2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ve never felt “uncomfortable” to ask a question, which seems like the bare minimum professors can do.

And yes I mentioned that people are quick to share resources.

I’m very surprised to see that someone at OU finds themself with way too much free time. I’ve never heard anyone say that (solely the opposite in fact). We have a half day off after most tests and then get right into the next unit, and tests are usually Mondays so weekends tend to be off limits. I’d like to learn how someone can manage to find that much free time.

Also I’m unsure as to how a majority of complaints have been efficiently handled, because this message seems surface value. We’ve had some issues fixed, but again, that’s the bare minimum that could be done. Like “getting” to actually use our Anatomy lab and moving 8 AM tests so Californians don’t have to take it at 5 AM.

I’m not shaming people into not attending. I just want them to know that medical school is a very real thing and what occurs in school will have implications in their professional life, so they should see all facets of what a school is offering. PRISM is a 3 hour mandatory session where you watch lectures/discuss feelings (and have written reflection on your feelings), EMBARK is a glorified survey for most people that they call “structured research time,” and TBLs are a 2-hour mess that involves extra time to prepare material that is nowhere near test material.

Again, if this is your only acceptance then don’t fret. The mantra is still “if you want to be here, you’ll make it through.” And that’s true. Everyone who wants to be here still is. But know all the information if you’re making a decision.
Comfortability and collaboration were just two simple examples of my attestation to the "community environment."

I set myself a limit for studying everyday (typically not past 3-4pm) and have done very well on all of my exams up to date. Recently I have had days where I am finished studying no later than noon (my attestation that things do in fact get better). Many of my friends do the same thing and have also performed very well.

The comment may be surface level, but I did not feel the need to write a list of all the things that students want/have addressed. I personally do not have many issues with the curriculum other than first semester being a bit overboard, but that is already in the past.

PRISM is a bit longer than I feel it should be, EMBARK is as easy or hard as you make it, and TBL's are tedious but are also a good grade booster in my opinion. There's positives and negatives to everything.

I'm not saying anything you said is wrong, just wanted to share that people view many situations in different lights. What one person likes another may hate, which is also important to keep in mind in your decision making process.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
canceled my interview for first week of march. idek why i applied here being that its not p/f and based on attendance. i simply will not be attending lecture so this seems like an impasse haha

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
Received my first A today! Interviewed 1/7. If I accept their offer, I would just denote plan to enroll in amcas right? Not binding?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
M1 here. Let me share my perspective too, since it might help people make informed decisions. It is absolutely true that there is no such thing as easy medical school, that’s preposterous. To expect that everything is going to be smooth in medical school is unrealistic at the very least. But there are factors that could make or break your final choice based on your personal preferences. I, for example, was concerned about the mandatory attendance for honoring classes which (luckily) is out the window this semester(and I hope permanently in the future) for obvious reasons. And let me tell you if it was mandatory I’d never get high grades in any of my classes because it is absolutely unbearable for me to be even in 1 lecture without questioning my life choices. No science lecture should be mandatory in this century where all the information that we need is available at our fingertips. Regrettably I have come to discover that a lot of the mandatory lectures and minutia oriented tests are nothing more than an ego booster. I was lucky enough to never have any problems, but I know multiple people(all extremely intelligent) who had to remediate classes because of 1 or 2 missed questions about absolutely esoteric topics that you will never see anywhere near your boards or medicine in general. The worst thing that I experienced so far were some of the professor written questions. Now it’s not all of them, a lot of the professors actually have very decent questions. But a significant amount of them are not up to par, to say the least. There is definitely a ton of front loading, which is not necessarily a bad thing. What’s unbearable is a week full of time wasting busywork that we are forced to do instead of studying. Writing “wellness reflections”, making ethics videos, getting ready for a quizzes that are well beyond the scope of our classes. I could use all that time to learn significantly more material than we are going over. The school is very responsive to SOME changes but EQUALLY as resistant to others. I know at least half of the class is of the same opinion. And they voice it but our voices are largely ignored. With all that being said, I am still happy I’m here. I’ve met amazing friends and had plenty of good times with them despite the absolute nightmare that the first semester was. Are there antisocial/gunner/shady students here? Absolutely. Just like in every class. Do you need to be friends with them and pretend that you like them? Absolutely not. I would also say my class is divided 50/50 with their political/theological views but I personally find it interesting as long as neither of the parties tries to push their agenda too much. Overall, I don’t think this school is too bad, the only dealbreaker for me would be the mandatory attendance but without it I am mostly satisfied. If I were a prospective student choosing a school I’d do my best to ask as many students as possible about their opinion. That is the only thing I regret not doing before I made my choice.
Now I’m getting nervous. This is my top choice, but I’m not sure anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Now I’m getting nervous. This is my top choice, but I’m not sure anymore.
Hey it’s my top choice as well - just know that there will always be dissenting opinions - I’m sure most of the students who love OUWB aren’t gonna go on SDN to brag about it; we got this

Hey it’s my top choice as well - just know that there will always be dissenting opinions - I’m sure most of the students who love OUWB aren’t gonna go on SDN to brag about it; we got this
Thanks for the reassuring words. When do students conduct research at OUWB? In M1 or M2? I know surgical residencies need extensive research and publications. So question is - do OUWB students get time and the opportunities to conduct research that helps them for surgical residencies? Or just doing “mandatory” research through the EMBARK program enough ? Would you know? Please help .

