2020-2021 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Kansas

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How did you receive a secondary without a primary being sent out?

I think they can just see that I have them assigned on my primary. My primary probably won’t be verified for another 2 weeks so it’s kinda strange. This is the only school it has happened at thus far

How did you receive a secondary without a primary being sent out?

Schools can opt-in to receiving the contact info (just basic name & email) of applicants who select their program when their primary application is submitted. This allows schools to administratively start a file on you while your application is pending verification, and a small number of schools decide to send the secondary application to applicants as soon as they receive that initial contact information.

Can someone who's received the secondary, post it? Thanks!

Can you post prompts? TIA!

Provide relatively brief (1,000 character maximum) answers to the following questions. Use Notepad or other non-formatting text editors if you would like to copy-paste your answers from drafts prepared elsewhere. If you copy-paste more than 1,000 characters into a text box, you will lose your answer when you click the <Save> button. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.*

1. Describe your health care experiences that involved direct exposure to physicians' clinical duties and how they have shaped your desire to apply to medical school.

2. Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.

3. Beyond academics (grades and MCATs), describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge.

4. Give an example of what you have done to make your community a better place to live.

5. Describe how you relate to someone who is very different from you. Examples of differences may be cultural, racial, religious, economic, gender/sexual orientation, lifestyle.

6. If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?

7. Please use this space to elaborate on any positive or negative impact from the COVID-19 pandemic you want us to be aware of when reviewing your application.

8. If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

9. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year, in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intention to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program.

10. If you are no longer a full-time student, briefly describe your current employment, community, medical, and/or educational activities.

11. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, note any relevant academic, employment, and personal experiences that enhance your ability to be a better physician.

12. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?

*13. Have you ever been convicted for violation of a regulation or law relating to controlled substances (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved.

*14. Have you ever been convicted of a felony (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if KU compares your secondaries from one year to the next? I've rewritten all but one prompt, but they all have the same theme just with new wording and details essentially.

Does anyone know if KU compares your secondaries from one year to the next? I've rewritten all but one prompt, but they all have the same theme just with new wording and details essentially.

Most schools will briefly compare applications for reapplications (both to review weaknesses in previous applications to see if they’ve been addressed, and to identify new experiences that weren’t included last time). I wouldn’t recycle any prompt response word-for-word since it can send the wrong signal to an Ad Com that you were looking for shortcuts (even if you weren’t and just really liked that essay response).

Most schools will briefly compare applications for reapplications (both to review weaknesses in previous applications to see if they’ve been addressed, and to identify new experiences that weren’t included last time). I wouldn’t recycle any prompt response word-for-word since it can send the wrong signal to an Ad Com that you were looking for shortcuts (even if you weren’t and just really liked that essay response).
Sounds good, I figured that might be the case so I did end up changing that last prompt. Thank you!

Does Kansas not have rolling admissions? I think I read somewhere that they send most of their A's out in March.

Does Kansas not have rolling admissions? I think I read somewhere that they send most of their A's out in March.

They do have rolling admissions, but they tend to fill their seats/offer acceptances much later in the cycle compared to other programs.

Per their website: "The School of Medicine uses a conservative rolling admissions process, with the final round of decisions sent in March."

Man. 1000 characters is not enough.

IS applicant, secondary submitted 8/3. Waiting on MCAT from 7/31. Good luck everyone!

Anyone have an idea how long until they start sending out IIs? IS/ Complete 7/22 here

Anyone have an idea how long until they start sending out IIs? IS/ Complete 7/22 here

Early Decision is by the first week of September and interviews for EDP are hosted in September.

Regular Decision interviews are hosted in October (so I assume Interview Invites will be given later in September)

Hi! Does anyone know if KU is using the VITA videos? I got an email from AAMC saying I had applied to a school using it, but I didn’t see KU’s name on the list of participating schools. Thanks!

Last year regular decision IIs started going out around the second week of September I believe.

Hi! Does anyone know if KU is using the VITA videos? I got an email from AAMC saying I had applied to a school using it, but I didn’t see KU’s name on the list of participating schools. Thanks!
No, they aren't!

Does anybody know around what time KU sends emails or application updates? Mornings? Noon? Evenings?

Interview invitation received at 3:45 Pm. My app was marked complete on August 3. EDP. I look forward to meeting all of you! Good luck

Hopefully this is the week we all get our II's... I dunno about yall but my nails have gotten awfully short these last few days :nailbiting:

Hopefully this is the week we all get our II's... I dunno about yall but my nails have gotten awfully short these last few days :nailbiting:
You think they will come this soon? I wasn't expecting them til end of September for regular decision

You think they will come this soon? I wasn't expecting them til end of September for regular decision

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they started coming the second week of September for regular decision last year

Does anyone know when interview invites go out for RD?
Historically, about ~2-3 weeks prior to the scheduled interview week. i.e. 1st week of October should be about this week or next; middle-end of October interviews should be invited around beginning of October, etc. They do not all go out at once for the entire season.

As in you’re confirming the date RD II’s start to go out or you’re exclaiming that today is 9/21?

I think KU is pretty busy with wrapping up their decisions for EDP applicants so I think RD will go start to go out once EDP is done.

Did any body get any interview invitation (RD) from KU yet?

Decisions for EDP are released next week. So I presume RD II will go out in the coming weeks as EDP applicants get wrapped up.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview invite for regular decision. IS complete 7/27

Reactions: 1 users
II here as well! IS, complete 8/4.