2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
+8 OOS! I got an email last week saying my app was under academic screening and just got the secondary!

Hey everyone! I have a question, one of their prerequisites states they require 1 course in statistics, but I have completed Calculus 1 and 2. Do you know if they will accept this instead?

Hey everyone! I have a question, one of their prerequisites states they require 1 course in statistics, but I have completed Calculus 1 and 2. Do you know if they will accept this instead?
i would email the admissions office. they are pretty prompt at responding

Reactions: 1 user
Someone probably already asked this but do they screen before sending secondaries?

Someone probably already asked this but do they screen before sending secondaries?
I'm pretty sure they screen for >3.0 both GPAs, but if you have more than 24 or so credits in a grad program they'll look at that instead. I think its listed on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of their requirements is 3 LORs and if someone submits a committee letter it only makes up 2/3 of the LORs. Should I not apply if I only have a committee letter (with 3-4 letters inside) and can’t find another letter writer?

Submitted and marked complete yesterday 7/28

edit: OOS

@Hellogoodbye90 I think the individual letters inside the committee letter count as separate letters (but please chime in if I'm wrong!)

Is anyone having trouble with Essay 2 (Describe your motivation to attend OUWB) word count?

I keep getting cut off at 250 characters, instead of 250 words....

Is anyone having trouble with Essay 2 (Describe your motivation to attend OUWB) word count?

I keep getting cut off at 250 characters, instead of 250 words....

It should definitely be 250 words! I copied mine piece by piece, the site is kind of glitchy when it comes to copy and pasting my entire essay.

It should definitely be 250 words! I copied mine piece by piece, the site is kind of glitchy when it comes to copy and pasting my entire essay.

Got it! Thank you so much!

Has anyone not gotten a secondary? I’m confused as to why I haven’t gotten one

Hey guys.
I need an opinion!

The third supplemental question is: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

I have already graduated but kinda want to use this space to write my diversity essay.

Do you think I can write a diversity essay or should I briefly summarize my activities since graduation since that was stated as an explicit example.
I did diversity essay. But I did not graduate yet, so, we are kinda in different situations. But I would suggest maybe talk about your activities briefly and tie them up to the idea of diversity how they relate to your diverse experiences...

submitted and complete 8/2, OOS, LM 70. does anyone know how receptive they are to updates? can't remember if i saw anything about it in the portal or emails.

Hi, this is a question for any current medical students here. I was just wondering if the Score for Success program is still being run by OUWB. I was able to find information on google relating to the program but wasn't able to find anything on the official website relating to it. Thanks!

Just got my secondary lmao primary sent 06/15, just took my MCAT August 1.

Is anyone else having trouble paying the secondary fee? I put in all my info and it just takes me back to the application fee page and doesn't charge me or anything. I waited a day and tried again on a different browser and same thing happened :(

I'm a little confused about the optional essay. It says "Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials". So if I'm already planning on continuing my gap year job and reflected that in my primaries by projecting out hours, am I not supposed to talk about it again?

I'm a little confused about the optional essay. It says "Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials". So if I'm already planning on continuing my gap year job and reflected that in my primaries by projecting out hours, am I not supposed to talk about it again?
I was wondering this too, I think I'm going to leave it blank because I already wrote a lot about my gap year activities in my work/activities on AMCAS so it's not considered 'new information'

I was wondering this too, I think I'm going to leave it blank because I already wrote a lot about my gap year activities in my work/activities on AMCAS so it's not considered 'new information'
I left it blank, felt the same way as you. I've graduated but the majority of my application is about stuff I have done since graduating. Summarizing that for this essay would be redundant and contradictory to the prompt

Anyone have confirmation about whether a letters packet consisting of letters from 3 different professors satisfies their requirement?

Anyone have confirmation about whether a letters packet consisting of letters from 3 different professors satisfies their requirement?
This is what their website says: "If your premedical advising office provides a committee letter compiling feedback from multiple sources, this letter will count as two of your three required letters of recommendation."

I took that to mean that the committee letter itself counts as 2 letters. But many committee letters (mine, at least) are sent as a packet including letters from individual writers. In that case, I think the requirement should be easily met. I haven't actually confirmed this with OUWB, but I would be surprised if the committee packet wasn't enough.

Hi, this is a question for any current medical students here. I was just wondering if the Score for Success program is still being run by OUWB. I was able to find information on google relating to the program but wasn't able to find anything on the official website relating to it. Thanks!
Hi! I am a current student at OUWB. I would guess that the program will not be able to run this upcoming school year but I haven't heard anything specifically about it yet.

Hey guys.
I need an opinion!

The third supplemental question is: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

I have already graduated but kinda want to use this space to write my diversity essay.

Do you think I can write a diversity essay or should I briefly summarize my activities since graduation since that was stated as an explicit example.
I think you should at least briefly summarize activities since graduation in some capacity.

You should verify with medadmit but I believe it needs to be statistics specifically. I had Calc 1 credit and went on to take stats class as they are very different. Statistics is incredibly important for a lot of the public health courses we take.

One of their requirements is 3 LORs and if someone submits a committee letter it only makes up 2/3 of the LORs. Should I not apply if I only have a committee letter (with 3-4 letters inside) and can’t find another letter writer?

I am in the same boat as you (committee letter with 4 letters inside). I am not sure what to do. I received their secondary application

I am in the same boat as you (committee letter with 4 letters inside). I am not sure what to do. I received their secondary application
I just submitted and I only used my committee letter with 4 letters inside. I was marked complete via email and by the AMP status...I think that means it went through. I think you should be fine. I will keep you updated.

I just submitted and I only used my committee letter with 4 letters inside. I was marked complete via email and by the AMP status...I think that means it went through. I think you should be fine. I will keep you updated.

Thanks. Good luck with your application.

Hey all, when they say

"Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials."

I'm confused. I already graduated and what I have been doing since graduation is in my primary....then am I supposed to leave this blank or....?

Hey all, when they say

"Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials."

I'm confused. I already graduated and what I have been doing since graduation is in my primary....then am I supposed to leave this blank or....?

I’m in the same boat. Everything I have done since graduating is already detailed in my primary so I left it blank

Hey all, when they say

I divided my response in 2 sections: I wrote about what I am doing now ( as a result of the pandemic, my job was suspended, so how am I using my free time, I am currently doing research and taking a free course, crocheting, etc ). Then the section section highlighted my accomplishment of my gap years, but the first sentence began with "of note, this was mentioned in my primary applications"

I divided my response in 2 sections: I wrote about what I am doing now ( as a result of the pandemic, my job was suspended, so how am I using my free time, I am currently doing research and taking a free course, crocheting, etc ). Then the section section highlighted my accomplishment of my gap years, but the first sentence began with "of note, this was mentioned in my primary applications"
Yeah I was thinking about writing a few of the things im doing now because of the pandemic..... thanks for the response!

If we caught COVID, are we mentioning it in the COVID prompt? Or is that too much...?

If we caught COVID, are we mentioning it in the COVID prompt? Or is that too much...?

If it didn’t affected you more than just feeling ill or missing a few days of work/school I wouldn’t mention it. It would have had to seriously affect your activities/application in a meaningful way to warrant a mention IMO

I would definitely mention it, but don't linger on that topic unless it had a significant impact on you. I would shift the focus to what you learned from it rather what negatively affected you -- in a way that would demonstrate resilience.