Thanks for the reassuring words. When do students conduct research at OUWB? In M1 or M2? I know surgical residencies need extensive research and publications. So question is - do OUWB students get time and the opportunities to conduct research that helps them for surgical residencies? Or just doing “mandatory” research through the EMBARK program enough ? Would you know? Please help .
From what I’ve heard, if you want to do a lot of research then you can! There’s lots of resources to do so

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, another good (probably the best) thing I forgot to mention is our association with Beaumont system. Beaumont clinical faculty is very friendly and I am sure there will be opportunities outside of embark to do research. I know multiple people who started doing surgical research before embark even gave us a potential mentor list. I can't tell you how much research you need (I don't wanna go anywhere near surgery lol) but I can tell you that as long as you look for it you will most likely find opportunities. And there are resources to help you with that too.
Thanks a lot!!

Actually, another good (probably the best) thing I forgot to mention is our association with Beaumont system. Beaumont clinical faculty is very friendly and I am sure there will be opportunities outside of embark to do research. I know multiple people who started doing surgical research before embark even gave us a potential mentor list. I can't tell you how much research you need (I don't wanna go anywhere near surgery lol) but I can tell you that as long as you look for it you will most likely find opportunities. And there are resources to help you with that too.

Oh really ?!! That’s nice to learn

@sunshine09 No Problem. Ultimately, don't be nervous, just collect as much information as you need and make an informed decision on what works best for you and not anyone else. That is the advice I'd give myself a year ago.

But seriously , do you think it’s possible to sign up for research in the summer BEFORE I start medical school in the fall? And is it manageable to do research , community service AND study in M1? Plus do Embark research. Won’t that be too much? What do students normally do? Are they able to study, conduct research and do service in pre-clinical years?

Other schools have a legit research component built in so students have dedicated research mentor and time. Plus P/F takes much of the stress off. That’s why I’m asking if it’s even possible and still match into top competitive residencies

Other schools have a legit research component built in so students have dedicated research mentor and time. Plus P/F takes much of the stress off. That’s why I’m asking if it’s even possible and still match into top competitive residencies
Embark is OUWB's "built in" component. In second and third year you are often allocated "independent" Embark time to schedule meetings or analyze/collect data as you see fit for your Embark project (although you could really use this time for anything). While I don't think it'd be realistic to think you are going to do a lot of research in your first semester, a lot of students still manage to take on numerous projects in addition to their Embark research throughout their four years. As our match lists demonstrate, matching into competitive specialties (ophthalmology, urology, ortho, etc) that require a lot of research is not an issue and is something we accomplish frequently. A lot of people even take on research positions during the summer between M1 and M2 year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have something good to say about it - it was my top choice and my only in state MD so these comments aren’t helping lol but I appreciate the honesty
As a fourth year, I can say I have truly enjoyed my time at OUWB. I recognize that my opinion however is of someone who is almost done so tends to lean on the more positive side than someone who may be in their first year in the thick of things still (admittedly I have loved OUWB all four years).

In my opinion, OUWB walks the walk when it comes to community. I think this is done in part by requiring attendance because as a first and second year student I was often interacting daily with my classmates face to face. I like this about OUWB but I recognize that a lot of people do not and I also recognize this was likely very different this year due to COVID.

I will also add that I think admin is very receptive to student questions and concerns. My class frequently brings up concerns to our student gov representatives who are able to pass those along to administration who will then hold Town Hall sessions to address issues we have raised. If they are unable to address our concerns and make the changes we sometimes want, we are at the very least provided explanations as to why that is the case.

While longitudinal classes can seem "pointless" while you are going through them (because let's be real sometimes you just want to be at home sleeping), the topics of ethics, public health, and wellness are incredibly important and necessary concepts to the field of medicine and your future as a physician. On that topic, some people dislike PRISM because of "mandated wellness" but I personally enjoyed my PRISM group and think it is what you make of it. If you show up to PRISM every day hating your life and wishing you weren't there then yeah it's not going to be fun (and honestly you will probably make it miserable for those around you). But if you show up and participate and make use of your mentor, then you will get much more out of it. I personally liked the opportunity to just play games with my classmates or go on little field trips with them and spend time with classmates I wouldn't usually spend time with in a more casual, social setting. But again, this is my own personal experience.

I will also add that (and I have maintained this perspective throughout all four years) while OUWB is not perfect (as others have said - no medical school is!), when I hear about my friends' experiences at other medical schools I am incredibly grateful for my decision to go to OUWB. I feel the opportunities I have been provided at OUWB have well prepared me for my future career goals while allowing me to make so many memorable relationships along the way.

Reactions: 5 users
As a fourth year, I can say I have truly enjoyed my time at OUWB. I recognize that my opinion however is of someone who is almost done so tends to lean on the more positive side than someone who may be in their first year in the thick of things still (admittedly I have loved OUWB all four years).

In my opinion, OUWB walks the walk when it comes to community. I think this is done in part by requiring attendance because as a first and second year student I was often interacting daily with my classmates face to face. I like this about OUWB but I recognize that a lot of people do not and I also recognize this was likely very different this year due to COVID.

I will also add that I think admin is very receptive to student questions and concerns. My class frequently brings up concerns to our student gov representatives who are able to pass those along to administration who will then hold Town Hall sessions to address issues we have raised. If they are unable to address our concerns and make the changes we sometimes want, we are at the very least provided explanations as to why that is the case.

While longitudinal classes can seem "pointless" while you are going through them (because let's be real sometimes you just want to be at home sleeping), the topics of ethics, public health, and wellness are incredibly important and necessary concepts to the field of medicine and your future as a physician. On that topic, some people dislike PRISM because of "mandated wellness" but I personally enjoyed my PRISM group and think it is what you make of it. If you show up to PRISM every day hating your life and wishing you weren't there then yeah it's not going to be fun (and honestly you will probably make it miserable for those around you). But if you show up and participate and make use of your mentor, then you will get much more out of it. I personally liked the opportunity to just play games with my classmates or go on little field trips with them and spend time with classmates I wouldn't usually spend time with in a more casual, social setting. But again, this is my own personal experience.

