2020-2021 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary application:
1. Briefly describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM Mission (1200 characters with spaces):

2. What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission. (2000 characters with spaces)

3. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (2000 characters with spaces)

4. Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM? (2000 characters with spaces)

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary yet? Also, does anyone have any feedback on this school? Haven't heard much about it besides the information on their website! Any pros/cons?

Does anyone know if Campbell is LGBT friendly? I believe it is Baptist college right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've just recieved a secondary from CUSOM:

The MISSION of Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) is to educate and prepare community–based osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to care for the rural and underserved populations in North Carolina, the Southeastern United States, and the nation.
Briefly describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM Mission (1200 characters)

What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school?
Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission. (2000 characters)

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (2000 characters)

Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM? (2000 characters)

I got an email saying:
"Thank you for submitting an initial application through AACOMAS to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been received and we look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next three weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application at that time."

Does this mean I won't be receiving a secondary or a "pre-rejection" email?

I got an email saying:
"Thank you for submitting an initial application through AACOMAS to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been received and we look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next three weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application at that time."

I just got that email too. I don't have my MCAT score yet, maybe that's why? Also my sGPA is 3.18, I don't remember if they have a 3.2 cutoff, that could also be why I got that email.

I've just recieved a secondary from CUSOM:

The MISSION of Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) is to educate and prepare community–based osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to care for the rural and underserved populations in North Carolina, the Southeastern United States, and the nation.
Briefly describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM Mission (1200 characters)

What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school?
Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission. (2000 characters)

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (2000 characters)

Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM? (2000 characters)
Did you get one of those application received emails before the secondary email?

I just got that email too. I don't have my MCAT score yet, maybe that's why? Also my sGPA is 3.18, I don't remember if they have a 3.2 cutoff, that could also be why I got that email.
Oooh yea i completely forgot about the cutoff, i think they do have a cutoff at sGPA of 3.2 dammit

I got an email saying:

I got the same email. I read somewhere here on SDN in older threads that if you got below a 40% on any of the sections of the MCAT that they review your app to decide if they want to send out a secondary. I personally got a 39% on one section is why I think I got the email.

I have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA but I still got the email. Could this be because I do not have an MCAT score?

Yeah I got that email 3.81 GPA, 3.74 sGPA and am taking my MCAT in a few weeks so I don't have a score.

I have over a 3.5 sGPA and cGPA and all my MCAT subsections are above 40% (total MCAT 505+) and I still received the email... weird

Maybe its just the pre-secondary email that everyone gets! And some people go on to get secondaries while others get a more holistic review

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe its just the pre-secondary email that everyone gets! And some people go on to get secondaries while others get a more holistic review
Why might one application auto get a secondary, while others receive a holistic review? Just curious.

Well my guess is that they are sending everyone who does not have the MCAT or have a pending MCAT the received email and those that dont have anything else to add to their application got the secondary directly? But we still dont know if the people that received the secondary received this email too! This is just my guess, I have no idea haha

Reactions: 1 user
Well my guess is that they are sending everyone who does not have the MCAT or have a pending MCAT the received email and those that dont have anything else to add to their application got the secondary directly? But we still dont know if the people that received the secondary received this email too! This is just my guess, I have no idea haha
My whole application is complete and I am fairly confident my MCAT and GPA are above their cutoff...who knows though

Reactions: 1 users
I am below the 3.2 cutoff. AACOMAS verified me at a 3.01 sGPA & 3.38 cGPA. I am scheduled to take the MCAT next month. They sent me an email today saying my application has been put on hold and they will wait until I receive my grades next semester to move forward with my application. I am a current graduate student and I graduate next semester.

Got the pre-secondary email today. 507 MCAT (lowest section 125), 3.5 cGPA, 3.33 sGPA fwiw

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200617-221636__01.jpg

Found these in my inbox, looks like they do manually select 2'

I did not receive the email, but I did receive the secondary app. All that is missing from my app is my MCAT score.

Did you get one of those application received emails before the secondary email?
I did not receive any ‘received’ email of that kind, just the secondary. I did have my MCAT scores in already with an early verified aacomas.

People who received secondaries, are you in state?

I am from in state; NC resident.

Update: Just received secondary, OOS, no MCAT score yet, 3.8 GPA. They must be going through them manually.

Reactions: 2 users
Those who got their secondaries without an MCAT score, do you mind posting your stats?
I got the ‘received’ email as well, but I have yet to take the MCAT. My stats are 3.58 cGPA and 3.40 sGPA

Update: Just received secondary, OOS, no MCAT score yet, 3.8 GPA. They must be going through them manually.

