2020-2021 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all,
I have received an interview invite for MCG (YAY!:happy:) Does anyone have any tips for me in terms of preparing for the MMI? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in Advance.
congrats!! I've been looking at youtube videos of MMI situations and practicing with a friend. you can shoot me a message if you want to practice together and we can do a Zoom call and just run through some practice scenarios/give each other feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
congrats!! I've been looking at youtube videos of MMI situations and practicing with a friend. you can shoot me a message if you want to practice together and we can do a Zoom call and just run through some practice scenarios/give each other feedback :)
Mind if I join this? I tried to PM you but it won’t let me

Reactions: 1 user
The Augusta airport flies to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Dallas, so you'd need a connecting flight. The biggest airports nearby are Columbia, SC and Atlanta which are 1 hour and 2 hour drives on I-20 if you would prefer a direct flight!

Following the previous response to your comment, there is a shuttle called Groome that will take you from augusta to the Atlanta airport for $50, if that is cheaper than flying out of Augusta.
Awesome, thanks so much--this is very helpful!

I received an acceptance on 10/16, and I uploaded my acceptance and technical standards forms to the portal the next day. I haven't heard back from MCG since then, so I assume my seat's secured. I'm wondering if others who've been accepted have received a confirmation after uploading the forms.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mind if I join this? I tried to PM you but it won’t let me
yes of course!! I think I changed my settings so anyone can message me now but I'm about to send one to you as well. if anyone else sees this and wants to do something let me know!!

For those who have interviewed virtually, is there a dedicated station for more traditional interview questions? Thanks!

I sent you a message!

I signed a non-disclosure agreement. Read through the packet they sent you regarding the interview.
How many days prior to your interview did they send the packet? I’ve only gotten the general interview schedule email that says they’ll send more info

Anyone from an October interview heard back yet?
October interviewee here. Nope, but based on previous threads it seems like they release decisions every 3rd Friday of the month... And that would be in 2 days :0. I see your time of posting, I'm right with you bud losing sleep over this

Edit: also based on previous threads, they tend to send the emails between 8 and 9 am

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone from an October interview heard back yet?
Interviewed very end of October, in the same boat. I personally would be a little surprised if I heard anything tomorrow but it could happen. I got my II on 10/16 which would fit the 3rd Friday of the month thing if they do admission and interview decisions together. If you interviewed early or mid October you definitely could get news tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Accepted! Interviewed 10/27
MCAT: 513 GPA:3.90

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an acceptance letter! Email sent at 7:54am and interview on 10/06. I am so happy I almost can’t believe it I wish everyone the best here and I hope everyone gets their A’s soon!

(for those nervous about the interview, it’s not too bad! Others told me that it was going to be a fun, non-stressful interview and I was too nervous to believe it, but it really did turn out to be just that! Trust yourself and what you’ve accomplished! ☺️)

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted at 7:54 this morning!! Interviewed Oct 15th. So happy and sending my best wishes to all of you this app cycle and beyond!

Edit: LM = 70. IS. ORM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Sigh I interviewed in mid September and I still haven’t heard back yet. :( do you think it’s a silent rejection? I’m worried that if the only public school in my state doesn’t accept me I won’t get in anywhere this cycle. (LizzyM score 77, MCAT 519, GPA 4.0, in state)

Sigh I interviewed in mid September and I still haven’t heard back yet. :( do you think it’s a silent rejection? I’m worried that if the only public school in my state doesn’t accept me I won’t get in anywhere this cycle. (LizzyM score 77, MCAT 519, GPA 4.0, in state)
I know this won't help much, but I was 523/3.7 and was not accepted off the waitlist until June

Accepted. I will edit post with my LizzyM score later (I have to look it up).

Edit:
LizzyM 73
Interviewed 10/27
Accepted 11/20

Last edited:
Accepted this morning at 7:54 am. Interview in mid-September. 516 MCAT, 3.95 GPA. I don't know my LizzieM.

For others that are accepted, where do you pay the $100? I saw somewhere that you had to pay when you submit your Signed Acceptance and Technical Standards Form.

based off past years do they inform you if you're waitlisted?? Also, do applicants get considered each month or just the month following their interivew

based off past years do they inform you if you're waitlisted?? Also, do applicants get considered each month or just the month following their interivew
Not until the end of the regular cycle. Most people are in limbo for months.

I also interviewed back in September and in the same boat as you. Keep your head up. It’s a long cycle and there is still hope for us!

did the same, no official confirmation either!
Awesome thanks so much! I'm just a little paranoid from not hearing back, but glad to know that this seems to be their general protocol.

Accepted this morning at 7:54 am. Interview in mid-September. 516 MCAT, 3.95 GPA. I don't know my LizzieM.

For others that are accepted, where do you pay the $100? I saw somewhere that you had to pay when you submit your Signed Acceptance and Technical Standards Form.
I'm pretty sure they got rid of the deposit this year; I think previous cohorts had to pay the deposit. I didn't see any mention of a deposit on the acceptance letter for RD, and MSAR says that there's no deposit required.