I will also add that (and I have maintained this perspective throughout all four years) while OUWB is not perfect (as others have said - no medical school is!), when I hear about my friends' experiences at other medical schools I am incredibly grateful for my decision to go to OUWB. I feel the opportunities I have been provided at OUWB have well prepared me for my future career goals while allowing me to make so many memorable relationships along the way.
I appreciate you taking the time to write all this up! As someone who also considers OUWB to be my top-choice, how do you feel about their students' prospects for the match? I know some of the negative comments I hear about OU seem to focus on their new-school reputation and students therefore not being as competitive for residencies. Would love to hear some of your thoughts on this!

I appreciate you taking the time to write all this up! As someone who also considers OUWB to be my top-choice, how do you feel about their students' prospects for the match? I know some of the negative comments I hear about OU seem to focus on their new-school reputation and students therefore not being as competitive for residencies. Would love to hear some of your thoughts on this!
I think our matches speak for themselves. I interviewed at plenty of "top tier programs" (which I find to be arbitrary depending on specialty but that's beside the point). Unless I am mistaken, this year we were able to match everyone who applied ophthalmology (and I think urology) which is a huge feat since those are considered to be competitive. I am excited for match day itself because my classmates amaze me and I can't wait to see all the amazing places they end up!!

• Love
:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
There seems to be a constant argument of med students on here voicing the positives and negatives of OUWB... obviously, I can't speak for the school as an admitted student. However, as someone considering it as their top choice, I can say that I have done research on all the schools I applied to and all of them have their own downfalls and all of them have parts that make them unique and special. It's an honor just to be admitted into an MD school and no matter how hard the next four years might be, I am going to be a physician and I know that OUWB can get me there. All of these negative reviews have had me questioning my future here, but we can all make the best of our situations, no matter how difficult that may be. Just my take on things

Reactions: 4 users
Do any of the students know how common it is to receive a merit scholarship at OUWB?

As an M4 you probably don’t have any inkling as to how things are run for the current M1s. Considering M1 and M2s are in completely different cities than M3 and M4s.

Sure, there’s community if you go to class. That makes sense. But mandating it for grades? There’s people who could honor based on grades alone, but they got a Pass because sitting in 20 hours of lecture a week isn’t effective for time management. And because they got a Pass, they’re in the bottom half of that course. So of course you’re going to push yourself to go to class otherwise you immediately risk yourself for being in the bottom of the class.

Your class also had NBME exams from nationally vetted test banks, not professor written exams where 10% of questions have to be tossed because of student performance.

Here’s an example of receptive admins.
Students - “Can we review our tests”
Admin - “No, because we reuse questions every year. But we’ll let you see what you got wrong.”
Students - “Can we have time off between blocks”
Admin - “No, but how about we only give you 12 lectures following your Monday test”
Prepare for a lot of that ^

And I highly doubt that PRISM will allow for field trips or kickbacks at your Mentor’s house in the near future, but who knows how COVID will be. Either way, mandated wellness is not wellness. You’ll have 8 semesters of PRISM wellness, 6 semesters of Embark (which even the directors agree shouldn’t be considered “research” because of how students use it), and 6 semesters of Ethics. Ethics is great, but do we really need 3 years to learn it? Obviously you can spend an eternity learning it but oh well. At least it’s easy to get through.

The match list is solid though, you can’t argue against it. But with P/F step, meh research through the university itself, a hospital system that seems to be imploding (re: Beaumont doing what it can to save money and outsource healthcare), who knows what things will be in 5 years.

Again, if Oakland is your only A then don’t fret. Some of these things matter and some don’t. But you’ll make it through as everyone else has. You will have to deal with BS but it’s okay. Every school has shenanigans. I know people who had the choice to come here vs other schools in the area and they’re very happy with their choice. It just comes down to what kind of student you are.
I will say two things to this:

I had other MD options and still chose OUWB and am still happy with my decision would still choose it again if I had the choice.

And in regards to longitudinals, in your third year you have one ethics assignment per rotation and you don't meet for Embark you just have deadlines such as writing an abstract and making your poster. I wouldn't say these are majorly time consuming. So although it seems excessive in your first two years, your schedule is a lot different in your clerkship years.

Another M1 trying to beat the dead horse deader:

Would I choose OUWB again if I knew everything I know now?
Yes but with some hesitation. I had multiple MD acceptances. I came here for the Beaumont system not OU and I still feel like that was a good decision. I also didn’t have to make a financial decision in choosing OUWB so that made it easier.

PROS: Grass is always greener on the other side

1. Beaumont Health System:

One of the largest health systems with many residency programs. Research available if you look hard enough. So far the first semester lectures from Beaumont physicians have been incredible. Imaging lectures were superior and my opinion is that Beaumont has some good educators.

2. “Community”:

I met some really good friends that I wouldn’t trade. M2s and seniors have been incredible so far and often go out of their way to help. Big Sib/Little Sib is a good program implemented by the school. Sometimes you get lucky with a really good big. Our class also shares study materials and resources with the rest of the class.

3. Support:

I think it’s unfair to say the professor’s don’t care. Some really do go out of their way to help. One of the classmates told me that they had a 4 hours one on one tutoring session with one of the professors. There are also some good lecturers, especially the Canadians. The staff at career development and research counselors are also incredibly helpful.

