2020-2021 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was given a pre-II R from CUSOM last week with a cGPA of 3.3 but an sGPA barely below 3.2. MCAT is a 516 which I thought might push me through the screen here. Sadly it did not :'(
I feel like these are the types of things you can call and ask about. Maybe it was an automated system thing? If you feel like you didn't get a fair shake, I would call. Their staff gave me a really good impression from the limited exposure I've had thus far.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just applied I didn't read much about the school before. Seems like a pretty solid DO school excited for this one

I feel like these are the types of things you can call and ask about. Maybe it was an automated system thing? If you feel like you didn't get a fair shake, I would call. Their staff gave me a really good impression from the limited exposure I've had thus far.
[/QUOT

Members don't see this ad :)
Do post bac . If 4.0 post bac gpa md school I. Running and guaranteed DO next year if this cycle doesn’t pan out. GPA is a real problem despite good MCAT (assuming only 1 try)

Update: I notified the office and made my case to them, and they moved my application to the Pre-Screening Committee. Thanks for the push to notify the office, I might be back in business here!

Reactions: 5 users
II just now! Complete 7/22

Reactions: 3 users
II 54 min ago, how even is this school? I've never heard of it

Reactions: 1 users
II 54 min ago, how even is this school? I've never heard of it

Some of the highest board scores, so it’s very good. If you have any questions about the school, feel free to PM me!

Some of the highest board scores, so it’s very good. If you have any questions about the school, feel free to PM me!

Are you a current student? Do you know if they provide residency match data? I saw they have the overall match rate on their website but I couldn't find if they have more specific info on specialties and locations

You mean the 133 word single secondary I wrote for this school that took me 5 minutes lol. And yes I did
Maybe I'm nuts or maybe they send different secondaries to different people. My secondary for CUSOM was three essay questions (with an optional fourth) about how I'd fit the mission, what I'd bring to their class, and my familiarity with osteopathic medicine. It was definitely one of the longer ones I've written this cycle and I did a ton of research on the school to write it, which was why I was surprised by your response.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I'm nuts or maybe they send different secondaries to different people. My secondary for CUSOM was three essay questions (with an optional fourth) about how I'd fit the mission, what I'd bring to their class, and my familiarity with osteopathic medicine. It was definitely one of the longer ones I've written this cycle and I did a ton of research on the school to write it, which was why I was surprised by your response.
My google doc of secondaries i've written only has the mission question thats it. I applied to 11 DO schools and this was like a safety school so I can't possibly research all 26 schools i applied to

He's lying (and pretty bad at it)

Please do not post false information about secondaries. Also, if someone would like to pass along the secondary application questions so I can edit them on the first page, please tag me.

For posterity:

1. Briefly describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM Mission (1200 characters with spaces):

2. What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission. (2000 characters with spaces)

3. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (2000 characters with spaces)

4. Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM? (2000 characters with spaces)

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody without an MCAT receive an update/interview yet? I’m testing tomorrow

Anybody without an MCAT receive an update/interview yet? I’m testing tomorrow
I got my scores back recently, but sent my app in June and still have not heard. Good luck tomorrow!

I got my scores back recently, but sent my app in June and still have not heard. Good luck tomorrow!
Thanks! Hopefully you hear back soon, I think it takes a little while for them to verify scores

So if I was one of the first applicants they gave an R to pre-secondary for my sGPA of 3.18, and I didn't realize I could call and ask them to reconsider as @BaddingBreak did, and this was at the end of June, anyone think I'd have any luck calling tomorrow lol?

So if I was one of the first applicants they gave an R to pre-secondary for my sGPA of 3.18, and I didn't realize I could call and ask them to reconsider as @BaddingBreak did, and this was at the end of June, anyone think I'd have any luck calling tomorrow lol?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Personal note though, as someone who just returned to full-time academia and will be sprinting to the parking lot tomorrow at dismissal...I might be in a better mood after a 3-day weekend. Just sayin'.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Personal note though, as someone who just returned to full-time academia and will be sprinting to the parking lot tomorrow at dismissal...I might be in a better mood after a 3-day weekend. Just sayin'.

That's very true, I forgot about the 3 day weekend haha...

Can someone tell me if Campbell requires a doctor letter of rec? I was under the impression they did from when I talked to an adcom person in early july but someone on another forum said Campbell now doesn't require it?