I wonder what order they are looking at the applications in. I haven't received a secondary yet and im starting to get nervous

I wonder what order they are looking at the applications in. I haven't received a secondary yet and im starting to get nervous
Don't worry. Not sure why they are trickling in. I have friends who actually have an MCAT score and about the same GPA and they are still waiting for a secondary.

Does anyone know if Campbell is LGBT friendly? I believe it is Baptist college right?

Hi Decree, I'm a rising third year student at this school and I do not identify as LGBTQ and thus cannot speak to the experience personally. The school's mission does include Christianity but I have not personally observed any intolerant behavior. I have several classmates that openly identify as LGBTQ. My class elected some of those individuals to high leadership positions in student government and they established our Med Pride club. I also know that inclusion for LGBTQ students specifically is very important to our student affairs director. I am personally not Christian and I have never felt uncomfortable at CUSOM. There are students in our class that are Jewish and Muslim but again I cannot speak to their experiences specifically. I've also never had any pro-life stuff pushed on me and I felt like our faculty that teach the legal, ethical, and medical aspects of reproductive health handled it in a very appropriate and nonpolitical manner. I think ultimately, it's med school and medical ethics requires tolerance and acceptance so that's what I've generally observed. I think this is a pretty accepting place and vastly different from what I understand Liberty or Loma Linda would be like. My advice on this thread for the last couple years has always been the same: don't let the Christianity part of the mission statement prevent you from applying. I could write a list of unrelated frustrations I have with my school, but I think it's one of the best DO schools out there and certainly the best of the schools that are less than 10 years old.

Hey applicants! I am a rising third year student at CUSOM. There are several of us current students that tend to poke around on the applicant thread to answer questions when time allows. While I do answer DMs, I ask that if your question can be asked in a way that does not reveal identifying info, please post it on the thread so that others can see the answer. My disclaimer is that I will not answer questions about admissions logistics and timelines because things may have changed since I applied particularly given the extraordinary circumstances this year.

EDIT: my biggest tip for applicants this year is to google the school you are interested in + "outcomes." This will get you the school's board scores and give you a general idea of the school's preclinical curriculum quality, the aptitude of the students they are attracting, and the opportunities available to them after graduation. This is the first year this info has been available to applicants and you should absolutely take advantage. It will give you a much better idea of where the school stands than the incomplete match lists and random praise/trash posts that appear on SDN. I also think you'll find that CUSOM stacks up quite well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Those who received their secondary application emails, when was your AACOMAS application verified and when did you initially submit it?

Those who received their secondary application emails, when was your AACOMAS application verified and when did you initially submit it?
Submitted 5/26, verified 5/27, secondary received 6/18. Hope this helps, good luck!

Submitted 5/26, verified 5/27, secondary received 6/18. Hope this helps, good luck!
Thank you! Yes, it does help. I submitted mine on 5/28. But, wasn't verified until 6/17. AACOMAS received all of my transcripts, but failed to confirm one of them until I called.

I wonder if that impacts when my application will be reviewed.

Received secondary today. I was transmitted on the first day so I am not sure what the hold up was for me. I am confident my stats are above their screens/cutoffs. I am OOS for context

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the secondary today!
Those of you that got secondaries, did you get an email Monday saying that your application has been recieved and they are going to get back to you in less than three weeks?

Those of you that got secondaries, did you get an email Monday saying that your application has been recieved and they are going to get back to you in less than three weeks?
Yeah about 2 weeks ago for me

June 17: email for application received
June 25: secondary invite

I doubt that's the case, they are probably just waiting for your MCAT score if you haven't taken it yet

Haha, no I got the rejection email this afternoon. I was baaarely below their sGPA cutoff, so I expected it I guess. Thanks for having faith in me though

Haha, no I got the rejection email this afternoon. I was baaarely below their sGPA cutoff, so I expected it I guess. Thanks for having faith in me though
omg i got mine 2 fridays ago (literally the first week they even saw our stuff) and i was literally 0.01 less than the cutoff :/

I am sorry to hear this!! I sincerely hope you have better luck at another school! Keep your chin up; this cycle has been less than traditional.

I got rejected today too because one of my MCAT sections was in the 39th percentile and they generally require 40th in each section. It’s disheartening to already have been rejected so early in the cycle. Hopefully another school will work out better for us!