I think for the most part OUWB did a good job transforming into an online curriculum given how less time they had to turn everything around. OUWB also has resources if you want counseling and mental health related help.

Grass is always greener on the other side. I have heard plenty of medical students in other schools complain about bs they have to go through. This is med school. It’s supposed to be hard. There will be no gain with no pain.

4. Match:
OUWB’s residency match has been incredible for the past few years. Step 1 is P/F and that changes everything. We don’t get to ride the scores to good matches anymore.

CONS: The elephant in the room

@Aseptique and @Medsitter16 hit the nail on the head with what is wrong with this school but I will add some more. I don’t mean to rain on your parade but I think it is important to make an educated decision while selecting a medical school.

1. Mandatories:

If you are someone that doesn’t learn by going to the class or has an attention span of a fish, think twice about coming here if you have a choice. Lectures are mostly death by powerpoint with the same information repeated over and over for 50 minutes. You can find a better explanation in outside resources in half the time. I have a feeling the instructors get paid for making their lectures exactly 50 mins because otherwise it simply doesn't make sense. They add a bunch of unnecessary minutia to fill up the 50 mins.

I was not sure about attending a school with mandatory attendance policy with a H/P/F grade. Most of the senior classmen told me that preclinical grades don’t matter because Step1 scores outweigh them by far. That has possibly changed now so I don’t know how much value the preclinical grades have. Remember you have to attend 70% of the classes to honor. If you are trying to match into a difficult specialty or into a top residency you’ll have to think about honor grades.

COVID a blessing in disguise:

A lot of times I hear from my classmates, “But they work so hard to provide us this lecture”. I couldn’t give rats about how hard they’ve worked if it doesn’t help me learn the material my way. A lot of students worked hard but had to remediate. No one gave them a pass because they worked hard. So why do the professors get to force us to learn their way of teaching? For a school that preaches “Treat every patient as unique”, they don't think that every student is unique and learns differently. I have done very well in the classes so far because we were lucky that mandatory attendance policy was scrapped. I can’t say what will happen next semester. I will say though I will not attend a single lecture which will cost me my honor grades even though I have been scoring well above 90.

There are plenty of students that like going to the classes and genuinely like the lectures. I am not advocating scraping lectures all together. I am saying that there has to be an option to either use the lecture material or the outside resources. With them doing away with the NBME exam and making it entirely professor written in the future, that is not possible.

2. Go on a wild goose chase with the Longitudinal classes

PRISM:
Let me start by saying this class doesn’t have exams or any significant work. There are reflection papers to write but you can bs your way through it in 15 minutes. That being said, the biggest waste of time in this school. I don’t know which hippie beaurocrat came up with this nonsense and decided to schedule a mandatory session a day after the exam. I feel bad for us but I feel even worse for the practicing clinicians that have to endure this. If I wanted to talk about my feelings I would do it on my own accord. I don’t understand why we are forced to have mandatory ‘fun’. Most of my team doesn’t say a word the entire session. It’s an awkward waste of time on a day that I should be using to rest.

EMBARK: It’s true this is what you make of it. It could be easy, it could be hard. However every single upperclassman has told me to do an easy EMBARK project and focus my energy on better research outside of EMBARK. Translation: it can be major pain in the rear end so do the bare minimum to get by. That being said the faculty running the EMBARK has been incredibly helpful.

PMH: If I had any morsel of interest in primary care this class took it away with constant ‘primary care good’ and ‘specialty care kills people’ rhetoric. That being said I think this class does have some use in research and there isn’t a lot of effort you have to put to get by.

MHCB: I think the faculty is good for this class and this is a necessary class given the state of health care in this country. I still don’t like it being mandatory and the assignments are dreadful.

APM: So far it had been atrocious but the last class was PBL and for the first time I learned something. I hope it will keep getting better from here on out.

TBL: Disaster.

Bottom line it doesn’t take a lot of work to get by these classes but they are a massive waste of time. Other than APM none of the classes should be mandatory. I often hear “you get to interact with your classmates in these mandatory classes”. Most of the people don’t talk and if you need to be forced to interact with your classmates you aren’t really interacting.

3. Barking up the wrong tree

It’s true they listen to student’s concerns but then they don’t do anything to fix the major problems. Moving the exam 2 hours so the Californians can take it at a reasonable time is indeed the bare minimum. I was told that the reason classes are mandatory is because some instructors drove 30 minutes to teach but only 7 students showed up to the class. So instead of realizing ‘hey students don’t like to go to class lets change our teaching strategy’, they decided to make classes mandatory to boost their own ego. Now they resist any opposition against that policy or professor written exams. The quality of questions from outside resources are far superior to anything professor written. ‘We listen to students’ is nothing but a big facade. Step 1 being P/F our energies should be spent on research and other EC but we’re stuck memorizing some minutiae that have no clinical relevance.

Conclusion: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

If this is your only MD acceptance it’s a no brainer. This post is not supposed to discourage you from attending this school. I have a strong distaste for mandatory attendance H/P/F curriculum and I am still here. Like I said before I would choose this school again for all the pros this school has. I just wish the school gave me more independence on how I study. No school is perfect, you just have to weigh the positives and negatives. This post is to help you make an educated choice. My advice to you is the same given to me by clinicians I worked with “Go to the cheapest school”. If you like schools that are highly structural and hold your hand then this is the perfect school for you. If you like independence then you’ll hate thursdays. Talk to as many honest senior classmates as possible. Skip anyone that tells you only the good about the school. Also Dean Dan and the admissions team are genuinely nice people. They’re not trying to trick you into anything.

