2019-2020 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For someone who is/was on the 'primary' waiting list, did you guys receive a separate email/notification from Capt. Liotta or admission office?
I understand there is only ONE waitlist based on the previous threads, but I saw some people saying that they are on the 'primary' waiting list.

If there is primary waiting list, did the past admission cycles run up to the primary waitlist or throughout the whole waitlist?
I try not to lose my hope up to the end of July, but I understand that most offers are tendered by early June based on the blue handout from the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For someone who is/was on the 'primary' waiting list, did you guys receive a separate email/notification from Capt. Liotta or admission office?
I understand there is only ONE waitlist based on the previous threads, but I saw some people saying that they are on the 'primary' waiting list.

If there is primary waiting list, did the past admission cycles run up to the primary waitlist or throughout the whole waitlist?
I try not to lose my hope up to the end of July, but I understand that most offers are tendered by early June based on the blue handout from the school.
In past years I think they went through the whole primary waitlist. I’m on it also for Navy. I emailed Cpt. Liotta with an update about my application and in his reply, he mentioned that there is only a slim chance of new positions opening up in the class. Sooooo not looking too good unfortunately. Thankfully my CTE deadline for the school I was accepted to was extended to June 29th but I don’t have high hopes at this point.

Reactions: 2 users

The primary waitlist is the whole waitlist. People just sometimes confuse it because the idea of a primary waitlist sort of implies there is another waitlist, but there isn’t. Just the primary waitlist and then the hold and alternate lists. Last year the Navy and the Air Force went completely through the primary waitlist into the hold list. Not sure about the Army but I think they did. But covid has thrown a wrench in things so I’m not sure how well you can predict this cycle based on last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In past years I think they went through the whole primary waitlist. I’m on it also for Navy. I emailed Cpt. Liotta with an update about my application and in his reply, he mentioned that there is only a slim chance of new positions opening up in the class. Sooooo not looking too good unfortunately. Thankfully my CTE deadline for the school I was accepted to was extended to June 29th but I don’t have high hopes at this point.
Thanks for the response. I might need to be more realistic as well...

The primary waitlist is the whole waitlist. People just sometimes confuse it because the idea of a primary waitlist sort of implies there is another waitlist, but there isn’t. Just the primary waitlist and then the hold and alternate lists. Last year the Navy and the Air Force went completely through the primary waitlist into the hold list. Not sure about the Army but I think they did. But covid has thrown a wrench in things so I’m not sure how well you can predict this cycle based on last year.
Thanks for the clarification. I try not to lose my hope until the end of July, but at the same times I need to focus on my other works as well. Finger crossed not only for myself but also for others on the waitlist! :)

Anyone else just get the official “we don’t anticipate any more openings” letter?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else just get the official “we don’t anticipate any more openings” letter?

My friend got that letter the day she got accepted, and I know three other people in my class at least who got in after they received it. I think they are just trying to manage expectations, but it doesn’t mean no for sure.

Also got that email today. Wish they sent it two weeks ago but I could have guessed by this point. What a shame to have disappointing news on such a nice day. Oh well off to the mountains for some fishing!

My friend got that letter the day she got accepted, and I know three other people in my class at least who got in after they received it. I think they are just trying to manage expectations, but it doesn’t mean no for sure.
I got this in the snail mail and got the call like 3 days later. There may be 1-2 spots left but yes I think they're managing expectations and want you to think about your next steps. It's disappointing and definitely feels like the end of the road but there may be a few more spots open. Good luck to all no matter where life takes you- it's been a long and crazy year.

Yep this is the news I got as well, though they're keeping our app open, there's like 1-3 maybe spots open. I guess this ended up being a really competitive year :\.

Anywho restarted my application process, looks like AAMC transcripts are a complete ****show this year with the ongoing protest/COVID19.

Goodluck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently got a medical waiver approved, and I also didn't receive an email. Maybe this means we still have some hope?

I recently got a medical waiver approved, and I also didn't receive an email. Maybe this means we still have some hope?

I spoke with admissions there's at best 1 to 3 more slots available from the waitlist, and they've pretty much been decided. They suggest at this point to reapply and get your re-app ready ASAP.

Just an FYI, if you haven't started already getting transcripts to the AAMC this cycle has been a massive pain in the ass (there's ridiculous delays on transcripts by mail).

