dig up around here. :) (This contract isn't an issue for me, otherwise I think I'd know more or have paid attention more closely, haha.)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they gift students a stethoscope or if we have to purchase one ourselves?

i think everyone oos receives it. there are multiple ways around it. the administration is likely the best resource to discuss that with.

Does anyone know if they gift students a stethoscope or if we have to purchase one ourselves?

historically they have gifted.

Reactions: 1 users
i think everyone oos receives it. there are multiple ways around it. the administration is likely the best resource to discuss that with.

historically they have gifted.
Ok thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Ok thanks!
i just realized i quoted the wrong part, sorry for any confusion.

they send the contract to every oos applicant. there are waivers, and multiple other ways around the contract (from what i have heard / read). but either way, the admin is definitely a good contact for this (though their reply time might be tough during such a busy time)

Members don't see this ad :)
Was looking at the interview feedback page and saw some people were asked if they applied MD and if they’re really committed to DO... did anyone get asked something like this during their interview this cycle? I’m not sure about the best way to answer this as I applied both MD and DO simply because I want the best chance of staying in Ohio close to family. But I don’t want them to look down on that answer. I’m committed to being a doctor whether that’s MD or DO

• Care
Was looking at the interview feedback page and saw some people were asked if they applied MD and if they’re really committed to DO... did anyone get asked something like this during their interview this cycle? I’m not sure about the best way to answer this as I applied both MD and DO simply because I want the best chance of staying in Ohio close to family. But I don’t want them to look down on that answer. I’m committed to being a doctor whether that’s MD or DO
Each of my interviewers asked about why I specifically wanted to be a DO which is expected. I had one ask about the differences I saw between the two considering I had both MD and DO shadowing experiences and applied to both MD and DO schools. All of my interviewers were super nice, they just seemed like they wanted to make sure I was genuinely interested in being a DO. Nothing too daunting but definitely make sure you have a dedicated answer to why DO that's not just the "holistic approach to medicine" and you should be fine.

I was asked "why DO" by all three interviewers but wasn't asked "why not MD" at all. It was very much to ensure I was committed to DO, nothing disparaging or condescending against MDs (one of my interviewers was as MD). It was a very positive experience overall. I have several friends at the school and they all say their favorite part about OU is the down to earth faculty!

Has anyone who applied to the DO / PhD program heard back about a decision? When I interviewed I was told that decisions usually go out sometime in December.

Accepted to Dublin!!! IS, interviewed today. So excited

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone know if we can change our rankings? I put Athens first and now I wish I had put Dublin.

Thank you!

Does anyone know if we can change our rankings? I put Athens first and now I wish I had put Dublin.

Thank you!
At the interview they seemed very chill with switching your campus preferences.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, for those of you who did the TCC application, how long did it take to hear back about it? Thank you. 💕

Hey, for those of you who did the TCC application, how long did it take to hear back about it? Thank you. 💕
I submitted mine the same day i received it on 10/28 I believe? I haven’t heard anything since

• Care
Any OOS interviews so far?

Just got a complete email even though I submitted my secondary two months ago. Feels like an L given how far in the cycle we are.

Just got a complete email even though I submitted my secondary two months ago. Feels like an L given how far in the cycle we are.
It took a little over two months for me as well.

Does OUHCOM accept update letters/letters of interest?

They sent an email saying it was attached to my application, but sadly have not received an II yet. I’m IS but I’m having a strange cycle with the Ohio schools. I’ve been blessed this cycle so far (13 IIs, 6 DO), but no love from OU-HCOM so far despite it being at the top of my list. Fingers crossed for all of you and congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my secondary on 10/12 and still haven't had any of my letter checked off. Haven't gotten any other updates from them either. Is this normal? Sorry if this has been asked. I just want an idea of when I could have a complete app lol

I submitted my secondary on 10/12 and still haven't had any of my letter checked off. Haven't gotten any other updates from them either. Is this normal? Sorry if this has been asked. I just want an idea of when I could have a complete app lol
It took a little over 2 months for me. =/

Any OOS interviews so far?
Don't think so. I attended a OUHCOM webinar and they said at least 80% of their student population needs to be IS. I am assuming they will get the 80% IS acceptances first before inviting OOS applicants.

Any recent II invites? I assume they may be on break right now but just wanted to check

For those who put OU down on their FAFSA, did you just put the Athens location down even if you were accepted to a different campus? I don’t see the Dublin campus as an option

For those who put OU down on their FAFSA, did you just put the Athens location down even if you were accepted to a different campus? I don’t see the Dublin campus as an option
I looked up their FAFSA code online.

wait what is the timeline for filling this out? I have yet to receive an interview so I have no idea ://
You’re okay, the deadline for the 2020-2021 FAFSA is June 30th. :)

• Care