2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone receive an II yet?

Members don't see this ad.

If there are any current students lurking...

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Rochester? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Is it possible to live outside the city easily?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

Hey! Congrats on making it this far. I'm still pretty new to the area/school so I'll try to answer what I can.

1. You have Anatomy and Bio lectures running most of the week. You'll probably have about 2-3 hours of Anatomy and Bio (each) every day (including things like lab time). You'll have MHCB once a week, PMH once a week (or so), Embark once a week, and APM kinda sporadically. TBL doesn't really have a set schedule, but expect it roughly once every 2-3 weeks covering a certain lecture. Expect about 4 hours per week of mandatories in a normal week for lab stuff, but then you've got TBL and some random sessions of the non-Anatomy/Bio courses as mandatories as well. But there shouldn't really be more than 4/5 mandatory sessions a week.

2. The facilities of the school that we've seen are really nice. The campus was newly renovated in 2014 I think so hopefully as things open up everyone can use more of the facilities. The student center and rec are really nice, and campus is a nice walk. The hospitals are very nice (ranked #2, #3, and #4 in Michigan), but they're not that close to the school. It's like a 15-20 minute drive for the close ones, and then there's one right in the middle of Detroit so thats 45 minutes away.

3. I think of the area around campus as a ton of separate little cities with college town vibes. Each little city has their own main street and activities so it's pretty easy to not be bored by the variety. And weekends in Detroit are very easy to get to. It is pretty suburban so expect lots of driving to do just about anything but it makes for a nice little environment for school purposes.

4. Can't say anything about this yet.

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if anyone is also applying to VCU, did you adapt their COVID prompt to OUWB's COVID prompt? OUWB's says we can mention if the virus impacted us positively, and my VCU essay sorta touches on that....but OUWB's also says it should have "impacted preparation for medical school." It is also a required essay...confused

also...does anyone know why OUWB refers to covid as an epidemic instead of a pandemic? I've been using pandemic in my essays.

also...does anyone know why OUWB refers to covid as an epidemic instead of a pandemic? I've been using pandemic in my essays.
That is interesting... Perhaps they wrote the question earlier in the year before the chaos and didn't revise it. I wouldn't think too much about it nonetheless.

Reactions: 1 user
That is interesting... Perhaps they wrote the question earlier in the year before the chaos and didn't revise it. I wouldn't think too much about it nonetheless.

a pandemic is a type of epidemic so maybe they were just going a little broader and trying to reference the effects here in the US....idk...are you guys still referencing it as an epidemic or pandemic

a pandemic is a type of epidemic so maybe they were just going a little broader and trying to reference the effects here in the US....idk...are you guys still referencing it as an epidemic or pandemic
It doesn’t matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Just realized in my secondary prompt I put OWBU instead of OUWB. But I put OUWB like 5 more times throughout my secondary. Does anyone think I completely ruined my chances? My stats and ECs and in line with the school so I hope whoever is reading it just glosses over it and doesn’t even notice

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Just realized in my secondary prompt I put OWBU instead of OUWB. But I put OUWB like 5 more times throughout my secondary. Does anyone think I completely ruined my chances? My stats and ECs and in line with the school so I hope whoever is reading it just glosses over it and doesn’t even notice
i think you ll be fine haha:) don't worry about it

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry!! I know I'd be worried too, but try to think about it objectively. Does one typo really warrant a rejection?

Don't worry!! I know I'd be worried too, but try to think about it objectively. Does one typo really warrant a rejection?
I hope not! And it wasn’t like I copied and paste and put the wrong school! So I’m hoping they don’t reject me based off of that lol

I hope not! And it wasn’t like I copied and paste and put the wrong school! So I’m hoping they don’t reject me based off of that lol
No way, I wouldn't sweat it at all! A typo I am currently sweating is submitting "shift" but forgetting the f....so... In all honesty, it hasn't affected your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
god i had high hopes for this school... and no II today for me:(

god i had high hopes for this school... and no II today for me:(
These are LITERALLY the first IIs they’ve released. You gotta be a bit more resilient than to get down on yourself for something as trivial as not receiving the first invitations from a school.

• Okay...
Reactions: 20 users
Guys don't stress about when you get an interview. I was complete early July here and didn't hear anything until the beginning of November. Patience is a virtue.

• Wow
Reactions: 22 users
If there are any current students lurking...

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Rochester? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Is it possible to live outside the city easily?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

Current M3 here!

1. First semester is your basic sciences (Biochem + Anatomy) after that you go to organ systems (First is Heme/Lymph, then I believe it was Neuro, Cardio, Respiratory). TBLs are meant to build off of lecture but are fairly self contained for the most part. Usually, they'll assign a reading or specific slide for you to look at before the TBL session. The number of mandatory sessions depends on the semester and if you're aiming for honors or not. First semester there are usually quite a few mandatories, especially with labs and dissections, but the school does a good job of trying to pool mandatories on the same day. Honors requires 70% attendance for lectures.

2. The school is very new so the facilities are very nice. Especially the anatomy lab. It's easily the best lab I saw during my tours. All the group study rooms are outfitted with a Apple TV and the medical student library is pretty dope. Beaumont is a pretty large hospital system so I would say the facilities are decent. They aren't poor by any means but they aren't exactly eye appealing in architectural design (the RO campus just looks like a concrete block from the outside lul). That being said, the EM in RO is probably the nicest EM I've been in with its stained wood.

3. Rochester, to be honest, is a pretty bland suburb. A lot more fun is to be had in Royal Oak or Detroit. I wouldn't call Rochester a city. It's a pain figuring out what to do that's near by but most people end up heading down to RO or Detroit to hang which are about 25 minutes and 45 minutes away respectively. Most students live within a few miles of campus.

4. Research is largely clinical. Very few people do wet lab research for a few reasons. One, it is hard to find time in medical school to work in a wet lab and two, there aren't that many wet lab opportunities. That being said, my Embark research project is in a wet lab. Research is not that competitive in that everyone is required to do a project. But, it might be difficult to do research in a couple of specialties since the doctors are pretty busy (Neurosurg/Ortho/etc.).

Let me know if you have any more questions and feel free to DM me any personal questions. I try to check SDN frequently.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
anyone else the picture unable to upload for their profile? mine is under 5 MB but still not uploading

II just now!! Complete 7/29!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
congrats to those with II! this program is super strong and dope.

Do they send pre-II rejection emails, does anyone know?
Yes, at least they did last year! In last year’s thread, there were several applicants who reported receiving Rs starting in mid September.

For any current OUWB students/ alumni (hopefully still) lurking: How would you describe OUWB’s focus on population/public health?

If anyone currently at the school is lurking in here, can you give me the gist of what the school really values? Would you say there’s an emphasis on serving the community and enhancing awareness of diverse populations or is it more research based? Thanks!!!