Awesome thanks so much! I'm just a little paranoid from not hearing back, but glad to know that this seems to be their general protocol.

I'm pretty sure they got rid of the deposit this year; I think previous cohorts had to pay the deposit. I didn't see any mention of a deposit on the acceptance letter for RD, and MSAR says that there's no deposit required.
I saw mention of a deposit in their FAQ, but this might be outdated as you suggested. I'll ask about the deposit when I call admissions next week if we are still wondering by that time.

Congrats to those accepted! One question, what was your next move in terms of correspondence? Do is it rude not to reply back to your accepted email?
They're flooded by emails. I submitted the signed paperwork via the applicant portal as instructed.

Have been reading through this thread and wanted to highlight that with the new curriculum, the Augusta campus does a lot of pbl now. Essentially the Athens campus is the same, but Augusta has adopted a lot of what Athens does. Still lecture based, but a lot lott more pbl (renamed cbl, case based learning, now)
Further elaborating, correct me if I’m wrong because I was part of the “old curriculum” before it changed:

I think the new CBL took place of what used to be our intersession between modules. It focuses more on social aspects of medicine such such as ethics, cultural awareness, etc. The boards-relevant material is all still lecture with one day of PBL a week.

Its also possible that the CBL is the old TBL (team based learning... I know, the acronyms) which was always a part of the curriculum before the change. (@wintersnowmen Do y’all take IRAT/GRAT during CBL? If so, then they just rebranded the old TBL.)

@wintersnowmen Does that sound right? Please let me know if that is inaccurate, I don’t want to spread misinformation.

Last edited:
unsure of a lot of these terms, especiallyhaha, just have a lot of friends in the current m1 class so I’ll speak from what they’ve told me

PBL is now called CBL, of which there is a significant amount every week; PD is now called PCL (patient centered learning); unsure of what tbl is now, or if parts of it have just been integrated into the new cbl and pcl

twice a semester there is a weeklong “careers in medicine” thing during which half students have “off” which half students do things regarding future goals, etc. not fully informed of what all they do during this

curriculum is now single pass, organ systems based, as opposed to the healthy vs unhealthy two year system; two week summer break
Ahh that is very different from my experience with the “old” curriculum. Would be nice to get a current M1 on here to help answer any questions about the Augusta campus.

does MCG send out an email when your file is complete? I submitted the secondary and all required documents a couple months ago and I just realized I never got an email confirmation about a complete file.

does MCG send out an email when your file is complete? I submitted the secondary and all required documents a couple months ago and I just realized I never got an email confirmation about a complete file.
I got an email after first submitting my secondary, but I did not get one that said my file was complete. So as long as you have submitted all of their required documents you should be good! :)

does anyone know the date that orientation/first of class starts? I'm trying to plan something over the summer pretty far in advance and I can't find anything on MCG's website

does anyone know the date that orientation/first of class starts? I'm trying to plan something over the summer pretty far in advance and I can't find anything on MCG's website
The acceptance form says matriculation is in late July.

Checked my email to confirm what other person answered since I had it opened. Only received secondary submission email titled, "Medical College of Georgia Secondary Application Received." Check your status under "manage my app" in the applicant portal if you are worried about missing any documents.

Anyone else having issues uploading docs? Whenever I try to upload the technical standards (to hold my spot) I get rerouted to the home page.

I sent an email (and the doc attached) to admissions but haven't heard anything back.

To give ppl hope, I received an II today

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else having issues uploading docs? Whenever I try to upload the technical standards (to hold my spot) I get rerouted to the home page.

I sent an email (and the doc attached) to admissions but haven't heard anything back.
This kept happening to me, as well. Make sure that it's in a pdf (they operate on Microsoft Office 2003 lol so your Office documents are probably too advanced for them to open) and make sure that the pdf is the correct size. I had to make the file size smaller than the default file size for mine to work. Hope this helps!

Just wondering does anyone know a post-interview acceptance rate for MCG? I'm just curious thats all lol. I found this but idk how accurate it is.
Acceptance rates you posted are for number of acceptances out of total applications. Unless the program publishes the numbers, we wouldn't know the number of acceptances (let alone just the number of acceptances post-II). Last cycle, MCG interview 490 people and 223 people matriculated (that's >45% matriculated after interview). Number of acceptances must be higher than number of matriculants, so acceptance rate would be even higher.

Interviewed on 11/7. Hope to hear something after third Wednesday of the month. This is my first choice school (IS, rural, LM 71, MCAT 512, GPA 3.9). :)

I heard that some med schools allowed accepted students from last year to delay their start of med school by a year because of Covid, so they are taking up seats in this cycle. Does anyone know if this is true for MCG?

thoughts on letters of intent?? is it too early/ is MCG receptive to them