If you have any further questions DM me.
I am not sure why everyone is reporting that TBLs are a disaster...perhaps it is because of the virtual platform? Because I did not find TBLs disastrous. I found the cases and team discussion to often be productive. On occasion were there snafus? Yes. I would say once every 2 or 3 TBLs our class would get a question back on the quiz because the question was unclear and arguments could be made for more than one answer.

I would agree that it's important to see both positives and negatives in a school. Again, I would not say OUWB is perfect. I am merely trying to emphasize the positives because some of these perspectives (not the one I am replying to) seem to be excessively negative.

I am someone who likes structure and I know this about myself. Therefore I happen to be a great fit for the curriculum with how it is structured.

I haven't really talked about TBL, for me personally, it is just another opportunity to earn extra points. I literally have never learned anything new or useful in it. The overwhelming majority of our class hates to speak out (given their ultra introvert nature and the freedom of being behind screens) and has their cameras off. So it is a really bleak scene after waking up at the crack of dawn. Extra points - yay. Otherwise - a complete waste of my time that I could use to actually learn something useful. Maybe it was different before covid? I wouldn't know.
TBL is probably indifferent for most people. It's 2 hours long and I either do laundry or the dishes during it. Tbh I dread the day that we'll be in person for it. Even the MD/DOs that attend our TBLs can't answer the minutia that we learn. Yeah, it is mostly easy points-- if you want to read a 22-page scholarly article, another 6-page article, and then the lecture PowerPoint that goes along with it. Again, indifferent.

Forgot to mention, I really do love-big little personally. However, M2's being helpful to M1s is very consistent throughout many medical schools.
I came for the WB, not the OU part.

Also, we had 3 ophtho matches (less than years prior) and 2/3 were at Beaumont itself. I don't doubt that it's amazing that they matched but matching at your home program isn't as good of a look to people who want competitive specialty + OOS

There seems to be a constant argument of med students on here voicing the positives and negatives of OUWB... obviously, I can't speak for the school as an admitted student. However, as someone considering it as their top choice, I can say that I have done research on all the schools I applied to and all of them have their own downfalls and all of them have parts that make them unique and special. It's an honor just to be admitted into an MD school and no matter how hard the next four years might be, I am going to be a physician and I know that OUWB can get me there. All of these negative reviews have had me questioning my future here, but we can all make the best of our situations, no matter how difficult that may be. Just my take on things
This is so wholesome and a very healthy perspective. That attitude belongs here! Hope to have you as a colleague soon.

• Care
Another M1 trying to beat the dead horse deader:

Would I choose OUWB again if I knew everything I know now?
Yes but with some hesitation. I had multiple MD acceptances. I came here for the Beaumont system not OU and I still feel like that was a good decision. I also didn’t have to make a financial decision in choosing OUWB so that made it easier.

PROS: Grass is always greener on the other side

1. Beaumont Health System:

One of the largest health systems with many residency programs. Research available if you look hard enough. So far the first semester lectures from Beaumont physicians have been incredible. Imaging lectures were superior and my opinion is that Beaumont has some good educators.

2. “Community”:

I met some really good friends that I wouldn’t trade. M2s and seniors have been incredible so far and often go out of their way to help. Big Sib/Little Sib is a good program implemented by the school. Sometimes you get lucky with a really good big. Our class also shares study materials and resources with the rest of the class.

3. Support:

I think it’s unfair to say the professor’s don’t care. Some really do go out of their way to help. One of the classmates told me that they had a 4 hours one on one tutoring session with one of the professors. There are also some good lecturers, especially the Canadians. The staff at career development and research counselors are also incredibly helpful.

I think for the most part OUWB did a good job transforming into an online curriculum given how less time they had to turn everything around. OUWB also has resources if you want counseling and mental health related help.

Grass is always greener on the other side. I have heard plenty of medical students in other schools complain about bs they have to go through. This is med school. It’s supposed to be hard. There will be no gain with no pain.

4. Match:
OUWB’s residency match has been incredible for the past few years. Step 1 is P/F and that changes everything. We don’t get to ride the scores to good matches anymore.

CONS: The elephant in the room

@Aseptique and @Medsitter16 hit the nail on the head with what is wrong with this school but I will add some more. I don’t mean to rain on your parade but I think it is important to make an educated decision while selecting a medical school.

1. Mandatories:

If you are someone that doesn’t learn by going to the class or has an attention span of a fish, think twice about coming here if you have a choice. Lectures are mostly death by powerpoint with the same information repeated over and over for 50 minutes. You can find a better explanation in outside resources in half the time. I have a feeling the instructors get paid for making their lectures exactly 50 mins because otherwise it simply doesn't make sense. They add a bunch of unnecessary minutia to fill up the 50 mins.

I was not sure about attending a school with mandatory attendance policy with a H/P/F grade. Most of the senior classmen told me that preclinical grades don’t matter because Step1 scores outweigh them by far. That has possibly changed now so I don’t know how much value the preclinical grades have. Remember you have to attend 70% of the classes to honor. If you are trying to match into a difficult specialty or into a top residency you’ll have to think about honor grades.

COVID a blessing in disguise:

A lot of times I hear from my classmates, “But they work so hard to provide us this lecture”. I couldn’t give rats about how hard they’ve worked if it doesn’t help me learn the material my way. A lot of students worked hard but had to remediate. No one gave them a pass because they worked hard. So why do the professors get to force us to learn their way of teaching? For a school that preaches “Treat every patient as unique”, they don't think that every student is unique and learns differently. I have done very well in the classes so far because we were lucky that mandatory attendance policy was scrapped. I can’t say what will happen next semester. I will say though I will not attend a single lecture which will cost me my honor grades even though I have been scoring well above 90.

