2019-2020 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they sent out 551 last year, right? because that's the number they're at on the current cycle's tracker
I guess they aren’t that into stats. No II despite 100 percentile mcat and other T10 IIs.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess they aren’t that into stats. No II despite 100 percentile mcat and other T10 IIs.

giphy.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
This is a friendly reminder that no MCAT score will guarantee an applicant an interview at this or any other institution.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users

This is a friendly reminder that no MCAT score will guarantee an applicant an interview at this or any other institution.
Your comment seems to overlook that the application isn’t reliant on an mcat score; as it references other T10 II success. Vandy has a reputation of leaning toward higher stats, this N=1 anecdote suggests otherwise for that reputation.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Your comment seems to overlook that the application isn’t reliant on an mcat score; as it references other T10 II success. Vandy has a reputation of leaning toward higher stats, this N=1 anecdote suggests otherwise for that reputation.
OK. I amend my statement. No MCAT score and/or interview at a top institution guarantees you an interview at another top institution.

Reactions: 10 users
not to contradict but traditionally Vanderbilt likes high stats. They dont automatically admit once interviewed and expect you to promise your first born for that A.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They waitlist a whole bunch. So make your own extrapolation from there as to what it takes..
you can do an act. but we all know it's an act. It's unreasonable for them to think just because someone promises their first-born, then they will sacrifice it. Lol. Those schools have to learn Game Theory and Contract Law. SMH... The side effect, whcih those schools don't bother to foresee, is that the people who really want to go there get buried by those who just want to get an acceptance at zero cost other than writing a asskissing piece.

you can do an act. but we all know it's an act. It's unreasonable for them to think just because someone promises their first-born, then they will sacrifice it. Lol. Those schools have to learn Game Theory and Contract Law. SMH... The side effect, whcih those schools don't bother to foresee, is that the people who really want to go there get buried by those who just want to get an acceptance at zero cost other than writing a asskissing piece.
Vanderbilt is a small expensive school.
People who interview there do get into many other schools.
Most of the merit scholarships are gone to the initial admits.
So people are not always motivated to write those letters pledging their first born because they are looking at other admissions and deciding they dont actually care to put in the effort to write that letter.

Vanderbilt is a small expensive school.
People who interview there do get into many other schools.
Most of the merit scholarships are gone to the initial admits.
So people are not always motivated to write those letters pledging their first born because they are looking at other admissions and deciding they dont actually care to put in the effort to write that letter.
my point is that writing the letter doesn't mean anything, because it's not binding.

my point is that writing the letter doesn't mean anything, because it's not binding.
Sure but you are missing the forest. People dont actually care to write them in many cases because most people are honest and don't give a rodent's behind that they did not get into that one school for the bragging rights if they are not really interested.

Reactions: 3 users
Sure but you are missing the forest. People dont actually care to write them in many cases because most people are honest and don't give a rodent's behind that they did not get into that one school for the bragging rights if they are not really interested.
I noticed your username has “vandy” in it. Coincidence?

Totally agree with this, and going through the process myself has made me change my view on LOIs. I remember being at the interview day of one school that strongly encouraged sending LOIs towards the end of the interview cycle, for example, and at the time thought: that's just silly, literally every person in this room is going to send a letter because they just told us to.

Once you have an acceptance that you're happy with though, as many Vandy applicants will, that changes. Sure, writing a letter is only 10 minutes of work, but if someone doesn't care that much anymore, why would they even bother with those 10 minutes? So the school is still getting some useful info out of those letters.

I noticed your username has “vandy” in it. Coincidence?

I have no relationship to Vandy. It is someone's name in my family.

Totally agree with this, and going through the process myself has made me change my view on LOIs. I remember being at the interview day of one school that strongly encouraged sending LOIs towards the end of the interview cycle, for example, and at the time thought: that's just silly, literally every person in this room is going to send a letter because they just told us to.

Once you have an acceptance that you're happy with though, as many Vandy applicants will, that changes. Sure, writing a letter is only 10 minutes of work, but if someone doesn't care that much anymore, why would they even bother with those 10 minutes? So the school is still getting some useful info out of those letters.

Exactly. In June people are willing to do anything for an interview but by December when a school puts you on waitlist but you have a few admissions under your belt, you really dont care all that much and think may be someone else needs that admission more than me. I have a sample size of one from earlier cycles who did not write one for a different reason - not planning to attend due to fit.

Vandy said during the interview day they do value letters of interest. In terms of letters of intent, the portal says wait till April:

Can I submit a letter of intent? Yes. We welcome letters of intent after April 30, 2020

Reactions: 1 users
This just reeks of privilege and entitlement...

I actually didn't take it that way. I think the point was not that s/he definitely deserved an interview but that typically a school that is loves high-stat applicants would have at least offered one (much like other T10 peers did). That goes to show how random the process can seem at times. Some lower ranked schools didn't even offer me interviews whereas some of my reaches offered me IIs.

• Love
So are we thinking that the admissions committee meeting was today and the calls/Rs/defers will start tomorrow?

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
For reference on this, when I interviewed they said the admin committee would meet in the last week before Christmas vacation and send out calls afterwards. Can't remember if they said Tuesday or Thursday, but last year calls happened on Wednesday of the analogous week

So are we thinking that the admissions committee meeting was today and the calls/Rs/defers will start tomorrow?

Today could (should? must??!) be the day y’all!!!! Wooooooooooo

(Y'all added for *southern flair* ~~~ LOVE me, VANDY!!! See!?? I FIT IN!)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

MSTP admissions committee at least is meeting today and told us we could hear back before Christmas, but I'm assuming they are on a similar timeline to MD admissions.

EDIT: lmao i'm a tweak and just trying to get on Christmas break. Thought yesterday was Wednesday. MSTP admissions committee is meeting on WEDNESDAY, not yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
MSTP admissions committee at least is meeting today and told us we could hear back before Christmas, but I'm assuming they are on a similar timeline to MD admissions.

Well, we'll know either when the first person gets the call and posts here today or when the day passes and nobody hears. Best of luck y'all, hope it's good news and soon!

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED!

....that I'll probably have to wait until Thursday or Friday to hear back....

• Angry
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED!

....that I'll probably have to wait until Thursday or Friday to hear back....
you know those carnival games where you hammer a platform to send up a weight to hit the bell? My stomach just did that lol

• Haha
Happy to give the admissions office an anonymous call from my work phone around 13:30 - 14:00 or so and report back on expected timelines if folks want

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
I didn’t apply here, but my friends have been anxious about this school. I want you ALL to know that regardless of whether or not you get the magical phone call/email, you are all WORTHY, smart, amazing future doctors. This process is awful, so keep your chins up! The majority of people don’t even apply to med school, let alone have a shot at vandy. I hope you all get a magical A in time for christmahannakwanzakkuh!!

• Love
Happy to give the admissions office an anonymous call from my work phone around 13:30 - 14:00 or so and report back on expected timelines if folks want
Ill pay you in reactions

• Haha
Okay, made the call. They're predicting Friday and into the weekend, so reset those anxiety meters for 48-96ish hours!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I kid you all not. I got a call from Nashville, TN.

Out. Of. All. Days.

Spam

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
...Can you make an anonymous call about whether they are finished with interview invites? Haha

• Wow
I am either about to love this thread or hate it tomorrow lol. Good luck everyone, this is my absolute top choice!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users