Can someone tell me if Campbell requires a doctor letter of rec? I was under the impression they did from when I talked to an adcom person in early july but someone on another forum said Campbell now doesn't require it?

They require one prior to an offer of acceptance, but they'll interview you without one. I feel like if you explain to a doctor "hey this is the only thing keeping me from going to med school," they'd write you one.

Hi there! Sorry for my late reply, I've been off the SDN grid for the last week. I reached out to them about a week after receiving my pre-II R, and heard back that same day. I wouldn't think there is a hard and fast time limit to reach out to them regarding an appeals decision, and if there is, I certainly don't think that your "deadline" to reach out has already passed. Definitely agree, you've got nothing to lose by reaching out.

Hi there! Sorry for my late reply, I've been off the SDN grid for the last week. I reached out to them about a week after receiving my pre-II R, and heard back that same day. I wouldn't think there is a hard and fast time limit to reach out to them regarding an appeals decision, and if there is, I certainly don't think that your "deadline" to reach out has already passed. Definitely agree, you've got nothing to lose by reaching out.

No worries, and thank you! I'll try giving them a call this week.

Has anyone interviewed yet? and is able to provide me with some advice? Thank you!!!

Just submitted my secondary here. I paid using the link, how long after submitting did you guys receive complete email?

I just re-read their email and didn't realize that traffic violations were included in things I needed to email them about. I got a speeding ticket August 20th and my interview is Monday , should I email them?

Last edited:
I just re-read their email and didn't realize that traffic violations were included in things I needed to email them about. I got a speeding ticket August 20th and my interview is Monday , should I email them?
I’d say yes bc if it’s on Your record and they check they’ll find out anyway but If a school really decides to not to accept you over a minor infraction such as a speeding ticket I think that would be very stupid.

Hey everyone! Quick question: For the 2nd question that asks, "What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission.", did you guys give an example for all FIVE of the qualities you listed? Or, would giving 2 examples for 2/5 of those qualities suffice? I have 2 examples explaining 2/5 and I feel as though just explaining each of the 5 with 2ish sentences would be a bad read... but if that's what they're asking ofc I will do that. If someone knows what they prefer for this question, do let me know and thank you all in advance!

Hey everyone! Quick question: For the 2nd question that asks, "What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission.", did you guys give an example for all FIVE of the qualities you listed? Or, would giving 2 examples for 2/5 of those qualities suffice? I have 2 examples explaining 2/5 and I feel as though just explaining each of the 5 with 2ish sentences would be a bad read... but if that's what they're asking ofc I will do that. If someone knows what they prefer for this question, do let me know and thank you all in advance!
I gave 5 qualities but I had maybe 1 example that exhibited and supported 2 qualities but the rest had their own example.

I emailed admissions to get an update on my status and they said its in the final review and that the admissions committee "should be reaching out to schedule an interview soon." What does that even mean? Low key being neurotic but hoping that means I may have a good chance of receiving an II

Is anyone else getting high key mad about Campbell's 2nd essay? It's literally like 2 big essays jammed into one. A mission essay and a super long personal qualities essay. It's turning out like a Frankestine of an essay with a bunch of random stuff for me.

Is anyone else getting high key mad about Campbell's 2nd essay? It's literally like 2 big essays jammed into one. A mission essay and a super long personal qualities essay. It's turning out like a Frankestine of an essay with a bunch of random stuff for me.
Gotta suck it up and write a fire essay. Idk what to tell you lol

Gotta suck it up and write a fire essay. Idk what to tell you lol
Lol, I just finished but the essay is far from a fire essay. :D Bought to just turn this in and pray.

Last edited:
they’ll email you when they receive your secondary and again when you’re marked complete. no portal or anything
Poop. Thanks for the reply though. Not sure if it better to have a portal to continually hit refresh on looking for a change in status or none so you have absolutely nothing to go on. :bang:

Hey everyone! I’m an MS1 at CUSOM who due to some unfortunate circumstances will have to take a medical leave of absence. So I will be starting again with you all next year! I’d be happy to answer any questions about the application process or school in general.

Has anyone interviewed yet? If so, how long is it? I took the day off but trying to figure out if I can still make a late-afternoon work meeting that would be a pain to have to make up.