There are plenty of students that like going to the classes and genuinely like the lectures. I am not advocating scraping lectures all together. I am saying that there has to be an option to either use the lecture material or the outside resources. With them doing away with the NBME exam and making it entirely professor written in the future, that is not possible.

2. Go on a wild goose chase with the Longitudinal classes

PRISM:
Let me start by saying this class doesn’t have exams or any significant work. There are reflection papers to write but you can bs your way through it in 15 minutes. That being said, the biggest waste of time in this school. I don’t know which hippie beaurocrat came up with this nonsense and decided to schedule a mandatory session a day after the exam. I feel bad for us but I feel even worse for the practicing clinicians that have to endure this. If I wanted to talk about my feelings I would do it on my own accord. I don’t understand why we are forced to have mandatory ‘fun’. Most of my team doesn’t say a word the entire session. It’s an awkward waste of time on a day that I should be using to rest.

EMBARK: It’s true this is what you make of it. It could be easy, it could be hard. However every single upperclassman has told me to do an easy EMBARK project and focus my energy on better research outside of EMBARK. Translation: it can be major pain in the rear end so do the bare minimum to get by. That being said the faculty running the EMBARK has been incredibly helpful.

PMH: If I had any morsel of interest in primary care this class took it away with constant ‘primary care good’ and ‘specialty care kills people’ rhetoric. That being said I think this class does have some use in research and there isn’t a lot of effort you have to put to get by.

MHCB: I think the faculty is good for this class and this is a necessary class given the state of health care in this country. I still don’t like it being mandatory and the assignments are dreadful.

APM: So far it had been atrocious but the last class was PBL and for the first time I learned something. I hope it will keep getting better from here on out.

TBL: Disaster.

Bottom line it doesn’t take a lot of work to get by these classes but they are a massive waste of time. Other than APM none of the classes should be mandatory. I often hear “you get to interact with your classmates in these mandatory classes”. Most of the people don’t talk and if you need to be forced to interact with your classmates you aren’t really interacting.

3. Barking up the wrong tree

It’s true they listen to student’s concerns but then they don’t do anything to fix the major problems. Moving the exam 2 hours so the Californians can take it at a reasonable time is indeed the bare minimum. I was told that the reason classes are mandatory is because some instructors drove 30 minutes to teach but only 7 students showed up to the class. So instead of realizing ‘hey students don’t like to go to class lets change our teaching strategy’, they decided to make classes mandatory to boost their own ego. Now they resist any opposition against that policy or professor written exams. The quality of questions from outside resources are far superior to anything professor written. ‘We listen to students’ is nothing but a big facade. Step 1 being P/F our energies should be spent on research and other EC but we’re stuck memorizing some minutiae that have no clinical relevance.

Conclusion: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

If this is your only MD acceptance it’s a no brainer. This post is not supposed to discourage you from attending this school. I have a strong distaste for mandatory attendance H/P/F curriculum and I am still here. Like I said before I would choose this school again for all the pros this school has. I just wish the school gave me more independence on how I study. No school is perfect, you just have to weigh the positives and negatives. This post is to help you make an educated choice. My advice to you is the same given to me by clinicians I worked with “Go to the cheapest school”. If you like schools that are highly structural and hold your hand then this is the perfect school for you. If you like independence then you’ll hate thursdays. Talk to as many honest senior classmates as possible. Skip anyone that tells you only the good about the school. Also Dean Dan and the admissions team are genuinely nice people. They’re not trying to trick you into anything.

If you have any further questions DM me.

Thank you so much for this very detailed explanation. For the first time I am beginning to understand what is important to succeed in medical school and what is not. Your explanation surely helps to separate the facts from fluff

Thank you so much for this very detailed explanation. For the first time I am beginning to understand what is important to succeed in medical school and what is not. Your explanation surely helps to separate the facts from fluff
Take any advice on SDN with a grain of salt. This is one person's perspective and it could be totally different for someone else. Tbh if I could pay a medical school for preclinical years and they leave me alone until I take the boards, I would be happy to do so. I personally don't think med schools are adding any value to preclinical years anymore. We have access to infinite resources that have been created by the best in the world. To some this is a radical opinion so pick your poison. SDN is filled with doom and gloom. Reality is preclinical years are exhausting no matter where you go. I would also like to mention that we are being brutally honest about our school so before you make a decision find out about the other schools as well. Goodluck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Another M1 here. I wont post anything new as everything was already said before me. I am just here to support all my ignored classmates. Many M2's tried to resist professor written exams before and it didn't happen and the people who tried to talk to them face to face had a talk with the "ethics committee". I don't know if this is some kind of a twisted flex to other schools to have low quality self written exams but it is extremely taxing to us. And I assure you most of us are of the same opinion. So make your choice wisely.

Reactions: 6 users
TBL is probably indifferent for most people. It's 2 hours long and I either do laundry or the dishes during it. Tbh I dread the day that we'll be in person for it. Even the MD/DOs that attend our TBLs can't answer the minutia that we learn. Yeah, it is mostly easy points-- if you want to read a 22-page scholarly article, another 6-page article, and then the lecture PowerPoint that goes along with it. Again, indifferent.

Forgot to mention, I really do love-big little personally. However, M2's being helpful to M1s is very consistent throughout many medical schools.
I came for the WB, not the OU part.

