2019-2020 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
"Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting."

Is it appropriate to talk about a hobby or something for this? Or are we really supposed to say something like "They notice I'm a strong leader" lol.

"Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting."

Is it appropriate to talk about a hobby or something for this? Or are we really supposed to say something like "They notice I'm a strong leader" lol.
To me it sounds like they want you to talk about something besides what’s on your app, so hobbies would be perfect. I’m personally talking about something kind of random that people generally do find interesting about me.

To me it sounds like they want you to talk about something besides what’s on your app, so hobbies would be perfect. I’m personally talking about something kind of random that people generally do find interesting about me.
Makes sense, thanks!

Anyone still not receives secondary from Wake Forest?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone still not receives secondary from Wake Forest?
Still waiting here, just wait through the beginning of this week. They're coming in slowly but surely.

Reactions: 1 users
How does casper work? Will they look at my application if I am scheduled to take it? Or will they wait until they get my score?

How does casper work? Will they look at my application if I am scheduled to take it? Or will they wait until they get my score?
The email I received states "All applicants are required to provide a CASPer test score before your application will be reviewed. " So I'm guessing it has to be scored first.

Anyone not received a confirmation email from Wake Forest after secondary submission?

Secondary received but will not be returning bc of the cutoffs. Good luck everyone!

Secondary received. Been having difficulty responding to their "why us" question because their website and MSAR is devoid of information

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received. Been having difficulty responding to their "why us" question because their website and MSAR is devoid of information

I thought I was the only one lol

Still no secondary received :/

How long is the dedicated USMLE I study time at this school? From their website it appears there is 4 weeks (maybe 5) starting with the new curriculum Wake! Ready. There appears to be some time to study during break between year 1 and 2 but I'm not sure how practical it is to study that far ahead before finishing all the modules. Any current students that can comment?
IIRC its technically like 4 or 5 weeks (Jan - early/mid feb), but classes end mid/late december so there are another 2 weeks that they don't count as dedicated study time, but everyone uses it for that. People are using the summer between 1st/2nd year for different things. I'm going back through and reviewing material from the first half of the year to keep it fresh, others are doing nothing. I know a few people who are studying ahead, but I personally think its a waste of time.

does the "non-academic challenge" need to be something serious? I was going to write about conquering my fear of driving after an incident but not sure if they were looking for something more along the lines of a health/family challenge?

Secondary received on the 28th. Working on their expand on your MME / Why Us Essay now.

I would love to get some help learning what's up and coming in Winston-Salem healthcare development/music scene as well as the school itself in terms of education, unique programs, hospitals, etc. So far, I love their wide range of opportunities for summer research & electives and a plethora of student interest groups such as DEAC and Gay Straight Alliance (+ nice-looking downtown campus).

Good luck writing guys!

does the "non-academic challenge" need to be something serious? I was going to write about conquering my fear of driving after an incident but not sure if they were looking for something more along the lines of a health/family challenge?

I wrote about how I dealt with my support feeding in league of legends

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Submitted, now to wait on Casper to be scored

Submitted Saturday, anyone else waiting for them to receive letters and MCAT scores?

So I pass the MCAT cutoff, but my sGPA doesn't (thanks to freshman me with a C+ and a C.) Should I still apply? I have all the essays done, but I don't want to submit if I'm just donating the $125

So I pass the MCAT cutoff, but my sGPA doesn't (thanks to freshman me with a C+ and a C.) Should I still apply? I have all the essays done, but I don't want to submit if I'm just donating the $125

You should just call them. A 1 minute phone conversation could save you $125.

Submitted Saturday, anyone else waiting for them to receive letters and MCAT scores?
Nvm, just got the email that mine is verified and complete.

Do they screen the secondaries? Or just send them out to all verified applicants?

Secondaries are not screened, as many people under their minimum received them as seen earlier in the thread. However as the email says they apparently will screen out responses based on stats.

As to why they don't screen the $econdary invites in the first place..

Reactions: 2 users
Secondaries are not screened, as many people under their minimum received them as seen earlier in the thread. However as the email says they apparently will screen out responses based on stats.

As to why they don't screen the $econdary invites in the first place..
I think I'm going to save my $125 for another secondary. Thanks for the info everyone and good luck with the cycle. Praying for everyone to have a successful one!

Just a heads up, they don’t take American Express.

I'm surprised any places take AmEx as they charge a lot more than Visa/MasterCard (~3% vs ~2% of the sale).

Anybody having trouble logging back into the app after submitting?
yes, but if you look at the email they sent, there's another link that allows you to see the "checklist" (this is different from the link where we filled out the secondary questions)

question! I just submitted and usually for other schools, I got 2 emails (1 saying my secondary has been submitted, and another 1 saying all application materials have been received (including letters of rec). For Wake Forest, though, I only got the secondary received email. I checked the portal and it doesn't say whether or not they have received my letters or CASPer results (both of which I already turned in)

anyone have thoughts on this?

yes, but if you look at the email they sent, there's another link that allows you to see the "checklist" (this is different from the link where we filled out the secondary questions)

question! I just submitted and usually for other schools, I got 2 emails (1 saying my secondary has been submitted, and another 1 saying all application materials have been received (including letters of rec). For Wake Forest, though, I only got the secondary received email. I checked the portal and it doesn't say whether or not they have received my letters or CASPer results (both of which I already turned in)

anyone have thoughts on this?
It took a few days before my Casper and letters showed up. I got a second complete email when that happened.

Secondary received on 6/28/19 and submitted on 7/5/19. I've already taken my CASPer and submitted the scores.

GPA 3.77, MCAT 511

I was in the area of Winston-Salem a few years ago for an Appalachian Trail hike and loved it so much. Does anyone know how long it will be before we hear about interviews? I'm so excited about this school!

Secondary received on 6/28/19 and submitted on 7/5/19. I've already taken my CASPer and submitted the scores.

GPA 3.77, MCAT 511

I was in the area of Winston-Salem a few years ago for an Appalachian Trail hike and loved it so much. Does anyone know how long it will be before we hear about interviews? I'm so excited about this school!

According to the last 2 cycles (at least based on responses in SDN threads) the first invites were sent out beginning the first or second week of August. So I would expect this year to be similar!

Holy crap this secondary was a beast.
I pre-wrote this one first and was worried that all secondaries were gonna be that long LOL. Then you have some where they don't even have a prompt...

"If you have received a C grade or lower in any coursework, please explain"
I have one C+ from one class. Should I explain this?

No, a C+ is higher than a C.
This is incorrect, I just spoke to the admissions lady and C+ IS included. This is just a good example of taking everything you read on here with a grain of salt. If you have a question ALWAYS call and ask.

Reactions: 4 users
For the interesting/surprising fact, I have already mentioned my most unique and interesting things in the creativity prompt, as well as one of my Primary’s “Most Meaningful” essays which I wrote about surfing. Thus, for this 50 word prompt, I am considering using that I have been to 13 different countries. Is there any way I can say that without sounding like a douchebag? Should I reference the other stuff I’ve written about previously instead/as well?

For the interesting/surprising fact, I have already mentioned my most unique and interesting things in the creativity prompt, as well as one of my Primary’s “Most Meaningful” essays which I wrote about surfing. Thus, for this 50 word prompt, I am considering using that I have been to 13 different countries. Is there any way I can say that without sounding like a douchebag? Should I reference the other stuff I’ve written about previously instead/as well?
I'm not good at saying what you should and shouldn't include in your essays but I can tell you that the creativity prompt isn't on there this year so you might be able to say what you were going to say there.