I would immediately get started on getting your 2021 cycle application going if you haven't already

Yeah-- I don't mean that like he wouldn't care to receive it. Not at all. What I mean is that he's busy, gets tons of emails and I'd hate for your letter to be lost this way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
What is the prestige level of USUHS? How does it compare with other civilian medical schools? And is it possible to do civilian residencies after going to USUHS?

What is the prestige level of USUHS? How does it compare with other civilian medical schools? And is it possible to do civilian residencies after going to USUHS?

Please don’t post the same thing multiple times in multiple places. That’s called cross posting.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been accepted into my home state's MD program, so I am fortunate to not have to worry about reapplying during these crazy times. Not getting into USUHS is still very disappointing to me. The best I can do is hope that I am being considered for the possible 1-3 spots open.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been accepted into my home state's MD program, so I am fortunate to not have to worry about reapplying during these crazy times. Not getting into USUHS is still very disappointing to me. The best I can do is hope that I am being considered for the possible 1-3 spots open.

Have you considered the military scholarships? They're still an option if you want to serve

An HPSP recruiter emailed me yesterday saying that there are still scholarships available for this year and that they could use the waiver that was approved through USUHS. The recruiter knew that I was waitlisted at USUHS. I am somewhat curious how he got that information. Nonetheless, I think the HPSP would be a good route for me if I do not get into USUHS. I appreciate everyone's input.

An HPSP recruiter emailed me yesterday saying that there are still scholarships available for this year and that they could use the waiver that was approved through USUHS. The recruiter knew that I was waitlisted at USUHS. I am somewhat curious how he got that information. Nonetheless, I think the HPSP would be a good route for me if I do not get into USUHS. I appreciate everyone's input.

What branch?

Cool. Navy won’t accept the USUHS medical stuff, but I think Army and AF do.
That's good to know. I am on the Navy waitlist, but I also listed Army as one of my choices. There are pros and cons between the two branches that make it somewhat difficult to decide. Army has more surgical residency slots and have less of a chance of becoming a GMO. With the Navy, there is more of a possibility of traveling and seeing some very neat places. While it would be nice to go directly from an intern to a resident, I think flight or dive medicine for 3 years would be a unique and enjoyable experience. TBH, I think I would be happy with either branch.

That's good to know. I am on the Navy waitlist, but I also listed Army as one of my choices. There are pros and cons between the two branches that make it somewhat difficult to decide. Army has more surgical residency slots and have less of a chance of becoming a GMO. With the Navy, there is more of a possibility of traveling and seeing some very neat places. While it would be nice to go directly from an intern to a resident, I think flight or dive medicine for 3 years would be a unique and enjoyable experience. TBH, I think I would be happy with either branch.

A lot of people go straight through in the Navy. It depends on the specialty and you as an individual. Also, the Army has GMOs. They just call them battalion surgeons, and they can get sent there after residency unlike the Navy. But the Army has more GME. So it really just depends. They both have pluses and minuses like you said.

I'm glad you mentioned that there is still a decent chance to be a battalion surgeon after residency in the Army, because then you have to factor in the possibility of skill atrophy.

I'm glad you mentioned that there is still a decent chance to be a battalion surgeon after residency in the Army, because then you have to factor in the possibility of skill atrophy.

Yeah. That’s a problem in all branches too though. If and when you get stationed to a smaller mtf where you mostly see low acuity bread and butter stuff, you will lose some skills.

Army GMO can happen after intern year for a number of reasons, but mostly after a transitional year if you don't match. To my knowledge, one would not do GMO after residency. Certain specialties will have battalion surgeon assignments as staff, but that's to be balanced with clinical work.

Army GMO can happen after intern year for a number of reasons, but mostly after a transitional year if you don't match. To my knowledge, one would not do GMO after residency. Certain specialties will have battalion surgeon assignments as staff, but that's to be balanced with clinical work.

I know several Army docs in various specialties who have unwillingly done battalion surgeon tours after residency. They aren’t called GMOs but they are basically the same thing. When you get pulled from an attending OB/GYN spot to be a primary care sick call doc for 3 years, that sucks.

Just fair warning. It’s certainly not the worst thing in the world but it is definitely a possibility.

Hi everyone, I know the cycle is over yet, but I had a question regarding the upcoming cycle as a reservist. I will be in IRR status early next year-- does this mean I still need the Letter of Release or Approval to Apply? On the USU site, it says that IRR members do not need the letters, but I wasn't sure if that applied to me because I will still be in the service for the better part of the cycle. I also apologize if this has been asked before. As a lurker for some time now, I wish the best for those still waiting.