Also, we had 3 ophtho matches (less than years prior) and 2/3 were at Beaumont itself. I don't doubt that it's amazing that they matched but matching at your home program isn't as good of a look to people who want competitive specialty + OOS
I think 3 optho matches is pretty good for a class size of less than 125. Not every year is going to have 8 people who want to go into optho (as years prior have) just based on individual interest. I think matching all those who are interested is important, not how many. I would also say that all three optho matches are from Michigan so could further explain as to why 2 matched at Beaumont (which has an excellent program) as I think wanting to stay near family was a huge factor. I am pretty confident they could have gone elsewhere if they wanted.

edit: we also had a fourth match optho through military

Last edited:
I sent an update letter back in December, is there still any chances for interviews? Anybody know when they stop sending invites?

how long post-interview is acceptable to send a letter of interest to OUWB? I interviewed end of January

People say “they feel a part of the community” here. But that’s a garbage line they feed you during orientation. They won’t tell you about all of the students who feel isolated and alone. THOSE students will tell you of the competitiveness, cliques, and general drama that seems to surround everything at OU. And this problem starts at the top with administration and continues all the way down the pecking order.

The diversity at this school is absolutely non-existent. If we took a class photo this year you would be able to see just how “diverse” we are. Of 125 students, I think there’s 5 combined latinx and AA? Couldn’t give you an exact number because no one interacts. And the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion panels? Good luck finding time for a session with the 12 lectures, 3 labs, and 3 longitudinal sessions you’ll have that week. Just last week there were 4 days with mandatory 8 AM sessions, and 12 hours worth of mandatory attendance.

As for accommodations? Sure they opened up cadaver lab for us and switched the format of our online labs, but they don’t let us review our tests, they promote time-wasting activities that don’t benefit us (TBL, Embark, PRISM is okay but why on earth is it the day after tests??), and have incredibly poorly structured lessons/tests. Even the MDs who show up to our TBLs can’t answer questions from students because of how low-yield our info is. We had a test with 10% of questions thrown out for being poorly written. But shoutout to the faculty members that actually know how to teach us.

You’re gonna spend hours focused on minute details with no real-world application because it’s what the professors deem important to them. And if you don’t memorize those details, you’re out of luck for honoring. Which 50% of the class does for each organ system. So if you’re not honoring, you’ll be in the last quartiles. And the number of students that honor is reported to residencies, so they’ll see exactly where you fall in the order.

There is no “walking the walk” here, or waiting for the next step to get better. Everyone says “it gets better” after the first semester but that’s because it’s supposed to become NBME style. But they have scrapped that so the stress continues in the form of poor testing and low-yield material. As in: a 30% curve because of student performance on faculty-written tests.

Goodness things need to improve. The burnout is insane and is only going to get worse once they’re fully entrenched in professor based exams and longitudinal courses that take away our only rest time. And, speaking of rests, you have no breaks in the semester. You get a half-day off after you take a mid-term or a-final and then it’s back to lectures like crazy. No weekends to destress (Monday tests) and no days off here. Until Winter break at least. Thanksgiving can “count” but you’ll be studying regardless.

People are collaborative because there’s truly no way to pass without working together. If you try flying solo you’re gonna have a hard time. Not to say that this is why it’s collaborative, but goodness it would be impossible without it. And there is ONE professor who says to “study for your patients” 😂 then another professor will teach you about a disease that affects like 2 dozen people in the world. Shoutout to the professor who says to “study for your patients” though. He cares.

All in all. Do your research if you have the choice.

Current student here! In response to the M1 who shared this perspective, I am very sorry that this has been your reality! Please reach out to upperclassmen if you ever feel overwhelmed or need someone to talk to. I am sure many of us can relate to the sentiments that you shared. I'd like to make one correction though. You wrote that there are only 5 black students out of 125 in your class. From what I've heard from other M1s and M2s, there's actually only 2 black students in your class of 125. I really hope they get better this application cycle. Detroit is so close to us :(

II today. Complete 9/30, ORM, OOS. The only interview date left was March 12 which, according to the website, is the last day for interviews

how long post-interview is acceptable to send a letter of interest to OUWB? I interviewed end of January
don’t.. you applied, you interviewed, they know you’re interested.. if you haven’t even recieved a decision from admissions it’s far too early to be thinking about letters of interest

• Dislike
People say “they feel a part of the community” here. But that’s a garbage line they feed you during orientation. They won’t tell you about all of the students who feel isolated and alone. THOSE students will tell you of the competitiveness, cliques, and general drama that seems to surround everything at OU. And this problem starts at the top with administration and continues all the way down the pecking order.

The diversity at this school is absolutely non-existent. If we took a class photo this year you would be able to see just how “diverse” we are. Of 125 students, I think there’s 5 combined latinx and AA? Couldn’t give you an exact number because no one interacts. And the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion panels? Good luck finding time for a session with the 12 lectures, 3 labs, and 3 longitudinal sessions you’ll have that week. Just last week there were 4 days with mandatory 8 AM sessions, and 12 hours worth of mandatory attendance.

As for accommodations? Sure they opened up cadaver lab for us and switched the format of our online labs, but they don’t let us review our tests, they promote time-wasting activities that don’t benefit us (TBL, Embark, PRISM is okay but why on earth is it the day after tests??), and have incredibly poorly structured lessons/tests. Even the MDs who show up to our TBLs can’t answer questions from students because of how low-yield our info is. We had a test with 10% of questions thrown out for being poorly written. But shoutout to the faculty members that actually know how to teach us.

You’re gonna spend hours focused on minute details with no real-world application because it’s what the professors deem important to them. And if you don’t memorize those details, you’re out of luck for honoring. Which 50% of the class does for each organ system. So if you’re not honoring, you’ll be in the last quartiles. And the number of students that honor is reported to residencies, so they’ll see exactly where you fall in the order.