Hi everyone, I know the cycle is over yet, but I had a question regarding the upcoming cycle as a reservist. I will be in IRR status early next year-- does this mean I still need the Letter of Release or Approval to Apply? On the USU site, it says that IRR members do not need the letters, but I wasn't sure if that applied to me because I will still be in the service for the better part of the cycle. I also apologize if this has been asked before. As a lurker for some time now, I wish the best for those still waiting.

Your best bet would be to ask admissions, but my gut would say no since you won’t be in when you will be commissioning. But double check because the military is sometimes logic averse.

But double check because the military is sometimes logic averse.
I know too well how it is. I confirmed that I won't need the letter for the HPSP application. But as I've come to know, redundancy is Army's unspoken 8th value. I guess I should know better than to generalize my finding to USUHS admission. I will contact an admissions counselor. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
I know too well how it is. I confirmed that I won't need the letter for the HPSP application. But as I've come to know, redundancy is Army's unspoken 8th value. I guess I should know better than to generalize my finding to USUHS admission. I will contact an admissions counselor. Thank you!

Let us know what they say.

I just got the email from admissions about not anticipating a spot to open. Seems like they're being received at different times for anyone else still waiting for it

• Sad
For those on the waitlist, I would also contact the admissions committee and ask for feedback as to how to improve your application for the next cycle.

I did and got a lot of great suggestions as to what was lacking in emphasis on my application this cycle. Some of which I've already started working on prior to my next application cycle.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive I had a question about the opportunities of being a medical doctor through USUHS later on in life - like what sort of opportunities by being a part of the military could there be? This could be anything - politics, health policy change, etc. Please let me know.

For those on the waitlist, I would also contact the admissions committee and ask for feedback as to how to improve your application for the next cycle.

I did and got a lot of great suggestions as to what was lacking in emphasis on my application this cycle. Some of which I've already started working on prior to my next application cycle.
Who did you contact for that? I asked my admissions counselor a while ago and was told there wasn’t anything they could say.

I got a response from my admissions counselor who in turn asked the director of admissions herself. I DO need to send in the Letter of Approval directly to the admissions counselor.

Yeah that’s why I wanted you to double check. HPSP and USUHS are often at opposite ends of the spectrum for some reason.

How long did he speak with you? Did He speak most of the time or did you chime in at all? Was it encouraging? How did you feel after wards?

I think it was mutual feedback on what I can improve on for the upcoming application cycle, and an overall review of my application.

I think it was mutual feedback on what I can improve on for the upcoming application cycle, and an overall review of my application.
Did you send him an email or was it a phone call through admissions?

Did you send him an email or was it a phone call through admissions?

Try emailing and see if they respond! See if you can set up a phone call after

P.S. I reached out and thought that it was helpful, additionally I think in my opinion it shows continued interest in the school along with continued follow-up which I have been doing.

Furthermore I think if anything comes up in your previous application that you feel didn't get addressed, you can bring it up and try to reconcile it in your updated application.

For me my main red flag was the overwhelming heavy tilt in my experience towards research vs clinical. Although I have hundreds of hours in clinical volunteering, public health service, and community leadership/volunteering. The thing that stuck out was my 20k+ hours in research (+ publications/patents) that over shadowed the clinical side (Not surprising, I originally applied MD/PhD). My other major issue was lack of military background (they wanted to know, that I really understood what I was getting myself into), I've sinced remedied that by volunteering with the USO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try emailing and see if they respond! See if you can set up a phone call after

P.S. I reached out and thought that it was helpful, additionally I think in my opinion it shows continued interest in the school along with continued follow-up which I have been doing.

Furthermore I think if anything comes up in your previous application that you feel didn't get addressed, you can bring it up and try to reconcile it in your updated application.

For me my main red flag was the overwhelming heavy tilt in my experience towards research vs clinical. Although I have hundreds of hours in clinical volunteering, public health service, and community leadership/volunteering. The thing that stuck out was my 20k+ hours in research (+ publications/patents) that over shadowed the clinical side (Not surprising, I originally applied MD/PhD). My other major issue was lack of military background (they wanted to know, that I really understood what I was getting myself into), I've sinced remedied that by volunteering with the USO.
Wait if you have hundreds of hours of clinical volunteering and community leadership why was it bad that you had a lot of research hours. Doesn't that look really good to the admissions committee? (One of my most meaningful's for this application cycle was research hours at the NIH.... )

Also when you said you were following up with them, do you mean you have been emailing the admissions counselors? If so, what kinds of things do you email them about?