There is no “walking the walk” here, or waiting for the next step to get better. Everyone says “it gets better” after the first semester but that’s because it’s supposed to become NBME style. But they have scrapped that so the stress continues in the form of poor testing and low-yield material. As in: a 30% curve because of student performance on faculty-written tests.

Goodness things need to improve. The burnout is insane and is only going to get worse once they’re fully entrenched in professor based exams and longitudinal courses that take away our only rest time. And, speaking of rests, you have no breaks in the semester. You get a half-day off after you take a mid-term or a-final and then it’s back to lectures like crazy. No weekends to destress (Monday tests) and no days off here. Until Winter break at least. Thanksgiving can “count” but you’ll be studying regardless.

People are collaborative because there’s truly no way to pass without working together. If you try flying solo you’re gonna have a hard time. Not to say that this is why it’s collaborative, but goodness it would be impossible without it. And there is ONE professor who says to “study for your patients” 😂 then another professor will teach you about a disease that affects like 2 dozen people in the world. Shoutout to the professor who says to “study for your patients” though. He cares.

All in all. Do your research if you have the choice.

bad advice. this process is a game.
update if you get on
bad advice. this process is a game.
update if you get on the WL.
OP hasn’t even gotten a response yet so why would they send a letter? also I said to not think about it if you haven’t even heard back, my “don’t” referred to right now, not after an admissions decision.. I agree with you, if WLed shoot your shot and send an update

OP hasn’t even gotten a response yet so why would they send a letter? also I said to not think about it if you haven’t even heard back, my “don’t” referred to right now, not after an admissions decision.. I agree with you, if WLed shoot your shot and send an update
Wouldn’t it be a letter of intent instead of interest? Normally interest letters are sent before interviews

I have been complete since September and haven't heard anything yet

Complete since August and nothing. I called them just to ask what is happening, and they said they don't give updates. The person on the other end did say that they send a majority of their rejections from April to June, so yeah. The last date for interviews is March 12th, so if you haven't heard anything back by then, it is a rejection at that point, or that is how I am taking it. Lol, actually, I am high key guessing that I have been rejected already! Life happens though, but best of luck to those that have a chance, and those of you who are on the waitlist! I hope everything works out in your favor! :)

Holy moly. Current M3 and I can't say I've ever read so much decisiveness in an OUWB thread before.

Just going to add some personal thoughts. Some I've posted previously.

1) The school is 100% outdated in having lectures and requiring attendance. To my understanding the school actually started with just P/F for preclinical years but people who attended lecture complained and felt butthurt that they were putting in "more work" to get the same grade as people who just stayed at home. This being said, I 100% think that the attendance policy for honors made for a tighter community. Looking back, it was an absolute treat to basically see everyone in the class and just hang between lectures by playing Smash or Pool. Even people who didn't attend lectures would come to campus and get a study room to study on their own and come out to socialize. I think the best compromise for this would to possibly eliminate the policy after 1st semester or just get rid of attendance and to my understanding they are debating on completely eliminating the attendance requirement.

2) With regards to certain years being more competitive than others, the current M4 class is very primary care heavy. That's just what vibes with them and everyone matching Optho and Uro who applied this year is a very good sign. On the other had, the M3 class is unbelievably surgical specialty heavy. We have a crazy amount of people applying to the likes of Ortho, ENT, Gen Surg, and so on. In general however OUWB has been on an uptrend with regards to Step scores and while Step 1 is becoming pass/fail, I think it's a good indication of how well the school prepares you.

3) Which brings the next point...professor written exams. Not many schools actually use NBME, most actually use internal exams like what OUWB is/has transitioned to. Since OUWB used custom NBME exams where the school actually picks the questions, moving away from NBME exams should have no effect on the content that is being taught. Furthermore, the questions that can be used are retired questions. These questions were retired for a reason and if you think NBME can't right some pretty trash questions, boy are you wrong. I've read my fair share of stupid subject exam, Step1, and Shelf exam questions. Of course, professor written questions can be pretty trash but there were also so many obscure NBME questions that referenced some random diagram on a single lecture. I will say that I think NBME exams were less helpful than I thought they would be and looking back, regardless if there the final was NBME or professor written I would always study the same. I would study from board prep material and just flip through lectures to see what was covered. In general, I think if you covered the organ system in FA and looked at the additional random sections the school decided to cover, you would stand a good chance of honoring without even looking at lecture and I know several people who honored blocks without looking at a single lecture. This all being said, yes the professor written questions can be pretty trash but they were always pretty reasonable when we contested them. I also personally think that NBME organ system exams and practice NBME's are a lot more concrete than what I experienced on Step 1 and Shelf exams. Step 1 and Shelf exams are a lot more vague.

I wasn't able to read through everything since last posting here, but let me know if you have any questions about the school.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I've heard the administration is "concerned" about "unhappy" students. Something tells me we'll get another mandatory wellness session added to our schedule instead of changing their medieval curriculum.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone's cycle is starting to fall into place. Best of luck to everyone.

I was fortunate to receive an acceptance a couple months ago and now I am preparing for medical school to start. I was wondering if any current students could shed some light on materials that are needed/useful for medical school. I currently have an iPad I use for notes, and I am looking into getting a dual monitor. Aside from electronics and study tools, are there any items that I should add to my wardrobe (e.g. comfy tennis shoes, business professional clothes, business casual clothes)? Really any advice in materials that you thought were useful and not useful would be much appreciated. Also I am a girl in case there are any girl - specific items that are noteworthy.